PDA

View Full Version : New to BB, starting a Khemri team

Anathema
02-08-2006, 17:02
Like the title says, I've not played Blood Bowl before and will be joining a league in a few weeks. I've decided on Khemri, mainly because I decided ages ago if I ever collected a Warhammer army, it would be them. Well I haven't got round to the WHFB army yet, so I thought I'd at least get them for BB.

Anyway, reasoning out of the way, what are their strengths and weaknesses? I don't suggestions for a team as I'll hopefully learn through my own mistakes, but people's views on what each player type does and what its good for would be greatly appreciated and helpful in my initial selection. So far I've either learnt that they're really good because Mummies brutalise the opposition, or that they're really bad because they're all really slow and have crap Agility. :confused:

cookiescrumble
02-08-2006, 17:29
They are a basher team, with rubbish AG, pass and catchs are very hard.

Quin 242
02-08-2006, 19:36
I'd suggest starting with a human team just to get the rules down. Humans are the baseline. they have OK armor and stats with a good selection of skills. They are like Marines in 40K the easiest to start with.
Khemri will not win many games. As stated they can't throw OR catch and running isn't thier strong point.

If you can bash enough bodies tho, then you can limp the ball in once or twice.

Jet
02-08-2006, 19:43
Defending: Spread your mummies across the field. Almost nothing easier than getting around a concentrated Khemri team.

Attacking: Keep your mummies in the vicinity of the ball carrier. Those skellies are just to make up the numbers, not to form the cage.

Try to keep your positionals(blitzers and throwers) spread around the line too, so their rare skills in your team can get anywhere they're needed. Expect casualties on both sides, too, but your skeletons will likely be cheaper to have as subs than his linemen.

cookiescrumble
02-08-2006, 20:39
I would recommend humans to start. Also sign up to FUMBBL.com.

Allows you to try teams without having to buy them.

Anathema
03-08-2006, 07:55
Well I've bought them anyway, losing a lot to begin with doesn't really bother me, I did it for 2 years in 40K and it made me a better player for it. However thanks for the advice guys. I'm guesing to pick the ball up I'd have to get a thro-ra not in any tackle zones and probably use a re-roll, then bash my way up the field with mummies and cheap assisting skeletons to overwhelm? I'm wondering how the hell I'll manage to make it up the field tbh what with the poor movement. Is there any point in trying to throw from thro-ra to thro ra? Or am I just better battering the opposition into submission and then wandering down field when there's no-one in my way?

cookiescrumble
03-08-2006, 08:19
Thats about it, use skeles to assist each other.

Ravening Wh0re
03-08-2006, 15:28
Hi. Most people on Warseer Fumbbl know I like to play Khemri the most :)

One thing you know is that the Agi will kill you. They can't be counted on to do anything remotely ball related.

I once spent a full half just trying to pick up the ball with my Thro-Ra and failing miserably everytime (perfect weather too):/

You tend to cage up even with skellies when on a run since mummies are so very slow :)

Your scoring players tend to be either your Thro-ra (able to pick up the ball, not worth throwing it) or your Blitz-ra (block, and faster)

On the defensive, keep a fair few players back. The team is too slow to react to a hole in defence and needs some deep players to counter.

Oh, when your Thro-ra gets a skill (always take the +stat) give him Block. The passing skills never seem to make him better anyway.

One more thing, if the ball is loose, SWAMP the ball with your players. Get as many tackle zones on it as you can. Don't let them pick it up!
You don't have to worry too much about things like positioning a player to catch the ball on a run since they're more than likely to drop it anyway.

the anti santa
04-08-2006, 13:29
Playing with Khemri is a bit dull and it's a real struggle to score even a 2 turn touchdown.
The best way to win the them is to give your opponent the ball at the start and smash him into the dirt, to either cause a turnover and stop him scoring or get him to score quickly.

Then score at the very end of the first half when you get the ball, smashing him as you go. You'll get the ball in the 2nd half and advance slowly whilst damaging your opponent as much as possible, only foul with skellies though. then score on turn 8 and you win 2-1 or 2-0 though you may not make many friends doing this.

Are you playing with version 5 of the LRB yet? Cos mummies need doubles to get block now.

Anathema
07-08-2006, 10:22
Thanks for all your replies. This is the team I'm thinking of taking to start a league with. Any ways it can be improved upon?

4 Mummies 440,000
2 Blitz-Ras 180,000
7 Skeletons 210,000
Fan Factor 3 30,000
2 Re-rolls 140,000

I was a bit worried about the low fan factor, but with the decreased importance of fan factor in raising revenue that there seems to have been going to the 5 ed, I'd rather have a few more skellies.

TAU AIR CASTE
07-08-2006, 13:19
you seriously need more fan factor! alot of people won't play you if it's that low as they will get next to no money and it's not worth the risk of them losing a player. Also you have no thrower to pick up the ball! I think you need to rethink your list. :)

Ravening Wh0re
07-08-2006, 15:13
Thanks for all your replies. This is the team I'm thinking of taking to start a league with. Any ways it can be improved upon?

4 Mummies 440,000
2 Blitz-Ras 180,000
7 Skeletons 210,000
Fan Factor 3 30,000
2 Re-rolls 140,000

I was a bit worried about the low fan factor, but with the decreased importance of fan factor in raising revenue that there seems to have been going to the 5 ed, I'd rather have a few more skellies.

Try and grab yourself a Thro-Ra. Someone has to pick up the ball :)
You may need to trim a Blitz-Ra for it though. I tend to use the Blitz-Ra (early games)as a deep safety in case anyone punches a whole in my defence.

Anathema
07-08-2006, 22:15
I used the following team in some warm up games for the league just by using what models I could represent (this was my first proper game of BB and was basically a learning game):

3 Mummies 330,000
2 Blitz-Ras 180,000
6 Skeletons 180,000
Thro-Ra 70,000
Fan Factor 3 30,000
3 Re-rolls 210,000

It worked pretty well, I drew one game 1-1 but caused quite a few injuries. I missed out on a TD purely because I was too intent on injuring his players and forgot that he might catch me. The mummies are ace, but to fit 4 in I'd have to lose the Thro-Ra or a re-roll. I could use the 4 mummy team by losing a re-roll, and the thro-ra and then have a FF of 6, but then I have no reserves. I'll have a think.
Or this:

4 Mummies 440,000
1 Blitz-Ra 90,000
7 Skeletons 210,000
1 Thro-Ra 70,000
Fan Factor 5 50,000
2 Re-rolls 140,000

The Blitz-ra never seemed to be that much better than a skeleton anyway and this way I have reserves for when my skeletons get KO'd or sent off.
Oh and Blood Bowl is top fun!

stormshaft
10-08-2006, 09:10
Anathema:

The second Line-up is probably the best one, as he might (hopefully) be able to pick up the extra blitz-ra after the game. In a clumsy team like this, it's great to have as many players with extra skills as possible.
This is the only team I would suggest getting 2 throwers as quick as humanly possible, to have far back on either side.

Me myself have played Khemri in a two-season run last year, and boy are they hard to play. Or rather hard to win with.
My tactic evolved around the Mummies, hopefully injuring so many players in the line of scrimmage that my opponent would have to start putting more valuable players there after each kick off, also, forming the cage is both good and bad.

The good side is, if the front of the cage is made up of mummies, nothing will break through.
The bad side is, as said, they are slower than snails. So I HAD to try to make a run for it as soon as I could, protecting the Throw-ra with the two blitzers as far as I could. (one of my thro-ra's has made 11 TD's)

But as we used the allied rules, I could take in a skaven gutter runner after a couple of games, so the thro-ra actually had a reciever to catch the passes.

With the Gutter runner, (called Roger Rabbit) my cage could roll up the pitch for 2-3 turns and the runner could break away and run for all of his worth.
(He now has block, pro, and +1 st, making him more of a survivor).

One of the keyes of the Khemri team is the regeneration skill. With it, it's not a big crisis of you get one of your skellies kicked good in the nuts, he will be back :D

Ravening Wh0re
10-08-2006, 12:32
One of the keyes of the Khemri team is the regeneration skill. With it, it's not a big crisis of you get one of your skellies kicked good in the nuts, he will be back :D

*hopefully* :D
I've lost too many Mummies to rely on this :)

Anathema
10-08-2006, 13:19
Well in the few games I've played, they seemed more at risk of being sent off due to my near constant attempt to foul:angel:
I think I'll go with option 2, I just need to wait for my mummies to arrive from eBay. First purchase will probably be a second Blitz-Ra, then I'll be good to go.

Red Skullz
10-08-2006, 20:05
Now I play orcs and have a pretty "hurt them bad" team myself. It`s worked fairly well in the league I play in until I met a HE team...they where so fast, and that dodge skill really messed things up for me. I just couldn`t get to grips with them. Seeing as blitzers are among my fastest players + they have the block skill they are invaluable for me when it comes to staying in deep and stopping the fastest opposition.

I can imagine you will have the same problem as you have more or less the same MA values as my orcs. 1 Blitz-Ra ain`t enough then ya know + the block skill is really good against Norse where every player has block. So ditch one mummy and get in a Blitz-Ra is my advice.

talast,
Red

stormshaft
10-08-2006, 22:02
@ ravening wh0re: Hahah :D Oh yes, those mummies are more fragile than the skellies! The first mummie getting 6 SP's got block, and died the first game thereafter >_< ouchy.
Buying a new mummie wasn't all that fun :D

Ravening Wh0re
11-08-2006, 03:17
@ ravening wh0re: Hahah :D Oh yes, those mummies are more fragile than the skellies! The first mummie getting 6 SP's got block, and died the first game thereafter >_< ouchy.
Buying a new mummie wasn't all that fun :D

I almost cried when my Frenzied Block Mummy died. He was resurrected but sans skills. Took me an age to save up enough to buy him back :/

Red Skullz
11-08-2006, 06:16
Now I don`t know you team rating RW but what I have been recommended is to try and get all of the starting 11 players at least with one skill each in addition to any skills or racial traits they have from the get-go. The reason why you`ve already said yourself ;)

stormshaft
11-08-2006, 08:14
Red skullz: so very true. I hade two main skeletons, one gaining block (Neptahr) and one +1 AG. And those boys saved me oh so many times (: When you're used to do evrything on a 4+ roll, a player with the possibilities to catch the ball on a 3+ makes the throwing/dodging/passing game a lot less complicated.

But as I said, i also had a gutter runner... so it wasn't impossible before.

Autobot HQ
11-08-2006, 12:25
poor frenzy mummy RW, how he die?

Ravening Wh0re
11-08-2006, 17:23
poor frenzy mummy RW, how he die?

Oh noes! Teh murderer is finds me! *runs away*