PDA

View Full Version : Glorious charge - how does it work?

Bloodknight
27-07-2006, 03:51
As the title says:
I donīt really understand the Winged Lancersī and Gryphon Legionīs special rule. I understand that it forces a panic check from the opponentīs unit, but there are several questions:
1. When has that check to be taken: instantly after measuring if the unit is in range (and it is) or on impact (in BtB contact)?
2. What happens if the enemy runs away? Failed charge?

TheWarSmith
27-07-2006, 04:19
It's basically as though your unit is a terror causer, but only when charging. Usually, you see if the charge is reasonable, then roll panic. The charge could have been failed and you still run(your units aren't sure if they're in range either). what is "reasonable" is up to you, but it's not like you can give them a 24" charge just to panic things.

If the enemy runs away and you're no longer in your charge range, then yes, it's a failed charge, although you can redirect it if possible.

Gorbad Ironclaw
27-07-2006, 05:03
Actually, you only test for fear and terror and the like once you find out that the charge is actually in range. So the same would apply here.

EvC
27-07-2006, 13:07
Indeed, or you'd get this kind of situation:
"I'm going to charge that unit all the way over there- so take a panic test!"
"But it's clearly way out of range!"
"TAKE THE DAMN TEST!"
and then a unit that could never have been charged is forced to run... so it thankfully isn't like that.

Festus
27-07-2006, 17:03
Hi

The *glorious charge* kicks in just like a panic test when already engaged and then charged in the flank or rear.

This means that as soon as the charger is found to be in range, a panic test has to be made. After any and all charge reactions and such...

Greetings
Festus

TheWarSmith
29-07-2006, 20:14
Sorry for giving false information. I thought the charge simply had to be reasonable(i.e. no charging M4 troops at something 24" away)

Festus
29-07-2006, 20:57
Hi

Sorry for giving false information. I thought the charge simply had to be reasonable(i.e. no charging M4 troops at something 24" away)

NP

The charge has to be reasonable to be legal in the first place: You must not declare a charge that obviously fails - like in your example.

You may indeed declare a charge even if you are not sure that contact will be made, but if you know that the charge is impossible, you mustn't declare it in the first place.

*reasonable* and *obvious* are certainly loaded terms here, though :(