PDA

View Full Version : Ranged unit formations.

Black-Tooth
01-08-2006, 20:13
Hello once again,

This time I'm here to ask about your archer and hand gunner formations. It seems to me like a waste of time having more than one rank of ranged troops (one line that is). But to have an effective amount, you need alot, and this would make the unit too wide, and it would get in the way of movement alot.

Is it just the standard two ranks that people employ when shooting, as I've seen this in pictures alot? And how wide would you normally have the unit?

On a side note, is 7th Ed changing the way ranked up shooters work at all?

Thanks,

Voltaire
01-08-2006, 21:01
I would typically get a unit of ten ranged and set them up in a line then reform into two ranks of 5 when the enemy is closer to stop a wider charge from two units.

Khaane
01-08-2006, 23:22
I would typically get a unit of ten ranged and set them up in a line then reform into two ranks of 5 when the enemy is closer to stop a wider charge from two units.

Agreed, works best this way. Although you can keep them 10 wide if you have plenty of stuff that can block off chargers.

Highborn
01-08-2006, 23:30
I actually keep them 10 wide and hope they do get charged, because I'll usually have a block of skirmishers or fast cav to get the countercharge. I figure it's 120 points that has outlived its usefulness at that stage of the game. Any charge my glade guard take is a charge that my combat units won't have to take ... and we all know how well WE combat units take charges.

Xavier
01-08-2006, 23:34
Units of 10, 10 Wide on flat, 5 wide on hill unless its wood elves in which case always units 10 wide moving forwards and backwards shooting strength 4 at close range.

Atzcapotzalco
02-08-2006, 06:23
Having tough dwarf missile troops, I tend to take a reasonable sized unit and form them up in several ranks, so they can take care of themselves in combat. A weak unit in a dwarf army is too much of an easy target.

jahorin
02-08-2006, 11:48
i'm not more original than the others so usually it's a long line of 10, but if i'm lucky enought to get a hill in my deployement zone then it's going to be 2 ranks of 5 each.

DeathlessDraich
02-08-2006, 12:08
1) Archers on a hill: you can actually have 15 archers shooting even if you are 5 wide.:eek:
Position the unit at the edge of the hill with the front rank on lower ground and the 2 back ranks on the hill. All 3 ranks can shoot!
Very effective with dark elf Xbows or dwarf thunderers.

2) 2 units of archers are best positioned away from each other or angled in such a way to prevent an overrun from 'sweeping' through the entire gunline.

3) The most effective massed shooting archer unit - Bretonnian peasants who skirmish! The old Wood Elves in units of 5 were also good. Comparing 20 peasants and 20 elves, the 20 peasants will definitely have more targets in LOS and it wil be more difficult to shoot them back.
How can mere peasants be more effective than elven archers?::(

Steel_Legion
02-08-2006, 22:22
i usually field my archers either 16men wide (in larger games where everyman counts) or 2x8, or in smaller games 10man squads, or 2x5 if on hill

Crazy Harborc
03-08-2006, 00:06
Usually, it's two ranks, five wide in the front of a hill. 10 wide in one rank on flat ground and shooting at targets on flat ground.

Archers I place in front of my HtH units and move across the field. Hey, it works well for Orcs;)