PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Tau or Necrons

Maximus_Prime
30-07-2006, 12:01
Hi guys,

After growing tired of playing my Dark Angels army (which was my stereotypical "noob" army), who could barely manage to win a battle (shooty armies are no good when you've got a good 12 or so khorne berzerkers shoved up your squads ****), I've decided that the armies of the Imperium just aren't for me
So after going through my options (Def not playing as Dark Eldar or Eldar, and tyranids look like a pain to paint, plus my friends are already CSM and Orkz) It came down to Tau or Necrons. Both armie's models score a 10 on the badass scale, and seem easy enough to paint. Opinions are encouraged, and I would like to know about the Pro's and cons of each of the armies

Thanks for your help!:D

tau_caste
30-07-2006, 12:10
Ok i collect both...
my opinion is if you want an easy army to paint go for the necrons... tau can be hard depending on the colour you choose (damn vomit brown :p )
IMO:
Necrons pros: easy to paint, good survivability, small cost to get them going, "We'll be back"
Necrons Cons: high points cost meaning not much on the table and will almost always be outnumbered, not much choice for units

Tau Pros: Great firepower can outshoot most armies,
Tau Cons: not a good army to get into combat (except kroot), great choice in units.

if i come up with some more ill get back to you
by the way these are IMO...

~Browny out~

sigur
30-07-2006, 12:16
Necrons:
PROS - tough army, easy to paint (if that's what you want)
CONS - Marine equivalents, just the thing you've been playing for a long time now., not much variation, questionable models and fluff

Tau:
PROS - interesting army with a brand new army book, NOT Space Marines, nifty models
CONS - Maybe still need a bit of thought to win (haven't read the new codex, maybe the it this unfortunate point though :rolleyes: )

In my opinion, the main point that speaks for Tau is that you've been playing a T4, power armour-army before. Real 40k takes place without power armour.;)

Norminator
30-07-2006, 12:17
I've found that Tau are more interesting to play and paint, with a far more 'military' feel to them than the Necrons. It depends on whether you want an MEQ (Marine Equivelant) or a less tough but more characterful army. If you want a bit of a change from marines, I'd recommend Tau (I started them after getting bored with my Ultramarines).

Maleficum
31-07-2006, 19:22
I voted 'Tau' as they seem fit to fight agaisnt orks. (Both mini-campaigns on the us GW-site have been agaisnt orks.

If your scared of painting tyranids you should know that some use "dipping" method to rather swell effect. I'm tempted in starting Tau og IG myself, as I have lot's of Chaos and a decent tyranid army (need 1-2 carnifexes and 3 raveners)

Xander-K
31-07-2006, 19:33
Tau are great, but IMO the models look really poor, chicken legs on the mechs (even forgeworld ones) there are however two decent models which is the firewarrior and stealth suit, the rest look quite ridiculous.... saying that

Necrons aren't any better, so if you can put up with 2nd class models then go for the 'crons IMO they have some really neat units (altho not much choice) and try making an army without a Monolith I think you will be surprised by it.

UnRiggable
31-07-2006, 19:39
I don't like how unvaried the necrons are, and I ind them rather boring to play against. They also only have one tank, which is stupid. But at least they have CCW!

athamas
31-07-2006, 19:43
Tau,

oh, you want a reason...

well for starters they are not MEQ, then they have some stunning models, and they distort the core rules about as much as any army...

you can create some truly sick armies that pound 90% of marine armies and actually have tactics to play..

erm.. want more reasons?

Voodoo Boyz
31-07-2006, 21:13
Both are fun armies that can be very mobile and fun if you build your lists right.

Both take tactics to win and have shortcomings in in the list you'll have to work to avoid.

Necrons are a LOT cheaper to buy, basically two battle forces and a Monolith will give you the models to field a really strong 1500 point army.

They are very hard to come up with varied army lists that are effective, the Tau have a few that can work but on the whole it all revolves around 3 Hammerheads and a whole lot of Battlesuits. The Necrons want a hoard of Warriors and Lord's with Ressurection orbs and posibly Viels of Darkness, and a Monolith + Destroyers.

Antaeus
31-07-2006, 21:16
I went for Tau. Totally different to Dark Angels, some pretty nice models, and tactically pretty flexible (as long as you don't get within clubbing range unless totally necessary ;)). Very sci-fi as well, if that's what you're looking for.

Kymar
31-07-2006, 21:31
I'd say Tau, mainly because it will be a drastic change from DA and there is alot of variation in the Tau army. Necrons are neat, but a bit bland and playing them can get a bit monotonous.

Norminator
31-07-2006, 22:49
They are very hard to come up with varied army lists that are effective, the Tau have a few that can work but on the whole it all revolves around 3 Hammerheads and a whole lot of Battlesuits.

I'd disagree with this statement. My Tau, which I believe are a strong, balanced army, feature only one Hammerhead and only two crisis squads (of which one is HQ).

Lokust
31-07-2006, 22:54
I vote Tau because I feel that they are considerably more fun to play with, or play against, then Necrons.

DaFabsta
31-07-2006, 23:13
I voted necrons (don't hit me!! :p )

I think tau and necrons are equally fun to play

however, in my games I have found that necorns are more of a offensive force, while tau are more like 'evade & shoot from far away'.

for all of those who think: how could uber slow necrons be offensive!?
well, then you have never seen my army :p

in terms of tactics I think both forces are equal

in terms of variaty tau win, however, this does not mean necrons are boring or that every list is the same.

be creative with necrons and you'll have loads of fun

DeXyre
31-07-2006, 23:29
As a current necron player I still voted tau... since they just had a new codex etc...
by the time the new necron codex is released you might have a nice tau army already and you can begin collecting necron? :D

Voodoo Boyz
31-07-2006, 23:35
I'd disagree with this statement. My Tau, which I believe are a strong, balanced army, feature only one Hammerhead and only two crisis squads (of which one is HQ).

Well since it's probably not off topic for the thread, posting some sample army lists might be a good idea. :)

Norminator
01-08-2006, 00:03
Actually that's a good idea... I'll post the list I used against my friend's Necrons :D This isn't tournie legal, as I used Forge World models (two tetras), but they could easily have been exchanged for something similar if I had the models.

Note: I won a solid victory against his army, which consisted of 3 destroyers, 3 heavy destroyers, 36 warriors, 7 immortals, 3 wraiths, a lord and a monolith.

Tau: 1500 points (IIRC this was my list)

HQ

Shas'o
Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, Flamer, Hard Wired Target Lock, Hard Wired Drone Controller, Iridium Armour.

Bodyguard
Shas'vre
T/L Missile Pod, Flamer, Hard Wired Mutlitracker
Shas'vre
T/L Plasma Rifle, Target Lock

Elites

Crisis Team
Shas'ui
T/L Burst Cannon, Target Lock
Shas'ui
T/L Fusion Blaster, Targetting Array

Stealth Team
2xShas'ui
1xShas'vre/Markerlight

Troops

FW Team
12xFW
12xPhoton Grenades
Pulse Carbines

FW Team
12xFW
Mounted in Devilfish

Devilfish
Multi-tracker, Targetting Array

Fast Attack

Tetra Team
2x Tetras

Piranha Team
2xPiranha/burst cannon
2xSeeker Missiles

Piranha Team
1xPiranha/Fusion Blaster

Heavy Support

Broadside
Shas'vre
Multitracker, Advanced Stabilisation System

Hammerhead
Railgun, Burst Cannons, Multitracker, Target Lock

And this is the battle report I wrote for it: http://medusav.uk.games-workshop.com/campaign/viewbattle.aspx?battleid=50385

MrLiy
01-08-2006, 00:05
I think you should just try proxying necrons, with your dark angels.
If you end up feeling like you are playing DA regardless of your necron rules, then obviously you should play TAU!

(I hope what I wrote made sense)

n00bLord
01-08-2006, 00:54
I have played against both Tau and Necrons and I find Tau are little bit easier to smash around with my two armies. Beware nids and thier leaping little lizards if your Tau. Once your in CC your pretty much done for.

Necrons? I enjoy the army much more than the Tau, and I like the fluff for the most part compared to the Tau. And I love the feeling of finally downing the Necrons for the last time.

Killing a necron is more of an achievment than killing a buncha Tau.

Ps. Should get nids. Join the Hive Mind...

Voodoo Boyz
01-08-2006, 02:29
Actually that's a good idea... I'll post the list I used against my friend's Necrons :D This isn't tournie legal, as I used Forge World models (two tetras), but they could easily have been exchanged for something similar if I had the models.

Note: I won a solid victory against his army, which consisted of 3 destroyers, 3 heavy destroyers, 36 warriors, 7 immortals, 3 wraiths, a lord and a monolith.

Tau: 1500 points (IIRC this was my list)

HQ

Shas'o
Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, Flamer, Hard Wired Target Lock, Hard Wired Drone Controller, Iridium Armour.

Bodyguard
Shas'vre
T/L Missile Pod, Flamer, Hard Wired Mutlitracker
Shas'vre
T/L Plasma Rifle, Target Lock

Elites

Crisis Team
Shas'ui
T/L Burst Cannon, Target Lock
Shas'ui
T/L Fusion Blaster, Targetting Array

Stealth Team
2xShas'ui
1xShas'vre/Markerlight

Troops

FW Team
12xFW
12xPhoton Grenades
Pulse Carbines

FW Team
12xFW
Mounted in Devilfish

Devilfish
Multi-tracker, Targetting Array

Fast Attack

Tetra Team
2x Tetras

Piranha Team
2xPiranha/burst cannon
2xSeeker Missiles

Piranha Team
1xPiranha/Fusion Blaster

Heavy Support

Broadside
Shas'vre
Multitracker, Advanced Stabilisation System

Hammerhead
Railgun, Burst Cannons, Multitracker, Target Lock

And this is the battle report I wrote for it: http://medusav.uk.games-workshop.com/campaign/viewbattle.aspx?battleid=50385

Well I'm not sure what Tetras do, but I'm guessing they can go tank hunting? With only two Railguns I'm surprized you don't have problems with Anti-tank. But hey if you like it and are successful I'm not going to criticise it especially since I don't play Tau.

Here's one of the reasons I like Necrons a lot: They have Mobility with their HQ's and the Monolith, and abilities to cover their weaknesses (Close Combat) without being utterly broken and while keeping a good number of troops on the field. The REAL weakness of Necrons is their inability to really deal with units that have a 2+ Save while remaining effective at everything else.

Tau I see as more of a mech force since that's what I would play if I owned em, all my Firewarrors in Devilfish, 3 Hammerheads, and Fireknife Crisis Suits. This kind of list can avoid combat if it has to, but generally will still have trouble with a very fast moving force.

Timestreamer
01-08-2006, 07:11
I would heve been voted TAU if i had more than 1 model those, but i like them and going to get TAU battleforce to start within. but for now Necrons are THE race for me, maybe i like them cause they are so sinister and mysterious with so little backround, that you can make complete your own backgrounds, Stories, play scenarios ten thousands years before man even existed (The Great war with the Creators and Ancients) :chrome:
the Metal is living, the Metal is living, the Metal is living, :chrome:

Maximus_Prime
01-08-2006, 08:33
Well thanks for the comments guys, I have decided Tau and have just gotten back from my hobby shop with the codex and my first box of fire warriors (wish I had a job =[ )and I'm assembling them now. My new dilemma is the color scheme xD

any ideas?

WolfofMibu
01-08-2006, 08:59
I think Tetras are basically little scout skimmers with Markerlights on them. I'm not sure if they have some other type of light armament, but I doubt it.

Anyway, I'm glad you chose Tau. There're a lot more cool options with them. The Necron armylist is extremely limited, and you'd quickly become bored.

VenerableDread
01-08-2006, 09:21
Well, dispite that, I'm voting Necrons anyway. Why? Because they can come back to life, great rules and models, have some very badass units, and very easy to paint by the looks of it. The only downside though is that they have little veriety, but do I care about that? I'm getting some Necrons for my birthday. :p

I was originally going for Tau myself, but a mod for Dawn of War just changed my mind! :evilgrin:

Yeah, I know you're going for Tau, but maybe you should start collecting Necrons once you're bored with your Tau army?

WolfofMibu
01-08-2006, 09:28
If he gets bored with Tau, he should collect a melee army, like Khorne or Bugs. Any other shooty army, like Necrons, will pale in comparison. The only shooty army that approaches Tau's awesomeness is Guard. You go Guard if you want a static army that has a ton of big guns, and you go Tau if you want a mobile infantry army with a few big guns and a lot of medium guns.

Kelpi
01-08-2006, 10:10
IMO you have made the right decision with Tau.

My first army is Orks, which I still play and love regularly. About 2 years ago I was thinking about a second army and the choices were (you guessed it) Tau and Necrons.

In the end I went with Necrons and have regretted it since. Dont get me wrong, I enjoyed painting and playing Necrons but the fluff and lack of variety is what kills it for me.

My 3rd army is Tau and I enjoy them much more, they are a much more dynamic army than Necrons. When you include Gue'Vesa you have a decent variety in troops and a nice amount of customizability in general.

Sgt Biffo
01-08-2006, 10:15
If your over shooty armies:

DON'T GO TAU!!!

I'm suprised you seemed to consider it as an option after your initial post (???).

That and this world needs another Tau player like it needs a dick favoured lolly-pop.

I'd personally suggest 'Nids. Dry brushing cuts down on the painting time. If your playing against Orks alot, no-one does the attrition game like 'Nids. If CSM is doing your head in; all the class troops in the world will never kill enough 'Nids (Trust me I've tried).

Gae'Mot
01-08-2006, 10:19
I like (and play) both.
I'm enjoying tau more than necrons lately (partly because of the new codex). But then again, playing will be something for later this year (I'm planning to revamp both).

Tau are more challenging, so I think you should try them over necrons^^

Norminator
01-08-2006, 10:44
I think Tetras are basically little scout skimmers with Markerlights on them. I'm not sure if they have some other type of light armament, but I doubt it.

Correct, they have markerlights. However they also have T/L Pulse Rifles for a bit of protection, but I prefer to use them to launch seeker missiles at Lord's etc to Instakill.

Maximus_Prime
01-08-2006, 10:51
If I decide to start another army, It will most likely be either a Tzeentch chaos army (Haven't tried psychic powers in any of the battles me or my friends played) or I might start a Tyranid army, because I've heard they are relatively cheap to get a small force going

fracas
01-08-2006, 12:19
buy the battleforce. i think it is rather decent.

Norminator
01-08-2006, 12:36
The new Tau Megaforce is coming out soon, which is something to look out for.

UnRiggable
01-08-2006, 16:58
comes with 0 kroot which is cool for a themed force, as GW finally realized that not every army needs kroot.

WolfofMibu
01-08-2006, 18:31
Tzeentch's hard but fun to play, or so I'm told. Load up on Flamers; they're essentially squads of heavy bolters with invulnerable saves for a reasonable cost.

Stillfrosty
01-08-2006, 18:40
I was just curious as to what the tau mega force contains and when it is planned to come out. I am not interested in buying it, since I have a complete army all ready (I think like 3500 points more or less) Just curious and to let others know to save up for it!

--Brandon

BrainFireBob
01-08-2006, 19:13
I voted Tau.

If you're having problems with your Dark Angels because of close combat, and don't find it fun, I assumed you don't like just playing the attrition game- "did I shoot them enough to win combat?"

With Necrons, you'll find yourself playing the attrition game. Tau give you a bit more flexibility- and since it sounds like you want to stick with the shooty army, I'd go with the 30" base range guns.