PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Goblin-Hewer..help!

aggraae
01-08-2006, 21:47
In my Dwarf army i shall have Malakai Makaisons Goblin-Hewer(Rare and Hero choise).But in the rules it says that "He follows all of the rules for a normal Dwarf Engineer". He was released before the new Dwarf Army Book (in the storm of chaos campaign) so wich engineer shall i use.I personaly think that i shall use the Master Engineer rules because the old dwarf enginner was a hero choise and Malakai takes up a hero choise( and have the same stats as one)?

But its always best to ask:p

Voltaire
01-08-2006, 23:15
Go with the entry whose stats it matches until a Q&A come out IMO

gukal
02-08-2006, 15:17
This has been clarified. He is a "Dwarf Engineer" but he is not a "Master Engineer"

See the last entry at http://uk.games-workshop.com/news/errata/assets/wh/dwarfs.pdf

- Gukal

DeathlessDraich
02-08-2006, 16:45
Dwarfs FAQ:
Q Is Malakai a Master Engineer
A No, It states in his rules that he is a Dwarf Engineer.

This is available at the GW site and includes further rules for SOC slayers

Parka boy
03-08-2006, 02:06
So what'd the difference between a Engineer and a Master Engineer?

Fluff wise! If the Malakai is clever enough to inventing and building his own war machine (which is super unslayer like, using missile weapons indeed!) and dwarf only two other Dwarfs have invented war machines flame cannon and gyrocopter and no one knows their names, you'd think Malakai would be up there with the Master Engineers in the dwarf hall of fame.

I'm guessing that the term master engineer wasnt around when the Goblin-Hewer rules were published.

DeathlessDraich
03-08-2006, 13:00
Yes Parka boy, the new Dwarf book came after Malakai.
Hence the discrepancy. He really should be a Master Engineer for a) being a character (although I don't think he takes up a hero slot) b)his points cost.

Another GW FAQ mistake we have to endure.

2 differences if he was a Master Engineer: 1) Higher BS 2) He could entrench a GH. At the moment a Master Engineer elsewhere could still do this of course.

gukal
03-08-2006, 13:29
He is a master in his own way. But he is a disgraced engineer (that's why he is a slayer).

He doesn't gain the special rules of a master engineer ... but it hardly matters.

He cannot join a bolt thrower. He cannot join a cannon. He can use his BS 5 for his own slayer machine.

Or he can use his own weapons to unload a sniper-like barrage on lone characters while his machine still stands an excellent chance of cutting a unit of gobbos by 1/3.

He can't entrench a warmachine ... but then that shouldn't suprise either. Prior to the battle, the Master Engineer can direct some of the Dwarfs with appropriate skills to construct a barricade.

By contrast, with the notable exception of Gotrek, slayer characters of all stripes either go solo or only mingle with other slayers (not a crowd known for its interest in defense).

- Gukal

Parka boy
03-08-2006, 13:30
He does take up a hero slot, Isnt entrench stuborn until warmachine is distroyed?

The Goblin-Hewer crew are unbreakable and as I remember the crew are the only warmachine crew allowed to hold a charge without there machine.

Isnt the whole slayer ethos to run into a battle and die and not stand at the back and shooting and staying away from combat?
Malakai should be a disgraced slayer too! More buggy GW fluff as well as FAQ's

the anti santa
04-08-2006, 12:15
Another question I've yet to get an answer for is.

Regarding loss of crew.
Does the Goblin-hewer count as a 2 man bolt thrower with an engineer, or is it a 3 man bolt thrower one of whom happens to be an engineer?

If its a 3 man machine that means that if 1 normal crew member is killed and malakai wants to shoot his handgun then the remaining crewman can only shoot every other turn.

aggraae
06-08-2006, 15:21
Ok thanks for the Q&A. But i think he shall be a Master engineer but ... nothing to do about it ( probebly if he where a master engineer the unit was to good for its points):eyebrows:

UltimateNagash
07-08-2006, 19:44
I think it's just stupid him not being a Master Engineer, as well as many other problems regarding the Dwarf book and Storm of Chaos. If you're playing friendlies, use the normal Slayer rules, but add the SoC bits on, and count Malakai as a Master Engineer (and such like).
And going on the Entrenchment bit, he would do it himself, he's so good at engineering and the like.