PDA

View Full Version : What caused the "springing" of Chaos Backpacks?

Lostanddamned
30-07-2006, 20:54
If you look on this page it shows a "before and after" the heresy picture of the black Legion/Sons Of Horus/Luna Wolves.

What about treachery caused the backpacks ports to spring outwards like buzz lightyears wings?

Link removed by the Warseer Inquistion

Lostanddamned please do not post links to sites breaking GW IP.

Before (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99380101004&orignav=9)
After (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99390102003&orignav=9)

TheSonOfAbbadon
30-07-2006, 21:07
What caused that horn to grow on his right shoulder pad?

Chaos.

nurgleman
30-07-2006, 21:07
Maybe they started worshipping slaanesh and are compensating for something? anyways that is a great site.

Gen_eV
31-07-2006, 02:38
What caused that horn to grow on his right shoulder pad?
Chaos.

Yeah, but the consistency of the backpack modification seems rather strange. I always assumed it was a Pre-heresy variant that was later made into a more compact form by the Imperium, thus affecting only the loyalist chapters.

Apparently not, it seems.

Delicious Soy
31-07-2006, 02:49
Or the Traitor legions simply reverted to older ones over reliability issues. Or GW wanted more space for spikybits

FalseAngel
01-08-2006, 04:27
Maybe the Night Lords started the fad to cause FEAR and it caught on at a traitor legion reunion shortly after they moved into the Eye of Terror. :rolleyes:

Lord of ???
01-08-2006, 09:29
Or we can just say that they have a unique fashion sense

Skulls and bits of your enemy is taken by the imperium aswell.

Promethius
01-08-2006, 10:49
I think it was intended as a way to ensure that funding was secured for the new corridor widening scheme on Black Legion spacecraft. Obviously they were feeling cramped before, and this way personal space is secured. Those evil chaos marines.

Ultramar13
01-08-2006, 13:03
Maby the altered them themselves so they were more intimidating making themselves look scary to normal citizens of the imperium, personaly i think its extra room to hang coats :)

Simsandwich
01-08-2006, 13:55
I posted that site and got warned for breaking GWs IP.

MrLiy
01-08-2006, 18:08
well I always wondered if they were ventilation ports, why do the extensions look solid!!!!

Dat Wildboy
02-08-2006, 20:21
with less techmarines etc. i think it would make backpack and armour/black carapace mechanics to be accessed easier. there would be less skill putting it back together, and quicker to see if any 'improvements' should be made.

it could leave a storage space to stack personal objects like a phial of your favourite diseases, drug stash, favourite skull, magic tome, family photo, extra spiky bitz etc.

scwolf
06-08-2006, 07:10
What about treachery caused the backpacks ports to spring outwards like buzz lightyears wings?

One word. Daemonettes.

Khaine's Messenger
06-08-2006, 07:35
The springing of Chaos backpacks is one of those little aesthetic "quirks"...there's little evidence for the swap-over from the background itself, just the simple fact that it's there on the table top and in the art. This would suggest that the design and maintenance of Chaos equipment has trended towards the development of backpacks that look like this...and for all we know, the changes are purely cosmetic (with functional side-effects, of course). It's not for lack of technical advisors...it's more that this is the general pattern (one of the pitter-patter ironies of Chaos). That it shows up on most/all Chaos Marines on the table top no matter what their "origins" is unfortunate, but that's the way things are....

krio
06-08-2006, 10:20
Cause it looks cool

Wintermute
06-08-2006, 15:04
May I remind everyone, asking for copyrighted material to be posted on WarSeer or for such material or links to it to be supplied via pm or email is a breach of forum rules.

If it occurs again on this thread I will do more than delete posts.

Wintermute
The WarSeer Inquisition

ArtificerArmour
06-08-2006, 15:59
Cause it looks cool

To further expand your post :p I agree.

Basically it was a way to further differentiate chaos and loyalist space marines from each other by the designer.

The change is clearly just superficial.

LordXannazic
07-08-2006, 02:15
What about their treachery caused them to have spiky bits? Nothing, per se. The image of a Chaos Marine, however, is to cause fear and be hardcore, even if they aren't Night Lords. The Space Marines work like that too, but they have all the resources of the Imperium to be scary. Chaos has to be scary on their own. So forgive them a few random spikes, skulls, curly things, rictus masks and some cool looking Buzz Lightyear backpacky things.

Or, as has been said, they wanted to make the style look like what I just said and they needed something that wasn't too fundamental but is noticeable.