PDA

View Full Version : book and box price, what to do?

Elannion
28-07-2006, 16:08
Hello i appologise if this has been posted anywhere else i have been away for awhile and so haven't checked. The pre order price for both these was officially put out on the store today or yesterday i forget which one. The book being 30 and the box set being 40. Originally i was thinking i wanna get that rule book i would like to look at the background and maybe i shouldnt be getting more models at the moment, however now that i see the price of the rulebook has gone up and how low the price of the box set is i am thinking get the box set being as i have a small dwarf army and i was thinking of getting a gobbo one, so what are you lot doing? it seems abit of a waste to me to get the rule book on its own being as its only 10 cheaper even if you don't have dwarfs of goblins, why is it that the box is so cheap in comparison to the book? i mean its not often you see such good value from games-workshop.

Crube
28-07-2006, 16:48
Because the rules you get in the box are just that - a small a5 type rulebook - no real background or modelling etc. almost a pamphlet size...

The Rulebook by itself is the full 300 page (or whatever)...

Personally I'm going for the main rule book, then pick up whatever models I need.

A neutral shade of black.
28-07-2006, 16:57
The rulebook is forty pages of rules and two hundred of the rest. The Battle of Whatever Pass (the name escapes me) book is just thoes forty pages. If you're only interested in playing the game or know someone who will be buying the rulebook, get the box - that allows you to have a "quicksheet"-ish version of the book to use during games, and you get the models too.

sigur
28-07-2006, 18:05
I'm definitly gonna get the full rulebook and maybe also the "Battle for *coughcoughcough*"-box as a start for an O&G army. Or I'll just get some of those gobbos online, ebay and similar sites will get swamped with offering for these.

Lardidar
28-07-2006, 18:10
Bought myself a copy of the old fantasy, when the new book comes out I'll get it free. Then buy a copy of Skull pass and swap the dwarfs for the gobbo's and hey presto I have an Orc and goblin army, full rule book for fluff and mini rule book for taking to tournaments, all for the bargain price of 90 :)

Crube
28-07-2006, 20:09
Actually, Lardidar - I Never thought of it like that. the small rule book will be handy for tourney's...

I am assuming in this that the small rulebook will contain ALL the rules, including the advanced stuff that will of course be used at tourney's (magic etc?)

Ivan Stupidor
28-07-2006, 20:47
I am assuming in this that the small rulebook will contain ALL the rules, including the advanced stuff that will of course be used at tourney's (magic etc?)

I expect so. I'm wagering it will be like the 40k Battle for Macragge rulebook - the full rules and the basic scenarios. The full version will have extra fluff, modelling tips, pretty pictures, and the specialized scenarios (The Seven Knights et al.), as well as various variations on the rules (Skirmish, etc.).

I'm getting Skull Pass and trading the gobbos for the dwarfs the local gobbo player will want to get rid of when he buys his copy of Skull Pass.

Lardidar
28-07-2006, 21:02

Full rules, just none of the hobby or fluff bits.