PDA

View Full Version : Chaos dragons vs. Normal ones

RobbiP
29-07-2006, 21:05
For the intentions of modelling them- does a chaos dragon have to have 2 heads? Or is just 1 fine?

TheWarSmith
29-07-2006, 21:41
It really does have to have 2 heads, as it has 2 breath attacks, so unless you plan on turning his ass at them and farting, you'd need 2 heads.

EvC
29-07-2006, 21:46
Well it depends how much you care for WYSIWYG, init? Three are all kinds of ways you could get around it, "Ooh, he's got a bit of Tzeentch in him, so his second breath attack is actually him firing his violet fire of Tzeentch thingy. Yeah, that's the ticket..."

Voltaire
29-07-2006, 22:08
There are options though - use the standard dragon or the one with Egrim Van Horstmann.

RobbiP
29-07-2006, 22:17
See, I was going to use the DE Dragon (because it's plastic) but I realized that the whole number-of-heads thing would become a problem... but then again, can't you just say that the one head makes 2 breath attacks, just different ones?

P.s. the fart of doom thing would be perfect if my lord was Nurgle

the_night_reaper
30-07-2006, 04:22
For $9 (canadian $) you could bitz order one of galrauch's heads and just glue it on so it's splitting form the neck with a bit of green stuff to make it fit in.

Gorbad Ironclaw
30-07-2006, 04:37
But using a head from Galrauch suffers from two problems. First of all, it's split in half, so will look really weird, second, it's ugly :p

There was an excelent conversion guide in the 4th ed chaos book on how to make one though.

TheWarSmith
30-07-2006, 04:44
how about this.

Buy a blister or 2 of flamers and cut/green stuff them into his neck. The 2nd breath attack could be representative of them acting together.

Festus
30-07-2006, 07:21
Hi

How about not caring at all? Go for it, mate!

It isn't as if the CHaos Army had access to another type of Dragon, and it always comes with two Breath Attacks. So there is no way to be confused here.

WYSIWYG does not come into it here, as long as it is a Dragon and part of a Chaos Army, it can only be a Chaos Dragon (apart from the DOW one, but this has to be strictly WYSIWYG IMNSHO).

If you wanted to, you could put a blobby winged thingy on a 50mm and call it a Dragon. And I would like it too if it looked suitably chaotic :)

Greetings
Festus

Neknoh
30-07-2006, 08:21
Hrmm... blobby winged thingy with two teethy mouths and lots of warts = Chaos Dragon of Nurgle... you know... you might be onto something there Festus :p

What you could do would somply be to sculpt some form of mouths etc. on the neck of the DE dragon, kinda like the Great Chaos Dragon model from Forge World has on it's chest

squiggoth
30-07-2006, 09:30
Hi

How about not caring at all? Go for it, mate!

It isn't as if the CHaos Army had access to another type of Dragon, and it always comes with two Breath Attacks. So there is no way to be confused here.

WYSIWYG does not come into it here, as long as it is a Dragon and part of a Chaos Army, it can only be a Chaos Dragon (apart from the DOW one, but this has to be strictly WYSIWYG IMNSHO).

If you wanted to, you could put a blobby winged thingy on a 50mm and call it a Dragon. And I would like it too if it looked suitably chaotic :)

Greetings
Festus

Bingo - there's no way that a Chaos Dragon can't have two breath attacks, so you could even model him as a headless dragon with 48 tails and chicken wings and he'd still be a Chaos Dragon and thus have two breat attacks. ;)

If I ever find one very cheap, I'll use a Great Spined Dragon (http://solegends.com/citcat88/0802dragons.jpg) as my Nurgle Dragon.The thing is the size of a Jack Russel terrier. :D

Gorbad Ironclaw
30-07-2006, 11:03
Aye, it can't really be confused with anything else, so there shouldn't be a problem.

In fact, a chaos dragon could be anything even remotely dragon like.

EvC
30-07-2006, 11:33
There was an excelent conversion guide in the 4th ed chaos book on how to make one though.

That was one of then old-fangled one-headed Chaos Dragons, wasn't it?

skavenguy13
30-07-2006, 11:50
Model a gigantic tail and say the second breath attack is his tail. He swung it over his head.

Or model a second mouth on the same head (I've also seen a guy splitting the mouth in 2, which looked nice).

Rikkjourd
30-07-2006, 19:30
How about not caring at all?

This is the correct answer! =)

Do as you please. It doesn't matter if you model 0 or 250 heads, as long as you make it clear where you will do your breath attack from. Making it clear has nothing with modelling or painting to do, it is a simple matter of telling your opponent before you start the battle.

RobbiP
31-07-2006, 11:27
Alright, excellant then.

Gorbad Ironclaw
31-07-2006, 12:10
That was one of then old-fangled one-headed Chaos Dragons, wasn't it?

As I remember it, it was an old metal dragon, that was converted into having two heads.

And a nifty conversion of a slaanesh lord too, to ride it if I remember correctly.

EvC
31-07-2006, 15:16
Yeah, I distinctly remember the rider being the Slaneeshi champion model with a bald head and a raised whip, but I'm sure I specifically remembered that it only had one head... I could be wrong though. I'd do a search for it, but somehow I don't think it'd bring up a picture of the model we're thinking of...

Sandals
31-07-2006, 15:33
I've got the WD the article is in (if it's the same one it sounds it from the description of the rider) , but it won't be any help as I don't have a scanner. The dragon only has one head, even after the conversion, but it was coverted to have two tails.
sorry if this doesn't help!