PDA

View Full Version : Why would anyone keep buying GW minis?

dodicula
30-07-2006, 19:25
I just put together and painted and used in a game, my first non gw army! Don't get me wrong we still played warhammer 6th ed. I just used miniatures made entirely by Rackham for Confrontation for a tzeentch mortals list with Mid-Nor as Maruaders and Black Paladins as Chaos Knights!

It was the first time I had arrayed them all together ranked up and such, and they just looked so much better than the gw models they were standing in for! And I wasn't the only one who noticed this! My hope is that 3 months from now, the people at the place I play (Not a GW store obviously) will be discussing the latest Rackham Releases, not GWs. They are just so obviously superior. And with GW's price raising, the Rackham ones are becoming a better and better deal! And with GW's latest batch of sculpts being somewhat of a sick joke (Possesed, Chaos, SPider Riders/Warlord, Orcs), I think its high time people woke up and started checking out the competition.

I've been going over the different races, and from what I can Tell there is an alternative for most of them in Either GW's,Renegade Miniatures or Gamezone Miniature's Ranges, namely:
Skaven, Lizardmen
Ogres-Still GW

Dwarves- Rackham

Chaos Dwarves-Still GW

Wood Elves- Rackham Daikkani, (and Cynwall to an extent)

High Elves- Rackham Alahan and Cynwall, Gamezones Elves

Dark Elves- Gamezones Dark Elves are simply Spectacular, Dirz would also work

Orcs and Goblins- Rackhams latest sculpts-Japanses Goblines and Mountain orcs are 10 times better then GW's stuff (though more expensive)

DOW Tileans- Renegade, Foundry

Brettonians- Gamezone

Empire- Gamezone

Chaos- Rackham (you have to search around, but mide nor, kelts make excellent maruaders, while several ranges have miniatures that could be chaos warriors/knights)

Undead- Rackham has fantastic undead

Tomb Kings- Gamezone

So, is anyone using minuatures outside GW and if not why?

Crube
30-07-2006, 19:36
Personally, No

Why? because the main places I play are GW, and Gw events.

As for Rackham being ' obviously superior' I would disagree strongly. Yes there are dodgy GW sculpts (although I happen to quite like the Spider riders) but there are also with Rackhams too.

As for prices, again, yes GW are getting pricey, but whenever I've seen Rackham stuff for sale, there's only a pound or 2 in it (say £27 Rackham, £30 GW...

Not enough for me to change.

I also find it a lot easier as the GW units are made for the GW game. Easier to figure out what's what, and you dont have to mess around trying to find a 'best fit' for a particular troop type...or maybe I'm just lazy... ;)

TheWarSmith
30-07-2006, 19:45
Gee, maybe people use GW minis cause they're not ALL metal. Using an entire rackham army would look beautiful, but it'd be VERY expensive

Luke
30-07-2006, 20:06
Maybe, but using an entire foundry or front rank army would only cost 90p a figure.

ekxw
30-07-2006, 20:24
not at all i use gamezone dwarfs and are way more cheap than gw stuf and all in metal i prefer to pay 6.75 for 3 hammerers that look incredible to buy 3 for 10 that have no detail at all.

and for the chaos its way better the hound that gw ones 3 for 6.75 its better than 3 for 10

i prefer rackham miniatures for heroes my runesmith and chaos lord on foot are rackham.

ebolatheripe
30-07-2006, 20:37
I love Rackham's minis and Agree with you that they are better sculpts in general. My only problem with them is they are all metal and I like to personalize my minis by converting them. A lot harder to do with metal.

If I had a large regular gaming group that I played with, I might have considered it but I don't so I have to make my models WYSIWYG.

dodicula
30-07-2006, 20:42
As far as WYSIWYG I think its in the EYE of the beholder, most GW chaos models are for khorne, Undivided or nurgle (Knights, Warrior, bestigors...) I think some of the rackham models, make better chaos warriors (and more obvious chaos warriors) for tzeentch or slaneesh than GWs.

The conversion thing is true, althoug sometimes Rackhams joints are so frail, that conversion is quite easy :-) (look at most of the Acheron range for instance!)

unheilig
30-07-2006, 20:43
i dont care what minis people use, as long as i can tell what troop type it is supposed to be.

but GW minis are still the cheapest way to build an army. period. and except for a few weak ones, are still gorgeous minis. and plastic is way preferable to metal. less paint chipping, easier to convert, etc.

of course, an entire empire army done out of foundry figures would make me squeal with glee.

Luke
30-07-2006, 20:48
Dont get me wrong, the Rackham drune range would make a fantastic chaos army! But pound-for-point they would be more expensive. Unless you just go for characters.

gorenut
30-07-2006, 20:55
Another thing with Confrontation models is that they are on a slightly larger scale than Warhammer. I really don't mind using a few here and there for characters or some special unit, but it kinda looks out of place for a whole army.

Plus some of the armies you suggested to use alternative minis actually have fantastic plastics from GW and I would never consider constructing an army otherwise (specifically Dwarfs).

Sandlemad
30-07-2006, 20:59
Personally, I just don't care much for the rackham style. They've some nice characters and I intend to paint the odd one up just for fun (there's a deadly mushroom sorceror...), but I don't like the look on troops and the like.

Foundry now get my big thumbs up. Love their models.

dodicula
30-07-2006, 21:18
Agree with you on dwarves

Khaane
30-07-2006, 23:01
I have a vast amount of GW minis but with a lack of stuff being release for my chosen army (Dark Elves) I have bolstered my army with various other companies stuff.

Milgram
30-07-2006, 23:08
may be you get great 500-1000 points armies with rackham models. but if you go for a o&g army, it will look terrible if you're going with confrontation models. I like plastic armies because they let you position units to look 'normal' and not like every model has some special rules. the rackham minis may be good sculptured, but they are not made for warhammer style regiments.

btw: do you remember the harlequin models? I had some skaven from them... they were just crap... you were able to bend 2.5mm spears like nothing. the gw stuff has definitely a good material quality.

dodicula
30-07-2006, 23:48
I respectfully beg to differ on the Gobbo armies
as their Ashigura
http://www.rackham-store.com/boutique_us/fiche_produit.cfm?type=467&ref=FRGBEM01&code_lg=lg_us&pag=1&num=12&tri=0&marq=0

Samura
http://www.rackham-store.com/boutique_us/liste_produits.cfm?type=687&code_lg=lg_us&num=12

and Ninja
http://www.rackham-store.com/boutique_us/liste_produits.cfm?type=609&code_lg=lg_us&num=12
Goblins are fantastic

The Pirate Goblin Range is also Very Nice

, I do agree it would prohibitavley expensive to build all goblins though, which is why I am using Night Goblins along with these, and they blend better then you might think!

Crazy Harborc
31-07-2006, 00:46
I've used non-GW minies for all the Elves, Empire and DoW (humies only) and Britonnians for a LONG time. I normally stick to GW's Orcs and Gobbo minies for my greenies armies.

I've seen some/most(?) of the Rackham offerings. Price wise they are darn close to GW's price level.

shadowprince
31-07-2006, 00:59
Exactly places I play are my local GW store, and GW tournaments non of which allow non GW models.

NakedFisherman
31-07-2006, 01:02
I can think of a few reasons:

- My opponents don't have to play a guessing game when they want to play a wargame.
- Their models are often out of proportion and scale and don't fit the Warhammer setting that I enjoy immensely.
- Their distribution in the US is rather spotty.
- Their models are not cheaper.
- Their models contain lead.
- I can't enter official events with their models.
- Their bases are different (and in my opinion, inferior).

That's just off the top of my head...

gorenut
31-07-2006, 01:30
Wow, didn't realize their models contained lead. Having a 3k army of em in Warhammer would no doubt result in a lot of lead.

PS: Haha, what happened to your avatar? I actually liked your Urien one since I used to play SF3, then I noticed you had some animated one that I'm sure many others noticed for obvious reasons.

NakedFisherman
31-07-2006, 02:36
PS: Haha, what happened to your avatar? I actually liked your Urien one since I used to play SF3, then I noticed you had some animated one that I'm sure many others noticed for obvious reasons.

Apparantly bouncing breasts are not PG-13. News to me, since I've seen full-frontal nudity in PG-13 before. I'm working on a new one now, though. :p

NaT
31-07-2006, 03:49
I've been looking around the Rackham website and I have to say I'm very impressed. I don't know about using them to replace a whole army, but i can definatly see myself using a mini or 2 for Characters/Champions.

The Wolfen Of Yllia so damn badass.

Seth the Dark
31-07-2006, 04:25
Yea those Rackham miniatures look really good but i don't know any French. Reaper has pretty good minis too and they are cheap as well.

n00bLord
31-07-2006, 06:08
As to the threads original question. Why would any one buy Reaper or Rackham miniatures?

Luke
31-07-2006, 08:21
Probably because not everyone is a drooling GW fanboy. I perosnally think Rackham minis are far better than GW. Both in terms of sculpt AND price (well they are more worth the price)

That is why someone would buy Rackham.

And why anyone would buy Empire or Bretonnian stuff when Foundry, gripping beast, old glory and front rank rank (amongst many many others) produce equally good medieval human models at a mere fraction of the cost is beyond me.

gorenut
31-07-2006, 08:28
Probably because not everyone is a drooling GW fanboy. I perosnally think Rackham minis are far better than GW. Both in terms of sculpt AND price (well they are more worth the price)

That is why someone would buy Rackham.

And why anyone would buy Empire or Bretonnian stuff when Foundry, gripping beast, old glory and front rank rank (amongst many many others) produce equally good medieval human models at a mere fraction of the cost is beyond me.

I can't speak for Empire (since I converted most my army) but I think Brets have fine plastics. I can easily see why people would purchase GW Brets.
A) Convenience
B) Cause they have good plastics

Jedi152
31-07-2006, 08:44
I'm not a fan of Rackham, i see them as cartoony and overdone, even more so than GW.

The only alternative manufacturers i'd use would be Foundry, Heresy and Spyglass, but i only play at GW, so that's put a stop to that.

Luke
31-07-2006, 09:13
Seriously, clicky for teh winnest (http://www.grippingbeast.com/product.php?ItemID=844) how nice are these. Gripping beast. You knows it makes sense :D

Not comparable to any WHFB army but you get the idea.

THey actually sell interlocking shieldwall figures too!

asura
31-07-2006, 09:15
Oo the war between Rackham/GW comes back !!!
First, Rackham minis are not looking "cartoony"...but at this moment I prefear some GW minis, but not the plastic minis. Plastic minis are only good for the game, but I really prefear metal for the painting and collecting. Its really better metal, and I hope that GW will keep metal minis instead of making "all plastic" (plastic is only good for basic units).

Luke
31-07-2006, 09:32
Actually I would prefer if GW made all its models in plastic. They would certainly be more durable and hardwearing in game. And armies would be far lighter to carry around. Les breakages etc.

Gorbad Ironclaw
31-07-2006, 09:39
Seriously, clicky for teh winnest (http://www.grippingbeast.com/product.php?ItemID=844) how nice are these. Gripping beast. You knows it makes sense :D

Not comparable to any WHFB army but you get the idea.

THey actually sell interlocking shieldwall figures too!

Having actually owned a Viking army from GB, yes they are nice. However, they are also in a different scale than Warhammer models, and looks quite tiny compared to them. Not to mention, they have a completly different style and feel to them, and might not be what people are looking for.

Perfect models for playing Ancient, possibly not for Warhammer. But in the end, it all comes down to peoples individual taste.

There were some goblins linked earlier that I find quite horrible, and would never use for an army. Other people likes them. On the other hand, I rather like the undead range from confrontation, however, they wouldn't fit into my own VC army at all.

*shrug* Who cares what models other people use. As long as it's not confusing on the table I really don't care.

shadowprince
31-07-2006, 09:50
The only models I really like more are Reaver and the old chainmail ones.

asura
31-07-2006, 10:51
Actually I would prefer if GW made all its models in plastic. They would certainly be more durable and hardwearing in game. And armies would be far lighter to carry around. Les breakages etc.
I hope no !!! It would be a big waste to make all the minis in plastic !!! The plastic is maybe good for some units but I hope they will keep metal for special and rare units, AND for the special characters and other characters !!!

Kriegsherr
31-07-2006, 10:59
why not? Because, like it or not, I still think GW minis are way above Rackham or Reaper minis.

All other producers had one or two minis I really liked... but none enough for a whole army, what GW accomplishes with ease with most new armybooks and dexes.

I use some Reaper minis for the undeads (for the simple matter of fact that GW didn't produced enough characters or the vampires look butugly), and started to use some iron kingdom and warmachine minis for 40k cult armies. But the only minis I'm really fond of besides GW are the ones from Privateer Press. Rackhams strange comic style and their obscene female proportions just won't do for me.

sparky
31-07-2006, 11:03
Rackham make the goofiest and most expensive miniatures around.

Luke
31-07-2006, 11:37
Subjective. Suggest some examples and try and convince me otherwise.

Rackham make it their mission to produce "works of art" primarily. Game system comes secondary according to their "blurb". And I feel that is pretty true. Their higher lead content allows their models to include more detail.

MacVurrich
31-07-2006, 11:56
In GW Events I use GW models, in Club, GCN and other Events I use which every set of model looks best to my Eye.

And I know a number of GW HQ'ers do the same

Ohman
31-07-2006, 12:07
Never really understood why some people find it interesting to discuss different taste. Some people like GW, some people hate them, others love Renegade and others hate Rackham etc....

Discussing GW vs Rackham is a lot like discussing your favorite color. I'm never going to convince someone that the color blue is superior to the color green, yet heated arguments can still arise over what miniatures look the best.

So the answer to "Why would anyone keep buying GW minis?" is of course because they like them. Same reason I keep buying brown shirts, I like them and no one ever tries to persuade me into buying yellow ones because they are "superior".

gjnoronh
31-07-2006, 13:34
"why would anyone keep buying GW?"

Huge product line, high quality posable plastics plastics around 2 dollars a miniature, metals at around 4 dollars for base troops and some impressive "character models" for more.

I think there are some other excellent miniature lines some of which that offer lowa price metal ORor high quality metal but IMO there isn't someone who offers you that total package of pricing (including plastics), and quality. Seriously I'd put the quality of GW plastics against some of the "super cheap" metal producers such as Old Glory (which are undoubtedly quite cheap!)

Gary

Side by side comparisons (not for confrontation. . .)
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39518&page=3

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38924&page=15

Luke
31-07-2006, 13:57
I would place foundry, front rank and gripping beast ahead of GW in terms of sculpt quality (ok maybe not foundry, but they do knowck out hundreds of ranges), casting quality, value for money and customer service.

Sleazy
31-07-2006, 14:11
best thing to do is cherry pick (unless you game at official GW stores/events).

My 40k/WFB armys tend to be centred aroung GW models but with whatever cool minis catch my eye added.

My WFB has some great minis from Rackham (centaurs, champions) and Heresy (2 Netherlords,Fallen One, Jordaghn, Dark Cardinal, Gar-sher) and looks all the cooler for it with these unusual characters leading units of plastic beastmen, marauders and chaos warriors.

The only GW army using all non GW figs is my WIP IG army, most of the troops come from Urban Wars "Triad" range, giving me a Japanese themed force.

in the words of some old hair metal band (cant remember who) "if it feels good..... do it!"

ekxw
31-07-2006, 15:06
uhmm i only buy gw from second hand so expensive to my pocket.

but look i have finished my dwarf army buying only second hand or gamezone so its posible to do soyou can do it look mi hammerers i hate gw ones so old and wihtout detail for my taste.

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/1402/martilladores2xn3.jpg
http://img279.imageshack.us/img279/3385/martilladoresmk5.jpg

and this unit cost 33.75 for 15 miniatures so you can buy good stuff for much less than gw can offer. but if you want to buy their stuff from first hand do it

gjnoronh
31-07-2006, 17:43
Of course GW does sell their dwarf long beards boxed set for 36 dollars for 16 models. ;)

http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=List_Models&code=301705&orignav=300976&ParentID=256104&GameNav=13

Archaon
31-07-2006, 18:34
The advantage of GW models is their high recognition factors.. everybody knows how a GW Chaos Warrior looks, that these are Lizardmen Temple Guard etc.

There have been companies which closely followed GW prodcuts (the late Harlequin company wasone of those) and if you weren't that anal you could save quite a few bucks.

When i still had my Chaos Army i had about 60 Marauders from Harlequin.. full metal, some cheap as hell and some were just awesome miniatures (the GW metal Marauders just plain sucked).

Currently i have a Hydra from Ral Partha or Grenadier or some other company (can't really remember) and to me it is way superior to the GW one. It is far bulkier, doesn't have these overlong necks and it weighs quite a bit. Only had to buy the Beastmasters from GW.

Rackham however can be hit and miss.. sure there are many beautiful miniatures in their lines but some of them i'd only use for the display case since they break so easily.

Some, especially the human sized, have so weak joints or so small parts that it's a nightmare to assemble them yet alone keep them from breaking.
Case in point.. i tried to use some Mid Nor Dwarf Gargoyles for my Chaos Gargoyles.
Awesome minis but their wings had such a little joint it was almost impossible to glue them on and then only a little bit of pressure and they would come off again.
I use good army transport cases and am willing to pay quite a bit to transport them safely but these little buggers kept breaking.

This is not a problem with their bigger models or those that don't need assembly but others are a real hassle.

As to the prices.. if you don't need the latest models you can save quite a few bucks by buying from the grab box in your LGS (mine has one with old boxes and blisters) or go Ebay.. prices are way down.

I thought about an Ogre Army substituted wholly with Rackham Wolven but i currently don't have the money nor the time.

patataman
31-07-2006, 19:20
and for skaven.... ¬¬ xd

Mad Doc Grotsnik
31-07-2006, 19:32
I just put together and painted and used in a game, my first non gw army! Don't get me wrong we still played warhammer 6th ed. I just used miniatures made entirely by Rackham for Confrontation for a tzeentch mortals list with Mid-Nor as Maruaders and Black Paladins as Chaos Knights!

It was the first time I had arrayed them all together ranked up and such, and they just looked so much better than the gw models they were standing in for! And I wasn't the only one who noticed this! My hope is that 3 months from now, the people at the place I play (Not a GW store obviously) will be discussing the latest Rackham Releases, not GWs. They are just so obviously superior. And with GW's price raising, the Rackham ones are becoming a better and better deal! And with GW's latest batch of sculpts being somewhat of a sick joke (Possesed, Chaos, SPider Riders/Warlord, Orcs), I think its high time people woke up and started checking out the competition.

I've been going over the different races, and from what I can Tell there is an alternative for most of them in Either GW's,Renegade Miniatures or Gamezone Miniature's Ranges, namely:
Skaven, Lizardmen
Ogres-Still GW

Dwarves- Rackham

Chaos Dwarves-Still GW

Wood Elves- Rackham Daikkani, (and Cynwall to an extent)

High Elves- Rackham Alahan and Cynwall, Gamezones Elves

Dark Elves- Gamezones Dark Elves are simply Spectacular, Dirz would also work

Orcs and Goblins- Rackhams latest sculpts-Japanses Goblines and Mountain orcs are 10 times better then GW's stuff (though more expensive)

DOW Tileans- Renegade, Foundry

Brettonians- Gamezone

Empire- Gamezone

Chaos- Rackham (you have to search around, but mide nor, kelts make excellent maruaders, while several ranges have miniatures that could be chaos warriors/knights)

Undead- Rackham has fantastic undead

Tomb Kings- Gamezone

So, is anyone using minuatures outside GW and if not why?

You try finding them. Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but I won't buy models online, as until I have seen them in the flesh/in the blister, I have no idea of the actual item.

Rackham do indeed produce gorgeous models, but to my mind, they simply aren't that well suited to Game Play. Why? Well, first of all, they are all metal. Plastic Regiments are cheaper, and have lots of options. Next up, their elves and humans are far, far too scrawny to stand up well to the rigours of gameplay.

Games Workshop and Rackham could be compared thus.

GW = Ford. Fuctional, practical products.

Rackham = Caterham Cars. Gorgeous home build kits, excellent price for what you get, yet utterly impractical for day to day life.

Horses for courses mate.

wallacer
01-08-2006, 03:18
Price wise they are darn close to GW's price level.

No they are not. Rackham will give you free postage if you order over a certain amount. The miniatures may be comparable in prices, but when you factor in postage a Rackham order works out significantly cheaper than a GW order.
And Rackham are going to be making plastic soon :cool:

And as for them being impractical for gameply. wtf??
I use Rackham miniatures all the time in tabletop games. I built a whole Grave Guard unit out of black paladins:
http://www.chchwargaming.org.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?t=272&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

they look fine, they rank up well, and they have never been damaged.

Grand Warlord
01-08-2006, 13:10
No they are not. Rackham will give you free postage if you order over a certain amount.

So will GW, over 100.00 (according to the US Site)

I stick with GW models because my main venues are GTs (or whatever the heck they are called) and RTTs.

sephiroth87
01-08-2006, 22:45
I'm an equal opportunity player. I use figs in my army from Rackam, Reaper, GW, Void, Dark Ages, Crucible, Ral Partha, and from God knows where else. I've made a habit of finding usable figs in the bargain bin that would work with my army. I've played in several different GW stores with the army and have never heard a bad word about it. Of course, I don't start screaming "MY ARMY DIDN'T COMPLETELY COME FROM YOUR PRODUCT LINE!!!!" when I start moving my stuff, either. But gw employees have looked at the army, asked where it came from, and I've told them. But they didn't care, because I wasn't an ******* about it.

I like GW, but other companies make some cool stuff, too.

Commissar von Toussaint
02-08-2006, 22:59
I like the LOTR stuff. I have an orc army made up of them.

Crazy Harborc
03-08-2006, 01:12
When I'm playing at the GW store....I leave the non-GW stuff at home.:angel: I do agree that a company should be allowed to restrict whos brands are on their tables, in their store at events they are running.

n00bLord
03-08-2006, 02:47
Crazy is right. GW doesn't want other companies being advertised in their own shops. You wouldn't want your competition advertising their stuff to your customers would you? I find my plastic models survive falls better than metal ones. And don't tend to break your toes when droppped either.

Luke
03-08-2006, 10:00
My motor function isnt the greatest but I never actually dropped one of my minis before. In fact in 11 years the only person I saw who dropped a mini was one kid a few years back who fumbled my high elf mage off the table and broke its sword. And it didnt land on anyone's toes. Not that 2 grams of metal would hurt even through a trainer (let alone a boot)

Seriously, take better care of your modles and they will last a lifetime (well untill the glue degrades :rolleyes:)

Wraithbored
03-08-2006, 12:36
I am doing the same, example I use Wolfen to represent Ogres and Alahan for my High Elves. But it's not that I hate GW's stuff I just really like the high detail of what Rackham produces, and the fact that I play with my friends and at non GW stores and such I can do whateve I want.

gjnoronh
03-08-2006, 13:00
I'm fairly coordinated but over the years I've had some models hit the floor.

I once saw a Golden Daemon winner taking a model to a painting competition slip on ice and SHATTER his entry for that competition (up goes the genestealer patriarch. . . down goes the genestealer patriarch. . . splat there go bits of lead all over the place.)

SuperBeast
03-08-2006, 13:28
..because they do.

From time to time, I get people ranting at me about 'omfglookathotminiornotnewrackhamswowzors!'.
Rackham produce very good, fine sculpts. But they're just not to mine, and a lot of others', taste. Too slender, too graceful. Everything's gaunt and swirling and.. well, yeah. I want an army of cockney ragamuffins, as opposed to an army of French dukes. Others will disagree.

As for Rackham doing plastics... !!roflcoptorz!!!shifteleven!
Watch the quality of their models come flying down if they do this.
You only have to look at the overall quality difference between GW plastics and GW metals to see that Rackham will suffer. Especially as GW's plastics kit is all in-house and pretty much cutting edge, whereas I'll put money on Rackham outsourcing theirs.

Jim
04-08-2006, 15:54
someone mentioned mongoose do good models>>>i was curious so i checked their website>>>there is some good stuff there but the first picture i saw was of a duck warband!!!seriously though ducks???!!!

hilarious>>>but maybe not what im looking for in a wargame

Razhem
04-08-2006, 20:09
This is rackham plastic

http://www.farabi.it/LegioPictorum/viewtopic.php?t=1678
(the one to the rigth)

http://en-forum.confrontation.fr/viewtopic.php?t=23535&start=20
(scrolling down a little)

n00bLord
04-08-2006, 20:40
That mini looks a tad goofy. The whole thing doesn't seem to flow together with the body and the arms and legs.

It reminded me of a tyranid in a blender if anything. The color scheme doesn't do it any justice either.

TimmyMWD
04-08-2006, 23:13
i dont care what minis people use, as long as i can tell what troop type it is supposed to be.

but GW minis are still the cheapest way to build an army. period. and except for a few weak ones, are still gorgeous minis. and plastic is way preferable to metal. less paint chipping, easier to convert, etc.

of course, an entire empire army done out of foundry figures would make me squeal with glee.

Yeah if you listen to some of the people on the net then pet dogs could crap out models better than GW -- GW models are still pelnty fine for gaming (and plus you need them for tournies :) )

DeathMasterSnikch
05-08-2006, 03:05
I buy Gw minis because I play warhammer...When i started we didnt have that titnernet thing so GW was the only place I could get em from. Never had any reason to change. The prices have risen (looking through a white dwarf earlier where plastic regiements were £12 :p) but so has the quality (mostly).

Edit: The plastic Tyranid-things remind me so much of Angels or EVAs

n00bLord
05-08-2006, 03:42
Plus I love my half-rats quarter-duck quarter-wolf looking Skaven. I know easy ways to get models cheap like any one else does. Were not all conformist to these new kids in town! (Rackham, Warmachine....)

DeathMasterSnikch
05-08-2006, 05:13
Cheapest way is to just stick bodies and legs pointing up in the air on bases. Claim they represent burrowing skaven coming up and down :) 40 per box set woohoo! and you could always use the spare heads and arms...well over 80 that way. *visions of arms glued to bases* -shudder- The ultimate cheapo army

Ork
05-08-2006, 18:25
The main reason I could never try is this because the thing I look foward to most is playing in Tournis. Last time I checked only GW models were allowed at the GT's :/

-Eli

Gorog Irongut
05-08-2006, 21:00
Now admittedly, I have enough models from GW to never need to worry about going to a GT. But once I hit that benchmark, I tend towards only buying a model if it's downright gorgeous. GW unfortunately is not at the top with the most gorgeous models (it certainly does some good ones like the latest Louen, etc.). I think first place would go to Ilyad Games. Now that's how a real minotaur is supposed to look. I had to stop myself from uploading more pics.

Some may be scared of it because it's resin. I look at it as an opportunity to expand my horizons. There are models as equally gorgeous out there, from Dark Ages to Olleys Armies (that's how dwarf citizenry should look like, especially the womenfolk).

p.s. In the plastic vs metal debate. I come out on the metal side. An army doesn't feel real to me unless it's got heft. Add the fact that they hold detail and paint better (in my opinion) and plastic has little use for me. Especially since I got my dremel.