PDA

View Full Version : kasrkin or stromtroopers for =I= Daemonhunters

pestario
18-06-2005, 14:41
What is normally used for IST in a Daemonhunter army? The GW site advertises Kasrkins but I hear people using IG Stromtroopers as well.

The Stormtroopers are nice as they come in a blister of 3 as apposed to having to buy a $40 box.

I do have 2 boxes of Kasrkins but was thinking of using Stormtroopers to add another 2 squads of IST.

glimli
18-06-2005, 14:50
it doesnt matter. use whichever ones you want. personally i think the kasrkin models look much more badass.

The Inquisitor
18-06-2005, 14:53
They're all stormtroopers. I'd say use whatever strikes your fancy. No right or wrong here.

I personally like the Kasrkin for DH and planned to use them for a DH force- but it depends on your Tastes. I like the new ones, but haven't procured any as of yet. Perhaps this gives me an excuse to get some? :)

I already have a ton of the old type (no kidding... around 60+); I picked them up from people getting rid of squads... which has allowed me to build up a grenadier force. I think they fit rather well into my reg steel legion mechanized guard.

Good luck on your decision.

Angelus Mortis
18-06-2005, 15:34
There the same thing, GW just called them Kasrkin so as to add more confusion to the game. I personally prefer the old style Stormtroopers, but they both can look nice if you paint them well. My only wish is they would make a plastic box set of Stormtroopers, so as to pose them and convert them easier.

sigur
18-06-2005, 16:09
Personally, I'd use the old plastic stormtroopers or the metal ones, no Kasrkins. They don't really fit in my opinion. Too sleek, too "cool" for my likings.

Maxis Lithium
18-06-2005, 16:30
If you have an IG force, I would do one of two tings, keep using the same modles, if your IG and your Deamonhunters forces use a similer colour scheme. This will allow you to interchange your modles, without confusion. or, as I am doing, use one for one and the other for the other. You said you have a pair of Kaserkin units as is. If your using those in an IG force, then I would use standard Stormies for the Demon hunters. it becomes easier to tell them apaert, and gives the Demon hunters a lot more cohesive feeling to them.

The way I like to use Iquisition storm troopers, is put them in Rhinos, whith lots of Inquisition iconography on them. That gives them a vailance or armour and makes them look distinct on the table top.

Insane Psychopath
18-06-2005, 16:31
If you got plastic once great use them, but if you don't..... use Karsiken I just thing they look cooler & there easyer to paint in my view.

warlordgrubnatz
18-06-2005, 17:13
i us kasrikin for hardened veterans in my ig army, for a daemon hunter one its realy up to you but i would use storm troopers because they look less lik normal guardsmen.

EVIL INC
18-06-2005, 18:02
I dont really like either ones. I would probobly just convert reguler cadians by adding wires and stuff to the las-guns to make them hellguns.

Adept
18-06-2005, 18:17
I dont really like either ones. I would probobly just convert reguler cadians by adding wires and stuff to the las-guns to make them hellguns.

How can you not like the Kasrkin models?! Those are some of the sexiest models GW has ever produced!

Getz
18-06-2005, 18:18
For =I= Stormies I'd use the Stormtrooper metals, as opposed to the Kasrkin. The Kasrkin look great as "heavy" cadians, but the Stormies have a more "elite" feel to them.

malika
18-06-2005, 18:33
I prefere the Stormtroopers over the Kasrkin.

Witch Hunter
19-06-2005, 00:13
I use both, personally. Use a similiar colour scheme to unite them in your force(and your IG force if you play those as well ) if you are aesthetically pleased by both sets of models. Otherwise, I suggest choosing the ones which are your personal favorite.

Nazguire
19-06-2005, 00:21
I like both. The old ones I liked a lot as they looked really gritty and bad, ready to get the job done no matter the cost. The new ones look cool in a sleek futuristic Star Wars esque way, and the Kasrkin Sergeant is particularly cool looking. Brave soul he is, knowing he won't ever win a combat even with that power sword he has and still beckoning for the enemy. :D

Hymirl
19-06-2005, 00:40
I use the stormtroopers for my IST, although if given the chance to do it again I'd probably go with Kaserkin. Mainly because they can be mixed with cadians to make the varients you might want, (trying to convert one with a heavy bolter for an inquisitional retinue is still challenging my ablities, without chopping up numerous stormtooper sergeants)

Grumnir
19-06-2005, 01:48
Bah gotta dig up some old plastic mono-pose stormies!

Wearing a beret in the 41st millenium was a true sign of being a hard nut ;)

As for the current metal ones i do prefer the 'first' lot --> seem a lot more differentiated from other guardsmen whereas Kasrkin look, and should look, like upgunned cadians.

Shadowheart
19-06-2005, 10:10
It's a matter of what you like best or can get your hands on cheaply. For Daemonhunters I'd be inclined to go with the Kasrkin since they'll be fighting alongside big muscular, power-armoured Inquisitors and perhaps Grey Knights. The regular Stormtroopers seem better suited to Witch Hunters, having a grittier appearance.

I've got a bunch of the old beret-wearing Stormtroopers, but in order to use their heavy weapons I've counted them as IG veterans, which seems appropriate enough.

Bork
19-06-2005, 12:40
I use kasrkin for IST in my deamonhunters, but could equally well have used the older ones. They are both very nice models, but its the sergeants and special weapons avaible in blisters that made me choose karskin.

And when you use one as IST, the other kind makes great warrior henchmen!

EmperorsChamp01
19-06-2005, 21:41
Yea i would use the old Beret wearing stormies. Now those guys just scream inqusition. But i also like the Kaskrins. (crosses fingers) please make them plastic b4 i start my IG army.

Karhedron
20-06-2005, 11:36
At the end of the day, both types are perfectly valid to use. Just make your choice based on budget and personal preference for models. No one can tell you that they are not Inquisitorial Stormtroopers.

You could even use plastic Cadians with a bit of conversion work. Add plasticard for heavier armour and add Marine bolter scopes to the lasguns to represent hellguns.

Hymirl
20-06-2005, 20:16
You could even use plastic Cadians with a bit of conversion work. Add plasticard for heavier armour and add Marine bolter scopes to the lasguns to represent hellguns.

Ah the old lasgun with a lasersight, its almost twinlinked!

Red Scorpion
21-06-2005, 21:18
I think that the Stormtroopers look more like regular guard, whilst the Kasrkin seem more down to business...
Either look good as =][= Stormtroopers, I personally use the Stormtroopers(some upgrading needs to be done though.) but I hope to add to these with Kasrkin some time soon...
Chris

pestario
22-06-2005, 00:20
I do think the Karskins would be more fittting now looking at them but I can get some stormtroopers relativly cheap.

Just thinking it might look dumb if 2 units of IST are karsikins and 2 units are Stormtroopers.

Witch Hunter
22-06-2005, 03:22
I do think the Karskins would be more fittting now looking at them but I can get some stormtroopers relativly cheap.

Just thinking it might look dumb if 2 units of IST are karsikins and 2 units are Stormtroopers.

I think it depends on the story you put behind them. My mixed IST units are due to one unit(Kasrkin) being a permanently attached force to my Inquisitor Lord's retinue(thus the glitzier gear, etc.), the other squads being requisitioned troops from the nearest Ordo Hereticus garrison in time of need.

Praetorian
22-06-2005, 09:33
I want to find some of those first old baret heads and mix and match with the new K-guys (plastics are easier to muck with). Build my own unique ones then.

Brother Noirceuil
22-09-2006, 07:40
What is normally used for IST in a Daemonhunter army? The GW site advertises Kasrkins but I hear people using IG Stromtroopers as well.

The Stormtroopers are nice as they come in a blister of 3 as apposed to having to buy a $40 box.

I do have 2 boxes of Kasrkins but was thinking of using Stormtroopers to add another 2 squads of IST.

Do you mean, Kasrkin blisters? I remember checking the GW online store and the "normal IG" style Stormtroopers were a bit more expensive if you were trying to put together a full squad.

I have seen both versions, as well as the "Classic" style Inquisition ST miniatures (with the berets).

I think a mixture of all three would be neat. I sometimes want to pick up some Necromunda Enforcer models to really have a more eclectic feel to my Inquisition troops. The only problem is the Enforcer models come with weapon options that ST are not allowed to field normally (i.e. bolters / shotguns, etc.). These would usually only be upgradable options for a veteran sergeant.

I like my Kasrkin models. They make good bullet-catchers :)

xibo
22-09-2006, 08:47
I play guard and use both, the kasakin as kasakin and stormtroopers as... well stormtroopers. the difference between them is that kasakin, that were introduced in the eye of terror campaign and are now called grenadiers, may not infiltrate or deepstrike, but count as troops choice while stormtroopers are elite ( for guard ). Thanks to GW for not mentioning anywhere in the guard codex that kasakin actualy are grenadiers, noone will know/remember about that in some not so distant future and use kasakin for whatever they want to ( stormtroopers, snipers, hardened vets, command platton, special weapon teams, carapanced infantry, ... ).
If I was to start collecting guard or inquisition nowadays, I would only use kasakin though, because i simply like the models better.
For WYSIWIG terms it doesn't matter what models you use as inquisational stormtroopers, because they have intentical stats and options ( besides that guard grenadiers or st pay less for their vetsarge and grenade launcher than inq-st ).

Inq. Veltane
22-09-2006, 11:09
It doesn't look dumb for an inquisitorial force to be eclectic. In fact it looks pretty good. An Inquisitor will draw forces from wherever he can. I have Guard units drawn from gangs, various regiments and so forth... I have a couple of squads of Dragoons (Kasrkin models) and a couple of squads of STs... Which I use depends on which of my many Inquisitors are fighting. Inquisitorial forces should be full of variety and unusual choices...

AtlantianWarrior
22-09-2006, 11:56
I use Kasrkin for my IST. For two reasons. First they are metal. I like metal models over plastic ones. Second. I do not have to convert them. They are WYSIWYG.

Hicks
22-09-2006, 13:42
I use metal Storm Troopers in both my DH force and my IG army, even though they are often used as grenadiers in my IG. I chose to use only one kind because I sometimes field an all Storm Troopers army and it looks more cohesive that way. 90 Storm Troopers, some infiltrating, some deep striking and the rest in Chimeras, supported by Armageddon pattern Sentinels and Heavy Weapon platoons ain't as bad an army as you might think.

sneb
22-09-2006, 20:55
I use kasirkin in my DH force mainly becuase I bought the respirator conversion set for cadians from FW... so it makes the =][= stormtroopers look cohesive to their expendable counterpart

jfrazell
22-09-2006, 22:18
Yes that is a very nice conversion set.

Another option, if money is less of an object, is Vostroyans with those same Cadian heads. Gives a more eclectic feel to your IG troopers.