PDA

View Full Version : alternative to forgeworld terminator shields

etham
02-08-2006, 21:33
Hey everyone,

I had a flash of inspiration today and I had to share. As an alternative to the forgeworld terminator shields I have decided to make my own. Here are the materials I'm using:

1 birthday card
1 cylindrical container of powdered Kool-Aid mix with screw-off top
5 storm shields from the assault terminators box
super glue
x-acto knife
scissors
greenstuff

First I drew half of my shape onto the birthday card, lining the center of the shield up to the edge so that when you cut it out it unfolds to be symmetrical.

Then I used that as the template and cute out 7 more.

Then I glued the 7 shapes to the kool-aid container so that the shield gets the curve of the plastic.

Then I cut them out roughly with the knife and scissors.

Right now I am on the step of trimming the shapes. Note: this is difficult because the container is made of a type of plastic that the glue won't stick to well. I keep having to re-adhere the template to the plastic, but this will come in handy when I want to take the template off.

I will send pics when I am finished. I hope this is useful for people.

UnRiggable
02-08-2006, 22:45
Not sure if this is a money saver or a time waster, we'll see. Sounds like a great idea, need to check FW to check out the shields

etham
03-08-2006, 03:06
Well, I had considered getting the FW parts, but the amount of modification that I would have to make to get them even remotely in the realm of the dark angels seemed like a similat waste of time. Plus i have control over what these look like. I am considering making some that aren't tapered but more polygonal for my second squad.

etham
04-08-2006, 22:18
So here they are after trimming. I clamped them together and sanded them (hence the rough edge) so that they are all the same. Now I will clean up the flash on the edge and cover them in greenstuff. I think i am going to buy some extra shields on ebay so that I have the originals as backup just in case I screw this up or don't like it, so it may take me a little longer to get this done that I initially thought.

Time involved to date: 1.25 hours

The white one in the corner is the template and I included an original shield for a size comparison.

etham
04-08-2006, 22:19
it would help if I attached to photograph, wouldn't it. Sorry for the tripple post.

'Fex
04-08-2006, 22:50
Wow those really don't look that bad! As far as a $$ saver or waste of time, I'm going with $$ saver. I'm likin' how they're totally free to trick-out for your own chapter.

I'd like to see how they actually fit on their humble and ever-loving masters :chrome: :evilgrin: :evilgrin: