PDA

View Full Version : Can Eldar grow beards?

Shibboleth
31-07-2006, 16:53
I've never seen any Eldar with facial hair. :eyebrows:
I have noticed a few with little pharaoh style beard things on their helmets though...
...so maybe they can, but think it's ugly?

darknar
31-07-2006, 16:59
i dont see why they cant have facial heir. i would say some of the more pirate eldar may enjoy having a mostash

Hellebore
31-07-2006, 17:19
Being aliens who don't possess hair in the same way we as mammals do, I don't see any reason for it.

For all we know their 'hair' is their sexual organ, or perhaps their lungs?

Analogous and homologous are not the same thing.

Hellebore

ThousandPlateaus
31-07-2006, 18:11
I'd always assumed that Eldar were some kind of advanced mammal - they have mammary glands after all (well, some of them).

But, yes, you're right - analogous and homologous are not the same thing.

Maybe I should invest in Xenology after all.

Loricatus
31-07-2006, 18:13
I vaguely remember seeing some old artwork depicting an eldar warrior of some sort with a five-o'clock shadow. Don't ask me where or even when I saw it... it's been a looooong time.

Rohgan
31-07-2006, 18:19
Well, none of the elves in LotR or Fantasy seem to have beards, but they do have eyebrows and stuff. Maybe it's just like the elves themselves, as in, takes millenia to grow? So they only need to shave once every Black Crusade, perhaps?

bertcom1
31-07-2006, 18:19
Eldar consider humans to be "hairy savages".

So, if Eldar can grow facial hair, I think they are likely to remove it, as some kind of statement, like being shaven clearly shows off the superior beauty of the Eldar form.

Same for hair on the rest of their body.

Minister
31-07-2006, 18:22
Myself, in the absence of any competing information, take the Space Elves view. Elves cannot grow facial hair, therefore neither can Eldar.

Kymar
31-07-2006, 18:23
I don't think I've ever seen an Eldar with a beard, or any GW elf for that matter with any facial hair. I think GW like to stick to the tradition where only humans & Dwarfs have beards, and Elves do not. Many fantasy settings go by this tradition, and the only genera I can think of it that differs would be when Elves are seen a Fairyfolk; aka Santa's Elves, sprites, gnomes.

But now if you'd like to make afew hairy Eldar, its fine by me, you just might get a few strange looks from other people.

So they only need to shave once every Black Crusade, perhaps lol, I like that line.

Kage2020
31-07-2006, 21:07
Fall-out from the Tolkien/standard elf approach, for me, i.e. they just don't generlaly grow facial hair even if they have abundant head-hair...

Kage

Minister
31-07-2006, 22:25
Thus another reason for the dwarf-elf hatred: all elves are girly girls because they can't grow a beard (even worse if in one of those settings where the female dwarves can grow beards)...

Kandarin
01-08-2006, 00:28
Eldar consider humans to be "hairy savages".

So, if Eldar can grow facial hair, I think they are likely to remove it, as some kind of statement, like being shaven clearly shows off the superior beauty of the Eldar form.

Same for hair on the rest of their body.

The Eldar predate humanity by millions of years. Their culture, and ideas of beauty, developed independant of humanity. Their opinion of a 'backwater race of ignorant savages' wouldn't change that.

They grow hair (on their heads at least) and their females have mammaries, so that seems to imply they're mammals. As a result, they should grow hair in lots of places. Perhaps their planned development resulted in less hair than humans, thus 'hairy savages', but it should still be there.

My guess? The Eldar we see in art and on the table don't grow beards because they are warriors, seers, and other spacefarers. Their way of life requires them to wear masks, helmets, and other assorted facial gear on a regular basis. Having facial hair gets in the way, plus it hurts if it gets caught, so Eldar on these paths shave (or suppress the growth by some other means) for purposes of convenience and safety. Eldar civilians, on the other hands, can and do grow facial hair.

bertcom1
01-08-2006, 00:49
The Eldar predate humanity by millions of years. Their culture, and ideas of beauty, developed independant of humanity. Their opinion of a 'backwater race of ignorant savages' wouldn't change that.

The Eldar we see in art and on the table don't grow beards because they are warriors, seers, and other spacefarers. Their way of life requires them to wear masks, helmets, and other assorted facial gear on a regular basis.

Eldar civilians, on the other hands, can and do grow facial hair.

All true, however,

Eldar culture and beauty ideals would be influenced by contact with the other races in the galaxy.

Humans are savage, and hairy. The Eldar who are out and about in the galaxy encountering and being disgusted by humans might feel slightly uncomfortable in the presence of unshaven civilian Eldar.

As a result, the Eldar culture might move even further to being completely hairless, on body and face, not just for reasons of comfort and utility.

At least for Craftworld Eldar. Dark Eldar might get off on the whole 'savage' idea, the perverse wanton wretches that they are.

So, I still think that Eldar do not have facial or body hair because of choice.

Kandarin
01-08-2006, 01:07
Humans are savage, and hairy. The Eldar who are out and about in the galaxy encountering and being disgusted by humans might feel slightly uncomfortable in the presence of unshaven civilian Eldar.

Ah, but who said anything about 'unshaven'? I just can't see Eldar with unkempt, shaggy beards or anything like that. Most likely they'd put great care and all manner of intricate and beautiful patterns into their facial hair, just like every other aspect of their appearance.

Hellebore
01-08-2006, 03:45

They grow hair (on their heads at least) and their females have mammaries, so that seems to imply they're mammals. As a result, they should grow hair in lots of places. Perhaps their planned development resulted in less hair than humans, thus 'hairy savages', but it should still be there.

My guess? The Eldar we see in art and on the table don't grow beards because they are warriors, seers, and other spacefarers. Their way of life requires them to wear masks, helmets, and other assorted facial gear on a regular basis. Having facial hair gets in the way, plus it hurts if it gets caught, so Eldar on these paths shave (or suppress the growth by some other means) for purposes of convenience and safety. Eldar civilians, on the other hands, can and do grow facial hair.

Do their females have mammaries? Are those 'sculptures' on the armour indication of breast tissue, or something else?

Eldar don't seem to have any subcutaneous fat deposits - and growing a foetus is high energy so perhaps they are simply fat stores for growing babies?

They would thus get smaller the further developed the foetus becomes.

Hellebore

Wraith
01-08-2006, 07:45
Advanced Eldar? They don't even have properly 'evolved' teeth rather they simply have primitive bony protrusions from their jaw 'bone'. :p

Gae'Mot
01-08-2006, 09:32
Eldar are more advanced than us humans. Noticed how our kind has lost a lot of hair during our evolution? En how selective that loss has been?
Maybe the eldar went a step further and lost facial hair. I definately consider them as mammals.

Red Corsair
02-08-2006, 19:21
Nope, no facial hair. It interfere's with their love of makeup.

Dat Wildboy
02-08-2006, 20:10
personally i think that eldar cannot grow facial hair or other body hair. it goes against the 'fantasy elves in space rule'.theorys about eldar being advanced mammals are obviously not right. eldar are alien, but have various mammal like similarities-

live births, ie no eggs
mammary glands
hair (on their heads) not forgetting eyebrows and eyelashes
nails on hands and feet.

each has an evolutionary advantage, so would be used.
eldar don't need body hair. they come from maiden world type environs, ie jungle, and hair is no use there. its warm enough. also, being old one creations thus created or genetically 'pruned' useless or detrimental traits would be removed.

i can however imagine a warlock with a small pointy goatee, or a heavily waxed moustache ala Salavadore Dahli.

no body hair and very few able to grow facial hair. pharoh beard wigs a fashion accessory. no body hair- i gets rid of the slim, sleek skintight look. and i like that look.

Twisted Ferret
02-08-2006, 20:22

I prefer this view.

Kymar
02-08-2006, 20:23
live births, ie no eggs
mammary glands

I always love bringing this up: Who says that Eldar don't lay eggs?

sulla
03-08-2006, 06:35
Well, I dunno about Eldar, but Abnett's Dark Elves can have facial
hair...

Lamhirh
03-08-2006, 09:28
Well if WF elves are also anything to go by, then yes some Eldar can grow facial hair. But most do not because they rather not or can't and when they can the facial hair is sparse (moreso than humans). Perhaps DE facial hair would be styled like this:

http://www.abcb.com/lodoss/lod_12.jpg

Whilst the rare Craftworlder would go more for something this:

http://www.mcfarland.co.uk/sarah/goatee.jpg

or

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b362/aimelek/cirdan.jpg

Gargamel
03-08-2006, 14:37
Maybe they have some Hairs in their Face, but they donīt grow (like the Facehair of Children) or they shave them because itīs too "primitive" in their opinion:confused: :confused: :confused:

Dspankdo
03-08-2006, 15:26
its not that lord of the rings elves cant grow beards its just that they have to be in the third stage of there life to get one

Sgt Biffo
03-08-2006, 16:04
I think the only beards you'll see sported by the Eldar is by their players.:D

P.S. I like the pic's forwarded @ Lamhith, but they seem to have an Ahmish look to them. Maybe throw in a few more moustache's there! With waxed ends.... and tying women to rail road tracks...

I'm really not doing any thing for my credibility here am I?:wtf:

Born Again
05-08-2006, 07:16
I'd always assumed that Eldar were some kind of advanced mammal - they have mammary glands after all (well, some of them).

All mammals have mammary glands, but differant hormones cause them to develop differantly at puberty.

Sorry, just like to clear things up :p

ThousandPlateaus
05-08-2006, 09:36
True! More pedant than me! Cor!

Rikkjourd
05-08-2006, 10:12
Am I the only one interested in what other body hair an eldar can grow than beards? *snicker*

Sgt Biffo
05-08-2006, 20:53
All mammals have mammary glands, but differant hormones cause them to develop differantly at puberty.

Sorry, just like to clear things up :p

Tit's-Hair...:confused: puberty lack of- fictious race.:wtf:

I think your going to need a razor to clear that one up mate...

Poseidal
05-08-2006, 21:21
Someone said this earlier, and I find it a big 'for' for them being capable of growing it: They have helmets that depict a beard, and are shaped in a bearded way.

However, I have never seen any eldar artwork or model with anything that really resembles a beard except one (and it's not really an Eldar): The Avatar (though it only just resembles a beard)

Maybe they can't grow beards, but their helmet is adorned with beards as an aspect of Khaine; case in point the Dire Avenger exarch, and the shape of most Eldar helmets with the bit at the bottom, a bit like the Avatar.

Skrittiblak
07-08-2006, 19:52
I always love bringing this up: Who says that Eldar don't lay eggs?

I think its safe to assume that anything so physiologically similar in appearance to the human race develops in a similar way. GW repeatedly stress that it is the eldar mind that is so different from the human one because their physical form is deceptively similar to ours.

Most human males can grow facial hair however only certain ethnic groups (coccasoid bone configuration types: europeans, arabs, indians) grow serious beards. African and East Asians tend to grow less facial hair.

I suspect that Eldar grow some facial hair. Possibly blonde and very fine; thus making it hard to detect on a miniature thats been reduced that much in scale. Perhaps they are poor beard growers.

In any case their seems to be little doubt that Eldar are humanoid mammals.

NakedFisherman
07-08-2006, 20:05
For what it's worth, Malus Darkblade's brother has a moustache. :chrome:

Born Again
17-08-2006, 09:25
Tit's-Hair...:confused: puberty lack of- fictious race.:wtf:

I think your going to need a razor to clear that one up mate...

Actually I was planning on using electrolosis to help prevent regrowth. :rolleyes:

Skrittiblak
17-08-2006, 09:53
For what it's worth, Malus Darkblade's brother has a moustache. :chrome:

I think this little gem is the proof we've been looking for! I still think elves are not naturally inclined to grow facial hair - like human females.

Of course there are exceptions to that rule. :shudder:

Storm_Hawk
17-08-2006, 20:16
I cant Imagine Eldar would have big shaggy beards, but im pretty sure some of them might sport a Goatee

cav da man
17-08-2006, 20:24
maybe they just see no reason to have beards.... maybe too much contact with the warp or certain energies makes growing beards harder.

jimbobodoll
17-08-2006, 20:28
Most human males can grow facial hair however only certain ethnic groups (coccasoid bone configuration types: europeans, arabs, indians) grow serious beards. African and East Asians tend to grow less facial hair.

:wtf: Dude... You are like seriously informed... I can't even pronounce, "Coccasoid". What the hell is a coccasoid bone configuration anyway? Sounds like something id find on a Tyranid rather than inside a person... :p

Ivan Stupidor
17-08-2006, 21:10
:wtf: Dude... You are like seriously informed... I can't even pronounce, "Coccasoid". What the hell is a coccasoid bone configuration anyway? Sounds like something id find on a Tyranid rather than inside a person... :p

Wikepedia knows all:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_race

malika
17-08-2006, 22:12
Race...such an odd concept, another social construct to seperate certain groups of humans. How would be define race, by colour of the skin, or the shapes of the noses?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race

But to get back to the Eldar...how would they view such divisions amongst their kind? And now Im not talking about cultural differences such as the Dark Eldar, Craftworlders and Exodites but truly "racial" differences such as the human and the abhumans, would there be "ab-Eldar"?

Skrittiblak
18-08-2006, 08:57
Caucasoid - my bad. Horrible mispelling. :(

What do I know about human ethnic groups anyway. I'm an Ork. WAAAAGH!

unwanted
19-08-2006, 12:28
Caucasoid - my bad. Horrible mispelling. :(

What do I know about human ethnic groups anyway. I'm an Ork. WAAAAGH!
Best way out of a mistake ever :D

As for Eldar beards, I just can't see it.

And what really made me think that they (and their Fantasy cousins) shouldn't have beards is the Malus Darkblade comic. Seeing it on his family (and on his father in particular) convinced me that beards are merely a tool for the artist behind the series to differentiate the different Elves.

Plus I just don't like beards on Eldar/Elves.

LordXaras
19-08-2006, 14:10
But to get back to the Eldar...how would they view such divisions amongst their kind? And now Im not talking about cultural differences such as the Dark Eldar, Craftworlders and Exodites but truly "racial" differences such as the human and the abhumans, would there be "ab-Eldar"?

There are no such divisions. Xenology makes it quite clear that the Eldar do not evolve or change genetically over generations. Within a family, certain traits may be enhanced, but this would depend on genopsychic stimuli (also in Xenology: Eldar genetic material seems to change depending on the mental concentration of an onlooker, something that probably plays a great part in things like warrior rites... and foetal development.).

malika
19-08-2006, 23:01
So the Eldar dont adapt to their enviroments? That just seems odd and very wrong to me. Humans who live in the Andes mountains for example have larger hearts to breath (etc) more effectively. People who live in colder areas have longer noses because the cold air needs to get warmer. The Eldar have no form of adaption like that?

LordXaras
20-08-2006, 08:14
The standards that apply to humans are insignificant in comparison to the utterly alien nature of a species like the Eldar. Where the humans were created as part of a planted eco-system on Earth - essentially being animals that happened to evolve, the Eldar were granted their perfect bodies by the gods themselves. To evolve would nearly be blasphemy in the eyes of an Eldar. In the very few circumstances where their extremely well-designed (and highly adaptable) bodies are unable to cope with an environment, they have - or, at least, had - the power and technology to adapt the environment.

malika
20-08-2006, 11:39
Yes they have the technology later on to adapt their enviroment, but before that capability they would have pretty much sucked on all those other worlds with different enviroments. Also I assume that the Eldar were uplifted by the Old Ones, so basicly their evolution got upgraded in contrary to the idea that they were built from scratch by the Old Ones.

Kage2020
20-08-2006, 12:31
So the Eldar dont adapt to their enviroments? That just seems odd and very wrong to me. Humans who live in the Andes mountains for example have larger hearts to breath (etc) more effectively. People who live in colder areas have longer noses because the cold air needs to get warmer. The Eldar have no form of adaption like that?
And Mayans do not grow facial hair...

Kage

malika
20-08-2006, 12:47
Would this mean that Eldar who live in really cold climates have the possibility of facial hair or longer noses?

LordXaras
20-08-2006, 13:41
Such change would be an effect of adaptation through several generations, and since that does not apply to the Eldar, I say a definite no. Also take into account that Eldar bodies are most probably riddled with body-heat regulators (speculated in Xenology) it can be assumed that those are of a highly efficient sort, and that an Eldar individual thus can tailor his body heat to suit the surrounding temperature.

The fact that two dead Eldar separated by tens of millennia show no differences nods to something much more advanced than "simple" rapid evolution from the Old Ones. What that might be I do not know, but it is evident that the Eldar are probably the pinnacle of the Old Ones' genetic technology (possibly challenged by the Orks in a way), and while you might argue that an advanced creature should be able to adapt, I say that a perfect creature is already suited to all environments.

Kage2020
20-08-2006, 13:52
While I would find Xenology to be about as useful as a napkin in a hurricane, I would have to agree with LordXaras.

Kage

Warp_touched
21-08-2006, 11:24
Ugh, if they don't have facial hair, I hope they still have hair where it counts. Even though I don't...

Farseer Jesus
23-08-2006, 00:12
I think eldar grow facial hair for one reason because eldar are ******* awesome so they can do what ever they want when ever they want.
El dar
But seriously why would you keep facial hair if you in a battle it could turn out to go against you

Gargamel
23-08-2006, 14:36
Got a question: How?

Kage2020
23-08-2006, 21:16
I forget the name of the film, but there's an awful Golden Harvest-esque kung fu film in which the master has eyebrows and a beard that he can use in combat. They're almost like limbs! They are, however, used to capture him, IIRC.

Kage

Karasu
24-08-2006, 11:00
I forget the name of the film, but there's an awful Golden Harvest-esque kung fu film in which the master has eyebrows and a beard that he can use in combat. They're almost like limbs! They are, however, used to capture him, IIRC.

Kage

Zu Warriors from the Magic Mountain. And I believe the character in question was played by none other than Sammo.

Hmm, as for bearded Eldar, my opinion is it's possible but they choose not to, probably for practical reasons, like wearing full-head helmets all the time.

Someone mentioned never having heard of bearded elves in any setting. Can I propose Shadowrun (and Earthdawn, although it's more or less the same setting) as being a source of bearded elves.

Farseer Karasu
Craftworld Modrenar

Skrittiblak
24-08-2006, 21:31
Ugh, if they don't have facial hair, I hope they still have hair where it counts.

Why would you hope for that! You're totally ruining the mystique of eldar women for me!

Pootleflump
25-08-2006, 14:14
All Banshees sport Brazilians! I thought everybody knew that?

giner
25-08-2006, 14:23
Not sure about craftworld Eldar, but Dark Eldar definatly can otherwise they couldn't have villianous moustaches

cav da man
26-08-2006, 18:25
Not sure about craftworld Eldar, but Dark Eldar definatly can otherwise they couldn't have villianous moustaches
while theyre at it why dont they get an extra fluffy extra evil space cat and a high backed spinny chair!

Dooks Dizzo
26-08-2006, 18:52
Beards don't grow in space.

Philip S
26-08-2006, 19:15
Mammals? Nah, Eldar are avian like aliens, there hair is similar to Vibrissae;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibrissae
Like a cats whisker only more like a feather and form plumage. Helps in balance and for attracting a mate.

The lay eggs in pairs, often called 'spuds' and keep them in their shirt pockets.

Philip

Hellebore
27-08-2006, 01:23
Mammals? Nah, Eldar are avian like aliens, there hair is similar to Vibrissae;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibrissae
Like a cats whisker only more like a feather and form plumage. Helps in balance and for attracting a mate.

The lay eggs in pairs, often called 'spuds' and keep them in their shirt pockets.

Philip

Not only that, they also possess a derived hydrostatic skeleton: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrostatic_skeleton

And a nervous system constructed of wraithbone filaments allowing their soul to traverse their entire body enabling extremely fast reaction time.

The hair is of course a crystaline psychoplastic, used as a heat disipator (high surface area increases effectiveness).

The fingers are long and naturally tapering, and do not possess and form of fingernail.

Hellebore

Iuris
28-08-2006, 18:17
OK, I now invoke the rule of cool:

Under certain circumstances, an Eldar villain woild need a goatee to achieve full villain-potential. In such a circumstance, a beard would be cool.

Therefore, Eldar can grow facial hair.

Why else all those beards on their minis ;)

Starscream1138
08-09-2006, 00:26
I think if the Eldar wanted beards then they would grow them out of Wraithbone just to be different.

Kage2020
08-09-2006, 02:50
Oh dear. The dire Xenology combined with Philip's "True Eldar" and hellebores Wraithpunks (;)). I don't think that my head can stand it! ;)

Kage

Hellebore
08-09-2006, 03:04
Oh dear. The dire Xenology combined with Philip's "True Eldar" and hellebores Wraithpunks (;)). I don't think that my head can stand it! ;)

Kage

Oh noes! Your head, she explodes!!:cool:

Hellebore

Kage2020
08-09-2006, 03:09
I'll let you know that it was very painful. It rated 8 on the pain scale, just behind "Broken Femur" and "Giving Birth". ;)

Kage

Skrittiblak
08-09-2006, 09:40
Eldar are not avian aliens. They have boobies. :D

Kage2020
08-09-2006, 14:30
No, don't risk it Skrittiblak. They have theories for that as well... Okay, to be fair I have a different theory that contradicts Xenology, which I consider to be a particuarly weak book (but not poorly written), so there we go. :D

Kage

Hellebore
08-09-2006, 14:49
No, don't risk it Skrittiblak. They have theories for that as well... Okay, to be fair I have a different theory that contradicts Xenology, which I consider to be a particuarly weak book (but not poorly written), so there we go.

Kage

;) :p :D :evilgrin:

Hellebore

Wraithbored
08-09-2006, 14:51
Humm if Eldar don't grow beards then how can people call them a beardy army!! :D

Tymell
08-09-2006, 16:11
Humm if Eldar don't grow beards then how can people call them a beardy army!! :D

Ha, precisely my first thought on reading the thread title :D

While them being aliens and thus perhaps not even being able to grow beards is a fair point, just think about how many helmetless Eldar models there are. From what I know, not a lot (and also of course some of those will be female). We know that Eldar have -some- hair, so my own personally view is that they can indeed grow facial hair but most get rid of it. While it might seem comparatively sweeping to say that no Eldar have beards, simply because of fashion reasons and so on, just think about RL for a moment. Not many women allow their legs to grow hair, and yet that is based purely around social norms, so who is to say it isn't the same for Eldar with facial hair?

Also, remember that GW do have a tendency to simplify with their model ranges and background, especially for non-human races. There really should, for example, be more female models in the Imperial Guard, but there aren't. And there's the fact that facial hair would often be painted rather than modelled, so there's little to go on there. If Eldar in the fluff don't vary much in terms of personality or more broad looks, then I don't think making them varied as far as beards go will be high on the GW list of priorities ;)

Maybe Eldar are like platypus, in as much as laying eggs, but suckling the young? The Eldar look very slim and flimsy to lug around a large foetus.

Hey, if Victoria Beckham can then -nothing- is too stick-like ;)

Voronwe[MQ]
27-09-2006, 18:40
They don't have any 'facial hair-heritage' in their DNA, supposedly, or anywhere else. Though head hair is necessary: we'll always have it to protect our skulls (the most 'affected' part of us) from UV radiation