PDA

View Full Version : Power Familiars vs. 7th edition

RobbiP
30-07-2006, 14:35
*Alright, for those who don't know what they are, they are Arcane magic items which give one additional power dice and one additional dispel dice.

Anyways, here's an example: Let's say I have a lvl2 wizard and a lvl4 wizard. The level 2 wizard has the Power Familiar. Now, according to the 7th ed rules coming out, power dice produced by a wizard can only be used by that wizard. However, the Power Familiar says that the FAMILIAR produces these extra dice, not the wizard itself. So, with that logic, can that extra power dice the lvl2 wiz's familiar made be used to power the lvl4's magic?

/Rob

vcassano
30-07-2006, 15:38
Although I don't have the book to hand to check exactly how it is written it does appear that this is a rule that needs some clarification: it should clearly only be used by the holder. If someone tried to use a level 2's power familiar to power a level 4's magic, I would seriously condemn them for it as it is simply immoral.

Latro
30-07-2006, 15:55
If the description of the item says it gives the bearer an extra dice, then it would of course only be usable by the wizard carrying the item. The power familiar (VC one) however say it adds the dice to the pool ... which makes it usable for any wizard who wants to.

... in short, reading the description of the item should give you all the info you need.

:cool:

RobbiP
30-07-2006, 15:59
In the Chaos book-
"The Familiar adds one dice to both blah blah blah"

So, that means it's open for anyone to use, correct?

Ganymede
30-07-2006, 16:45
Quite frankly, there is absolutely no solid answer to this question. Even when the rulebook comes out, the answer will not be clear.

barring a surprise faq, you need to come up with a reasonable solution with your opponents and tournament organizers. At least, you have to until your newly clarified and updated armybook comes out.

DirtJumper
30-07-2006, 17:02
It's simple really. As previously pointed out in this thread, if it says it adds it to the common magic pool, and that it is the familiar it's self that's generating the dice, not the wizard, then it would be usable by any wizard, much the same as with a unit with the mark of Tzeentch.

TheWarSmith
30-07-2006, 17:06
How about this arcane item out of the Bretonnia Army Book.

Sacrament of the Lady: "At the start of any Bretonnian Magic phase, the bearer may use the Sacrament. The model generates double its usual number of power dice, but may not cast any spells that turn. Each time the Sacramente are used, roll a dice. On a 1 the model has run of out wafers and after the turn the Sacrament cannot be used for the remainder of the game."

So since their are only 2 uses for this item, and one of them being miniscule

1)Sacrifice casting to generate extra dice for other casters
2)Sacrifice casting to dispel remains in play spells

With characters generating dice only usable by themselves, this item would now seem to be destroyed.

On the power familiar, i'd say that one goes into the "community pool" just like the 2 for coming to battle and for having marks of tzeentch.

DirtJumper
30-07-2006, 17:15
Well, by the rules, I guess that the sacrement is now unfortunatly pretty useless, as it is the wizard that is generating the dice. Unless they errata it so that it actually has a use in 7th ed, or the Bretonnian book gets a re-do (but really, how much of a loss is it, when's the last time you saw someone actually using it?)

Latro
30-07-2006, 17:15
In the Chaos book-
"The Familiar adds one dice to both blah blah blah"

So, that means it's open for anyone to use, correct?

The dice are added to the pool ... so yes, open for anyone.

Latro
30-07-2006, 17:20
How about this arcane item out of the Bretonnia Army Book.

Sacrament of the Lady: "At the start of any Bretonnian Magic phase, the bearer may use the Sacrament. The model generates double its usual number of power dice, but may not cast any spells that turn. Each time the Sacramente are used, roll a dice. On a 1 the model has run of out wafers and after the turn the Sacrament cannot be used for the remainder of the game."

So since their are only 2 uses for this item, and one of them being miniscule

1)Sacrifice casting to generate extra dice for other casters
2)Sacrifice casting to dispel remains in play spells

With characters generating dice only usable by themselves, this item would now seem to be destroyed.

On the power familiar, i'd say that one goes into the "community pool" just like the 2 for coming to battle and for having marks of tzeentch.

My guess would be this one will get an errata/clarification which makes the bearer of the item donate all the dice into the pool, usable for anybody.

... and even if there's no such errata, I still think there's only one obvious way how this item can be played (because the other way would be not playing it at all).