PDA

View Full Version : Chicago GD - Autarch Pictures & Discussion

Pages : [1] 2

EldarRaven
30-07-2006, 04:51
Hey guys here are some of the images that I got from games day. I will put them up as I upload them. They will be in this first thread.

Painted Autarch (http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k225/EldarRaven/AutarchColor.jpg)
Autarch Information (http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k225/EldarRaven/Autarchinfo.jpg) Less Blur

This maybe on a different thread but I thought I would put this because some people asked about the Autarch. They are making 3 different body cast for him. Each will come with all the options they can have. All are metal. Also one will come in the big army box as a special "buy only here". When you look at this Autarch just cut off the wings, arms, and head and that's what it will look like.

Vilicate
30-07-2006, 04:54
Sweet....I can't wait to see what other stuff comes in his blister.

He looks really cool to me though.

karamazov
30-07-2006, 04:54
Good job Eldar Raven, looks great!

Thanks!

Cover looks awesome! IMO

Yarick Zan
30-07-2006, 04:55
hmm a bit blury on the picture but overall good to have.

Tigerguy
30-07-2006, 05:02
Not sure I like the headgear, but very promising. Were there multiple Autarch models, and does each one come with a selection of kit? I know they're supposed to be metal, but is it a boxed set or a blister?

fieryum
30-07-2006, 05:07
i want to wait and see what parts of the model are interchangable

Isambard
30-07-2006, 05:19
That Autarch is spanking gorgeous! Thanks for the upload!

Colonel_Kreitz
30-07-2006, 05:22
Wow, I actually do rather like the Autarch. And, weirdly enough, I really like the cover too. It's colorful, with rainbow, pastel colors. Yet all the colors are a little off and seem mildly disturbing (or it's just an odd camera effect) so I like it!

warmaster
30-07-2006, 05:26
lol, look at the scorpion in the bottom left corner of the cover... looks a bit familiar dont you think!:D

also, is that an autarch in the centre, or a red scorpion exarch, cause he has the mandiblasters...

edit: oh, if theres a unique autarch in the box, does that mean eldar get two limited edition models, autarch and bonesinger?

Isambard
30-07-2006, 05:41
Well, I was buying the army set anyway, which is good.

Anyone notice its a male Autarch with a Banshee Mask :)

Asuril
30-07-2006, 05:42
That Autarch is %$&'n SWEET!

The Scorpion on the cover with the crab claws made me Lol, however.

Aurelien
30-07-2006, 05:42
Dont much like the horsehair things, they make him look to similar visially to that SM sergant sude who had them.

Apart from that, he looks damn cool:D Thanks for sharing.

warmaster
30-07-2006, 06:03
whats the light blue model on the left of the painted autrach picture?

Hellebore
30-07-2006, 06:06
Those scorpions look soooo sweet - here's hoping that all the scorpions get the dreads :evilgrin:

Me likey the Autarch too.

hellebore

Alessander
30-07-2006, 06:32
Dammit, they finally show a full color illustration of the newest daemonettes, and neither of them have the boobs :angel:

Is the Autarch model wearing a Banshee mask or an Avenger helmet?

whats the light blue model on the left of the painted autrach picture?
Dire Avenger, i'd say. Helmet plume is pretty distinct.

Izza
30-07-2006, 06:34
Dammit, they finally show a full color illustration of the newest daemonettes, and neither of them have the boobs :angel:

are those the bodies at the autarch's feet?

I was just about to ask if anyone knew what they were;)

Elanthanis
30-07-2006, 06:38

Both I'd think.

TomKamakazi
30-07-2006, 06:41
Godamn sweet!
I'm impressed with the Autarch, he is very reminiscent of the old SM Commander, but I suppose it's meant to be an Avenger style hemet hopped up and comanderly, with banshee psy-amp built in.

karamazov
30-07-2006, 06:55
The Autarchs helmet is a nod to the Tiranoc Chariot of the High Elves in fantasy.

http://www.solegends.com/citcat9x3/c92375hechariot-02.htm

charrky
30-07-2006, 07:32
I thought the model would look cooler... or in a bit more dramatic pose

Gabekun
30-07-2006, 07:40
Unimpressed by the Autrarch. I know its supposed to show elements from each aspect, but to me it just looks like a guardian with rehashed crap stuck on, in a very uninspired pose.

The codex cover looks nice, though.

Brimstone
30-07-2006, 07:46
Both I'd think.

It can't have both so it's a banshee mask.

ReDavide
30-07-2006, 07:49
The autarch's head is great. The cloak & sword are good. The rest is blah. The wings in particular look really out of place on him - his body pose just wasn't made for them.

Can't stand the cover. If I look to the side, the autarch image has a nice appearance, but if I look at him, all illusions are gone: He's wearing no armor below the breastplate. Just spandex. With little 2D pads painted on.

Not a fan of the scorpions with kitty whiskers either. And unlike their autarch, not only are they wearing spidey suits, but they're in spidey poses as well. :eyebrows:

I like the open webway portal framing the autarch though. I haven't seen too many of those in GW artwork yet.

And the dead daemons at his feet are very nice. Whoever designed them should have been the one to design the Possessed marine models.

edit: The cover autarch's robes are also a nice touch. I hope we'll see some of that design on actual models?

FRS
30-07-2006, 08:12
Thanks for postings thoses pictures, i find the Autarch's pose a bit static.

Poseidal
30-07-2006, 08:28
The cover more reminds me of the 2ed Codex cover than the 3ed one, with the large amount of Eldar in the picture.

Though I really think there should be a DA Exarch on the cover though.

Cacodemon
30-07-2006, 08:31
I don't like the pose, it lacks action making the whole model dull and boring.

eviloliv
30-07-2006, 08:34
superb pics eldar raven thank a lot i can wait to see the rest!!!

Iracundus
30-07-2006, 08:59
If those codex colors and Craftworld runes are accurate that seems to suggest the GW studio's showcase Craftworld for this edition will be Saim-hann. It was Biel-tan for 3rd ed. (maybe split with Ulthwe). For 2nd ed. it was Alaitoc, while in Epic 2nd Ed. it was Iyanden.

silverstu
30-07-2006, 09:14
Cheers for the pics mate! Autarch is a nice model- though I wish it was more dynamic pose- but perhaps the other variants will offer something different. Plus I'd like to see him painted in my colours. LOVING the cover- a full eldar army[in my colours-saim hann] kicking ass. The autarch looks awesome- casually walking over the bodies of deamonettes[what are those vain things on his back anyone??] the scorps with their dreads[hope there is a bare headed one with dreads] the banshess[notice the exarch with the executioner has the same head as the the current eaxarch model? nice touch- love that model]. Just love that cover with the army pouring forward with it's aspect warriors at the cutting edge. Very happy bunny here thanks again eldarraven.
edit- just had a thought on the autarch model- if it is multipart[to have all the variable weapon options] perhaps the arms could be posed better and give a more dynamic aspect[no pun intended]. The studio isn't always the best at posing their own mini's[strangely enough]. Just a thought which puts a better spin on this model.

Wraith
30-07-2006, 09:26
I think the Autarch model is ugly but the front cover is awesome.

Tyron
30-07-2006, 09:40
The model is really crap, looks like a guardian with a bit of flare, despite this the paint job is really good. Makes a change.

silverstu
30-07-2006, 09:46
The model is really crap, looks like a guardian with a bit of flare, despite this the paint job is really good. Makes a change.
To me the colour scheme doesn't add to the model- I've never liked the blue and yellow thing- but each to their own. Plus the banshee mask is a bit weird on something which isn't a banshee..

philbrad2
30-07-2006, 09:46
Nice model, but I see the multitude of wargeer a as looking a bit of a mishmash - bits box Eldar anyone? Paint job is well executed on it but again looks a bit overpowering.

Codex artwork is nice, this and the Autrach scheme look very much more influenced by the Eldar circa 2nd ed, nice bright colours - as long as Tyranids don't back to these types of colouring we'll be ok :D

:chrome:

Sakura
30-07-2006, 09:50
Not so pleased by his banshee head.
Its neat he can fly though.

I really hope they make this one as the army box unique model so I dont have to buy it, I wanted a bonesinger and a plastic Autarch.

Also Note:
Seems the mini titan wraithlord has dual heavy wep attachments on his hands like a titan... must mean strength 5 monsterous creature boots of doom..

I so need to know what the wraiths sword does.

Edit: Dont be fooled by the fact that this model is totally new, new idea, new rules, new everything.. Dont be fooled into thinking its cooler than it is unless you truely believe so... I was taken back by the coolness that it was just to see it, but now i'm totally bored.... Seriously in need of more body armour and a better pose and more attractive equipment.
http://tkfiles.storage.msn.com/x1p38cpQ2G-hSoVq0VahSDeH-H8-gXHmMyL1I5iA1dHC5w_azsZpYz-xPcgZ6tYRS--7RdFn6B7t0j3JspJA4cDjhVdyi-wOHSOvWikFZdh0Dk8Dfc819eZz0J8x-YvlyU3

||-MARKO-||
30-07-2006, 10:01
SWEET! ive been looking forwards to seing this, and it lives up to expectations.like the codex cover aswell, very.... i dunno. its how i like them. :D im tempted to start eldar!

shadow hunter
30-07-2006, 10:05
Not that bothered by the Autarch - hope the other versions work out better.

Despite that - I'll probably get him anyway - cause I'm a stupid sucker for new Eldar stuff. Or is that "'I'm a pr!ck"???? :rolleyes:

Still learning
30-07-2006, 10:14
faily off topic i know, but any new iamges of Death korps?

librerian_samae
30-07-2006, 10:22
Is it just me or are the swooping hawk wings on the Autarch from the really old origional rougue trader swooping hawks. They are no where near as well sculpted or dynamic as the current hawk wings at any rate, apart from that he looks rather cool.

I also love the new dex cover, very cool.:D

Str10_hurts
30-07-2006, 10:33
hate the static pose.
Love the helmet.
Hate the cloak.
Love those wings too.

The cover is frikkin' brilliant though!

Kaldanesh
30-07-2006, 10:45
Nice job on the pics. Autarch is *******' sweet. I love that helmet. The wings are fine IMO but may look better on someone that isn't standing still as in this model.

I have to say I do also love the codex cover art. Very epic as someone else said and full of great imagery. Although I thought daemons didn't leave corpses (small criticism)

Anyway thanks for the pics, hope to see more from the rest of the lot that attended Chi-Town.

Kaldanesh

infernus31
30-07-2006, 10:54
wowzers Ilike both of theose pics v much, time for me to start rousing the guard to kick some pointy ears, :chrome:

Messiah
30-07-2006, 11:11
If those codex colors and Craftworld runes are accurate that seems to suggest the GW studio's showcase Craftworld for this edition will be Saim-hann. It was Biel-tan for 3rd ed. (maybe split with Ulthwe). For 2nd ed. it was Alaitoc, while in Epic 2nd Ed. it was Iyanden.

Im loving the codex cover!! At first I thought It was in Kaelors colours (Red W/ gold or yellow), but now I can see it has to be Saim-hann. I guess the fatc that they show a Saim-hann army with aspect warriors, and not that many vehicles pretty much confirms they are centralizing the craftworld themes.

The Autarch is cool too, but the pose could havebeen more dynamic..

Charax
30-07-2006, 11:22
It can't have both so it's a banshee mask.

Considering that there aren't actually rules for the Avenger helm, why can't he have both? Or do you have some extra insight into this that you're not sharing?

I love the helmet, the wings look like Baharroth's, but with the feathers extended and more intimidating. The pose is awful and the weaponry is uninspiring.

HOWEVER, I will probably pick up a box anyway. All that's really wrong with i is the pose, and I'm sure the box will come with more wargear options. Welcome to my new Eldar army, Mr Autarch.

Eideu
30-07-2006, 11:35
Considering that there aren't actually rules for the Avenger helm, why can't he have both? Or do you have some extra insight into this that you're not sharing?

the avenger helm might give an increase to range ? like the DA's get 18 inch fire on there SCs?I dont like the model its very static.the cover is great, its nice to see that the farseer/warlock takes a back stage to the Path of command.
Can we have a seer council with the New HQ choice or are they muchally exclusive?

tau_caste
30-07-2006, 11:40
IMO the new cover ROCKS!!!! SAIM HANN ARE MY ELDAR ARMY... (note the avatar :p )
dont like the new scorpions all that much... cover makes them look catty.
I had higher expectations from the Autarch... but i probably wont end up with one anyway...
but overall the new eldar stuff is coming along great!!!

p.s. has anybody seen any pics of the new Avatar

~Browny out~

eviloliv
i'm wonder what parts changes?head arms backpack ?the pose is static but it's the price for a modular figs

Sakura
Is there even an avenger helm?
I thought he would have a "helm" generic no bonus no extra points.
and then have the option to buy the scorp or banshee lid.
just upgrading a close combat wepon into a power wep.

WokeUpDead
30-07-2006, 12:06
hm.. I don't know about you (okay, I do through reading, and I don't want to spoil the pics to you who like them), but I was expecting.. "more".
the codex-cover looks unimpressive to me and the autarch seems static, and the hawk-wings don't really fit in well. would probably look cooler without them.

but at least the banshee in the background of the photo looks like the new.ed-ladies aren't so fat afterall ;)

shadow hunter
30-07-2006, 12:14
I think its the wings that make the model look odd. Take out the wings - and it doesn't look as bad.

And isn't that the same spear thing the dire avenger exarch had in one of the pics?

Edit no. 2 = Is that a giant egg in the background of the codex art? ;) or the webway.

Jon_Irenicus
30-07-2006, 12:25
The model is really crap
I donīt think itīs really fair to judge a miniature on a single pic, especially one that is said to be heavily customizeable. As far as we know, it could be body + arms + head (and "backpack").

Iīll wait for more pics to make my mind. But if his right leg was a little more "bent" in the knee, it would have looked like a commander surveying a battlefield, rather than just standing there (though this is the bit I want to confirm with more pics).

But I defend that not all miniatures have to be running/screaming/whatever to be good miniatures.

Good catches by the thread author, but what else was there? I donīt know when GD Chicago was, AFAIK it could have been yesterday (and probably was), but if so, why isnīt other stuff popping up already?

WokeUpDead
30-07-2006, 12:27
I think its the wings that make the model look odd. Take out the wings - and it doesn't look as bad.

And isn't that the same spear thing the dire avenger exarch had in one of the pics?

Edit no. 2 = Is that a giant egg in the background of the codex art? ;) or the webway.

I don't see a spear in there.. :confused:

It's a giant egg.
They're trying to breed Avartomon. Looks like the rumors that someone had to be sacrificed were false. Someone has to sit/hug that egg :D
(And I'm not even speculating on how it got there and what the relations between Eldar and the easter bunny look like)

Lyinar
30-07-2006, 12:27
Actually, that "titan-like wraithlord" looks to be far enough in the background of the cover picture to actually be a titan, probably a Revenant.

I'm probably going to end up converting my Autarch from various Exarch and Aspect Warrior models. Like everyone has said, the official model looks a bit too static. And the whole "I'm a guy but I have a piece of wargear from a female-only aspect" thing is a bit creepy if you think about it... Do we even want to know what he went through to acquire that Banshee Mask?

Charax
30-07-2006, 12:32
If the banshees were a female-only aspect, you may have a point, but they're not, they're just *mostly* female.

Lyinar
30-07-2006, 12:38
No, I'm pretty sure that their fluff in the Codex specifically says something about them being the only female-only aspect.

Yep: Page 10, Codex: Eldar (3rd Edition): "A female aspect, like the banshee of legend..." (emphasis mine).

Christine
30-07-2006, 12:38
Hmmm it's no where near as nice as I thought it would be, like many others I feel that the wings just don't look right on him. Still hopefully that's the special edition on and I can merrily ignore him!

AdmiralDick
30-07-2006, 12:44
i haven't liked the idea of the Autarch from the start, with his stupid name and un-Eldar character, and i have to say this model has put the final nail in the coffin of me ever using one.

don't get me wrong it looks like it is very well sculpted, but the silly head gear and relatively static pose just don't push my buttons. i think that is by some misfortune i am forced into using one (i.e. it is 1+ on the Force Organisation Chart, God forbid) then i'll stick with one of the Pheonix Lord models.

on the plus side, i reall like the new cover art. its quite different from previous Eldar imagery.

Messiah
30-07-2006, 12:50
on the plus side, i reall like the new cover art. its quite different from previous Eldar imagery.

So, what do you think of the Autarch on the cover art then?

Charax
30-07-2006, 13:03
No, I'm pretty sure that their fluff in the Codex specifically says something about them being the only female-only aspect.

Yep: Page 10, Codex: Eldar (3rd Edition): "A female aspect, like the banshee of legend..." (emphasis mine).

Page 9, Codex: Eldar, (2nd edition, and vastly superior in terms of background): "The howling banshees are almost always female, for the Banshee is said to be a female spirit"

Page 58, Rogue Trader Compendium (1st edition, first appearence of the Aspect Warriors outside WD): Many Howling banshee warriors are female, as indeed are many of the fighting troops of the eldar"

"A female aspect" could be read as many things, only the most narrow-minded of which is that the entire aspect, throughout Eldar society, is closed to males

Nexto
30-07-2006, 13:05
@Lyniar: Look at Page 10 from the actual eldar codex, there is a small text next to the banshee profile which says: "almost all" but not "all" so there is now problem with him having the banshee mask.

neko_katan
30-07-2006, 13:37
something i kinda noticed:

The autarch has actually been around for a LONG time..just not in 40k...just check out Epic Armageddon Baran War supplement..though in their, the autarch (in the story part) is a fire-dragon, and he just keeps his normal exarch armor. Anyways...no points making judgements until everything is commited to paper/plastic/metal/resin :P

WalrusArmy
30-07-2006, 13:59
None the less I hope one of the versions of the autarch is made female, but otherwise one can always modify an old banshee model.

/W

Wenemun
30-07-2006, 13:59
It could be wishful thinking on my part, but are the models to the left and right also autarchs? It looks like a dire avenger with a web of skulls and a (male?) banshee with a spear.
(or it might just be new hawk exarch without wings (or we cant see them) and new banshee (with a longer sword?))
What are they EldarRaven?

Also, GD Chicago (http://gamesday.us.games-workshop.com/GamesDay2006/Chicago_2006/Chicago_2006_home.htm) was apparently 29th of june.

NakedFisherman
30-07-2006, 14:10
Nice! Thanks for these.

foehammer888
30-07-2006, 14:17
While not overly impressed with the model, it is a nice clean addition to the miniatures range. The fact that he is relatively plain does mean we can convert almost any exarch or aspect warrior model into an effective autarch. The blister will provide plenty of bits for conversion, both of an autarch and any other model we see fit to create.

Foehammer

sanctusmortis
30-07-2006, 14:25
The left one on the cover's the Titan, to the right is a Wraithlord. That is one seriously cool looking Daemonette on the cover, too.

As for the Autarch photo... Banshee on the right (it's a sword in the hand!), and to the left seems to have a really long gun (please tell me it's just the size of a DA shuricat and not a new Reaper, as it would make a cack one).

Lyinar
30-07-2006, 14:26
@Lyniar: Look at Page 10 from the actual eldar codex, there is a small text next to the banshee profile which says: "almost all" but not "all" so there is now problem with him having the banshee mask.

You mean the EXACT passage I quoted? It says absolutely NOTHING about "almost all". Unless you're saying that the 3rd Edition Codex: Eldar that actually has wargear descriptions for stuff like the Witchblade, instead of the screwed up first printing, is not the "actual eldar codex"

And I quote the FULL text of that passage:

The banshee is a harbinger of woe and death in Eldar mythology, whose cry is said to herald ill fate and can tempt a soul from its spirit stone. It is fitting, therefore, that perhaps the most feared of all the Aspect Warriors draw their inspiration from this unearthly creature. A female Aspect, like the banshee of legend, Howling Banshees are fearsome close combat opponents, whose Banshee masks and gleaming power weapons have meant the doom of countless foes over the millennia.

Charax: A hell of a lot of stuff changes between editions. Until I see where in the 4th Edition Codex it says that guys can be Howling Banshees, I'll go by the CURRENT Codex.

Besides, even if there are a few guys allowed into the Howling Banshees, have you ever seen a male Howling Banshee model? Didn't think so. Which means that I can still imagine bizarre tales of cross-dressing Eldar, as all Howling Banshees, regardless of sex, apparently wear female armour.

Sybaronde
30-07-2006, 14:29
As for the "dead daemons": daemons leave corpses now?

Perhaps they're dying slowly? :evilgrin:

Anyway, the cover struck me first as being ridiculous, but I warmed almost instantly to it. It's bizarelly colourful and exotic and really reminiscent of the 2nd Ed. Codex, with an Eldar posed galantly in the centre of all the motion.

The autarch, however, I hope comes with more modulability like the Space Marines Commander. :(

ionfish
30-07-2006, 14:32
To quote Kage's sig, "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

Commanderxenos
30-07-2006, 14:32
well after looking at the secon pic, I just have to assume that that version of the Autarch will be the one in the army box.. now even though I want an army box, I'll probably just end up converting my own model out of different bits.

*edit*

heck, any news on what the army box will include?

t-tauri
30-07-2006, 14:34
Also, GD Chicago (http://gamesday.us.games-workshop.com/GamesDay2006/Chicago_2006/Chicago_2006_home.htm) was apparently 29th of june.
In that link it's fairly explicitly 29th July.

The big question though is Where's the rest of the information?

Did the presentation just have one slide?

Come on Illinoisians. (Is that a word?) Spill the beans.

WokeUpDead
30-07-2006, 14:39
you know.. one can make much hot wind around almost everything.. just take that "male-banshee? god forbid!" discussion into the background forum, please? ;)

hmm.. just wondering: hasn't anybody else attended Games Day? Seems a little odd that there isn't more 'flooding in' :D

Chosen Farseer
30-07-2006, 14:47
http://warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=836343&postcount=911

After reading this post, I hoped for more pictures and more information...
Just the Autarch and the Cover is a bit disappointing...

Lyinar
30-07-2006, 14:48
I was wondering that too... There should be a lot of pictures of fully-painted new Aspect Warriors and Wraithlords and stuff. I guess there was only one person with a camera there.

Nexto
30-07-2006, 14:57
OT:

You mean the EXACT passage I quoted? It says absolutely NOTHING about "almost all". Unless you're saying that the 3rd Edition Codex: Eldar that actually has wargear descriptions for stuff like the Witchblade, instead of the screwed up first printing, is not the "actual eldar codex"

I just have the german codex, its on the 10th page their and says what you quoted from me, in german of course. So: yes, the actual codex says so.

EDIT: Just looked it up in the english codex and it states what you said. Strange, their really seems to be a difference here! Sorry then, didnt know that such things occur.

Besides, even if there are a few guys allowed into the Howling Banshees, have you ever seen a male Howling Banshee model? Didn't think so. Which means that I can still imagine bizarre tales of cross-dressing Eldar, as all Howling Banshees, regardless of sex, apparently wear female armour.

Have you ever seen female reapers/dragons/etc ? Just because their isnt a model doesnt mean its not possible!

warmaster
30-07-2006, 14:58
yeah, there should be more than these 3 pictures!

as another note, whats that large blurry object in the backround of the first pic?

Chosen Farseer
30-07-2006, 15:01
Have you ever seen female reapers/dragons/etc ? Just because their isnt a model doesnt mean its not possible!

I think it's because, all Banshees wear female armour, even if it is a male warrior. Maybe it's the same with some other aspects...

foehammer888
30-07-2006, 15:06
I think it's because, all Banshees wear female armour, even if it is a male warrior. Maybe it's the same with some other aspects... Ouch, that could be painful.

On that note, i know for a fact there is a female shinning spear model.

As for the limited news from GD chicago, most of the people I know where staying in chicago overnight last night and returning home today/tonight. As a result, we will likely see much more info tonight or tomorrow once they have returned home. Most of them weren't interested in rushing back to their hotel rooms to post things on worseer.

Foehammer

Homer S
30-07-2006, 15:06
I was wondering that too... There should be a lot of pictures of fully-painted new Aspect Warriors and Wraithlords and stuff. I guess there was only one person with a camera there.
Remember that 40K is not the only thing they had there. A lot of the display cases had models from the new WH Battle for Skull Pass. I was specifically looking for the Wraithlord but no go. The sheet on the desk was still the black silhouette.

There were also a number of resin casts of Vostroyans and a few green stuff scupts of them, including the banner bearer.

Not so pleased by his banshee head.
Its neat he can fly though.

I really hope they make this one as the army box unique model so I dont have to buy it, I wanted a bonesinger and a plastic Autarch.

The Autarch at GD Chicago is the one from the Army box. The other two have different heads (scorpion and helmetless) and backpacks (warp and dire avenger?). Also, you don't need heavy armor if you have a personal field. I thought that is what the rumor stated.

Homer Out

pantera
30-07-2006, 15:24
Not overly impressed with the new Autarch model, it is kinda lacking a dynamic pose... though style wise its awesome. Im thinking Ill be converting a DA for this one.
As for the cover... I love it. Aspect warriors being the first line, with guardians in the background. Scorpions look amazing, wraithlords stomping around. Terrific! As for everyone bashing the "dead" daemonette on the ground... come on, get serious. What if its "freshly killed", or is dying stilll. Imagination people. Thats what this is all about after all

Lithian
30-07-2006, 15:28
The Autarch model is very dissapointing.:( Very 2-D. Looks like a model they could have done 10 years ago.

I was expecting something more dynamic and exciting like the seer council sculpts. He reminds me of the Bullwinkle farseer. Boring. :cheese:

Yeah, I play eldar. :cheese: It's like the waveserpent release all over again. "I waited >blank< years for this?"

Hopefully, Forgeworld has something in the works.

Ok, I just saw the rest of the pictures. Just so everybody doesn't think I'm a nay-bob, the rest of the models look dynomite! That farseer smokes.

WokeUpDead
30-07-2006, 15:30
maybe she's just posing for the photo, while all Eldar smile underneath their helmets, saying "cheese".

my_name_is_tudor
30-07-2006, 15:31
Very nice stuff all round, the codex cover especially.

The autarch pose is ever so slightly un-dynamic, but given GW heac-honchos' insistance that it is goign to be heavily customisable, a 'standard' pose is pretty much a given. If this guy was modeled flitting about all over the place on those wings, then how the hell would I model a none-winged exarch without claiming he's just been fired out of a cannon? Think about it, head swap and lose the wings and you can have a Scorpion/Dire Avenger Autarch without breaking a sweat. Or pretty much any combination really.

As for the whiskers on the Scorpions.. after it had been mentioned I thought it would leap to mind every time I saw them, but the fact is that it's too much of a stretch. To me the lines look like ventilation/breathing slits - and thats what they probably are.

Oh, and about daemon corpses - those ain't daemons, they're mutated humans.

Damien 1427
30-07-2006, 15:33
I like the cover-art. Very nice.

Shame I don't think much of the model, though. Just looks like a generic eldar chap in armour with various aspect bits stuck on. Not my cup of tea.

silverstu
30-07-2006, 15:37
The Autarch at GD Chicago is the one from the Army box. The other two have different heads (scorpion and helmetless) and backpacks (warp and dire avenger?). Also, you don't need heavy armor if you have a personal field. I thought that is what the rumor stated.

Homer Out
Where the other versions on show? I'll probably get all three, hope the scorpion one looks like the autarch on the cover. Any rumblings on the contnets of the army box other than the autarch and bonesinger? I'm hoping for new aspect warriors, a wave serpent, new walker and maybe a wraithlord. No guardians-I have plenty. I'll get it regardless but i'd be nice to know roughly what to expect.:)

cybertron2000uk
30-07-2006, 15:54
art is very nice, wasnt expecting that!!...Autarch is ok....want to see the variant and the extra parts to bother buying it..

I wont get the army box...as I dont really care for some of the new stuff.. (I bet the wraithlord wont be in it lol!)

Gearux
30-07-2006, 16:00
wow thats an awesome model, looks very commanding. I love the new cover, and the dead deammonettes are a good touch. I'm a little surprised we haven't seen more stuff from GDC.

ViewFinder
30-07-2006, 16:44
The Autarch pose is absolutely horrible. "Hey look, I'm just standing middle of open battlefield and those puny humans just run when I look at them."-pose, way too static. Hmm... maybe it will look better when he is plased on modular base which has huge tall rock on so Autarch could be stand there and look down to battlefield...

Warsmith Strader
30-07-2006, 16:46
Not quite sure had to comment on the Autarch yet... is it just me or was his aspect he has chosen, Howling banshee, dire avenger and swooping hawk?

So I wonder about the armour save? 3+ or 4+?

Underway
30-07-2006, 17:00
AS is 3+/ 4+ Invulnerable

Luna de hierro
30-07-2006, 17:10
Thatīs a very uninspired pose, isntīt it??? :rolleyes:

They just took a dire avenger body and glued a banshee helmet and the wings from a Swooping Hawk, not very happy with the result, i just hope that it is a multi-component box like the SM captain.

Anyone noticed that in the cover of the īdex there is a FW Eldar Titan represented?

FalseAngel
30-07-2006, 17:23
They could have made the Autarch's body a little more.... decorative? other than that, I love the arms', wings', and helmet's detail. Here's hoping the special army deal one is female though.

Personally love the Codex cover myself, it's a nice blend of colors much like the Space Marine cover.

Nexto
30-07-2006, 17:25
I definitively like the autarch! Its good to have sometimes some model which do not swirl around all the time but just pose a bit ;) He is a commander and i think its ok for them to just sometimes show how fancy their armor looks.

Zerosoul
30-07-2006, 17:31

And I quote the FULL text of that passage:

Charax: A hell of a lot of stuff changes between editions. Until I see where in the 4th Edition Codex it says that guys can be Howling Banshees, I'll go by the CURRENT Codex.

I hate to bring up something from a page or two ago, but...

It's not at all unusual in heavily ritualized societies for one gender to take on the role/aspect of the other - for example, in Native American society shamans were often transgendered men who were physically male but lived as women, including taking husbands, and were revered for doing so. I think it may be more detail than GW is going into, but there's nothing especially fantastic about a male Eldar taking on a female ritual aspect. But 40K is a wargame, not an RPG, and I think the politics involved make it just simpler to say "look, let's just sculpt them all as women". So, just because there haven't been any male Banshee models doesn't mean there aren't any male Banshees. Just that it makes it easier to explain the Banshees as a female aspect and not having to go into all the rest of it.

Edit: Anyway, that's probably better for the Background forum. I REALLY like the Autarch model, myself. I'm excited to see how the rest of the components turn out, or at least how the rest of the models look if it's not a multi-component model. Everything I've heard about the Eldar makes me excited about them, and I think the new models have been pretty much universally great. Eldar were what got me interested in 40K in the first place, even if I was too intimidated to paint a whole army of them, and now it looks to be a pretty good time to be an Eldar fan.

static grass
30-07-2006, 18:07
The new Autarch model is simply excellent. Who ever said the Autarch was batman and not superman was bang on target. I will be painting mine in Ulthwe colours :)

Remember banshees are just imaginary soldiers used in a game of dice so don't lose any sleep just cause a male eldar is wearing a banshee mask.

eviloliv
30-07-2006, 18:20
can't wait to get my hand on these figs!!!
we not have seen the new avatar .It will be for the german gd then

WokeUpDead
30-07-2006, 18:34
can't wait to get my hand on these figs!!!
we not have seen the new avatar .It will be for the german gd then

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARH! *pulls his hair*

don't tempt me to go there! :D :p

Tyron
30-07-2006, 20:33
I donīt think itīs really fair to judge a miniature on a single pic, especially one that is said to be heavily customizeable.

Yes like the SM one too which is Ģ10!!!

I dont want it to look like guardian with a fancy hat with feathers and a cloak. I want it to have a different style of armour, something orginal, and to look feirce, not a pretty boy.

TheShadow3s
30-07-2006, 20:35
One hell of a codexd front, will the autarch be like a plastic customisable box set or not ?

ionfish
30-07-2006, 20:35
If the people going on about this whole "All Banshees are female!" thing are honestly that bothered about it, well, it's probably not too hard to use some greenstuff to model a pair of breasts on. :rolleyes:

TheShadow3s, and anyone else asking: it has been stated a number of times by people in the know that the Autarch models will all be metal. No plastic customisable Autarch boxed set, sorry.

Karhedron
30-07-2006, 20:46
One hell of a codexd front, will the autarch be like a plastic customisable box set or not ?
No, the Autarch is a metal model although it has a fairly customizable set of parts.

Lyinar
30-07-2006, 21:35
I'm not bothered by it, actually. I find it simultaneously slightly creepy and very amusing.

Aenarion
30-07-2006, 21:46
That model is awful

Eidolon
30-07-2006, 22:07
I am not very impressed with the autarch model, but the cover looks great. Knowing GW, I thought they would make the eldar "darker", but this one looks kind of trippy and exotic. Nice to see some variety in style.

silverstu
30-07-2006, 22:11
I am not very impressed with the autarch model, but the cover looks great. Knowing GW, I thought they would make the eldar "darker", but this one looks kind of trippy and exotic. Nice to see some variety in style.
Yeah I like the erie otherworldliness of the cover- reminds me of the feel of the woodelf cover art. i think it gets the whole "all their technology is permiated by unnatural witchcraft" type of vibe- which you can still make as dark as you like.

Fulgrim's Gimp
30-07-2006, 22:15
Is it not a model of Yriel Autarch of Iyanden rather than the generic Autarch model ?

DonkeyMan
30-07-2006, 22:20
Oh dear, when will GW learn to make good poses again.

All their latest minis look so unnatural. Well not all but many.

They should take a look at the Rackham miniatures poses. Well some Rackham miniatures also look unnatural, but most of them have brilliant poses.

AdmiralDick
30-07-2006, 22:43
So, what do you think of the Autarch on the cover art then?

to be honest it's not entirely clear that the central character on the cover art is a Autarch. granted there is a strong likelihood that it is, but it's not exactly definite.

codex art is usually painted up well in advance of any miniatures produced, so it was probably done in a period before the final concept of Autarchs was set, meaning it might not be meant to represent an Autarch at all but an Exarch, although by a happy coincidence it looks enough like one. also it is not uncommon for Exarchs to be painted in a different colour scheme to regular aspect warriors (sometimes even in Craftworld colours). another point is that he is not exactly elaborate or anything. he is only a little bettr dressed than the Striking Scorpions in front of him.

ultimately i would have prefered it had the Autarch been more like that character (i.e. a better than average Exarch) and not simply and Eldar Chaos Lord. they seem to me to just make Eldar more like other races, rather than bringing anything of flavour and value to an army. in that regard they are much like the Vespids, who were a very thinly vailed attempt to jam something into the Tau army that didn't belong there. i think i'll stick to my Avatar and Farseers.

nevertheless, i genuinely like the cover art; rather than just making the Eldar look sinister, they have made them look genuinely alien. and just how many depictions of Webway Portals are there, because i can honestly only think of one and that was in the Rogue Trader rule book, and it looked more like that tube type gate from Babylon 5. i'm also a fan of the Biel-Tan craftworld taking a back seat. i have never been their biggest fan and much prefer Saim-Hann, who have been on all the Eldar box fronts for a while now.

changing the subject slightly once again, some people have asked what else has been lurking in the Autarch photo. i believe it reveals (from left to right): a Dire Avenger Exarch that we have seen already (i can't tell what the fail is, it could be a web of skulls, but could just as easily be Goblin Fanatics), what i think is a Warhammer Giant painted in rather unorthodox colours, the Autarch, the Alaitoc War Walker that we have already seen (this is almost totally obscured by the Autarch) and a Banshee painted in unusual colour (but we hav seen this model painted in the regular colours elsewhere).

Eideu
30-07-2006, 22:54
Web of skull isnt a weapon anymore,No word on the Dark angels yet?
only what 3-4 months to go now til release?

The Dude
31-07-2006, 01:12
Looking good. I'm interested to see the other ones...

Wenemun
31-07-2006, 01:17
In that link it's fairly explicitly 29th July.
lol... yeah, july, as in yesterday... My bad. I'm Stuck in the past i guess.

No, the Autarch is a metal model although it has a fairly customizable set of parts.
Looks plastic to me. (
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k306/konatex/b9758434.jpg
dont know if these have been posted here yet... cant see them. But are thanks to k1tsune and konatex.)
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k306/konatex/9ab1e989.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k306/konatex/393c6e38.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k306/konatex/18ff6239.jpg
(more here (http://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k306/konatex/)... plastic reaper, plastic farseer, plastic scorpion exarch, plastic dragon exarch, plastic banshee exarch, Better pic of the autarch, some painted scorpions and fire dragons and a picture of gav thorpe.)

Hellebore
31-07-2006, 01:47
lol... yeah, july, as in yesterday... My bad. I'm Stuck in the past i guess.

Looks plastic to me. (
(more here (http://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k306/konatex/)... plastic reaper, plastic farseer, plastic scorpion exarch, plastic dragon exarch, plastic banshee exarch, Better pic of the autarch, some painted scorpions and fire dragons and a picture of gav thorpe.)

All display models are in RESIN, not plastic. EVERYTHING will be metal.

Hellebore

dienekes96
31-07-2006, 02:24
That's not plastic, or you would be seeing 3-ups. It's resin, and as has already been pointed out, they make resin moulds of METAL figures. Didn't we have this conversation in 2002 when they Grey Knights appeared in resin?

They will be metal. Wishful thinking won't alchemically change the models to plastic.

The Dude
31-07-2006, 02:28
Ease off there boys, it's an easy mistake to make. I for one would like to thank Wenemun for these pics. They show the detail really well.

Evilgnome
31-07-2006, 02:29
Hopefully there are plenty of other options for the Autarch helmet as this one leaves me cold. The mini looks a bit cobbled together for my liking, but I'll wait to see what goodies we might get in the box.

The Autarch on the cover of the codex and the codex art itself are great though, looking forward to this new codex a great deal.

Messiah
31-07-2006, 02:33
Woah!!

The banshee exarch is beautiful! Grace and dynamic movement in such a small model. Damn.

Im not a fan of the Reaper Exarch, but hell probably grow on me. I like the current ones better..

paddyalexander
31-07-2006, 02:50
The impression I got was that this Autarch model is the special edition once-off one they're releasing in the army box-set.

Evilgnome
31-07-2006, 03:04
Thanks for those resin images and the pics of the new scorpions at Photobucket, they look cool!

The Banshee Exarch looks to be the standout mini for the Eldar range so far.

sulla
31-07-2006, 06:23
Hopefully there are plenty of other options for the Autarch helmet as this one leaves me cold. The mini looks a bit cobbled together for my liking, but I'll wait to see what goodies we might get in the box.

Very... He looks like the "I'll have one of everything, please," option.

The Autarch on the cover of the codex and the codex art itself are great though, looking forward to this new codex a great deal.

I agree, very nice but also understated.

Best model so far has to be the banshee exarch though... I hope harlies and DE wyches are made in similar styles when they finallly get remade.

Sulla

shadow hunter
31-07-2006, 07:22
Thanks for the pics.

There's some great looking figs. Really like the Fire Dragon and Banshee. The Striking Scorpian is cool too - its easier to see the detail than the metal pic.

Shield of Freedom
31-07-2006, 07:24
Holy hell, I just came from the the rumor roundup picture compilation thread.

OMFG. I love those new Stirking Scorpions. In fact, I love every model in the new range so far! The Autarch strikes me as a bit.... well it's hard to explain, It's not that don't like it, but it's at the bottom of the "I like it" list.

I am so scared now. I'll have to make my wife go into the store to buy the new Eldar army box set when it comes out. The first time I get to touch it with my hands I'll have an orgasim for sure. I wouldn't want to have that embarrassing mess in my local hang-out!

At this point, I don't care about the rules anymore. I like the models enough to find a way to make it work even if the codex comes out completely screwed up. Although I admit it's easy for me to say that because I'm becoming more confident that it will be done quite well.

All we need now is to sit tight and wait for new models for Jetbikes, Warpspiders, Wraithguard, Shining Spears, Warlocks?, and repackage the Vypers and Falcons with more weapon options than a Shuriken Cannon or Scatter Laser respectively. I know they will come much later (if at all) than the first releases of the codex though. Then I will be a satisfied Eldar nut( *ahem* I mean enthusiast).

Necron_Lord
31-07-2006, 07:45
hmm i dont especially like the pose, but overall, its a decent model

Karasu
31-07-2006, 08:00
Nice job on the pics. Autarch is *******' sweet. I love that helmet. The wings are fine IMO but may look better on someone that isn't standing still as in this model.

I have to say I do also love the codex cover art. Very epic as someone else said and full of great imagery. Although I thought daemons didn't leave corpses (small criticism)

Maybe they do in the Eye of Terror?

Or possibly they're not actually daemons, just mutants with daemonic features.

Labrat
31-07-2006, 08:36
definatly looks cool, hopefully the bits will allow alot more customization tho.

Isambard
31-07-2006, 08:44
You can see from the resin cast the multi part nature of the model. The arms are clearly separate bits, as are the wings and the head. The sword arm's shoulder pad also looks detachable.

I would assume the body/cape item is the base. To that you can just add arms/heads etc on.

It will be interesting to see the bits it comes with, hopefully enough for all the options.

I am hoping for one on a jetbike to join my 'flying circus' (seers on bikes). Maybe a bit of Laser Lance or power weapon goodness to add some punch to all those witch blades!

75hastings69
31-07-2006, 08:56
oh, if theres a unique autarch in the box, does that mean eldar get two limited edition models, autarch and bonesinger?

To answer your question from page 1.......

Yes and erm........ No

The Autarch is the Special Edition mini from the Box Set
There will also be a Bonesinger that will be a promotional piece and will be available from Direct Sales (though there will be NO rules to use in game)
There will also be a Kneeling Eldar Ranger (with helmet) that will make the 3rd special mini for Eldar (pics of this mini have been seen ages ago - in the rangers box there is a kneeling mini with no helmet, but if you check out other ranger mini pics you will clearly see the kneeling helmet mini.

Hope this helps,

Steve

stahly
31-07-2006, 09:11
The Autarch is the Special Edition mini from the Box Set

Do you mean by this that the Autarch as shown as in this thread is the limited edition one and there will be another regular one with different wargear and probably a different body?

Morathi's Darkest Sin
31-07-2006, 09:19
Looks really good, and will be pre-ordering a box.. if of course GW do enough of them after the Wood Elf fiasco, I'm sure Eldar are going to be at an equal level of demand.

I just hope they make more sets this time to account for the number of store staff who want one. Hell going on these pics I'd be tempted to buy two.

Brimstone
31-07-2006, 09:36
Do you mean by this that the Autarch as shown as in this thread is the limited edition one and there will be another regular one with different wargear and probably a different body?

Yes and there will be more than one Autarch on regular sale according to reports.

Ravenous
31-07-2006, 09:47
well thats $300 out of my wallet.

and with all of them in plastic that is fantastic.

SHUMA22
31-07-2006, 09:50
They are Metal... they always Show them in resin, you should read the Thread...

Akhenaton
31-07-2006, 09:53
I think the use of resin master molds is probably the core reason for all the confusion over whether various models are coming out in plastic.

ALL EXARCHS WILL BE METAL.

WHAT YOU ARE SEEING IS A MASTER MOLD.

Sorry to disappoint all those who getting excited after seeing the resin mock ups. People are doing too much wishful thinking about what is going to be metal and not.

Poseidal
31-07-2006, 09:54
I quite like the Farseer there, yet it's no match for my Bug-eye Farseer and Necromunda Farseer in terms of coolness so I probably won't buy it.

The Banshee model is very much to my liking, especially as it looks like she's dual-wielding. It's a shame (I find) that pistols give the full benefit of having two swords, when a dual wielding model could look so good.

As for the Reaper Exarch, I quite like the 'throwback' head, though I prefer the posing of the ShuriCannon 3ed model.

Is there a closeup in focus of the Fire Dragon you can see in the background of the Autarch picture?

Cornelius
31-07-2006, 09:58
The Banshee model is very much to my liking, especially as it looks like she's dual-wielding. It's a shame (I find) that pistols give the full benefit of having two swords, when a dual wielding model could look so good.

Do a search on 'mirrorswords', and you might get pleasantly surprised.

The Judge
31-07-2006, 10:00
The Dark Reaper Exarch is stunning, as is the Scorpion Exarch and the Fire Dragons. The Scorpions themselves leave me cold, (bit hunched for me), and the Autarch is a tad static IMO.

Cheers for the pics!

Poseidal
31-07-2006, 10:14
Do a search on 'mirrorswords', and you might get pleasantly surprised.
Oh! Even more attacks. I wonder how this interacts with Powerblades though, as it's the same effect in the end.

I also looked through and saw the FD Exarch. It will probably replace my ageing 2nd ed one, though there are higher priority models for me to get.

IJW
31-07-2006, 10:41
Apparently the Spider Exarch is the only one with access to powerblades, and the bits on the new Banshee are just decoration. :(

asmodai_dark86
31-07-2006, 10:52
I think people keeping asking if the autrach is plastic (i know the one shown is the resin before the metal so leave me be) is because of the number of options avaiable to an autrach - it would make sense to do a model that can taken parts from any shrine in a plastic set to allow all options rather then this option. I dont like it really, so heres hoping that the special edition model is a model thats closer to the cover one...

Has anyone taken a really close look at the dire avenger exarch yet? Notice how it has Maugan Ra's armour, the helmets from the first reaper incarnation, and the missile launcher equivilent of the most recent.

Dark Apostle197
31-07-2006, 10:54
Nice find... Looks good, though blurry :P

Homer S
31-07-2006, 13:31
Is it not a model of Yriel Autarch of Iyanden rather than the generic Autarch model ?

I think people keeping asking if the autrach is plastic (i know the one shown is the resin before the metal so leave me be) is because of the number of options avaiable to an autrach - it would make sense to do a model that can taken parts from any shrine in a plastic set to allow all options rather then this option. I dont like it really, so heres hoping that the special edition model is a model thats closer to the cover one...
This model is the limited edition that will be in the army box. If anyone took pics of the papers on the table, that is what it stated. I have seen stills of the other two and have described them elsewhere.

Enjoy!
Homer Out

Brimstone
31-07-2006, 17:42
OK In order to avoid duplicate threads I'm going to move all the non Autarch discussion and images to the other GD Chicago thread, please take further discussion there.

Antaeus
31-07-2006, 20:20
Good work, my friend! Looks pretty nice, they seem to have made a good job of mixing different Aspects (could have been a right mess very easily).

Alarick
01-08-2006, 05:01
Hola!
Nice model...but xenos:evilgrin: another xenos to aim my flamers:evilgrin:
Saludos y suerte con sus dados.

Ravenous
01-08-2006, 05:11
looks awsome.

although Im not sold on its rules yet S3 T3 kind of sucks against everything. the only thing that he would be able to take that makes him S4 is the scorpion chainsword. and thats as useful against marines as raid on a hive tyrant. so he wont be much in close combat. shooting on the otherhand :D

Varath- Lord Impaler
01-08-2006, 05:40
have you ever used raid on a hive tyrant? its fairly funny!

...before the disembowelment of course.

Anyway, Im hoping the other Autarchs look more like they are moving than this chappie. Its nice to have one in 'tactical mode' but having him in attack mode will be cool too.

SpinO
01-08-2006, 09:13
Hmmm, I'm not to enthusiastic about the nes autarch, as it seems a bit stale though. I definitly doesn't like the wings and the helmet and the pose. I'll reserve my final judgement until I've seen all the bits that comes with it.

75hastings69
01-08-2006, 11:31
Yes and there will be more than one Autarch on regular sale according to reports.

That saved me a bit of time, thanks Brim.

I am lead to beleive there will be 2 or 3 Autrarch minis,

the one we have pics of is the Army Box one,

there is then confusion as to whether there will be 2 seperate minis (one helmet & wargear and 1 no helmet & alternate wargear) or if there will be the parts to make varients in a box set? I will try and get clarification and post back later.

Nexto
01-08-2006, 11:36
Several people already denied that the one we saw is the one featured in the armybox.

May is ask from where you got that piece of information ? :)

librerian_samae
01-08-2006, 11:39
In the photo of the slide show from games day Chi town it indicated the one shown was the army box special.

foehammer888
01-08-2006, 11:43
looks awsome.

although Im not sold on its rules yet S3 T3 kind of sucks against everything. the only thing that he would be able to take that makes him S4 is the scorpion chainsword. and thats as useful against marines as raid on a hive tyrant. so he wont be much in close combat. shooting on the otherhand :D Well, then there's this little combo

Shuriken pistol, laser lance, jetbike, madiblaster: yup, that's 6 S6 attacks on the charge in initiative order. Sounds pretty good to me.

foehammer

Lyinar
01-08-2006, 12:06
I still want to know if he can carry a Laser Lance on foot...

emperorpenguin
01-08-2006, 12:11
I still want to know if he can carry a Laser Lance on foot...

well an infantryman CAN carry a lance but it won't do him much good without a horse! :p
I'd expect it'll be jetbike mounted only

Ravenous
01-08-2006, 12:14
trusting he has access to it at all.

t-tauri
01-08-2006, 12:19
well an infantryman CAN carry a lance but it won't do him much good without a horse! :p
I'd expect it'll be jetbike mounted onlyYou don't need the impetus of a horse for the laser lance to have it's effect, though. It's more like a very short ranged laser shotgun.

Hellebore
01-08-2006, 12:19
trusting he has access to it at all.

It's not an exarch weapon so I don't see why not.

Just to list what ISN'T an Exarch weapon:

H-t-H:
Power Weapon
Scorpion Chainsword
Close Combat Weapon
Laser Lance

Ranged:
Fusion gun
Death Spinner
Reaper Launcher
Lasblaster
Dire Catapult
Shuriken Pistol
Shuriken Catapult

Plus helmets:
Banshee Mask
Mandiblaster
Normal

Plus Movement:
Foot
Jet bike
Jump Generator
Swooping hawk wings

And I think that is PLENTY to choose from:evilgrin:

Hellebore

foehammer888
01-08-2006, 12:21
trusting he has access to it at all. I believe Brim mentioned late last week that the Autarch would have access to the laser lance as it was a piece of aspect warrior wargear.

Ranged:
Fusion gun
Death Spinner
Reaper Launcher
Lasblaster
Laser Lance
Dire Catapult
Shuriken Pistol
Shuriken Catapult First, the laser lance is now a close combat weapon, not a shooting weapon. Two, I don't see him having access to both the shuriken catapult and dire catapult. Reaper launcher and death spinner are also questionable, but possible.

Foehammer

Sakura
01-08-2006, 12:26
Not only does that Shining spear combo look great but he would finally be toughness4. but then after the first round say wasted points as he sits there pixi slapping strength.
Also, wouldnt the SSpear exarch be 4 attacks? and another spear troop be an extra 3 attacks? hell, for the standard 40pts minimum standard (without gear) lame comander build I'd rather take 2 mediocre SSpear troops.

This theorising over the Autarch is almost pointless... its totally new and we have almost nothing to base our theories on (Even us veterans: see sig) except the benevolent and somewhot violent Brimstone winks. How glorious it would be to know more than just "can take aspect troop only wargear, stats and +1 or somethign to reserves." thats heaps of info and about all I expect we can extort without having the codex printed for us.

Please note, I expect he can take a witchblade.... thats.... almost good in combat, almost.
They mostly come out at night..... almost.

Ravenous
01-08-2006, 12:26
thats badass.

Hellebore
01-08-2006, 12:28
I believe Brim mentioned late last week that the Autarch would have access to the laser lance as it was a piece of aspect warrior wargear.

First, the laser lance is now a close combat weapon, not a shooting weapon. Two, I don't see him having access to both the shuriken catapult and dire catapult. Reaper launcher and death spinner are also questionable, but possible.

Foehammer

Brimstone said he had access to aspect weapons because he had trod every path of the warrior without becoming an Exarch - he said nothing about only SOME aspects. It might be powerful, but his statline is for combat, and putting the Heavy2 reaper launcher on him wouldn't do that stat line any favours. Of course, you CAN fire Heavy weapons while mounted on a jetbike.

I can see it now *dream-o-vision*........ an autarch with a jetbike, mandiblaster, laser lance in one hand, and a reaper launcher in the other:eek: :skull:

as for dire vs shuri catipults, every eldar learns to use the shuriken catapult, so, although I don't see any reason TO give him one, there isn't any reason for it NOT to be in the list.

I'll fix my list to put the lance in the h-t-h section.

Hellebore

Eldarin Hope
01-08-2006, 12:32
shuri cats? dont think there is an aspect armed with them now, is there?

Hellebore
01-08-2006, 12:39
Please note, I expect he can take a witchblade.... thats.... almost good in combat, almost.
They mostly come out at night..... almost.

Why? It's a psychically attuned weapon, just as a chaplain can't use a force weapon, an Autarch can't use a witchblade. It would count as a ccw in the hands of someone that hasn't trained in its use- and no one said the Autarch trod EVERY eldar path - ranger long rifles, paintbrushes, and baking trays too?:p

shuri cats? dont think there is an aspect armed with them now, is there?

So you're saying that because the Autarch trod the path of the warrior, he's forgotten how to use the weapon they give ALL their militia?

Hellebore

Hellebore

Eldarin Hope
01-08-2006, 12:45
well, since the rumour is that he can use aspect weaponry it would seem a little random to include one weapon which was not

also, brim said something along the lines of: the options wouldnt be quite that extensive, to a similar list of weapons ... so it wouldnt surprise me if either or both the reaper launcher or death spinner were not included in the options

Sakura
01-08-2006, 12:52
Why? It's a psychically attuned weapon, just as a chaplain can't use a force weapon, an Autarch can't use a witchblade. It would count as a ccw in the hands of someone that hasn't trained in its use- and no one said the Autarch trod EVERY eldar path - ranger long rifles, paintbrushes, and baking trays too?:p

So you're saying that because the Autarch trod the path of the warrior, he's forgotten how to use the weapon they give ALL their militia?

Hellebore

Hellebore

The key to my quote was the word "Expect" and even "I" as in "I expect" not "It is". (hope that didnt come out abrasive.)
I expect it may be a piece of wargear for them. "May" All Eldar have a degree of Psychic power and that, well he looks like he needs a few more combat options, and well, witch blades are sort of an HQ option in the last book, the only guys that could take wargear could take witchblades, So.. I makes sense to me.:cool:

Sakura

Sakura

emperorpenguin
01-08-2006, 13:14
You don't need the impetus of a horse for the laser lance to have it's effect, though. It's more like a very short ranged laser shotgun.

but only used on jetbikes...as far as we know....

t-tauri
01-08-2006, 13:22
but only used on jetbikes...as far as we know....Other than this..

First, the laser lance is now a close combat weapon, not a shooting weapon.
...which suggests it can be used anywhere.

emperorpenguin
01-08-2006, 13:26
Other than this..

...which suggests it can be used anywhere.

no that just means it has lost the silly "counts as part of the assault phase" shot it had in favour of being a str6 power weapon

I reckon it'll still be restricted to bike use

dOOHICKY
01-08-2006, 13:42
Well if it is comparable to a rough rider lance then it will only be usable on the charge, although in their case probably usable in more than one charge.

Another good reason to give him a bike if using it in my opinion. I would assume that with a 3+ armour save he will not be able to Fleet...

Underway
01-08-2006, 14:06
He could fleet. Most exarches with a 3+ save can fleet. If autarch armour is similar in construction to exarch armour fleet is a possbility.

However if you have swooping hawk wings or a jump generator, do you really care about fleet??

As for the laser lance, all we know about it for sure is that it acts as a str 6 power weapon on the charge. After that we don't know if it still shoots, or not. Or if the SS have to use thier twinlinked shuricats on their bikes instead.

BTW an autarch with mandiblasters, shuriken pistol and a laser lance, charging into combat would get 6, str 6, WS 6 power weapon attacks. If that's not scary to you I don't know what is!

Lyinar
01-08-2006, 14:12
I just want to do an Autarch with a Laser Lance on foot because I'm crazy like that. ;)

Granted, I'll probably end up using some completely different combination of gear on my "real" Autarch, but still, the aspect of confusing the hell out of someone with my crazy one is too good to pass up. :D

Karhedron
01-08-2006, 20:13
And sorry to bring it up again, but I'm still wondering if anyone knows if the Autarch is limited to choosing only wargera from the various asspects, as in, not having access to any other wargear or anything.
Well we know he doesn't have access to Exarch wargear or skills. Between them, Aspect warriors carry almost all the weapons in the Eldar arsenal (apart from the heavy ones). I guess that leaves out the flamer but you can always take Warlocks with Destructor to fill that niche. I am not aware of the Autarch being able to take any weapons that you would not find an Aspect Warrior (of some type) carrying.

Ulthwe' being described as fielding large numbers of Guardians is a realatively new concept.
Actually it goes all the way back to the 2nd Edition Epic Eldar list which came out with WD 144 iirc (circa 1990). Each eldar army got a free unit depending on the Craftworld. Guardians for Ulthwe, Avengers for Biel Tan, Jetbikes for Saim Hann, Rangers for Alaitoc and Wraithguard for Iyanden. The character of the different Craftworlds were established then which was still during 40K 1st edition. It just wasn't something they picked up on in 2nd edition.

Karhedron
01-08-2006, 20:21
BTW an autarch with mandiblasters, shuriken pistol and a laser lance, charging into combat would get 6, str 6, WS 6 power weapon attacks. If that's not scary to you I don't know what is!
Certainly scary but he will also cost at least 100 points (probably closer to 120). For that I could buy another 3 Shining Spears who also get 6 str 6, WS 6 power weapon attacks when charging. Granted no 4+I save but you cannot have everything. Basically the idea that a character gets a similar number of attacks to the same points worth of troops does not seem unreasonable.

verydarkshadow
01-08-2006, 20:29
Originally posted by Karhedron
Well we know he doesn't have access to Exarch wargear or skills. Between them, Aspect warriors carry almost all the weapons in the Eldar arsenal (apart from the heavy ones). I guess that leaves out the flamer but you can always take Warlocks with Destructor to fill that niche. I am not aware of the Autarch being able to take any weapons that you would not find an Aspect Warrior (of some type) carrying.

Actually, I guess I'm just being noobish, y'know, hoping that there'd be some sort of skill that puts enemies at -1 to hit, or that he can get an executioner, or perhaps a witchblade...:rolleyes:

y'know, just wondering

Brimstone
01-08-2006, 21:07
Executioner - Exarch weapon therefore not available

Witchblade - Path of the Seer weapon therefore not available

Algothi
01-08-2006, 21:34
against what phil kelly said at games day toronto regarding the autarch. He said that if your willing to spend the points, you can easily make him a combat monster.. not sure how he can do that without access to exarch weapons...

"Combat Monster" is a very subjective term, I think. However there are a couple of options hinted at that will make him very good at CC. Mandiblaster, Powersword, Pistol combo will result in 6 powerweapon attacks on the charge. Jetbike, Laserlance, Mandiblaster combo will result in 5 powerweapon attacks with strength 6 on the charge. However, I dont really think he is meant to be a "monster" in close combat, but the above combos will make him close. I think he will be better at supporting combats and units with his presence and reserve abilities.

foehammer888
01-08-2006, 21:53
"Combat Monster" is a very subjective term, I think. However there are a couple of options hinted at that will make him very good at CC. Mandiblaster, Powersword, Pistol combo will result in 6 powerweapon attacks on the charge. Jetbike, Laserlance, Mandiblaster combo will result in 5 powerweapon attacks with strength 6 on the charge. However, I dont really think he is meant to be a "monster" in close combat, but the above combos will make him close. I think he will be better at supporting combats and units with his presence and reserve abilities.

Yeah, basically he will add a great deal of flexibility to a squad, and in addition a little extra hitting power. With a Fusion gun, power weapon, and mandiblaster, and jump generator, your warp spider squad can now kill tanks and is a nasty prospect if assaulted. Banshee mask, power weapon, pistol and hawks wings adds some punch to a hawk unit.

Foehammer

Messiah
01-08-2006, 22:21
In the photo of the slide show from games day Chi town it indicated the one shown was the army box special.

Um, no, it only says "Unique variant available in the army set", i.e. there is a unique variant in the box set..

Lanfiex
01-08-2006, 22:30

thought i thought that the laser lance was still assualt 1.

thought i suposse that mandi blasters, bike, power sword and chainsword would be pretty powerful thought. 6CC Attacks on the charge at S4 ignoring armour save and TL shruiken catapult.

Malakai
01-08-2006, 23:54
Um, no, it only says "Unique variant available in the army set", i.e. there is a unique variant in the box set..

Man, I really hate buying army deals. I just know that I will have to buy this box because of the Autarch. Hopefully there won't be alot of 2nd/3rd edition models in it. :(

-Malakai

Chosen Farseer
02-08-2006, 05:00
Hmm, but everything in the box is packed as normal, so you can sell them as never opened... ;)

t-tauri
02-08-2006, 07:46
Hmm, but everything in the box is packed as normal, so you can sell them as never opened... ;)
No it isn't. They caught onto that a long time ago. Nothing is shrinkwrapped so you can't return anything to a GW.

Homer S
02-08-2006, 12:11
Executioner - Exarch weapon therefore not available

Witchblade - Path of the Seer weapon therefore not available
The Witchblade is available to Warlocks. I thought the Warlock was a warrior path, not a seer path.

Homer Out

The Judge
02-08-2006, 12:16
Seer Path, just warrior orientated. Or did I get that wrong?

emperorpenguin
02-08-2006, 12:22
I think the fluff is they are on the path of the seer but have trodden the path of the warrior before.

Sakura
02-08-2006, 12:24
Brimstone said it so he's probably right, the only times he's wrong is when he makes a spelling mistakes which are rare.

I was just saying the whole witch blade thing so he could answer me without telling me directly.

I still think this AutArch is going to be a panzy. i'm so having an Avatar, no doubt it will cost alot less and be a whole lot stronger no matter WHAT you load the Autarch with.

Reserve rolls..... pffft... that aint going to help.... what starts in reserve in an Eldar army anyhoo? Nothing Ive used, thats for sure... sounds like a 5 pt ability. hmmm re-deepstriking..?

Charax
02-08-2006, 12:31
Brimstone said it so he's probably right, the only times he's wrong is when he makes a spelling mistakes which are rare.

Are memories so short? He also said Karandras (currently) dosen't have a biting blade. Brim is human, and just as prone to mistakes as anyone else.

Saraketh
02-08-2006, 12:56
the model looks great, but i am looking forward to using some current eldar models and making my own autarch once i have the codex to see the weapons choice. :)

Sakura
02-08-2006, 13:08
Are memories so short? He also said Karandras (currently) dosen't have a biting blade. Brim is human, and just as prone to mistakes as anyone else.

Are you saying I am calling him god or arguing pedantic things for the sake of drawing out the thread?
Make sure you get a screen shot of everyones comments for your filings too, you might need to break out when person one mispelt angles instead on angels. :)

my_name_is_tudor
02-08-2006, 13:29
No.. he's pointing out that Brim doesn't always get things right, and not always just because of spelling mistakes. He's not accusing you of anything, or drawing the thread out pedantically. He's countering your argument that Brim is only ever wrong when he types the wrong keys..

foehammer888
02-08-2006, 14:57
Are memories so short? He also said Karandras (currently) dosen't have a biting blade. Brim is human, and just as prone to mistakes as anyone else. Actually I believe he stated Karandras will not have a biting blade in the new codex. This makes sense, as the model has the scorpion claw, and the new biting blade is a two-handed weapon. Thus, in the new codex he could no longer use the two weapons at the same time.

Who uses reserve rolls? Have you never played an escallation game before?

Foehammer

Brimstone
02-08-2006, 15:11
No.. he's pointing out that Brim doesn't always get things right, and not always just because of spelling mistakes. He's not accusing you of anything, or drawing the thread out pedantically. He's countering your argument that Brim is only ever wrong when he types the wrong keys..

Of course I get things wrong, most recently the Guardian weapons platform taking up space in a Wave Serpent.

However in the cases discussed above I'm not :)

Algothi
02-08-2006, 15:27
thought i thought that the laser lance was still assualt 1.

Going by the rumors that the Autarch has Base of 3 attacks. 3 +1 from Mandiblaster + 1 from charging = 5 str 6 powerweapon attacks on the charge.

Zodiac
02-08-2006, 15:31
Hmmmm.. I do not LOVE the model.. because its quite flat..and it looks like it jumped straight out of a cheap japanese comic book ..

Anarchist Angel
02-08-2006, 20:22
Any1 know if autarch can have a bright lance? lol!

Mirumoto
02-08-2006, 20:26
The actual rumour states that yes, he can have a brightlance, what we don't know is if the Autarch can have it without purchasing a jetbike.

Anarchist Angel
02-08-2006, 20:28
Going by the rumors that the Autarch has Base of 3 attacks. 3 +1 from Mandiblaster + 1 from charging = 5 str 6 powerweapon attacks on the charge.

Madiblaster is not a power weapon attack and would not benefit from the lance. Sorry to burst your bubble or anything but rules are rules. Its still faster than your attacks tho. Speaking of speed any1 know Autarch's Initiative?

Algothi
02-08-2006, 20:29
The rumors state that if its standard Aspect wargear (Not Exarch Gear as they are ancient items belonging to the Aspect Shrine), then yes he can get it. So thats a YES and the LASERlance, negative on the Brightlance.

Madiblaster is not a power weapon attack and would not benefit from the lance. Sorry to burst your bubble or anything but rules are rules. Its still faster than your attacks tho. Speaking of speed any1 know Autarch's Initiative?

Understand that the rumors about the Mandiblaster state that its simply +1 attack now, and thus my speculation about the # of attacks. I am well aware of its current rules (+2 Init, 4+ hit, 4+ wound.)

Anarchist Angel
02-08-2006, 20:31
As a brightlance has the lance rule (according to Brimstone) does that mean a str 8 Autarch?!?

I would agree with Algothi, the Mandiblaster seems to be taking the same sort of rule as many other upgrades, eg demonic mutation, tormentor helm etc in giving +1 attack with no restrictions.

Very few weapons give +1 attack with limitations, eg Abbbbaddddoons sword (gah, can never remember how many 'b's or 'd's in his name, go with a few and you will be fine!)

Understand that the rumors about the Mandiblaster state that its simply +1 attack now, and thus my speculation about the # of attacks. I am well aware of its current rules (+2 Init, 4+ hit, 4+ wound.)

It is still a weapon tho, right? The rules state no weapon power combinations. In theory this means its just plus 1 normal attack...

If it is no longer a weapon im fine with it but otherwise the rules apply...

Algothi
02-08-2006, 20:38
Not a weapon but a peice of wargear, currently. We will have to wait for the codex release or a confirmation from those In-The-Know to be sure. Though I doubt it is how you say, if so then that would render Scorps with 2 S4 attacks and 1 S3 attack which would be cumbersome and quite a downgrade from their current form.

WokeUpDead
02-08-2006, 20:39
As a brightlance has the lance rule (according to Brimstone) does that mean a str 8 Autarch?!?

yeah, right..
and if you let him crawl on all 4 limbs you may mount a dual d-cannon on his back :D :p

Anarchist Angel
02-08-2006, 20:40
Not a weapon but a peice of wargear, currently. We will have to wait for the codex release or a confirmation from those In-The-Know to be sure.

I seriously hope for it to be wargear being an eldar player, but im not that happy with cheating thats all. I just dont get the same satisfaction from thrashing someone in a game lol!

Mirumoto
02-08-2006, 21:09
I think mandiblaster will be made just like tormentor helms, grant +1A without restrictions and possibly (although I doubt it) letting it be fired like a pistol in the shooting phase (like tormentor helms). Also it would reinforce even more the feeling that incubus are "fallen scorpions" in that they share wargear with their craftworld kin.

Farseerixirvost
02-08-2006, 21:53
Brimstone said he had access to aspect weapons because he had trod every path of the warrior without becoming an Exarch - he said nothing about only SOME aspects. It might be powerful, but his statline is for combat, and putting the Heavy2 reaper launcher on him wouldn't do that stat line any favours. Of course, you CAN fire Heavy weapons while mounted on a jetbike.

Almost right. You can fire heavy weapons that are MOUNTED on a jetbike, not carried in the hand.

Reserve rolls..... pffft... that aint going to help.... what starts in reserve in an Eldar army anyhoo? Nothing Ive used, thats for sure... sounds like a 5 pt ability. hmmm re-deepstriking..?

What starts in reserve in an eldar army? Lots of things in an Omega level mission or any other mission that uses Escalation rules. ;)

IJW
02-08-2006, 22:07
It is still a weapon tho, right? The rules state no weapon power combinations. In theory this means its just plus 1 normal attack...
This stuff should really be in the rules forum. But just to get it clear, under current rules ALL CC attacks are made with a single weapon type, so +1A from a mandiblaster WOULD be made with a power weapon if the figure chose to use the power weapon that turn.

Example - basic Banshee charges under current rules - 1A base, +1A for charging, +1A for a second CC weapon (in this case a Shuriken Pistol) - for a total of three attacks which all count as being made with a power weapon.

foehammer888
02-08-2006, 23:18
This stuff should really be in the rules forum. But just to get it clear, under current rules ALL CC attacks are made with a single weapon type, so +1A from a mandiblaster WOULD be made with a power weapon if the figure chose to use the power weapon that turn.

Example - basic Banshee charges under current rules - 1A base, +1A for charging, +1A for a second CC weapon (in this case a Shuriken Pistol) - for a total of three attacks which all count as being made with a power weapon. Exactly, banshees don't get 1 non-power weapon attack at S4 because the other weapon is a shuriken pistol. Similarly, if a space marine captain has a power sword and a chainsword, he doesn't get 3 power weapon attacks and 1 non-power weapon attack. However, he can technically chose to use the chainsword in battle instead of the power weapon and will get no benefits from it.

Am I right in assuming that things are defined as "weapons" and "wargear" by there listing in equipment lists. However, these lists usually only contain equipment which is available to characters. It's like the old arguments people have with "replacing" vs. "armed with" for weapons. Nothing tells me whether a lascannon is a one or two handed weapon. I dont' agree that a model should be able to have a bolter and a lascannon, but only character available equipment is defined as having a "hand" requirement. Similarly, I don't think any of the exarch equipment is technically labeled as being "wargear" or "weapons".

As a brightlance has the lance rule (according to Brimstone) does that mean a str 8 Autarch?!? As the brightlance is a heavy weapon (technically assault, but you know what I mean), and a shooting weapon, 1) the exarch probably won't be able to carry one and 2) even if he did, he would have a S8 shooting attack, not close combat attacks. He still does have a S8 shooting attack if he can take a fusion gun. Now a LASERlance, he can probably take, and that would give him S6 close combat attacks on the charge.

Foehammer

Evilgnome
03-08-2006, 00:06
As the brightlance is a heavy weapon (technically assault, but you know what I mean), and a shooting weapon, 1) the exarch probably won't be able to carry one and 2) even if he did...
Foehammer

Don't Dark Eldar Armies have Dark Lance toting jump pack troops?

Eideu
03-08-2006, 00:19
they do indeed,reapers with wings.They are called Scourges.but some are armed with spiter rifles.Im really looking forwward to odex eldat, anyword on the new tank?

WokeUpDead
03-08-2006, 00:26
Don't Dark Eldar Armies have Dark Lance toting jump pack troops?

erm, yeah.. and? :eyebrows:

they do indeed,reapers with wings.They are called Scourges.but some are armed with spiter rifles.Im really looking forwward to odex eldat, anyword on the new tank?

to my knowledge there is no new tank (nor is there any 'new' tank in epic that's not in 40K/forgeworld, and I think they wouldn't just invent one out of the blue).

Bloodknight
03-08-2006, 01:17
Scourges, yes. They cannot fire their Dark Lances on the move and are horrendously costly with them. That&#180;s why you normally see them in 2 forms: a) with Splinter Cannons, as these are Assault weapons or b) in a carrying case. ;).

It could however be possible that an Autarch could choose a Brightlance or Firepike, Harlies and FD-Exarch could do that since the beginning.

TomKamakazi
03-08-2006, 01:47
Before we get too far off topic; Every one realises there is a difference between the Brightlance and the Laserlance right?

I know we don't see Shining Spears very often, and even when we do it's the bright lance armed exarch they are known for, but their primary weapon is the laserlance and it is all about stabbing folk, up close and personally.

I'm sure an Autarch can use it, but I'm guessing that you'll need that jet bike.
Scourges aren't a good example to the contrary, because their "lances" are actually very large cannons that are NOT for up close use.

Austinitor
03-08-2006, 03:01
Before we get too far off topic; Every one realises there is a difference between the Brightlance and the Laserlance right?

I know we don't see Shining Spears very often, and even when we do it's the bright lance armed exarch they are known for, but their primary weapon is the laserlance and it is all about stabbing folk, up close and personally.

I'm sure an Autarch can use it, but I'm guessing that you'll need that jet bike.
Scourges aren't a good example to the contrary, because their "lances" are actually very large cannons that are NOT for up close use.
Do recall that there was a Bright Lance option for the S.Spears Exarch in the wh40k 3rd ed. codex.

best,

Austin

Evilgnome
03-08-2006, 03:18
erm, yeah.. and? :eyebrows:

Sorry, I was being economical with a point wasn't i!? :angel:

Just suggesting the potential there for an Autarch, or indeed another character *on foot* (say a Death jester type or Reaper Exarch?) to cart a brightlance around.

Saying that, I wasn't aware that Scourges were move or fire with the Dark Lance , which would make it pretty impractical if the Bright Lance used an equivalent rule.

Brimstone
03-08-2006, 05:43
Do recall that there was a Bright Lance option for the S.Spears Exarch in the wh40k 3rd ed. codex.

Correct but that option is now gone.

And if you want a Laser Lance on a Autarch you HAVE to take a jetbike.

Isambard
03-08-2006, 06:12
Is the opposite true, if we want a jetbike, we have to take a laser lance?

Akhenaton
03-08-2006, 06:14
But the option exists for a jetbike/ laser lance equipped Autarch?

That combined with a mandiblaster helmet would make him quite nasty.

Brimstone
03-08-2006, 06:15
Is the opposite true, if we want a jetbike, we have to take a laser lance?

Nope you can arm a jetbike mounted Autarch with anything you want.

Akhenaton
03-08-2006, 06:30
So Autarch+jetbike+laser lance+fusion gun+mandiblaster helmet is a viable option.

Should make him quite capable of taking out marine characters if people so wish.

Brimstone
03-08-2006, 06:32
So Autarch+jetbike+laser lance+fusion gun+mandiblaster helmet is a viable option.

Yes that's a viable but rather expensive option.

The Dude
03-08-2006, 06:35
Surely both weapons are 2-handed, and therefore not able to be equipped at the same time.

Varath- Lord Impaler
03-08-2006, 06:48
hmmm possibly, i dont know if the fusion gun is classified as 2 handed

The Dude
03-08-2006, 06:52
It should be. It's a rifle. If a Bolter is a 2 handed weapon, a Fusion Gun should be too.

Maybe the Laser Lance is one handed.

Ravenous
03-08-2006, 06:52
thats true it wasnt really mentioned before. but it would make sense for it to be 2 handed.

perhaps the lance is one handed?

The Dude
03-08-2006, 07:13
Realistically, any mounted model should only be able to take 1 weapon, as they've gotta steer with something :D. My Librarian on a bike only has a Force Axe despite technically being able to take a BP as well because I don't think it's realistic to be able to wield both and stay on your bike.

P.S. this isn't an opening for fluff arguments about super skilled riders / psychically controlled jetbikes. Thanks ;).

Isambard
03-08-2006, 07:51
That makes an intersting point. If the laser lance is one handed, the brightlance must be as well (as it was an upgrade for the Exarch).

This means that not only is the bright lance as assault weapon, but it only needs one hand to hold it. Compared to the Lascannon, which is both 2 handed and heavy....

Nexto
03-08-2006, 07:54
i think the most important word in your whole post is "was" ;)

it "was" an upgrade, so i dont think you can make any assumptations based on that.

Isambard
03-08-2006, 08:31
Fair enough. I still have a guardian model that has ditched the weapon platform and is huling one around, with one hand (and a sword in the other). He looks pretty cool and mocks Space Marines who, despite having power armour, need 2 hands and still cant move and shoot!

The Judge
03-08-2006, 09:09
I thought that if you were on a bike, you couldn't take more than a single-handed weapon? Maybe I missed something.

The Dude
03-08-2006, 09:20
That makes an intersting point. If the laser lance is one handed, the brightlance must be as well (as it was an upgrade for the Exarch).

Yes but does he take another weapon as well? You can have 1 2-handed and 1 1-handed, but not 2 2-handed. Therefore, I could see him being okay with 1 1-handed Bright Lance, but not a Bright lance and a Power Weapon.

I thought that if you were on a bike, you couldn't take more than a single-handed weapon? Maybe I missed something.

If that were true, Space marine bikers couldn't take Meltaguns, Plasmaguns or Flamers.

I could see one weapon (1 or 2 handed) but not a restriction to 1 1-handed weapon.

I could be wrong though

dOOHICKY
03-08-2006, 10:59
The Dude ----> I thought those weapons (melta etc) were attached to the bike itself.

So maybe an underslung Brightlance on the jetbike and then a onehanded weaponi nthe autarch's hand.

Or even an underslung fusion gun... :)

Brimstone
03-08-2006, 11:11
So maybe an underslung Brightlance on the jetbike and then a onehanded weaponi nthe autarch's hand.

Autarchs CANNOT TAKE brightlances they are a vehicle/platform mounted weapon.

Autarchs can take a laser lance if on a jetbike.

emperorpenguin
03-08-2006, 11:17

Why do I get a horrible feeling that there isn't an Autarch on jetbike model and that'll involve mutilating one of the nice new Autarchs!?

On a related note nobody has said anything in ages about the rumoured farseer/warlock on jetbike. We're still going to have to convert one aren't we?

Gabriel
03-08-2006, 11:54
Brim, can the Autarch be made into something that can go toe to toe with a space marine hero and come out the other side? I just want to know if he can be made into a cc monster or not. And can he take Autarch specific weaponry (as you said he can't take exarch weaponry)
(i think you did anyway)

Harky
03-08-2006, 12:02
IIRC the designers compared the Autorarch to Batman rather than Superman when it comes to CC. He'll have gadgets but will still be fragile.

Underway
03-08-2006, 12:45
If the Autarch has Ws6 Bs6 St3 W3 I6 A3 Ld10 and is armed with a shuriken pistol, a laser lance, jetbike, mandiblasters, then that is 6 Str 6 power weapon attacks on the charge.

I think thats enough to make some tyranid monstrous creatures nervous. What do you think it does to a Space Marine Commander?

Nexto
03-08-2006, 13:08
I think thats enough to make some tyranid monstrous creatures nervous. What do you think it does to a Space Marine Commander?

To be exactly, it does the following to a marine commander:

6 Attacks -> 4 Hits -> 20/6 Wounds -> 3 1/3 lost HP

If the FC has a this fancy 4+ inv cloak, he will inflict (you guessed it...) 1 2/3 lost HP and still 2 1/9 if he has terminator armor

So, yes, with this weapon setup, he should be able to kill a marine commander quite easily... as long as he has no inv save or a weapon with str6 or higher.

t-tauri
03-08-2006, 13:23
Unless anyone can provide a quote to the opposite the 4th edition removes the restriction of 3rd where you couldn't have two one handed weapons on a bike. Space Marine characters and some other bikers with the option in their codex can have a second ccw. :D

FuSs
03-08-2006, 13:32
The question is 'do you need a jetbike to take a laser lance'?

Eldarin Hope
03-08-2006, 13:38

Brim already answered that a couple of pages ago ;)

Anarchist Angel
03-08-2006, 13:38

Should make him quite capable of taking out marine characters if people so wish.

Dont characters on jetbikes need one hand free to controll the bike? This rule even applies to Harlie Characters in the current rules.

Nexto
03-08-2006, 13:43
Deliver a quote and we believe you ;)

As it stands now, bikers can take weapons exactly as normal infantry, there are no restrictions (only in some codices, but they dont apply to bikders in general).

Anarchist Angel
03-08-2006, 13:56
Deliver a quote and we believe you ;)

As it stands now, bikers can take weapons exactly as normal infantry, there are no restrictions (only in some codices, but they dont apply to bikders in general).

It says you cant combine weapons for +1 attack but you can still take them both. so it's 5 str 6 power weapon attacks so still good....

I only have a DE codex handy but thay seem to follow this rule. Unsure about eldar and harlies. It also says only single handed weapons on bikes.

t-tauri
03-08-2006, 14:33
I only have a DE codex handy but thay seem to follow this rule. Unsure about eldar and harlies. It also says only single handed weapons on bikes.
Some codexes-CSM for one-prohibit the use of two one handed ccw on a bike so Chaos Marines don't get an extra attack (but they do get one for the blades on the bike). Marine characters can get two one handed ccw and have no prohibition in the Space Marine bike entry on using them.

The "one hand to control a bike" general rule went with third edition. Some codexes left from third still have the prohibition in them which still applies.

Anarchist Angel
03-08-2006, 14:35
Some codexes-CSM for one-prohibit the use of two one handed ccw on a bike so Chaos Marines don't get an extra attack (but they do get one for the blades on the bike). Marine characters can get two one handed ccw and have no prohibition in the Space Marine bike entry on .

The "one hand to control a bike" general rule went with third edition. Some codexes left from third still have the prohibition in them which still applies.

Fair enough, thats going to make DE pretty hard when they get re-vamped. Them damn whych lords get enough attacks as it is!

Karhedron
03-08-2006, 18:57
Almost right. You can fire heavy weapons that are MOUNTED on a jetbike, not carried in the hand.
Actually in 4th edition there is no longer any distinction between weapons mounted on bikes and those carried by the rider.

Surely both weapons are 2-handed, and therefore not able to be equipped at the same time.
No, the laser lance is a single-handed weapon. The only 2-handed CC weapon I can think is the Eviscerator (although the new biting blade looks like it may become 2-handed).

Not anymore, Exarchs can no longer take Brightlances. They can take a Star Lance however which gives them S8 on the charge. :eek:

Another 3rd edition restriction that was dropped in 4th edition. Most bike troops do not have the option in their codex to take a 2nd CC weapon but it is now allowed. Characters in particular usually do so as they can take from the armoury.

EnglishGrant
03-08-2006, 19:02
The Autarch looks absolutely scintillating. Forgive me if it's been mentioned before in this thread, but who designed it? Jes? The static pose doesn't bother me in the slightest, and the rather excessively-ornamented helmet, combined with the wings, rather than seeming over-indulgent and silly; in my opinion lend the model a highly majestic presence. The paint-job is brilliant, and the colour scheme may not be the one I would choose, but that is largely irrelevant. The codex cover is solid, but not utterly amazing, I would say.

malisteen
03-08-2006, 19:23
Actually, I like the Autarch in the codex cover more then the model. More regal to me, and I do think the big helmet and raised wings together are a bit much.

That doesn't stop it from being an awesome model, though.

Gabriel
03-08-2006, 22:59
I guess that's a 'yes' on the awesome cc Autarch thing. Goody gumdrops! :)

Brimstone
05-08-2006, 20:41
Well thanks to Lord Velard we now have a picture of the second Autarch.

http://www.pbase.com/brimstone/image/64652637.jpg

Zodiac
05-08-2006, 20:43
awesome, I actually love it

Brimstone
05-08-2006, 20:49
I don't know if I'd use a spider warp jump pack on such a expensive character though, roll the wrong dice and he's lost in the warp.

Eideu
05-08-2006, 20:53
sweet,much better then the other one, why no power sword?

Norminator
05-08-2006, 20:54
Good point Brim, though by the looks of it I think it was more put on to fit with the model and showcase it than for a gaming prespective. It wouldn't be the first time GW have done something like this, i.e. the XV8 with Burst Cannon and Missile Pod in the old tau codex.