PDA

View Full Version : An Inquisitor goes to war...

Adept
28-07-2006, 20:37
...but who gets to tag along?

Basically, I'm intruiged by the idea of building an Inquisitor army. Probably Ordo Hereticus since I think they'd get more work, what with good old human greed and treachery accounting for most of the internal strife in the Imperium, as opposed to the Ordo Malleus, who only get to come out and play when Daemons are around.

So I'm thinking for smaller games, an Inquisitor would be more likely to round up the local Arbites to crack heads for him. I guess it's pretty rare that an Inquisitor would actually command a significant military force but when he does, who is he gonna call? Does he wait for the Sororitas to respond? Does he induct units from the nearest Guard regiment? Does he apply to the nearest Astartes chapter for aid? My first answer is; he does whichever will be quickest. But that doesn't help me when I'm trying to build an army. So my question is, I guess, which will be the quickest the most often? Personally, I'm leaning towards Sororitas, perhaps with Arbites or inducted guard standing in for PDF units along for the ride.

t-tauri
28-07-2006, 20:59
Some (most?) Inquisitors will have access to a private army which could be anything from Space Marines down to Inquisitorial Storm Troopers or Kroot mercs. Look at Inquisitor Lok in Anaphelion he's got his own D-99 Elysian gland troopers plus a heap of Red Scorpion marines. You could really have whatever you wanted.

From a fluff viewpoint the PDF as inducted guard should be most common, but can they be trusted? Sisters and marines aren't common in the universal scheme of things but may be more reliable. A few squads of ISTs either as stormtroopers or using the option of arbitrators should be available easily to most inquisitors expecting trouble. I'd tend to think that the ISTs would match the criteria of most readily available and reliable.

Adept
28-07-2006, 21:06
I'd tend to think that the ISTs would match the criteria of most readily available and reliable.

From what I can gather, the ISTs only really man Inquisition strongholds, and provide security to the Blackships. If an Inquisitor needs armed, it could take months for the ISTs to get there. But then, by the same token, I don't imagine there is a Sororitas monastery on every world either.

I guess the Inquisitor in question would put in the call for armed forces to be deployed to his location as soon as he believes there might be need for them. Then by the time they get there he's confirmed his suspicions, led the Arbites on a few raids, and is ready to rock and roll. So I guess ISTs could be a pretty good fit, background wise.

Puddy
28-07-2006, 21:14
I always think of it as simple as this:

he commands what he gets a hold of.
PDF, Adeptus Astartes, maybe not kroot - since it would be contradictory for a guy who hangs out with alienhunters. ;)

Adept
28-07-2006, 21:24
I always think of it as simple as this:

he commands what he gets a hold of.
PDF, Adeptus Astartes, maybe not kroot - since it would be contradictory for a guy who hangs out with alienhunters. ;)

Yeah, but that doesn't help me choose which models to include in the army now, does it?

Chainsworded Codpiece
28-07-2006, 21:27
In the Witch Hunter's Codex, it is made clear that one may essentially use Inquisitional Stormtroopers and "specially dedicated" squads of Adeptes Arbites as interchangeable. Stormtroopers, as was mentioned above, aren't always available.

But assuming a city/hive/nation/world isn't filled with bent cops, Arbites are always subordinate to the Inq., and will rush to their aid if there is a representative =I= present who requests it.

They don't go out of their way to do the =I='s work if the =I= is not actually present, of course. If the Inquisitor won't show up, then the problem isn't severe enough for the AA to start doing the Inq.'s work by proxy.

Or at least that's how I imagine they see it:)

Nonetheless, any Inquisitor without a crew of his own sufficient to bring to the gunfight can always call up a bastard squad of hard-asses from the SWAT-equivalents in the local Fortress-Precinct.

Rules state that they are effectively like Inq. Stormers, but are generally armed with shotguns as standard, rather than hellguns. Their veteran squad-leaders have access to the same WH gear as do vet. Stormers. And they get the same special weapons upgrades as those squads.

Now, since we're in background fluff, one could make a case for there being RP difficulties in a campaign setting (i.e., City/Hive campaign), where the =I= keeps asking for the "help" of the AA and chewing through their manpower. They might eventually chafe at being ordered around by the "outsider", no matter his legit superiority in the chain of command.

In-game, this might be represented by the AA troop-option being more and more expensive if used for more than 2 successive engagements, or when AA casualties are excessive (or total) for more than one engagement (at any time).

t-tauri
28-07-2006, 21:27
From what I can gather, the ISTs only really man Inquisition strongholds, and provide security to the Blackships. If an Inquisitor needs armed, it could take months for the ISTs to get there. But then, by the same token, I don't imagine there is a Sororitas monastery on every world either.

It depends how he deploys-does he sneak in and investigate with stealth and then call the cavalry or does he just land in a ship packed to the gunwales with crack Inquisition troops and start throwing his weight around?

Does he sneak in and have the ship lurking in the asteroids/ocean/starport with troops ready to deploy by Valkyrie/Drop Pod at 5 minutes notice? A high ranking Inquisitor can have a private army strong enough to fight all comers. A lower ranking one might have to flash his rosette at any commander he can get to.

You've the choice of whatever you want-a random mix of troops like arbites and PDF coerced into service by a desperate Inquisitor or a crack force at the whim of a prepared Inquisitor.

Puddy
28-07-2006, 21:37
Yeah, but that doesn't help me choose which models to include in the army now, does it?

Actually, it does.
So instead of thinking "oh, maybe just IST's" you got to the "absolutely anything"-idea.

Quite so.

Easy E
28-07-2006, 21:59
I think most inquisitors worth their salt have at least two squads of IST's ready to back them up. If the dookie hits the fan, he will need some quick back-up. This is besides his normal Retinue.

After that, his most likely course of action is Arbites if it's a small problem, and PDF if it's a widespread problem. Then, if that's not enough, or the PDF are compromised then he will escalate forces up to Sororitas and Astartes. If they are not available, then off-planet Guard will do.

Splagbot
28-07-2006, 22:44
As said above an Inquisitor is always IST support, but the most common kind of support is gonna be Guard, every world has it's own defence force, no matter how small.

nurgleman
28-07-2006, 22:56
Death cultists and assasins are pretty popular with radicals. I imagine they would use servitors too. Sanctiond pyskers would be a good choice too. Basically, the only thing you should avoid is vehicles.