PDA

View Full Version : Competative Night goblin army?

Cpt. Drill
02-08-2006, 00:40
Is it possible to make a competative night goblin army?

Recently I have been numbercrunching and trying to think of a competative night goblin army.... sadly im not sure if you can...

With your choices being Nightgoblins.... trolls squiggs and giants.... and maybe adding in the odd warmachine or unit of wolf riders for a bit of spice to liven it up, I dont think you could make a decent fighting force...

Admittedly the game would be fun, for a while but after your force exploded for the umpteenth time it could get a tad repetative...

Does anyone have any interesting ideas?

Also I know that the new ed will be out soon so I shouldnt finalise a list or anything (I also do own a night goblin army that is a bit broken) as I am also looking to create a skarsniks horde army as it would be fluffy and I could use the awesome model that is... skarsnik and gobbla!

DirtJumper
04-08-2006, 01:03
It is very possible, it all dpends on how you go about doing it. The way I see it, there are 2 ways to go about doing it: Loading up on the big guys (2 Giants, trolls, etc.), take some Bolt Throwers to take down thing that can give those unit a headache (Knights come to mind here) And use lots of units of Night Gobbo's for support (static CR) and for Fanatics. The other way (and this is how I will be using them) is to use them as a horde. You're never going to beat someone in a 1 on 1 fight, but I will have 13 units of 25 gobbos on the board, plus the Fanatics and heavy magic characters. That way, you can set up counter-charge situations and flanking to make sure you win every combat by static CR, plus, the checkerboard pattern set-up that hordes use is ideal for the old Fanatic trick.

TimmyMWD
04-08-2006, 22:17
A horde goblin army with solid magic is one of my most feared opponents, no matter how many you hack down there's always so so many more.

Frankly
05-08-2006, 03:31
Altough I've been playing alot of W/Machine and 40k, a gobbo horde armylist has been my latest WHFB project.

Even without a sold magic phase they're a tough armylist.

Try for example 35 N.gobbo's 7 wide and 5 deep with other a standard and 6 netters in and front rank, a stunning unit to take on other core and semi-hard infantry and cavalry units.

Snotling units are brillant tarpits while gobbo chariots and B.thrower and increbibily cost effective.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of fanactic's, they're random and less effective compared to chariots for damage dealing and can create more problems than do good alot of the time. All and all I think there's better things to spend your points on than decking out your armylist with fanatic's.

Hero's add alot more long ranged heavy hitting power to the armylist when on a wolf, they add alot of high strength damage dealing when combined to chariots to an army that outnumbers(big time)the opponant and as the ability to flank.

Please note that alot of tactics I've written about, mainly comes from the idea's and wisdom of a poster on these forums called Wintersdark(I think) ... credits where credits due;) .

de Selby
05-08-2006, 09:49
I've loved night goblins since I first got into GW about... fifteen years ago. Never collected an army of them before, but with the new starter set at £40 including 20 archers, 40 spear-gobbos, 10 spider riders and a troll, plus plenty of other stuff, suddenly a horde built from starter sets starts to look like a possibility. I'd buy a couple of new NG plastic boxes for parts and variety too, but honestly I like painting one-piece models when there's a lot to get through... the slightly 2D nature helps a lot.

Anyway, I was wondering what experienced gobbo players make of the idea of an infantry horde, with lots of magic, a few fanatics, some trolls and spiders for flanking and mobile reserve... the main disadvantage seems to be NG characters' low leadership... you can't afford to lose combats... ever...

jahorin
05-08-2006, 11:18
i'Ve played a couple of time with my friends an all night goblin army. the opponent that gives me the more trouble are the armies that "everybody-in-the-army-cause-fear" (ie deamon, ogre, undead) beacause as you know leadership is not friend in a night goblin army.

i usually build blocks of 30 or 36 gobbos. they all have spears (since we play stricly wysiwyg) i put a netter here and there, but they are not all that useful, they just add flavor to the army. i never put 3 fanatics per unit. it's a bit to much and they tend to crash against each other if you have too many of them.

as for the (almost) mandatory unit of squig herder. i've tried several them in several combination. now i tend to stick to around 12 squid 4 herders. that way they don't suffer from animosity.

my personnal preference for the night goblin army is magic heavy. in the usual 2k game i have a lord mage lvl 4 with the didlee-do staff. think about gork's warpath twice per magic phase... it's quite destructive. after that i have 2 level 2 mages. a hero equip to fight with the guzzla's backbone brew and finally an army battle standard with the bad moon banner.

something i may include 2 pump wagon and a couple of snotlings. i've never included any other warmachine or troll or giant in my horde.

i've been somewhat succesfull with this army. against bretonian, i win most of the the time, it's really too much fun to fanatic run throught those shiny armoured knights. if i was to bring the army into a tournament, i would probably include a unit (or 2) of night goblins with short bows just for pure annoyance, and make them march the first and hope that they are in range of the enemy's warmachine on turn 2.

well that sums up my experience with night goblin. if you have any question feel free to ask.

p.s. i will try a 1500 pts nigh goblin army next week-end in a tournament. i'll post an update to tell you how it went.

Cpt. Drill
05-08-2006, 11:53
my personnal preference for the night goblin army is magic heavy. in the usual 2k game i have a lord mage lvl 4 with the didlee-do staff. think about gork's warpath twice per magic phase... it's quite destructive. after that i have 2 level 2 mages. a hero equip to fight with the guzzla's backbone brew and finally an army battle standard with the bad moon banner.

You guys do know that if you only take gobo heros you get a free 'bigboss' slot for every 1000pts? read the army selection page (just befor the army list itself in the book)

So my characters for 2000pts would be:

Lv.4 shaman
Lv.2 shaman
Lv.2 shaman
Lv.2 shaman
Big boss BSB
Big boss great weapon (he sits by the lv shaman and gaurds him)

jahorin
05-08-2006, 13:13
i know that but if you take too many mages you loose gobbos!!! 100 pts for a level 2 mage equal 30 night gobbos. think about it...

DirtJumper
05-08-2006, 16:01
I'm fine with that, I can still fit another 300 gobbos in on top of those characters, and still have points left at 2k.

Cpt. Drill
05-08-2006, 23:02
Are trolls worth while... I have a few knocking around.. but I was concidering just adding them to my goblin units to make them even more rag tag and quite 'horde' like!

DeathMasterSnikch
06-08-2006, 00:24
I'd also like to know if trolls are worth taking in most games (even non competetive). My brother has been getting an O+G army going and I'm not sure what to advise him when it comes to them.

Also River, stone or both?

DirtJumper
06-08-2006, 01:11
Neither. If you're gonna take trolls just use them as basic ones. The points spent on upgrading them are much better spent elsewere. That may all change when the new O&G book comes out, but we will have to wait and see. I personally like Trolls. What isent there to like about them, really? They're like Ogres with str5 and Regenerate. Sure they're a little heafty on points, but you really need shock troops in a Goblin army unless you're going the way of the horde.

Ganymede
06-08-2006, 03:46
The best advice I could give any goblin horde player is to not, and I repeat to not, get a level 4 wizard and three level 2's.

Cpt. Drill
06-08-2006, 12:11
What would you suggest instead?

For a long time I have fielded my army with Some wizards some warmachines alot of grunts a giant and some goblin cav....

I think you need some wizards but it definatly lessens the game if its all about magic!

jahorin
06-08-2006, 15:33
Also River, stone or both?

i've been fielding quite successfully a unit of 4 river trolls for several games now. before i was using only 3 and i find that 4 is much better against unit that are 5 models wide. they ability that inflict -1 to hit is quite annoying. most of the time you will be hit on 4+ instead of 3+.

sure magic resistance (2) sounds nice but everyboy knows that so nobody will bother casting on them. that's why i prefer river trolls. don't underestimate their ability to vomit. it's quite usefull against armoured troops, it almost assures you some wounds in HtH.

what's hard with trolls is that you have to keep them close to your general. in an orc army it's not too bad since your have a Ld 9. it's much harder with gobbo since you only have Ld 6 so your troll will don nothing half the time.

Ganymede
06-08-2006, 20:34
What would you suggest instead?

For a long time I have fielded my army with Some wizards some warmachines alot of grunts a giant and some goblin cav....

I think you need some wizards but it definatly lessens the game if its all about magic!

Well one interesting build is a warboss, three shamans, and two big bosses. It provides a great central leadership, good magical offense and defense, and some leadership/combat support for units outside the general's radius.

Cpt. Drill
07-08-2006, 20:48
That does sound interesting...

My re-made goblin army is going to be themed around Skarsnik as I always liked him... and it only requires a few alterations to my curent army of adding a few dwarf beard plats to a few things...

Also it will have him leading it with gobbla...

Im am hoping that the lists wont be too limited because I would like to have skarsnik leading a unit of common goblins... (Hear me out!)

They would be armed with hand weapon and shield and feature lots of dwarf bits like chain mail and shields and the like so they would be the goblin elite.

Also skarsnik probobly knows that although fanatics are cunning.. they are also trouble! and his unit wouldnt have any in it!

Lardidar
07-08-2006, 21:10
Not sure if you all saw it on the other thread but Gobbo's are no longer going to get the extra hero slots in the new book.

If I could remember the thread I would link it.

EDIT - here it is, from Avians translation from a German GD roundup, kein goblin gargboss für jede 1000Pkt
-You don't get extra gobbo big bosses per 1000 pts in all-goblin armies.

Cpt. Drill
07-08-2006, 21:25
Tat will be upsetting..

Maybe you will get two per choice like skink cheiftens?

Lardidar
07-08-2006, 21:28
I would hope so, I didn't think extra heros with goblin stats to be too much of a bonus.

Cpt. Drill
07-08-2006, 21:48
I dont know.. my big boss with great weapon has done alot of damage in his time... but then again I didnt even bother buying him light armour so he gets lynched by grunts alot!

athamas
07-08-2006, 23:23
hmm with the development of the new night goblin spru's i am very tempted toget 2 WHFB started boxes and trade al the dwarves for gobbo's

then have a massed infantry horde... would be fun to see

Cpt. Drill
07-08-2006, 23:29
Dont forget to put you spare rule book on Ebay... I speculate they will go for between £10-£15 as the Battle of macragge did!

So you will be saving alot of money!

It is a bargin! I amagine we will see a fair few numbers of goblin armies starting up over the next few months!

laughingman
08-08-2006, 04:10
i run an army that has done very very well in the past, ive won many tournaments with it. The general is a fighter gobo, 3 lv 2 standard with ragedy red banner, 2 giants, well i dont want to give away the rest but i fear no fear with that roster. I won about 80 percent. lost one time to one plauage spreed into my whole army, it hurt, i lost.

DirtJumper
08-08-2006, 16:30
Getting the 2 extra Big Bosses is huge, as it lets you go magic heavy while still having the Standard Bearer and a general.

Sureshot05
08-08-2006, 18:19
I've gotta say though, as glad as I am to see the new NG armies, I'll be sorry to see them become more common.

The biggest drawback with a NG horde is not the models, the current regiment sets can sort that out, its painting and assembling them all.

Believe me, when you have filed the mold lines off of 300 NG's and then realise you still have a 150 bodies to glue, it can be the most painful moment you will have!

But painting them... Its taken me forever to get 150 painted, and i've still got 150 to go to reach my 1500 pt list!

Cpt. Drill
08-08-2006, 23:52
I've gotta say though, as glad as I am to see the new NG armies, I'll be sorry to see them become more common.

The biggest drawback with a NG horde is not the models, the current regiment sets can sort that out, its painting and assembling them all.

Believe me, when you have filed the mold lines off of 300 NG's and then realise you still have a 150 bodies to glue, it can be the most painful moment you will have!

But painting them... Its taken me forever to get 150 painted, and i've still got 150 to go to reach my 1500 pt list!

Dude.... I was determined to get my night goblins holding handweapons....

My god I almost died... Thankfully I had done a skaven and dwarf army befor so i was able to use their BIG HANDS and just swap spears for knives axes and hammers... But some goblins are plucky enough to have things like lizardman weapons some elf swords and a few other bits and bobs...

For my units I wanted a really raggedy look and feel to them so there are a few squigs and squig hoppers randomly sat in units along with some trolls and the odd goblin with a bow or spear or pitchfork or leg!

It really gives them a rabble feel!

Ork
21-08-2006, 15:27
What do most Night Goblin players feel is more effective, handweapons and sheilds or spears and sheilds? I know most would say they used spears because of the old models, but the new ones allow both. If you had a choice, what would you pick and why?

-Eli

corvo
22-08-2006, 04:01
Dude.... I was determined to get my night goblins holding handweapons....

My god I almost died... Thankfully I had done a skaven and dwarf army befor so i was able to use their BIG HANDS and just swap spears for knives axes and hammers... But some goblins are plucky enough to have things like lizardman weapons some elf swords and a few other bits and bobs...

I had the same problem when i wanted to field a lot of common goblins with just hand weapons. I ended up using a lot of orc spear heads as short swords and daggers.

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
22-08-2006, 14:09
Well I'm a goblin player and I have converter around 300 goblins to handweapons( night and common), I have a few units with spears to have some unit that have a lot of attacks.

Greetz
G