PDA

View Full Version : What is meant by 'tabletop ready'?

TwilightOdyssey
30-07-2006, 02:21
Title says it all. What does 'table ready' or 'tabletop ready' mean?
My painting skills are rudimentary, at best, and I've seen some sites where people rip into other people's minis, even though they look a million times better than I could ever do! I think even a basic paint job looks nice if it's carefully done.

brother_fandango
30-07-2006, 02:56
# colors, other than undercoat, and sometimes to be based = tabletop ready.

nothing fancy, just needs to show effort

BrainFireBob
30-07-2006, 04:30
As a note, I love painting, but I'm not great, but y'know, you actually get respect for a mediocre to poor paint job if it's consistent, universal, and bad not because it's sloppy-looking.

Paint your guys, use a basic range of colors. Think about it: Eyes (if applicable) primary color, secondary color, gun color (try black casing and metal clips and barrel)- pick out pre-moulded fancy bits in a metallic, maybe, and that's a minimum of FIVE colors you've used. Base them (simply brown-paint and green flock mix is fast), maybe varnish them, use waterslides of some sort- and you'll get respect even from the hardcore painters for finishing your army. Given you do all models this way.

starlight
30-07-2006, 04:39
Table Ready basically means acceptable in a GW store/event.

Minimum standard of: three colours on the model and based.

Even Necrons can do this with a base, drybrush and gun colour - so no-one should ever have an excuse.:p

SisterMordagg
30-07-2006, 04:51
As long as your models have paint on it, and it is mostly in the right places, go ahead and play. If someone wants to jump down your throat for you three color scheme, they aren't worth playing with.

Don't take this to mean that you should just slap paint on 'em. Just do your best and don't worry too much.

mulchie
30-07-2006, 05:55
actually i have never gotten around to basing any of my 40k models, does this mean i could never use them in a GW store???

TheWarSmith
30-07-2006, 05:56
tabletop ready means

3 colours on the model(primer not included)
base painted
base flocked/modeled in some way

susu.exp
30-07-2006, 09:22
It aparently means flocked. I entered a modeeling comp with a base that was putty sculpted rock and got told that I couldn´t because there was no flock or static grass on the base. I ended up glueing a tiny ammount of flock on the underside of the base, which was accepted as legal, though not visible...

god octo
30-07-2006, 09:40
As a note, I love painting, but I'm not great, but y'know, you actually get respect for a mediocre to poor paint job if it's consistent, universal, and bad not because it's sloppy-looking.

Same here, im not very good, but some models are better than others and they are all based nicely , so im happy. i hate people who can paint amazingly:cries:

Minister
30-07-2006, 12:08
Bases being required to be flocked is most odd, particularly for urban or desert basing (and even more for swamp).

Anyway, if you've actually bothered to paint the model to a half-decent standard and you've painted and flocked/otherwise textured the base, nobody will argue.

By way of example:
http://uk.games-workshop.com/orks/getting%2Dstarted/4/
The second one along would, if the base were edged, represent a basic gaming standard. The third would be decent gaming standard, the fourth good gaming standard and the last one basic presentation standard.

TwilightOdyssey
30-07-2006, 12:08
Thanx for the info!!