PDA

View Full Version : ork body reaction to the vacuum

config
29-07-2006, 02:44
the ork body is quite different from my own so
what happens to an ork or a genestealer when it gets in to contact with space for a short period of time, maybe 30 sec to 5 minutes???

imagine an ork kommando that throws a grenade into a bunch of stealers next to a window or the outer hull onboard a space hulk creating a crack.

does an ork spezialforcefield protect from decompression?

so long

paddyalexander
29-07-2006, 03:07
The human body can survive in a hard vacum for short periods of time with nothing but stress on the blood vessels in your eyes or your ear drums. Any other effects are mainly "hollywood" inventions or science fiction stables from before people were aware of the effects of vacume on living things. The main thing about open space is that the tempeture in thge shade is close to absolute zero.

Orks are incredibly though. I'd say they could survive exposure a little longer than a human. A genestealer would just be a spawning designed to survive in vacum

Commander Ozae
29-07-2006, 03:17
A broodlord might be able to survive in a vacuum but later generations of steelers are unlikely although depending on the race they're copying who knows. Orks on the other hand, they are incredibly tough but a vacuum is a vacuum and would certainly cause them a great deal of damage. But an ork might believe that he won't be hurt so he won't be because of Waagh energy but that's pure speculation. So all in all: I don't know

Shaper Shakra
29-07-2006, 03:32
Why would a Broodlord survive in a vaccum if a regular genestealer couldn't? And that power of the Waagh stuff - it's garbage. An ork could just believe he would never die and he would never die.

Bmaxwell
29-07-2006, 04:05
But the ork has seen other orks die so said ork knows orks can die therefore unless there is some really deep brain washing going on the ork knows that orks can die.

Shaper Shakra
29-07-2006, 04:16
But what if all the orks thought the couldn't die so none of them ever died so none of them ever saw an ork die so didn't know orks could die so never died?

Lord of ???
29-07-2006, 04:57
But none of the Orks do so your argument falls flat there.

And besides theres this thing with Orks called Genetic knowledge

Lets just say its in there

Dspankdo
29-07-2006, 05:19
waagh energy helps things along but it cant exactly save an ork from absolute zero

TheSanityAssassin
29-07-2006, 06:25
an ork could survive the hard vaccum for probably slightly longer than a human, but he'd face the same issues from cold/lack of air....

Psiweapon
29-07-2006, 09:35
But an ork would regenerate afterwards, short of whole limbs being crispy crystal frozen. And if he loses any important part yet it's still alive, that's what Painboyz are for!

Helicon_One
29-07-2006, 18:06
Waagh energy is little more than a placebo effect (assuming one agrees that placebos genuinely do have a slight positive effect). It doesn't turn Orks into unstoppable killing machines that can shrug off lascannon hits to the face, it doesn't mean that an Ork can hold a bent stick and shout "PEWPEWPEW" and his enemies will fall over dead, and it won't save him from prolonged exposure to hard vacuum and temperatures approaching absolute zero.

To give an example, yes the Red Paint Job actually does appear to make an Ork vehicle go faster. But that isn't because of Waaagh energy getting out and pushing the vehicle along. Its simply that painting the vehicle red means that the driver believes that it will go faster and wants to get the best out of his 'improved' vehicle, and so subconsciously the Trukk will be driven more aggressively, the driver will be willing to cut more corners and ignore minor obstacles in its path as he barrels across the battlefield.

Don't get carried away with what Waaagh energy actually is.

Tim

t-tauri
29-07-2006, 18:24
The evidence on earth is that fungi, bacteria and viruses can survive fairly extreme conditions. If the ork body has some sort of shut down response like a fungal spore encystment then the body could shutdown and restart (or at least spore) when it got into more amenable conditions. I'd guess an Ork could remain operational in a vacuum for two or three minutes or more before it started to run low on oxygen.

As for people then NASA (http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/answers/970603.html) seem to think you can survive short periods-maybe a minute or two. Just don't hold your breath.

Commander Ozae
29-07-2006, 21:04
Orks are reported to be able to survive horendous injuries and keep coming, so maybe they could survive longer than a human but in the end they would die, i think even orks need to breathe.

config
29-07-2006, 22:18
i am sure they would die in zero kelvin, zero atmosphere, zero tolerance free space.

but at least while the mere human would die after 1 to 2 minutes because of the vacuum (not the temperature, still inside the vessel) the physical superior ork could grab the human press him against the hull fissure, slide through the closing emergency air lock door, lighten a cigar and beat some stealers.;)

so long

nurgleman
29-07-2006, 22:32
to say what I think im using this lame movie quote. "Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing that happens to everything else.." courtesy of X-men.

ZigZagMan
30-07-2006, 17:23
The ork would probably freeze solid. And then be able to be thawed out later with not too much problem.

The old fluff for Genestealers said they could survive hard vaccum ( as opposed to soft vaccum?) for a couple days at most, they would sucrete a substance that would harded over thier bodies to protect them for a while.

TheSonOfAbbadon
30-07-2006, 17:31
The ork would probably freeze solid. And then be able to be thawed out later with not too much problem.

Apart from, you know, being dead.

Orks need to breathe, there's nothing to breathe in an absolute vacuum, ergo they'd die.

Commander Ozae
30-07-2006, 18:39
Exactly. Orks might not need to breathe as much as humans but obviously they do need to eat and breathe. Therefore, the Ork would die from lack of air and/or food long before it froze to death presumably because they can survive such extremes of temperature. however, i would like to point out, that the most highly evolved (or mutated) Navigators (Heirs Apparent?) are capable of surviving in a vacuum indefinetly. I don't have any idea how but if anyone has any ideas we could figure out how they survive and then figure out if orks have similar capabilities.

TheSonOfAbbadon
30-07-2006, 20:35
i would like to point out, that the most highly evolved (or mutated) Navigators (Heirs Apparent?) are capable of surviving in a vacuum indefinetly.

What, even without food?

And where did you find this information?

DaFabsta
30-07-2006, 22:21
to say what I think im using this lame movie quote. "Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing that happens to everything else.." courtesy of X-men.

I think that sums it up nicely

Lord Dante
30-07-2006, 22:31
This all about pressure - and If an ork bleeds, which im pretty sure it does then any liquids contained inside the body ie. Blood will try to equalize with pressure in space...

Put another way, you pop. I expect an ork would last longer then a human, as a human would last longer then a mouse for example...

config
30-07-2006, 22:58
as t-tauri already mentioned, according to nasa (http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/answers/970603.html) you do not pop in space but will get a rather serious sun and freezer burn at the same time.

so long

config
30-07-2006, 23:18
you have to merge facts and real science with slimy aliens and sword wielding, tank killing lunatics to make it sci-fi, otherwise you would have star wars:

fantasy with robots, lasers and "we got deathstar (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/174837)" ;)

where no one even cares to explain how a device could function

so long

config
30-07-2006, 23:54
thanks for the great site, i love those atomic, asimov, foundation rockets

Lord Dante
30-07-2006, 23:59
Its odd because if u bring up deep sea creatures the lack of pressure causes thier bodies to 'come apart' due to the lack of presure holding them together.

The situation Nasa explains is only for a few seconds - what about 5mins or more etc... ?

SLeepy
31-07-2006, 00:19
Well, I made this big reply with an Iron glove of facts.... but then I accidentally tried to search for more ork fluff.... on the same page (grrr, almost as bad as hitting the back button).

Well, lets make it shorter (had a short story and everything). The gases in your blood separate. You get the worst case of "the bends" possible. You rupture blood vessels and bleed out of every hole you have. You are cold, but the temp is between 10 degrees C and ..... something lower. We are assuming said decompression is happening somewhere after Venus and before Jupiter as most space battles (in 40k) are fought by planets.

So you get back to the ship within 10-20 seconds and you did not take a deep breath before being vented. You are cold, but not frozen. Your entire body should feel like one big bruise (ruptured blood vessels from the gases). You are in excruciating pain from "the bends" and may or may not be unconscious. Your body should be going into shock. Now you die from "the bends". You cannot be decompressed (you where already in hard vacuum), so unless you get something that can scour all the separated gases from your body, you die.

The reports of exposure to a vacuum and survival is just minor exposure. The guy that had a hole in his suit wasn't exposed for all that long (chamber was being re-pressurized and his suits integrity was good for all of 14 seconds (or something like that. Besides, it was a small hole). The guy with the hand in a vacuum experienced exactly what you would in a vacuum. His hand experienced an extreme case of "the bends", but the blood was still flowing as a strong rate and that must have done something positive for it. (Probably reduced the effects by keeping fresh blood to the cells)

The same is said for the ork. They only reproduce by way of fungus and are close to humans in many ways. The ork body will probably manage to regenerate its self after about a day to a week. (If I remember correctly, the only way to be sure is to break the spine) Now after five minutes.... letís just say that the ork isn't coming back after all its body fluids leak out. Then again, the ork could be down for the count... itís hard to tell on something that is part fungi.

config
31-07-2006, 00:25
maybe you will have microscopic internal injuries, fissures in your whole body or at least under your skin but you will not pop in a fountain of blood and gore.

after some seconds you are unconscious after 2 minutes you are dying according to nasa and maybe even when they could get you back into an atmosphere after 2 minutes you would die of your injuries.

so our ork would have some minutes before getting unconscious and would die some minutes later.

so long

sleepy:
you were faster... :)

wharris1
31-07-2006, 15:44
I don't know about orks but the spacehulk fluff stated that genestealers could hibernite and survive exstented periods with no food, in temperatures below zero in the vacume of space.

so i think that a genstealer could withstand floating around in space for a bit.

Shaper Shakra
31-07-2006, 18:20
That's an extremley funny image. A squad of 20 Genstealers frozen in space just floating around....and why would an Ork recover from the effects of the vacuum? And I swear, if you bring up "Orkses got super psychic powers that stop them from dying!!eleven!!!!" I will....do something.

Kymar
31-07-2006, 18:38
Its odd because if u bring up deep sea creatures the lack of pressure causes thier bodies to 'come apart' due to the lack of presure holding them together.

The situation Nasa explains is only for a few seconds - what about 5mins or more etc... ?

I'm pretty certain that deep sea animals "come apart" due to gravity. Deep in the ocean, the dense seawater would mean they'd have an obscene amount of buoyancy and such gravity would have little effect. Once in the air, they'd deflate like a ruined souffle as gravity has more effect on them. In space, there's zero gravity and such the body isn't going to be under very much stress.

Now I'm certain we'd have a freeze dried ork pretty quickly so da Boy isn't probably coming back. Perhaps his spores might survive and if they were thawed out, more Orks might start growing.