PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about (possible) future 40K expansions!

inq.covenant
31-07-2006, 18:59
Ok folks, so far GW have given us Cities of Death (not fond of that name to be honest, too cheesy) which deals with the perils and tactics of urban warfare. I for one love the idea of urban warfare over open-field battles, the more buildings and piles of rubble the better as far as I'm concerned! That plus the images of tanks moving through the streets with dozer blades and snipers in the towers and squads using flamer weapons to burn the opposition out of hiding... etc. etc.

Anyways, what do you think GW will treat us to next? I've heard of the Apocalypse expansion, which from what I gather is going to deal with large-scale engagements, something like 3000+ points per side, and will detail rules for superheavy vehicles that we usually only see in Epic 40K. I'll be looking forward to this too.

I want to see another jungle-fighting expansion. The original, which was just Codex: Catachans, was a real gem. I love the idea of jungle fighting as much as cityfighting. I think Codex: Catachans really delivered back then but with the new 40K and all these new codices we really need an update. It could deal not just with jungles but with forests and swamps (I recall a chapter approved article a while back that dealt with swamps). I don't know if it would be in exactly the same format as Cities of Death because CoD really only uses stratagems, new scenarios and the scenery to change the style of play - I don't know if this would be enough for jungles and swamps.

Another expansion I would love to see would be some kind of more advanced 40K. Over the past couple of editions of the game it's become more and more simplified, presumably to quicken the pace of games so they don't take several days! Then theres the added bonus of being able to introduce younger players to the hobby and make more money! But I want things to be a bit more complex. You used to get special issue grenades and missiles, different types of force-fields, a huge array of psychic powers and the dreaded psychology! Now I appreciate the need to keep the game quick - I prefer it this way! And I definitely prefer certain races and armies keeping unique items of wargear (Eldar getting plasma grenades, Imperials getting frag and Tau getting flash flares for example), but surely Space Marines could get Plasma and Melta missiles again?! No? Just me?

I would also like to see a set of rules that explore the effects of weather on the battlefield. This was done for Warhammer during the Dark Shadows campaign a few years back and I think it added some real flavour to the typical battles. Maybe this could be included in the advanced expansion too?

Shaper Shakra
31-07-2006, 19:03
I agree with most of what you said. Except the grenade part. Do you remember what halucinagen(sp?) grenades did? I really don't wanna play anymore games doing jumping jacks.

Maleficum
31-07-2006, 19:16
Two words: Space Hulks.

A modular boxed set, some spiffy new rules and swift, hardcore action from kill-team and upwards! maybe even multiplayer games!

3 0f 6
31-07-2006, 19:19

A modular boxed set, some spiffy new rules and swift, hardcore action from kill-team and upwards! maybe even multiplayer games!

hell yeah, as an add on or revamped game that 'd be cool

x-esiv-4c
31-07-2006, 19:22
I miss the unusual weapons lost from past editions. Graviton guns, Conversion beam-projectors, Shokk Attack Guns, GRENADES THAT WORK....etc

They should bring out a second "Wargear" book with those things in it.

Damien 1427
31-07-2006, 19:22
A Space Hulk expansion would be made of glory and win.

Not as much as one dedicated solely to Kill-Team, though.

Shaper Shakra
31-07-2006, 19:32
They should also redo Gorkamorka. But we all know that will never happen. :p

Lt. Co Steel
31-07-2006, 19:34
I like the idea of trench warfare, a set of rules for this kind of fighting would be great, a proper re-release of space hulk would be nice to.

UnRiggable
31-07-2006, 19:37
I hope they make an expansion that allows few models to fight eachother, like LOTR Batle Companies

Mad Doc Grotsnik
31-07-2006, 19:41
Space Hulk is easy enough to replicate though....

Procure the rules for the Anphelion Base (IA:4, well worth the really rather reasonable price!) and make up your own flooring tiles. I'm a complete spazz at modelling, and I reckon it should be fairly simple....

Get your base material. Perhaps thing Cardboard. Paint this black now. But do NOT spray it....causes naughty warpage...

Next, cut to shape some find Car Body Mesh, and glue this to the Cardboard. Should be a little bit thinner than the floor.

Next, use strips of Card to make the whole thing look like a Metal Walkway.

VOILA! Not ideal, not particularly great in fact, but a damned sight cheaper than the Anphelion base itself.

Or, you could of course just trawl E-Bay for Space Hulk! The Kill Team rules would be best for such games, and certainly nothing bigger than Combat Patrol (trust me...when EVERYONE hits on a 2+, it gets messy quick!)

Simsandwich
31-07-2006, 19:44
Can we stop with Space Hulk revival? Great Idea, but the Anphelion rules have it covered.
What about Desert Warfare?
Or Siege Warfare.
IA 5 has Trench Warfare done.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
31-07-2006, 19:47
Allegedly... I'll wait until it's released!

If you want to such things, do it...

Seriously, the less you let GW Spoon Feed you, the more you'll get out of the Hobby!

no. hold on. That sentence doesn't quite work....

Ahem...

Seriously, the less you are spoon fed by GW, the more enjoyment you'll get from the Hobby!

Yes. Thats better.

UnRiggable
31-07-2006, 19:48
What is space hulk?!

Simsandwich
31-07-2006, 19:50
*begins to type up Trench Warfare Rules*

Jimbobjeff
31-07-2006, 20:12
Space hulk is an older game which gw used to make, about terminators fighting genestealers inside spacecraft.

Back on topic I would like to see an advanced ruleset which could be used in any type of game, not really using extra wargear but covering things like overwatch, more complex psychology and extra rules for flanking etc

Shaper Shakra
31-07-2006, 20:32
NO. Overwatch never worked. It was basically both armies just sitting there waiting for the other one to come within their killzone. And if you played an assault army...:cries: I really hope that the new book covers flyers also, as they're loads of fun.

Chem-Dog
31-07-2006, 20:33
What about Desert Warfare?
Or Siege Warfare.

I don't see how siege warfare would be much different from cityfight, lots of snipers and ordenance with infantry hunkering down in cover, unless dealt with carefully we are looking at an extremely boring game of Battle of the Balistic skill.
Desert warfare is really covered by normal rules, a table with little cover will again result in a gunnery duel it might be worthy of a specific set of terrain rules.

Running battles inside large buildings/spacecraft/underground complexes would be an excellent game if done properly, this subject has been discussed before and the stumbling block that has cropped up for this kind of combat is Vehicles. A boarding party cannot expect to have tanks and aircraft to support them like they would in a normal conflict, only lighter vehicles (like sentinels) could hope to make it into the target.

Junglefighting would be a welcome return, given the new ideal of not affecting the core game or codex choices it is easy to imagine the mechanism being very similar to Cities of Death with movement and LoS restricted whilst light cover would be available to most.

There is some buzz about the "appocalypse", large scale battles featuring superheavy vehicles, continued rumour of the Baneblade plastic kit and the Ork stomper concept suggest GW are looking into this at the very least.

With the advent of CoD we are, I think, spoiled in that when we discuss further "of Death" titles we immediately turn to what superb terrain GW will supply with it, "Jungles of Death" would be a supremely easy supplement to create terrain models for, there are already trees all we would need is some larger tree trunks to attach the smaller trees, forgeworld did one of these and I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to imagine GW would be able to make a Small, Medium and Large tree part sprue so players could mix them to create all sorts of trees, if we are going to continue the idea of four sprues the fourth could make up various other jungle features such as a quarter or half of a swamp pool (allowing you to make up a larger pool with several sprues), possibly a few modified branches for lookouts/snipers to conceal themselves on, a downed tree or two and perhaps some additional foliage of some description or other.

Lord_Robot
31-07-2006, 21:27
I like those Jungles Of Death terrain ideas, Chem Dog. They rock.

But, I think a cool addition would be Ice Worlds...Of Death.
Vehicles could freeze up, troops could freeze, or plummet to their death as they walk over a glacial crevasse. Blizzards could block LoS, but also slow down movement. And don't even get me started on Skimmers and Jump Troops.

For terrain, you could have Ice Crystal forests, Ice Stations, and well...not much else...except snow drifts.
Well, the terrain isn't THAT cool, but Ice Worlds...Of Death would still rock.

Simsandwich
31-07-2006, 21:30
What about fighting on a Daemon World?
You could have all kinds of crazy stuff there.

schoon
31-07-2006, 21:31
That would get my vote as well (for whatever that's worth :eyebrows:)

Mad Doc Grotsnik
31-07-2006, 21:31
The trouble is, we're not especially likely to see things like Ice Worlds, or Sub-Aquatic Battles.

Sadly, considering GW are a for-profits organisation, they are just a little too niche....

But like I said, do it for yourself, and if they work, post them on the Interwebs....you could become a legend you know.

revford
31-07-2006, 21:41
How about, for Overwatch fans (not me, I remember it), adding Overwatch as a strategem for trench warfare games?

It could help to recreate that 'run into the machine guns across no mans land' feel?

Overwatch Strategem, gives one unit within 6" of the observation tower the ability to shoot in the enemy movement phase.

My vote for a new ...OF DEATH! book would be small battles, for all things Combat Patrol and Kill Team. They can borrow rules from Necromunda, Mordheim and Battle Company to give a better advance system for your team. Kill Team is a great idea that has been poorly implemented, it deserves another chance and an ...OF DEATH! book could be great for it.

Simsandwich
31-07-2006, 21:44
Thank you Rev, Im using that.

Promethius
31-07-2006, 23:21
I've always wondered why a "40k skirmish" game was never released - generic skirmish rules for all races.

Trench + seige warfare would be cool, with bunkers and mines and all the rest of it.

I would still dearly love to see a space ship boarding action type game, with rules for zero G combat, fighting in an airless environment and so forth.

Easy E
01-08-2006, 01:45
I think that a book of the extreme terrain types would work as Planets of Death. In this one book it could cover fighting in Jungles, Ice-Worlds, Lava Fields, Ash Wastes, Methane Swamps, Aquatic, etc. I love jungle fighting. However, the special rules take up 2-5 pages. There is not enough for it's own book/ruleset. However, a combination of rules for extreme environments would work.

I also would like to see the old rumored Codex:Darkside that deals with fighting in low to zero G and poor atmospheres, similar to conditions found in a Space Hulk or boarding party. As for no vehicles, the battles would have to be fought by all infantry forces <gasp and horror> and leave the vehicles at home.

And I also agree with Mad Doc; don't let GW spoon feed you everything. That's when the game gets stale fast.

cailus
01-08-2006, 01:49
A proper, stupidly complex Daemon World expansion pack.

Have things like randomly emerging daemon packs tearing up combatants from both sides, mountains of living flesh that eat your models, streams of effluent and corruption that inflict not only wounds but also lower your armour value if you survive (corrosion), terrain that changes on a turn-by-turn basis and all other types of madness as the gods try to inflict even more suffering on your already half-insane troops.

[SD] Bob Plisskin
01-08-2006, 02:34
hows about:

Creatures of Death

A codex containing rules for a number (at least 10) single models designed to take on entire forces in combat. For example you could have a 400 point monster designed to take on a combat patrol sized list but also a 2000 point monster designed to take on an entire army. There could be rules for tyranid style monsterous creatures, super big greater daemons, Alpha level psykers etc etc.

Also it would be cool if one or two were designed to pop up between a regular battle, deepstrike style (controlled by a third player) and chomp on both armies meaning that the armies who were bitter enemies only minutes ago have to team together to take out the monster but still beat each other on victory points. A very flimsy alliance indeed.

The Purple Ninja
01-08-2006, 05:05
How about

Rending Ponies of Death!

RPD would leave the core rules unchanged, but detail the complex system of making every single weapon in the game have the rending rule, and providing in-depth examples of how to go about issues that come up from this.

This expansion could also be called 5th Edition. The cover could have the 4th edition thunder hammer with a band-aid covering up the I in the IV to make it a V.

fattdex
01-08-2006, 05:11
the giant assault cannon on top of my robot-dreadnought conversion will be sporting a RPD logo :)

m3ntor
01-08-2006, 08:42
Apocalypse...OF DEATH!

But yes, Planets of death sounds like a good idea. Including Daemon worlds, even.

And I would love to see a CoD scale Trench warfare system with associated models released by GW.

Bregalad
01-08-2006, 09:38
I think that a book of the extreme terrain types would work as Planets of Death. In this one book it could cover fighting in Jungles, Ice-Worlds, Lava Fields, Ash Wastes, Methane Swamps, Aquatic, etc. I love jungle fighting. However, the special rules take up 2-5 pages. There is not enough for it's own book/ruleset. However, a combination of rules for extreme environments would work.

I also would support that. A campaign book on extreme nature types, including native monsters (and possibly also some chaos worlds) would be a natural (pun intended) choice for a new Campaign book. Lots of possible material for the book, also lots of possible plastic kits for that (big animals, carnivorous plants and such). Fighting jungle monsters and plants would be a fun addition to jungle fights.

Scamshouse
01-08-2006, 11:10
I'd like to see a load of jungle/desert/ice/deamon world Terrain types collected up in one book.

A mission book, with large scale battles and small scale kill team and patrols that aren't just get as many vps as possible.

Rules for fighting in Space Hulks, craft worlds on the back of a leviathan etc.

I'd also like a Horus Heresy book with alternative army lists for marines, IG, Custodes, Sisters of Silence etc allowing people to field pre heresy legions.

More aliens, monsters, Demi Urg...

I'd also like the moon on a stick
:D

Gen_eV
01-08-2006, 13:44
I wanna see space-based
Come on, you've all seen the gorgeous Imperial City kits. Now imagine them doing the same as a kit for building massive sets of interlinking corridors.

I know about Anphelion, but I'm not spending 175 for two rooms and a corridor between them. A nice, affordable plastic kit to represent interiors only would be darned sweet, particularly for the odd Necromunda game as well.

Kriegsherr
01-08-2006, 14:46
I think, apart from an expansion for larger games, an expansion for smaller games is needed. 40k skirmish, something between =I= and 40k. It could use the normal rules from 40k, just (re-)introduce more detailled rules. I would really like to see an ammo roll like in necromunda, making the las weapon the weapon of choice for all who don't like jammed weapons again.

It should deal with games 500 Points and below, maybe restrictions like for combat patrol, maybe special rules that make such restrictions unnecesary (like lucky shots for dealing with tanks).

Carnelian
02-08-2006, 10:45
I would like to see rules for fighting for control of massive building systems with rules detailing how to play inside buildings too

Adept
02-08-2006, 11:09
Wouldn't trench warfare simply be putting trenches on the table and calling them 4+ cover saves? Hardly something that would need an entire book.

Personally, I'd like to see a "Jungles of Death" supplement that allowed armies to play in heavily forested boards.

Sai-Lauren
02-08-2006, 13:02
I wanna see space-based
Come on, you've all seen the gorgeous Imperial City kits. Now imagine them doing the same as a kit for building massive sets of interlinking corridors.

I know about Anphelion, but I'm not spending 175 for two rooms and a corridor between them. A nice, affordable plastic kit to represent interiors only would be darned sweet, particularly for the odd Necromunda game as well.
I was thinking square section guttering/pipes, a saw and some sandpaper, some car body repair mesh, plenty of glue and all those bits you don't bother sticking in the insides of marine vehicles because you've glued the hatches shut to stop them flapping around. (And the only reason I've not done it myself is the issue of storage :rolleyes: ).

But if you want to wait for GW to produce it for you, then by all means do so.;)

As Mad Doc was trying to get across earlier, if you want something, try and do it yourself and see where you get to. Have a scenario idea, or have thought up a new unit type, or want to cover some new terrain features, drop it into rules development and see what people think.

You never know, it might just work.:)

Gae'Mot
02-08-2006, 13:12
Indoor combat:
- think space hulk, but more advanced and versitile. Not only kill team vs brutes, but also kill team vs kill team.
- special rules and new "veteran abilities" (like lockpicking, hacking into mainframes, blocking doors, cutting off power, placing boobietraps...)
- Rules that cover different environments: space ships, necron tombs, tyranid tunnels, ork fortresses, forgeworld factories, ... Each with it's own distinctive traps, security, layout etc...