PDA

View Full Version : Huron Blackheart and the Red Corsairs

kris.sherriff
26-07-2006, 16:34
Hi all,
Was thinking of doing a Red Corsairs army and converting up Huron Blackheart to lead them. Just had a few questions that I cant find the answers to in my old codex chaos.
1. Is the Tyrant's Claw a replacement for Huron's left or right arm?
2. Do you think I should use codex space marines or chaos to reprisent them? (if space marines should I use any traits?)
3. What was the colour of the Astral Claws chapter as I wanted these as the mainstray of the force?
Thanks in advance for the help guys an' girls
Kris Sherriff

gunhed
26-07-2006, 16:51
Can't help with the arm, but they were tiger striped, changing to red and black.

Try looking here (http://www.ironhands.com/chapters.htm)

FlashGordon
26-07-2006, 17:05
1. Right hand(drawing from wayne England if i remember correct).
2. They are chaos marines and should, to my opinion, be represented as such by the rules.
3. As above.

Daemonslave
26-07-2006, 17:08
I looked it up in Codex Chaos 2nd ed, but it doesn't say which side, only that all of one side of his body had to be repaired with bionics.

As well as his claw he has a power axe, and he is always accompanied by some sort of wierd pet called the Hamadrya.

Edit: Flash, do you have that pic, I've never seen one of Huron before.

schoon
26-07-2006, 17:42
I found this (http://www.coolminiornot.com/14311)... though I seem to remember that someone did a fairly good conversion at one of the GDs.

Zzarchov
26-07-2006, 19:30
I'd actually suggest space marines, just because they would have access to alot of the post-heresy space marine items, and not to alot of the highly warped daemonic elements that those from the Eye of Terror proper would have.

Melchiah
26-07-2006, 20:07
Can always try looking here.
http://www.redelf.h1.ru/w40k/ia/w40k_ia_badabwar.html
http://www.redelf.h1.ru/w40k/ia/w40k_ia_renegades.html
PS. that converistion is sick:p

SonofUltramar
26-07-2006, 20:41
I'm pretty sure that since they are stinking Heretics you should use the CSM Codex as it would give you more options to make your boss a sick SOB. According to the background in Cities of Death The Tyrant of Badab aka Huron was killed by a melta blast to the face so i would suggest coming up with your own character as he along with most of the Astral Claws got their butts kicked by the Star Phantoms and the Ordo Hereticus?

That and you already have a Marine army so it would be a nice change:)

kris.sherriff
26-07-2006, 20:50
I'm pretty sure that since they are stinking Heretics you should use the CSM Codex as it would give you more options to make your boss a sick SOB. According to the background in Cities of Death The Tyrant of Badab aka Huron was killed by a melta blast to the face so i would suggest coming up with your own character as he along with most of the Astral Claws got their butts kicked by the Star Phantoms and the Ordo Hereticus?

That and you already have a Marine army so it would be a nice change:)
Ah but thats where you are wrong the melta blast ruined half of his body and the Astral Claws fought a rear guard action to get him and the rest of the chapter in to space leaving their home world and fleeing in to the maelstrom, where Lufgt Hurin pledged an etarnity of service to the chaos gods and became Huron Blackheart, Tyrant of Badab, Master of the Red Corsairs, Lord of the Maelstrom, The Blood Reaver.:cool: :D

SonofUltramar
26-07-2006, 20:56
the melta blast ruined half of his body

Well if he was a Marine that would be instant death S8 Vs T4, lol. Yes i'm joking, i suppose you may have a point as he was only wounded "critically" not "mortally".

As i said before

stinking Heretics

kris.sherriff
26-07-2006, 21:10
If I were to use Codex Chaos, this is how I would run Huron Blackheart
Chaos Lord
Mark of Undevided
Power Weapon (his power axe)
Demonic Aura (The Hamadrya)
Ether Lance, Bionics and spiky bits (The Tyrants Claw)
Any one think of anything I am missing off him?

SonofUltramar
26-07-2006, 21:19
If I were to use Codex Chaos, this is how I would run Huron Blackheart
Chaos Lord
Mark of Undevided
Power Weapon (his power axe)
Demonic Aura (The Hamadrya)
Ether Lance, Bionics and spiky bits (The Tyrants Claw)

Not sure about the Ether Lance? I would be tempted to go with a Lightning Claw (no point in having the power weapon then) or a Power Fist and modelling it as a claw (maybe an Ork one) which would keep him tactically flexible and more importantly he'd look cool. Definitely keep the Spiky Bits and Bionics, again for character. The rest seems fine to me:)

kris.sherriff
26-07-2006, 21:31
The Tyants claw has a built in heavy flamer henc the ether lance can be used in combat and has a flamer attack thats why I went for that and although I could buy a ccw for the extra attack he is suppost to have a power axe so I will waste the points just to be fluffy lol

SonofUltramar
26-07-2006, 21:42
I could buy a ccw for the extra attack he is suppost to have a power axe so I will waste the points just to be fluffy lol

Now i know you're mad, to be honest i would just count the axe as a CCW as it is a needless waste of points, it is fluffy but i'm hoping some common sense breaks out soon. I've done a similar thing with my Black Templars Marshall (the first one) with 2 Power Swords to represent an ancient fighting style used by the Imperial Fists and their successors; i didn't waste points as nobody else cared about my fluff and in the end i used the points for something else. You'll cave, everybody does at some point when its "that extra upgrade" Vs "fluff" :)

Tyron
26-07-2006, 21:46
WS BS S T W I A LD
5 5 4 4 3 5 3(4) 10

Special Rules:
Fearless, Furious Charge

Terminators: Use Imperial Terminators, and upgrades.

Upgrades: His renegade marines may use imperial space marine upgrades.

Wargear:
Daemonic Armour
Bionics
Master-crafted Lightning Claw with built in heavy flamer
Power Weapon (axe)
Frag & Krak grenades
Mark of Chaos

kris.sherriff
26-07-2006, 21:49
Now i know you're mad, to be honest i would just count the axe as a CCW as it is a needless waste of points, it is fluffy but i'm hoping some common sense breaks out soon. I've done a similar thing with my Black Templars Marshall (the first one) with 2 Power Swords to represent an ancient fighting style used by the Imperial Fists and their successors; i didn't waste points as nobody else cared about my fluff and in the end i used the points for something else. You'll cave, everybody does at some point when its "that extra upgrade" Vs "fluff" :)
Ah but is you look at the list I have just posted in the army list board you will see that it comes to exactly 1500 and isn't lacking in amy real areas so I think I will stand by my fluff and never give in to the temptation of:cheese: :cheese: :cheese:
@Tyron ; Where can I find those rules mate???

Splagbot
26-07-2006, 21:53
In the 2nd edition codex they used the Space Marine codex as most of the marines he now has have joined since the rebellion.

I'm fairly certain it was the left side of his body that took the hit, although I admit I could be mistaken on this.

Inidentally my sig is actually a quote of his, a personal fave of mine and I think it should come to the
40K rulebook.

Tyron
26-07-2006, 21:56
@Tyron ; Where can I find those rules mate???

I made them up from what i know of the fluff. If you want i could work out points value and some stuff for the army list :)

kris.sherriff
26-07-2006, 22:20
If you like mate I can use it for friendly games.
I have had a shot at a list using codex chaos
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43536
I am planning on using a mix of parts to make them from ideas for now were using chaos bodies and jumpacks for the raptors (think they will be a mix of ex raven guard)
A furioso Dred for my dread
Not sure about the termis yet but the ass termi box would be the base of them I think.:)

Tyron
26-07-2006, 22:29
Sure np, i'll take a look tomorrow, looked at your thread and i dont think he should have infiltration due to his bionics, as it would make too much noise and doesnt fit the old fluff. Maybe replace it with furious assualt as he is said to be a crazy bastard in combat :P

the dark angel
27-07-2006, 17:21
if you already know this ignore me :p but theres a index astartes:red corsairs in UK WD 303 but if you know this ignore me;)

kris.sherriff
27-07-2006, 17:57
Didn't Know and don't have it what WD are we on now? lol Will have to see if I can find a copy.

the dark angel
27-07-2006, 18:04
we are on 319,it also shows how to model them and i think it has a conversion on blackheart and also how to paint them.its good some pretty good fluff though

kris.sherriff
27-07-2006, 18:08
I think I have most of the fluff in my 2nd ed codex but it is always fun reading, I may already have it somewhere as I can't remember when I stopped buying them

the dark angel
27-07-2006, 18:20
this is a bit off fluff from what i know as i collected them (a large 200pts force know)
the red corsairs where formaly known as the astral claws who fortified there home sector and held of the imperium for 8 years,there armour is mainly red and black with some gold trim for there spikes,huron blackhaert formed pacts with the dark 4 AFTER they fled from there home sector,he asked for immortality in return for himself and his chapter to serve them but they do not include daemons in there ranks,they still fight close to the codex astartes but are slightly more aggressive,after they fled from there home sector and after black haert gave the chapter to the dark 4 they enterd the maelstorm.

and thats all i know of the top of my head
hope i helped :)

MrInsomniac
27-07-2006, 19:35
Alternatively you can check the links that someone kindly posted for you on the first page. That has all the fluff on the Red Corsairs you'll need.

Warden
27-07-2006, 20:04
Isn't there an illustration of Huron in the 2nd ed Dex?

Isnt linking to Red Elf a forum no no? You know GW Ip etc?

Daemonslave
27-07-2006, 20:10
Nope, no pic of Huron :(

Captain Loken
27-07-2006, 20:22
this is just an aside but in first edition i belive that the Astral Claws were called the Tiger Claws which to me sounds hilarious:)

Chainsworded Codpiece
28-07-2006, 05:54
this is just an aside but in first edition i belive that the Astral Claws were called the Tiger Claws which to me sounds hilarious:)

They were, and their emblem from WD 101 was, as a matter of fact, sort of hilarious in retrospect. It was supposed to be a Bengal-style Tiger head, facing frontwards to the viewer.

But the manner in which it was drawn (small, to accomodate a tiny shoulderplate view amongst many such) meant that it was poorly done. The resultant heraldry looked more like a fluffy toy rendition of Tony the Tiger's head, looking slightly crosseyed, and mewing at the onlooker like a kitten (mouth partly open, but not roaring or showing teeth).

Ah well. At least the original Chapter Colors were kind of cool.

BrainFireBob
28-07-2006, 08:24
Danggit, put some things in different thread that should be here. If the original poster is still reading:

John Schaffer did an excellent Lufgt Huron conversion, with step-by-step, around WD 302 US or so.

kris.sherriff
28-07-2006, 11:25
I am still reading and am getting lots of good stuff. I am strugling to find a balance for the army as I want it to mainly be astrel claws but to have some other renagades in there do you think I should mix the odd one in to the squads or have full squads from other chapters?

the dark angel
28-07-2006, 11:34
I am still reading and am getting lots of good stuff. I am strugling to find a balance for the army as I want it to mainly be astrel claws but to have some other renagades in there do you think I should mix the odd one in to the squads or have full squads from other chapters?

i thought that if they where from over chapeters they would paint there armour black and red and there fore become a red corsair,dont know though. also the the red corsairs where called astral claws but before that tiger claws.the red corsiars still use there tiger claw emblem.

kris.sherriff
28-07-2006, 16:51
i thought that if they where from over chapeters they would paint there armour black and red and there fore become a red corsair,dont know though. also the the red corsairs where called astral claws but before that tiger claws.the red corsiars still use there tiger claw emblem.
If they are from other chapters they paint over their chapter symbols and iconography but other than that how much red they paint on id up to them. I don't think Mr Blackheart is too fussed aslong as they fight for him.
Also on a more perdantic note the Red Corsiars use a Tigers Claw as their emblem, the Tiger Claws emblem was a tigers head if I remember correctly.:)

FlashGordon
29-07-2006, 23:51
Sorry my mistake he has a Lightning claw ala abbadon(builtin "combibolter" on his left hand and a, what looks like, storm bolter in his right hand(could be a disproportial boltpistol also. On the right side of his head and between his shoulder guard is a "camera" lookin thingie. He has cabels going out of the back of his head. On his chest is a "vampire deamon skull"(big canine teeth). On his right shoulder pad is a 8 pointet symbol, on his left the centre of the 8 pointed star is a skull without the lower jaw(having Evil eyes). his backpack looks lika "ordinary" sm equivalent, with spikes and stuff.
There you go.

Daemonslave
30-07-2006, 15:53
Yep, he is on the cover of Into the Maelstrom (a BL book)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1841541036/202-3529404-5147048?v=glance&n=266239

(click for a larger pic)