PDA

View Full Version : [i]Another[/i] Priest Question...

ThousandPlateaus
01-08-2006, 20:21
You can see I'm all about the Priests, today, huh? Must be the guilt about not having been near a Church for, ooh, 13 years...

Anyway, quick fluff question: would you get female Priests in the Imperium? I imagine that you'd certainly get as many ladies as gents fired up enough by the Spirit of the Emperor to devote themselves to the Creed, but would ladies be encouraged into the Sisterhood (in whichever Ordos)?

I know, though, there's not that many Sister Chapels throughout Imperial space, so I assume all women who wanted to couldn't join anyway...

I think I vaguely remember a Priestess in an SoB battle report a while back, come to think of it - she was in some kind of wheelchair or something... Perhaps I've just amswered my own question.... :confused:

Khaine's Messenger
01-08-2006, 20:26
would you get female Priests in the Imperium?

The only females in any "priesthood" I've seen in relation to 40k are the few women who "get religion" and join the AdMech. But that doesn't mean anything, really, as it should be noted that there's a whole order of Sisters (the Sisters Sabine?) who devote themselves whole-heartedly to the Missionaria Galaxia and the spreading of the Emperor's word to the unenlightened masses. I don't know if they count as Priests as such, because they're mainly trained state terrorists meant to whip locals into a frenzy of support for the Imperium when the Imperium finally comes to claim a lost human world....

ThousandPlateaus
01-08-2006, 20:29
That'll do me even as a proxy-Priestess, though - Imperial sponsored terrorists are just my thing, and it kind-of fits with the idea I have for something.

Thanks!

Oh - and btw, apologies for the lame code in the title!

Minister
02-08-2006, 02:52
The Sisters Sabine are not so much Imperial-sponsored terrorists (those would be the Officio Sabatorum), so much as they are an analogue of the Bene Gesserit's Missionaria Protectiva from the Dune series, re-shaping the religions of isolated worlds to better fit the Imperium, and ensuring to plant sections on "Servants of God descending in chariots of fire bearing weapons of terrible power" and the like, so that the arrival of the Adeptus Terra seems like the fulfillment of prophecy.

The Sororitas will take in many of those females who would otherwise join the priesthood proper (particularly all those who go throught he Scholasta Progenia with a talent in that direction). I can still see females joining the church at a local level, though (training at the local cathederal, rather than offworld).

Inq. Veltane
02-08-2006, 09:22
The Sisters take all their recruits from the Schola Progenium (or at least according to Codex: Sisters of Battle they do anyway) and so your average Girl Friday who grows up on a Hive World and 'gets religion' couldn't join them. There are plenty of cults and organisations that she could join though. I mean DCAs are all religious fanatics who believe that they worship the Emperor by killing his foes... I'm sure there will also be countless other non-SoB convents too.

Minister
02-08-2006, 10:50
There are sources relating to the Inquisitor game which indicate that citizens may be drawn into the SOroritas without being of the Progenia, but that they are in a minority. Exterminatus... 5? The one with the Daemonhuntress.

An important concideration is the difference between being a member of a local cult and being an Adept of the Ecclesiarchy, though.

schoon
02-08-2006, 15:02
Anyway, quick fluff question: would you get female Priests in the Imperium?
By this, I assume that you're asking if there are females in the Ecclesiarchy (Adeptus Ministorum)...

Though I have not seen any representations of such in 40K art or Black Library books, I'm sure that there would be. There's no prohibition against them like the Decree Passive for the Ecclesiarchal military forces.

ThousandPlateaus
02-08-2006, 16:41
Uh-huh, yes. Sorry.
Like, I said, I think I also answered my own question yesterday as I remembered seeing a wheelchair bound one in a SoB battle report a while ago.
Thank you, though.

Note to self: remember to look in WD/at rules before posting.

Minister
03-08-2006, 00:09
That was, however, a gamer's army, not 'Eavy metal. That, and it was a flat-out ugly convertion (and I didn't care for his Exorcists either).