PDA

View Full Version : Why was Rogue Trader so called?

venusianfurs
17-06-2005, 17:59
Just that question. I get that the Astartes were key protagonists of Space Marine, the 2nd edition Epic, but I don't think Rogue Traders were ever a big part of wh40k as a game, were they?

Sojourner
17-06-2005, 18:15
Because the basis of the game was that your forces were under command of a rogue trader fleet. At the time, the principal method of Imperial expansion was via rogue trader fleets.

Incidentally, it was given the title "Warhammer 40,000" to avoid confusion with 2000AD's Rogue Trooper.

x-esiv-4c
20-06-2005, 00:27
as it says in the RT book, Rogue traders had entire contingents of marines at their disposal.

Skander
21-06-2005, 12:17
Weird it was...
and I never understood the random weaponry sistem on a miniatures game...

Gorbad Ironclaw
21-06-2005, 12:56
It's because it was more a roleplaying combat system with models than a real miniature game.
Thats why.

Brother Othorio
21-06-2005, 13:32
egads! i'd forgotten the random weapons, may they rest in hell..

actually funny thing that, when i was first getting into gaming we used mostly 40k figures, but generally made up our own rules (I think i based my first rules on Space Marine actually) ~ and for some reason i gave missile launchers randomly rolled ammunition, in one game the marine player rolled up his missile ammunition and got.. Anti-Plant Rockets, seeing as that would be a bit useless on the battlefield (which at that time was a pink quilt with polystyrene packaging on it to represent buildings ~ there was no foliage) i looked at the opposing army (mine) and noted that it included some plastic Gamorian Guards from a Star Wars boardgame.. and they were green.. so i ruled that they were actually related to plants (because most plants are green..) and therefor would be killed instantly by anti-plant munitions.. now the thing about Gamorian Guards is that they are basically pig-snouted orcs.. (and infact i seem to recall hearing recently that at that time D&D orcs were pig-snouted) skip forward many years, and lo and behold, GW changes the fluff on 40k orks so that they are now.. fungus.. spooky that..