PDA

View Full Version : Liardmen: Slann or Carnisaur, or non?

Jhagadurn
27-07-2006, 14:35
Howdy guys,
I would have set this up as a pole, but I don't know how, so it is a thread.

Which one would you use, and why?

oh, I see how this works now, but I want to leave it like this.

sigur
27-07-2006, 14:53
People generally prefer using a Slann mage over having a Saurus boss on a Carnosaurus. Slann are much easier to defend/hide while being able to dish out MUCH damage without getting harmed themselves. Since you normally don't have more than one Lord choice so people go for the Slann.

Ivan the Terrible
27-07-2006, 15:53
I usually use an old blood on foot with the speed shoes. The carnosaur looks really cool as a model but I think it is too expensive. If it could fly... The slann is nice because it has a higher leadership than oldbloods.

Leonathion
27-07-2006, 16:05
Lizardmen dont really need high leadership you know... :P

I think the Oldblood on carnosaur is favorable beacouse of two things: The model is the best in the range of fantasy models and its much faster than the slann (you generally need a saurus unit to acompany him, which means 300 pts that wont ever get a charge... I dont fancy that.)

samw
27-07-2006, 16:43

I think the Oldblood on carnosaur is favorable beacouse of two things: The model is the best in the range of fantasy models and its much faster than the slann (you generally need a saurus unit to acompany him, which means 300 pts that wont ever get a charge... I dont fancy that.)

Actually the preffered Slann method is him solo with some jungle swarm protection.

ZomboCom
27-07-2006, 18:00
Carnsaurs are unfortunately extremely overpriced. They usually get cannoned or bolt throwered to death before they reach the enemy lines.

Voltaire
27-07-2006, 18:07
2nd Generation Slann all the way IMO.

Ivan the Terrible
27-07-2006, 23:39

Although the Lizardmen have less need of leadership than than many others, the slann's extra leadership combined with its role as bsb can give you a nearly unbreakable force. Also, even if your not into a heavy magic army, you still need magic defenses which a slann with a few scrolls can provide. When looked at this way, slann are actually an incredible bargain.

shadowprince
28-07-2006, 09:33
Go slann, there is nothing like killing somone wih a frog that needs some lizards to move it lol.

Twisted Ferret
28-07-2006, 23:45
Slann for sure. They're really the only Lizardmen unit I like! They're so incredibly mighty... you can just CRUSH the enemy mages and have power left over! :D

RaZeR
29-07-2006, 18:09
erm... I normally use a second level slann or a saurus oldblood on foot with the charm of the jaguar warrior :)
both have worked well for me, although i'm beginning to lean towards the oldblood, since it took out a unit of black orcs by itself from the front :)

I have also accquired a carnosaur recently though, so that'll have to have a try out soon ;)

Kroxhandler
01-08-2006, 09:11
I usually go with either a 2nd gen. Slann with all the trimmings or just a 4th gen. with Diadem and Plaque of Tepoc. A 4th gen. Slann gives you the most bang for your bucks I've found, expensive and good but not overpowering. I usually reserve the extra rare-slot for a second Salamander Hunting Pack. If the Carnosaur hadn't taken up one I might have been more undecided in the matter.

maze ironheart
03-08-2006, 12:04
i personally go for a normal slann in 2000 point battels but i simply like using magic it derpends if you want to be good in magic or combat slanns are very good spellcasters but do cost 325 points to begin with then you have the choice of the temple guard which are rock hard to get rid off or the plaque but with an old blood you have a combat monster that can kill with or with out a carnosaura it depends if your using an magic force or combat force

Voltaire
03-08-2006, 14:06
Level 4 Slann are the best option in my opinion. Their value for points in regards to general ability is unmatched, especially if you get the Totem which causes fear. This will give you a strong central unit that can anchor your army.

Carnisaurs just look nice. I would only go for one if I knew I was fighting a monster heavy army.

Tezzmaniak
04-08-2006, 11:58
Jep Slann is the best unit. Carno is "slow" and overpriced... Steg is cool thou