PDA

View Full Version : My Carnosaur WIP

beefpizza
26-07-2006, 02:55
Hi all.

You may know me as the person who is making the really big Stegadon. Even when I was thinking about how to make the Stegadon, I was thinking about a Carnosaur.

I finally went to the library and found some cool pictures of T Rex's and started to formulate my own version of a Carnosaur. First I wanted it to be like a ferocious Rex. A spiny back (sort of like the picture of a spikey tree) and huge claws and teeth. I also wanted it to be in a dynamic pose. I didn't want it to be rearing up weirdly, but rather running top speed and chomping on enemies.

I also wanted it to be scratch built (except for the rider). I was disappointed that my hard work on the Stegadon's basis of a LotR miniature meant that it couldn't be entered in any contests or White Dwarf.

So I got some Super Sculpy firm and started the wire frame.

I looked at the photos I got at the library and proportioned it all. I imagined it charging through leaning down about to eat screaming people. This is where the photos are at but as always, I will update when I get some progress done.

Oh yeah, sorry for the crappy red drawing, its just to show you my idea.

Also the Stegadon is not gone. I was in Japan for a month and will get back to it as soon as possible.

Hope you like it!

bluebugs
26-07-2006, 03:58
Well, i saw the steg and if it's as good as that, this will be a project worth folowing.

Bra'tac
26-07-2006, 08:34
Well, i saw the steg and if it's as good as that, this will be a project worth folowing.

IDEM..

I got my eyes on this one for sure:p

Bitterman
26-07-2006, 20:55
Finally! As a fan of all things T-rex, I find the GW version of the carnosaur being too tiny. You know what, I always envisioned the carnosaur as the V-rex from P. Jacksonīs King Kong.

Cheers!

Kotobuki
27-07-2006, 00:12
I know you said you're going for a T-Rex kinda look with him... but for a dinosaur that's being ridden into combat, to attack and rend the opponents... basing it on a Dinosaur that has been recently thought as more of a Scavenger than a Hunter seems a bit of a disservice to the Carnosaur.

That being said, I personally think the Allosaurus would be a better base. With the longer arms, and the rather large talons they carried, they'd be far more useful in combat for slashing, rather than the stubby T-Rex arms that are more useful for holding. A large Allosaurus is similar in overall length (about 1m shorter) to a T-Rex, but a built significantly lighter and decidedly more capable of running.

Also, it's blade like teeth are better designed to slashing and slicing, rather than the Conical teeth of the Rex which are more suited to crushing. And, while the T-Rex's head is quite a bit larger, and more capable of consuming larger quantities at once, the Allosaurus has a neat jaw with an extra lateral hinge to allow it open wider to the side, to get more in than a head of it's own size would normally allow. Not that you could really make that evident in the model.

It's also pretty commonly accepted that with it's slightly smaller size and build (and thus severly reduced mass) the Allosaurus was also capable of jumping. To at least a small extent. Yey for pulling Dragons and Gryphons out of the air?!

Of course... my suggestion is in large part due to the fact that I think Allosaurus are the most awesome thing ever. So, you can completely discount me if you'd like... but I'd appreciate you at least giving it a little consideration.

asmodai_dark86
27-07-2006, 02:01
This is going to be interesting to say the least.. Not sure about the overall shape yet, and like others I have doubts, but I saw that stegadon man... that thing was wrong and yet so right... I reckon you can do it and make it look good if you reckon you can.

One thing though. Please no guns. Rending claws, scything talons, but no guns on it. Make it look like its only bred to eat and kill rather then some of the shooty nids I've seen recently

bluebugs
27-07-2006, 03:14
um, i don't think this will be a tyranid dude, i think it's for lizardmen.

asmodai_dark86
27-07-2006, 03:41
again my eyes deceive me - carnosaur not carnifex...

Rissen
27-07-2006, 17:00
I know you said you're going for a T-Rex kinda look with him... but for a dinosaur that's being ridden into combat, to attack and rend the opponents... basing it on a Dinosaur that has been recently thought as more of a Scavenger than a Hunter seems a bit of a disservice to the Carnosaur.

That being said, I personally think the Allosaurus would be a better base. With the longer arms, and the rather large talons they carried, they'd be far more useful in combat for slashing, rather than the stubby T-Rex arms that are more useful for holding. A large Allosaurus is similar in overall length (about 1m shorter) to a T-Rex, but a built significantly lighter and decidedly more capable of running.

Also, it's blade like teeth are better designed to slashing and slicing, rather than the Conical teeth of the Rex which are more suited to crushing. And, while the T-Rex's head is quite a bit larger, and more capable of consuming larger quantities at once, the Allosaurus has a neat jaw with an extra lateral hinge to allow it open wider to the side, to get more in than a head of it's own size would normally allow. Not that you could really make that evident in the model.

It's also pretty commonly accepted that with it's slightly smaller size and build (and thus severly reduced mass) the Allosaurus was also capable of jumping. To at least a small extent. Yey for pulling Dragons and Gryphons out of the air?!

Of course... my suggestion is in large part due to the fact that I think Allosaurus are the most awesome thing ever. So, you can completely discount me if you'd like... but I'd appreciate you at least giving it a little consideration.

I have to agree with this guy here, I really think giving your carnosaur T-Rex arms would make it look a little silly...

Bitterman
27-07-2006, 19:17
I think that the T-Rex was both hunter and scavenger. But I am not starting a debate here. He can always model the main shape and head resembling those of a T-Rex, but having longer, 3-toed arms like the Allosaurus. It could even make the whole monster stand up from the mentioned dinos.

Anyway, the final model is up to his will, lol.

Edit: http://home.maine.rr.com/briscosandman/ebay/kongVrexBust.jpg

beefpizza
27-07-2006, 22:09
Hi all.
Yeah, I was planning on making the arms look a little more useful than they were on the T Rex. Thanks for the input and pictures, I'll definitely use them as reference.

So I attached the other leg via glue and wire and I started to bulk out the body with aluminum foil. Its not much but it is all that I can do in one day because it has to dry.

Enjoy!

Rissen
28-07-2006, 12:04
Nice! The aluminium is used because it's light and holds it's shape, right?

Edit: Looking at your model again, it's the best proof of evolution I've seen this week ;) very bird-like. This is a good thing in my opinion...

Bitterman
28-07-2006, 12:50
Cool! Although it seems a bit on the small size? I could be wrong too. BTW, Iīd want to know what its pose will look like, will it be running, roaring...?

Cheers!

HiredSword.
28-07-2006, 13:40
woo! Just as one brilliant thread ends, this one starts. I'll definately be watching this.

Norminator
28-07-2006, 14:00
If this is anywhere near the quality of the stegadon it will be a joy to watch. Good luck Beefpizza, I'm sure you can make a model that is wonderous to behold ;)

beefpizza
29-07-2006, 19:27
Hey guys,
I just bulked out the legs some more with aluminum foil and wire and then coated it with white glue for strength.
enjoy!

undead_jon
30-07-2006, 13:30
Looks like another really nice project you've started, looks good so far.

Just wondering, how big is this guy gonna be compared to the GW version?

J