PDA

View Full Version : Jhagadurn's Kroot Mercenary Project...

Jhagadurn
31-07-2006, 18:20
Howdy guys,
I figured that this would be fun to do, a projcet log of my Kroot Mercenary army. I'll be using the Kroot rules found on the GW website, as well as the Forgeworld rules.
So, here are my Goals:

1) Have a functional army list, that is playable at 1000 points, or can be 'hired out', at 2000 points with another army of 1000 points.

2) collect, assemble, and convert all the Kroot models necessary for the army.

3) Paint the Army

4) Build a suitable Forest stlye board for the army

5) Finish this army by the end of september... (That would be amazing for me, I've been playing for a year and haven't finished an army yet)

So, as of 7/31/06, I have the following:
10 Assembled, converted, and painted Kroot Hunters
1 Converted Carnisaur, painted, to be used as a great knarloc (no way am I spending 76 USD on a 60 points model!!!)
4 assembled kroot hounds.
12 half assembled Kroot (no arms, heads, accessories)
30 unassembled kroot in sprues
1 shaper

What I plan to do next:
get my core choices down so I can play a combat patrol!
I need to build my master shaper, which will be done with a plastic kroot body, a shaper's head, and some greenstuff - planning on giving him a melta gun and power weapon or something, still need to make the list.
I also need to build 2 Carnivour squads, of 13 kroot each. I chose 13 as the basic number for my squads for a few reasons: they have to kill 4 before I take a moral test, instead of 3 if I had 10 or 12 or something, and it is an organic number. By that I mean it is in the fibonacci sequency, and naturally occuring series of numbers.... 1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21....

so yeah.....

Wish me luck, and if anyone has an armylist or suggestions, let me know!

Jhagadurn
31-07-2006, 18:21
"Sir, we got a bunch a little green dudes with slug throwers over the hill here! And they got some kind of monster with them! Orders, Sir?"

"Don't give me that crap, son! Talk to me like an officer!", the Lieutenant yelled. He snatched the binoculars out of his aide's hands, and walked up to the brim of the hill.

Down, across a valley, he could see movement amongst the trees. Yes, they where green, and they did indeed have slug throwers. ANd there was a rather large beast with them. A loud, feral roar ripped across the sky. Suddenly, more green-skinned folk appeared out of the jungle. Now there where hundreds of them. And multiple beasts. They all bellowed in rage. The line of olive toned beasts surged forwards, rapidly closing the 200 yard gap between the Lieutenant's Platoon and the creatures.

Quickly, the Lieutenant snapped a pict with his binoculars, and uploaded it to the master server at the firebase.

"Hey kid, get yer **** on that bolter there, we got a fight commin'!"

yeah, so this is supposed to be the pict he got of the creatures, I used a lizardmen carnisaur for my knarloc, and those are the start of my kroot army behind him. Don't even comment on the quality of the pic, because that is how I doctored it to look. I'll post some actual pics when i get more guys done. I only have 10 and the knarloc done now.
(click it)
http://i73.imagethrust.com/t/560602/knarlocfix.jpg (http://i73.imagethrust.com/images/2lPY/view-image/-knarlocfix.html)

Adlan
31-07-2006, 18:34
I'd put your Carnosaur on a round base, shows that you mean 40k, and are not just borrowing from a fantasy army.

And makes it tournament legal. Otherwise, sounds good and I like the fluff.

Jhagadurn
31-07-2006, 18:53
Adlan, about the base:
He is being used in a Lizardman army as well, the rider is built serpately, I can just drop him on and he is an oldblood on carnisaur.... but I'm currently working on round base with edges that slope up so that the square base fits inside.... I might have to raise the base a bit though.

AventineCrusader
31-07-2006, 23:12
Good to see you're getting this under way. September, huh? I'll have to stomp it a couple times:D . Look forward to seeing your progress here, and down at the store...

Crusader

Jhagadurn
01-08-2006, 05:27
Ok, I got a working Armylist, for 1000 points I think....

Master Shaper - 101
-w/bolt pistol, power sword, blood of the stalker, kroothawk totem, fast reflexes

Carnivore Kindred - 138
-w/13x Krooter, shaper, fast reflexes

Carnivore Kindred - 138
-w/13x Krooter, shaper, fast reflexes

Kroot Hound Pack - 252
-w/13x Kroot, 8x Hounds, Shaper w/eviscerator, blood of the stalker, surefoot charm, hyperactive nymune, fast reflexes, frag grenades

Goaded Knarloc pack - 372
-w/2x great knarlocs, 16x goads, shaper w/ eviscerator, blood of the stalker, surefoot charm, fast reflexes

Total: 1001

The master shaper can join either the hound pack, or the knarloc pack, both of which WILL assault first turn, unless you are smart, and.... oh wait, I will assault first turn. (infiltrate 18", in line of sight of you, blood of the stalker D6 inches closer, Hopefully I go first, due to kroothawk totem, and then I move, fleet and assault. Bang)

Brutal. But the carnivores really have no purpose, and I didn't have points to give them eviscerators. So they will be objective holders, and just generally mean looking doods.

Adlan
01-08-2006, 11:01
How are you gonna cope with tanks? all I see able to take em down are the Knarlocs.

Dead orc
01-08-2006, 12:02
Eviscerators don't like tanks, tanks don't like eviscerators. Skimmerswill be the only problem I see. Get some pictures of the kroot up!

Jhagadurn
01-08-2006, 14:39
Well, I'm hoping that in 1000 poin games, there won't be so many tanks that my eviscerators and my knarloc's rending are not enough. As for skimmers, you have just found a purpose for my carnivores! They can glance skimmers! or at least land speeders....

Dead orc
01-08-2006, 15:12
Armies such as Mech tau will totaly destroy you though. Kroot have hard times against them....

Shaper Shakra
01-08-2006, 15:48
No shaper coucil? You could tool 'em up with melta guns and voila, anti-tank.

Jhagadurn
02-08-2006, 06:37
No shaper coucil? You could tool 'em up with melta guns and voila, anti-tank.

1000 points. Only 1000 points. I also already have a unit of 10 kroot hunters that I wanted to put in, but I didn't. I also want to experiment with vultures. But that was all I could get into 1000 points, making use of the Knarloc.

But This will eventually be expanded to 1500 points, in which I will have a vulture unit, and a shaper council in addition to another knarloc.

The reason I picked the knarlocs or the kroot hound pack over the shaper council is this: shaper council's are minimum 45 points per model, with what you give them, melta guns, and assuming they have nymune/wings, and my kroot trait choice, so yeah, that's 45 points per model with T3, and 5+ armor save.... even if they have 3 wounds, a squad of guardsmen can pretty much shoot them down to half or so in just a single round of shooting, and can even hurt them a bunch in melee. I wanted my big 21 unit strong kroot hound squad, that won't get shot to hell, and can do a hopping ammount of damage in melee.

So that's why I didn't pick the shaper council.

For all of you nay-sayers out there that say 'mech tau will kill you.' 'mech IG will destroy you.' 'you can't kill an a deathwing army.' I have a few things to you:

1) I don't build lists to counter other specific lists
2) This list was built with the primary intention of Fun, secondary of fluff, and then to win, if nothing else. So, while I do want the list to be good, if I find it more fluffy to take a power weapon on my hq instead of a melta, I'll do it.
3) Nobody here plays mech IG, or mech Tau. Except me. That's why I'm not worried about it. There are alot of deathwing armies though, and I'm actually pretty sure I can kill them. The fact that my kroothound squad alone generates 60+ close combat attacks first turn is pretty disgusting.

so yeah, quit being so picky about my list! If I wanted to know how to make it beat mech tau, and kill 50 bajillion million tanks in one turn, I would have posted in the tactics forum.....

[/RANT]

AventineCrusader
02-08-2006, 09:42
3) Nobody here plays mech IG, or mech Tau. Except me. That's why I'm not worried about it.

Thats not true:eyebrows: . John plays Mech Tau. And Brandon plays Mech Marines and Mech Guard.

Just sayin...

Crusader:D

Dead orc
02-08-2006, 14:47
Mech marines and mech Guard aren't really a problem, Its the skimmers always being hit on 6's in CC which is the problem. But I am all for building lists primarily for fun. Get some pictures of kroot!

Jhagadurn
02-08-2006, 15:58
Well, actually, around here, the nastiest army is the mech marine army that AventineCrusader described.... It has only lost a couple of times in it's 6 month existance, and it plays once or twice a week. It's a HAUSS of an army.

Ok, UPDATE:
Army list finished!

I am currently building the first carnivore squad, of 12 regular kroot, and a shaper. Actually this will probably be the kroot hound pack, because the shaper has an eviscerator. I only have 4 hounds though, I need 4 more. Anybody wanna sell?

The First Great Knarloc is also done, and is fully painted. He need Goad's though, and I will probably be using my hunter kindred (which I can't feild in 1000 points) as his goads.

Master Shaper is proving to be a challenge.... I decided on the bolt pistol and power weapon, but I don't know how to build him, and make him look significantly different than the rest of the kroot. I'll probably take a pair of the plastic 'scurrying kroot' legs, and one of the hunched over 'I'm gonna shank you' torsoes, and put the arm set on that has the rifle in one hand, and the combat knife in the other. Then I'll cut those weapons off, and put on a powersword (Space Marine), and a bolt pistol (probably chaos bolt pistol). Then I guess I'll use just a regular kroot head, maybe a head with beads on the spines, and He will get full kroot armor, including matching shoulder pads, and a back plate! Then I'll just strap all the other krap (with a 'k') onto his back.

I'll take some pics of the kroot when I get home. And I guess of my kroot workstation, as that seems to be a tradition... But I'm at work now, which is the suck.

bluebugs
02-08-2006, 18:41
keep it up, and as for being crushed by other armies, who cares. someone doesn't play kroots to win, but to have fun. and with all the damn shots a kroot army can get in one turn is enough to make termies cry. As well as the kroot's ability to get a 4+ cover save just for being in the woods.

Easy E
02-08-2006, 23:42
Just to be clear: It sounds like you are using Carnosaurs as Great Knarlocs and the regular Kroot models right? Your not making a Kroot Merc Army out of Lizardmen, correct? Either way is cool, I just want to make sure I follow you.

Kroot hound packs are just sick units.

Your shaper sounds like a nice quick and easy conversion that will make him distinctive to the rest of the carnivores. I look forward to more pictures.

Math Mathonwy
03-08-2006, 09:31
I decided on the bolt pistol and power weapon, but I don't know how to build him, and make him look significantly different than the rest of the kroot.
Use this (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=9947020200702&orignav=9) feathery thingy from the Kislev Winged Lancers. Should make him stand out nicely and is in Kroot theme.

Always nice to see Kroot merc armies :) Now, come on, show us pics of the warriors!

Jhagadurn
08-08-2006, 16:25
Howdy guys,

Sorry, haven't been around much.

Update!:
I bought another package of carnivores, and a blist of kroot hounds and a couple of shapers.
I made the shaper for the gnarloc pack, as that is my current objective. I cut off the tau pulse rifle, and put on an eviscerator. I also modified the little crooked shaper sword thing that they have.
I'm assembly-line building the kroot, I now have 26 legs and torsos, and 8 with arms..... no more painted. I was really busy with work there for a week, so I didn't get anything done.

so the only things left to buy is another shaper model, another carnisaur, and another package of kroot hounds. And then I just have to build and paint.

phew!

pictures of my crap when I get home, or maybe tomorrow.

Arcane_Blade
08-08-2006, 16:38
This is sounding like a good project, I'll be following it, And get those pics taken as ssoon as possible!!! ;)

The Dragon Reborn
09-08-2006, 00:08
I have always wanted to play against a all kroot army, I will also be following this thread.

hope to see pictures soon. are you going paint them traditionaly or dip them as lots have done with kroot?