PDA

View Full Version : Space vessel or Space Hulk interior?

config
29-07-2006, 10:34
do any resources exist on the interior of space vessels and space hulks? is there any official or unofficial fluff or art that describes or shows the interiors of these vessels.

i exclude the "Space Hulk" tiles because they do not show a real blueprint of a spaceship, -hulk IMO.

right now i imagine space vessels to consist of different layers behind the hull.

1. Layer: cargo compartments or containers / arms / life pods / thrust machinery
2. Layer: cabin compartment / command decks
3. Layer: essential systems (life support, network, communications grid, power grid etc.)
4. Layer (Core): power station(s), warp engine

But i am not sure, i.e. does the typically big imperial vessel has one power station or more.
Where and what is the warp engine, is it something attached to the outer hull radiating normal space to open warp space or something in the ships core creating some kind of energy field around the ship hauling it into warp space?

so long

Inquisitor Maul
29-07-2006, 12:32
Try geting your hand on Execution Hour and Shadow point. While desriptions of ship interiors are sparce, those books provide the best info (along with a realy good read).

NashTrickster
29-07-2006, 13:26
I know they are seen as "bad sources" but there are a lot of ship interior descriptions scattered through the Black Library books... IIRC, Ravenor countains quite a bit of info that hints at how a Rogue Trader's ship is organized, Angels of Darkness gives a few hints as to the general organization of a Space Marine Strike Cruiser... I'm sure there is a lot more in other BL books... Collecting all that info together would maybe allow to get a sufficiently adequate idea of how ships are organized.

But AFAIK nothing exists that would ressemble anything like accurate floorplans of ships...

=====

Where and what is the warp engine, is it something attached to the outer hull radiating normal space to open warp space or something in the ships core creating some kind of energy field around the ship hauling it into warp space?In fact, according to most sources I can think about there are 2 different machines doing those things in interstellar ships: the Gellar field generators which keep the ships insulated from Warp space (those are apparently sprouting from the hull to radiate a shield of some kind) and the Warp engine itself, which "folds space" and opens the door between dimensions...

schoon
29-07-2006, 19:25
There really hasn't been anything that explicitly gives the "floorplan" for an Imperial (or any other race for that matter) ship.

There are snippets in the BattleFleet Gothic LRB that hint at general layout, as well as some implied positioning in Black Library books (see above suggestions), but as most vessels are kilometers in length, and I'm sure that an average hulk is at least 10km or so AND is an amalgamation of many vessels and debris.

Thus, mapping one out is something of an epic undertaking, something to the effect of the World's Largest Dungeon (http://www.worldslargestdungeon.com/).

For what purpose are you considering this project?

Kage2020
29-07-2006, 20:16
You can also check out Fire Warrior, though to be honest that is caught up in the problems of the Image of the 40k universe itself. If you're wanting starship plans you're going to have to go to other game universe and, as a general rule, the more detail you want the smaller the ship is going to be.

I've been dropping hints at the Black Library and Black Industries that an Enterprise Blueprints-style product would actually be a good idea. I don't think that they're very interested, though.

Kage

config
29-07-2006, 21:46
i play space hulk 1st and create some new campaigns at the moment.

i also try to update/rewrite the space hulk rules and want to stay true to the fluff, so expect more questions in the future :D

so long