PDA

View Full Version : Large tzeentch daemon units?

the_night_reaper
30-07-2006, 04:31
I just noticed in the profile that a unit of screamers can have up to 20 models! Has anyone ever used a unit of this size before? Being immune to psychology and with the daemonic instability as well as their awesome fighting skills they would be a nearly unstoppable unit (although a 600+point unit)

They could fly straight over the opponents main battle line causing 20 s3 hits whic should be able to cause a panic test in any low armoured t3 unit. And the turn after, being so large, they could charge multiple warmachines or units at once and with so many attacks, probably win combat.

anyway I've never tried this, have any of you?

TheWarSmith
30-07-2006, 04:38
It'd also be STUPIDLY unwieldy to put 20 40x40mm bases on the board with skirmish spacing. It'd be overkill for sure.

I usually run 5, although 6-7 would be even better.

Psyren
30-07-2006, 07:52
I'd really like to have a big unit of them that size, although I wouldn't want to fork out 120 for 20 models:(

Shaitan
30-07-2006, 11:38
A unit of 20 screamers is a big waste of points in my point of view. Their unit strength is always 1 and they don't get any rank bonuses or standard. That's 0 static CR wich means that they should be used for war machine / mage hunting, or against fast cavalry or other small units. I think a unit of 5 will do that just fine. Maybe a bit more because of the slashing attacks :evilgrin:

What unit size do you guys prefer to use your Horrors? I have used them in units of 12 so they have S3 hits on their Fire of Tzeentch and casting value 6.

Anyone ever tried units of 20 Horrors?

Voltaire
30-07-2006, 11:50
I run a unit of 5 - more than substantial.

jahorin
30-07-2006, 15:40
i just bought some for me deamonic legion. i only had enough points to field 3. i will have to remove some stuff to boost the unit to 5 because it was not enough. 5 or 6 seems the right number for them.

@Shaitan : screamers have a US of 2 each. so a unit of 20 would have a total US of 40.

and for the horrors. i field a unit of 21 horrors and 2 units of 12. they perform great. the 21 strong is to get the magic missile at S5... nasty! you can find the list here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=762528&postcount=1)

DirtJumper
30-07-2006, 16:30
Screamers are a Flying Unit, and thus will only ever have a US of 1. Also, if you're going to bring a large unit of Horrors, it will pretty much always have to be at least 20 (for full CR), and when you're droping that many points on one unit, you may as well throw in a couple more for the str5 attack. Although i've always used units of 12 (under 6th ed rules), as their best spell is Corrusication of Energy, not the magic missile one (even though it does have more range, Corrusication is just far more distructive.)

the_night_reaper
30-07-2006, 23:09
Screamers are a Flying Unit, and thus will only ever have a US of 1.

Where is that written?

the dark angel
31-07-2006, 11:26
20! 20!screamers? why would you want that many anyway?id only ever go for a max of 8 mabey if i have the points push it up to 9 or mabey even 10!but 20 thats big,yes it would hurt against your opponent,but could you fit them all on a 6x4 board with out blocking your other units path?

andy10k
31-07-2006, 12:02
A unit of 20 screamers is a big waste of points in my point of view. Their unit strength is always 1 and they don't get any rank bonuses or standard. That's 0 static CR wich means that they should be used for war machine / mage hunting, or against fast cavalry or other small units. I think a unit of 5 will do that just fine. Maybe a bit more because of the slashing attacks :evilgrin:

What unit size do you guys prefer to use your Horrors? I have used them in units of 12 so they have S3 hits on their Fire of Tzeentch and casting value 6.

Anyone ever tried units of 20 Horrors?

Im pretty sure they are unit strength 2 each.

I run 2 x 21 units of horrors with full command, one has an icon aswell, for that nice 4+ ward save, though might take it out as it never really helps lol.

I think the units of 21 are better than 10 as they can stand their ground a little better in combat before they pop (unless your that good at rolling) and then you can fly your screamers (which should be watching over the horror units) and/or your prince/exalted daemon over there.

They really are a nice back bone to a tzeentch daemon legion.

Shaitan
31-07-2006, 12:42
Page 41 of the Warhammer Rulebook states that a "Unit flyers" has unit strength 1

Jedi152
31-07-2006, 12:45
Bah. 40 horrors, allowing them to cast spells with a casting value of 20. Dispel that.

DirtJumper
31-07-2006, 16:36
...Then you get to use a d6 str5 magic missile. Woo. Or a spell that any other unit of horrors can use to the same effect. Not worth the 600 points ;)

But I suppose casting value of 20 is scary none the less.