PDA

View Full Version : New Woodelf player vs vampire counts

Haydog
01-08-2006, 14:52
I am a new wood elf player who has most of the army selection except flying units and wardancers. I will be facing 2500 point undead army for the first time. Does anybody have any good tips and tactics?

Voltaire
01-08-2006, 15:54
I will list what I would consider the priority targets in any game against the undead.

1) General - kill him and the army starts to crumble.
2) Any units led by characters - making the enemy test on their basic Ld is a good idea, on a characters and they stay alive longer
3) Black Knights/Grave guard - These units have a relatively good Ld and can handle themselves. They stand a good chance of still being able to dent your ranks when the General is gone.
4) Everything else

While you should target the general straight away, use other units to distract faster elements of the army while wittling unit numbers to manageable chunks to ensure you are not caught outumbered by fear causing opponents.

Alathir
01-08-2006, 16:18
Your lucky that alot of your army has the immune to pyschocolgy ability. Fear is a powerful thing.. too many times I've lost games because of one failed fear test.

Try to kill their general, but dont make it your SOLE purpose, that never ends well. As always against the undead, avoid like the plague getting bogged down in combat, they will probably have quite a bit of static combat resolution so make sure you pick your fights exceptionally well.

Whittling down is always difficult against the undead so dont count on it... some nice combined charges, Wild Rider flank charges can be devastating, should set you right.

Haydog
01-08-2006, 18:34
"I am a new wood elf player who has most of the army selection except flying units and wardancers. I will be facing 2500 point undead army for the first time. Does anybody have any good tips and tactics?"

Well.... from what I can gather it looks like I'll be conducting a battle that will look alot like the old cowboys and indians movies where I will be riding around the wagons shooting arrows. I know that my opponent will probably put his general in with a large block of black knights. So I may just be plain avoiding that unit for awhile. Or maybe my treeman can delay it till I can get some flank help??? I think that theres also a black coach I'll have to watch out for as well.

Arnizipal
01-08-2006, 19:09
If it's any help, I played a tournament last month and my VC army got horribly masacred by Wood Elves. The Wood Elf army consisited al:most entirely out of Dryads. It also had a Treeman (which wacked my general :( ) and some of that immune to psychology characters (alter kindered?).

Basically my opponent danced around me until he could pull off a simultanious flank and rear charge on my general's unit, throwing his treeman in the front.

I didn't have a model left on the table by turn 4. :(

sephiroth87
01-08-2006, 19:45
TWO treemen will wreck a vampire counts army. They stand and shoot, they take charges, and can generally stand up to anything the Vampire Counts can throw at you. The Black knights are a worry, as is the Black Coach (Woodies don't get a lot of Str. 7 weapons). The rest of it can either be shot to death or avoided with good use of treesinging and movement. Anything that hits you quickly before you get to shoot a few times is a major, major target. If the vampire is with the knights, he's using it as the hammer unit. That means you can pick what is going to be charged, take it, and kill the general. If you can hold the charge or flank them with something fast, you can run in and either attack the count or challenge him. The wood elf power that lets the opponent hit on 6's is nasty versus the Count. He'll swing and miss, then you clock him with whatever you have left.

shadowprince
01-08-2006, 20:19
combine charges with the spell that gives you an extra attack, on a unit of eight dryads its 24 attacks, will be great for combat against blocks of skeletons and zombies. Etheral will get annoying, but thats what magic bows and forest spirits are for.

Brock Samson
02-08-2006, 13:41
I've played against VC with my WE several times, and despite my intital loss to them, I have handled them quite nicely since. You need to have a healthy doss of antimagic in your army ... radiants and some dispell scrolls. I would concentrate your shooting on the units that he can't raise. Black Knights love a group of 6-8 Waywatchers shooting them up. That killing blow is nasty. I wouldn't waste time with flying units against the undead - save them more for static units, i.e. warmachines. I agree with zeroing in on his general, and I would suggest to try to zero in on most of his characters. But as previously mentioned - don't get to crazy with it...

Good luck...

Haydog
07-08-2006, 13:14
Well..... Thanks for all of your replys. The vampire army was massacred.
Two treemen held up his black knights and a large block skeletons while the rest of my army basically shot them up or got in posititon on the flanks for charges. On turn three the vampire general riding with the black knights was killed by the treeman and his army began to crumble in the remaining turns. I've never beaten an undead army and to do it now with the a new wood elf army in such a quick fashion was shocking. Thanks again!!!

Latro
07-08-2006, 14:35
Well..... Thanks for all of your replys. The vampire army was massacred.
Two treemen held up his black knights and a large block skeletons while the rest of my army basically shot them up or got in posititon on the flanks for charges. On turn three the vampire general riding with the black knights was killed by the treeman and his army began to crumble in the remaining turns. I've never beaten an undead army and to do it now with the a new wood elf army in such a quick fashion was shocking. Thanks again!!!

Congratulations!

Watch out though, no experienced VC player will ever let his general or expensive cavalry be caught by a Treeman ... and certainly not a second time!

Whenever facing those big trees, I always feed them a zombie unit and trap the big guy for the rest of the battle in a combat he can't win on his own ... which is why every big tree out there should have at least one unit of little trees following him.

Cheap and deadly ... who doesn't love Dryads?

:cool:

Neknoh
07-08-2006, 14:40
May I suggest you try out tha Callach's Claw or whatever it's called on one of your characters next time, you see, nothing makes an elf as happy as sniping Necromancers when facing the Undead

Latro
07-08-2006, 15:13
May I suggest you try out tha Callach's Claw or whatever it's called on one of your characters next time, you see, nothing makes an elf as happy as sniping Necromancers when facing the Undead

You probably mean The Hunter's Talon (The Claw is a sword that gives the unit it wounds a -1 leadership penalty that round ... kinda iffy against undead ;) ).

A fairly common tactic used by experienced VC players is the so called "Necro Bunker". A unit of zombies with all the vulnerable necromacers in them which follows the main battle-line of zombie and skeleton units about 1 inch from behind ... keeping them very safe and out of sight, even from snipers.

Neknoh
07-08-2006, 15:22
Ah yes, and it is extremely funny to bring those untis down, unfortunately, the only unit I know of in the Woodelf List that could do such a job would either be a Dragon or a large unit of Waywatchers, the Waywatchers should be able to chew themselves through at least enough zombies to win each combat round by a few points, it may take a while, but that unit is going down, of course, the Necro's might well summon up zombies to flank the poor souls.

Ah the luck of playing Chaos ^^

Alathir
07-08-2006, 15:57
Congrats on the win...

two treemen eh? I know alot of players who would have whinged and cried at that.

Latro
07-08-2006, 16:12
... Ah the luck of playing Chaos ^^

Oh the joy of slamming a unit of Chosen Knights of Khorne into such a unit ... like dropping puppies in a blender. :evilgrin:

Haydog
08-08-2006, 15:35
Congrats on the win...

two treemen eh? I know alot of players who would have whinged and cried at that.
You know I will probably never use 2 again but it was sort of a you don't know what you got till it's done sort of situation. I just knew that I've never beat the undead with any of my other armies and the list was legal.