PDA

View Full Version : Are they bring out new Ork boyz????

Insane Psychopath
18-06-2005, 16:33
Hi

As we know there going to be a new Codex Ork soon. Also there going to be new trukker models/tanks.

My qustion is do any of you lot know if there doing new Ork Boyz????

It just if they are bring out new ork models then I will wait, but if they still useing the boyz that are out now, then I can start my new Speed Freaks/Blood Axe army

Dose any one know, any info

Thanks

malika
18-06-2005, 16:34
Well not any time soon...I think they are doing the Eldar codex before the Ork Codex...so probably wait another year or 2...3

Insane Psychopath
18-06-2005, 16:49
Ork are due out for 2006

Sorry just I have been talk to a lot of my GW contact & all say Ork early 2006.

It just to know as I don't want to buy ton of model only to find out there better once coming out .

Thanks

Baggers
18-06-2005, 17:01
Orks early 2006 might be pushing it, but I expect we wont be seeing new ork boys anytime soon, more likely a retooling of the sprue lid the nids.

warlordgrubnatz
18-06-2005, 17:20
these are my predictions:
new models:
- a plastic battle wagon
-ork ard boyz skar boyz etc
-the boyz set will include plastic special weapons and you will be able to use them for boyz/ stikk bommas.
- plastic grotz
- a painboss+ big mek
- a plastic warboss kit like the space marine commander
- new vehicle sets inc a vehicle accesory sprue

in the codex:
- the addition of gunwagonz/ flakwonz
- a traits systm like in codex space marines or the klan rules

Great Harlequin
18-06-2005, 21:07
I think the Ork release date has been pushed back somewhat. As the Black Templars are out next, followed up by the Tau and then Eldar. This doesn't seem to leave enough room for an entire Ork range to be made. They may redo a couple of the sqauds but I doubt there will be a new Ork codex coming for a long time. So I'd say for 99% certain that it won't be 2006.

Insane Psychopath
18-06-2005, 21:11
warlordgrubnatz these are my predictions:
new models:
- a plastic battle wagon
-ork ard boyz skar boyz etc
-the boyz set will include plastic special weapons and you will be able to use them for boyz/ stikk bommas.
- plastic grotz
- a painboss+ big mek
- a plastic warboss kit like the space marine commander
- new vehicle sets inc a vehicle accesory sprue

in the codex:
- the addition of gunwagonz/ flakwonz
- a traits systm like in codex space marines or the klan rules

Cool that what I need. So I can go a head then & buy Ork boys with out fear of re buying them. Don't worry only the Skar boy will have spicl weapon.

As for the clan yep I got told that.

With the release date I'm not being mean or anything but got to rememeber Ork came out before Eldar. Only thing to do is wait. Just this is what all my contact for HQ & other please have told me right now.

But just have to wait & see.

But thank for the part info that exsacly (sp) what I was looking for.

IP

salty
18-06-2005, 21:42
Hmm, whether or not those things will be amde Grubnatz I don't know. It looks more like my wish-list of what I hope they will make. And the Codex, according to the guys on theWaaagh! forums, has been pushed back to mid-2007.

Salty :)

Great Harlequin
18-06-2005, 21:45
And the Codex, according to the guys on theWaaagh! forums, has been pushed back to mid-2007.

Salty :)
That sounds a little more realistic. However, I personally feel they could be released pushing toward the end of 2007 to the start of 2008 :(

philbrad2
18-06-2005, 21:49
ENGEL hinted at there being a lot of emphasis on Orks in the background of the BT Codex draft he had. Its of course a sumation but there have been rumours of modular plastic Ork vehicles and possible the Ork vehicles going to the style we've seen in DoW. There's been a rumour the Orks will be a new plastic Battlewagon too. I think the Ork Boyz currently are fine and I wouldn't expect a great deal of change to them. Bri Nelson's Orks are very cool I personally dont see much need for new Ork infantry. The vehicles are currently the weakest link in what I think are one of the most sorted forces in 40K.

:chrome:

my_name_is_tudor
18-06-2005, 22:53
Brian's Orks are very nice yes, but there is one thing I think needs changing with them. Ball and socket style joints, or some similar joint, whereby the arms can move forwards and backwards. At the moment we get orks with their arms stuck out parallel to one another.

Rabid Bunny 666
18-06-2005, 23:37
but they're not that hard to convert, my dad has an excellent method, i'll explain tomorrow

Witch Hunter
19-06-2005, 00:32
ENGEL hinted at there being a lot of emphasis on Orks in the background of the BT Codex draft he had. Its of course a sumation but there have been rumours of modular plastic Ork vehicles and possible the Ork vehicles going to the style we've seen in DoW. There's been a rumour the Orks will be a new plastic Battlewagon too. I think the Ork Boyz currently are fine and I wouldn't expect a great deal of change to them. Bri Nelson's Orks are very cool I personally dont see much need for new Ork infantry. The vehicles are currently the weakest link in what I think are one of the most sorted forces in 40K. :chrome:

From what I understand, alot of the preliminary work has already been completed on the new Orks, which from Engel's information would seem to be correct. I was also told by Phil Kelly at GD Atlanta that while the Ork 'dex was "close", it may end up being pushed back in the schedule significantly due to sculpting or production schedules or the like.

As far as as the weakest link in the Ork model line, IMHO, it has to be the bikes. The trukks, buggies, and trakks are all ok, but the bikes are just plain awful.

My two pence...

Nazguire
19-06-2005, 01:07
From what I understand, alot of the preliminary work has already been completed on the new Orks, which from Engel's information would seem to be correct. I was also told by Phil Kelly at GD Atlanta that while the Ork 'dex was "close", it may end up being pushed back in the schedule significantly due to sculpting or production schedules or the like.

As far as as the weakest link in the Ork model line, IMHO, it has to be the bikes. The trukks, buggies, and trakks are all ok, but the bikes are just plain awful.

My two pence...

Agreed, the vehicles and bikes are so bad its unholy.

Properly proportion Models GW guys! Proper proportions!!!

I would like to see new Warbosses that aren't in Mega Armour. While good, they can be better.

Plastic Grots...oh god please, the old ones (while cool in a wimpy kind of way) are still something most Ork players buy. Time for some lovin for the Ork players.

Dakkagor
19-06-2005, 02:02
Plastic grotz would plug a huge hole in the ork range, especially if they had a "toolz+surgery+gunz bitz" section, so you could make grot riggers, grot oilers, grot orderlies, and ammo runtz.

Samoth
19-06-2005, 05:38
Orks after black templars would make enourmous sense, as black templars and orks are long time rivals... And imo, orks need new models, if not new rules, more than eldar.

To me, only thing wrong with eldar are the jetbikes and some aspects. Whereas all the ork vehicles and bikes need a re-haul, because they are just simply, well, horrible.

Spacejens
19-06-2005, 08:51
I have one unit of plastic grots made from a Night Goblins regiment, converted to have the guns from a GorkaMorka grot weapons blister. A little fiddly, but it works great.

As for the vehicles, I couldn't agree more. Some of them are really awful. The buggies are OK, but the bikes, trukks, and (to a lesser degree) the wartrakks need to be updated. And kits for larger vehicles would be a plus.

Insane Psychopath
19-06-2005, 09:32
With the tank/trukk being new that is turn. It my friend where down that heat 2 of UK GT 40k & there was senimer (sp), the person did say there defo making that.

I say with the ork... it'll be like the Marine Tactic box when you think about it with the new spures. Old model but new srpure.

I'll be asking down that HQ when I go to the UK GT as there a lot people I know down there.

I got 200 of the old Grot (palstci) for the 2nd 40k box game (well people just bought me them for x-mas but they are cool)

Great Harlequin
19-06-2005, 09:53
To me, only thing wrong with eldar are the jetbikes and some aspects. Whereas all the ork vehicles and bikes need a re-haul, because they are just simply, well, horrible.
Luckily for Eldar players the Aspect Warriors are getting redone. Each aspect has/will be modelled with a certain Martial art involved. But I agree the Ork vehicles definately need a rehaul. They are atrocious to say the least.

sigur
19-06-2005, 13:16
I'd love to see alternative Ork infantry sprues with somewhat less archaic clothes. I'd like to see some uniforms again, a bit of equipment, etc. All in all, making everything look less ....like taken straight from the trashyard.

Insane Psychopath
19-06-2005, 13:19
sigur I'd love to see alternative Ork infantry sprues with somewhat less archaic clothes. I'd like to see some uniforms again, a bit of equipment, etc. All in all, making everything look less ....like taken straight from the trashyard

That a good point I would like to see them doing a Clan spure for each clan.

I'll defo try see what I can find out when I go to the UK GT heat try get info there.

philbrad2
19-06-2005, 16:37

My two pence...

I include the bikes in the term 'vehicles' Witch Hunter the Gorkamorka trukks have been an excellent source of vehicles for my firend Ork army. Yes those bikes are bad.

[quote]sigur I'd love to see alternative Ork infantry sprues with somewhat less archaic clothes. I'd like to see some uniforms again, a bit of equipment, etc. All in all, making everything look less ....like taken straight from the trashyard [quote]

One thing I loike about Orks has been the ability to mix and match from the WHFB range with 40K Orks, Got a load of Fantasy Orcs form the speed building at UKGD last year *ahem* for the combat patrol Ork force me and my sons run. Give them 40K stylie weapons and they look the biz.

Bork
19-06-2005, 23:26
One thing I loike about Orks has been the ability to mix and match from the WHFB range with 40K Orks, Got a load of Fantasy Orcs form the speed building at UKGD last year *ahem* for the combat patrol Ork force me and my sons run. Give them 40K stylie weapons and they look the biz.

If GW where to redesign 40k orks drastically, fantasy orks would probably follow. (pure speculation, so dont trust a word of what Im saying :) ) So if GW isnt planning anything for fantasy at the same time, it will probably only be a minor "facelift" like the SM tac squad.

Bikers arent the weakest link IMO since they are not really necesary in an Ork army. Trukks are however greatly usefull in most armies.

Insane Psychopath
20-06-2005, 08:24
I say biker do need a change tho. Been out before I start this hobby & that been 9 years.

But any more info???

charlie_c67
20-06-2005, 10:36
Shorter time than the SM bike and a lot of the Eldar range then....

But seriously, all the vehicles look too solid and not at all orky. The whole point of ork vehicles IMO is that they should look rickety with bits just bolted on here and there, like they're equally held together by the belief of the ork as well as the Mek's handiwork. There's a thread in the background forum about it.

Nazguire
20-06-2005, 11:05
Shorter time than the SM bike and a lot of the Eldar range then....

But seriously, all the vehicles look too solid and not at all orky. The whole point of ork vehicles IMO is that they should look rickety with bits just bolted on here and there, like they're equally held together by the belief of the ork as well as the Mek's handiwork. There's a thread in the background forum about it.

That background about 'Orky belief' is in my opinion ridiculous. It is inconsistent in the background so much that it is not worth including. For instance the Space Wolf Priest using their weaponry, the Ork Hunters using shootas and their weaponry without trouble etc.

I can picture their vehicles solid. But I can't picture it too stable as you say so. I like the look of the current ones bar their size, shoddy drivers and weapon models. Just need detail touch-ups.

charlie_c67
20-06-2005, 11:51
Personally I prefer the old metal ones that were out back in the day.

Rich
20-06-2005, 16:42
The DoW development guys are quoted as saying that their units in DoW were used as inspiration for new GW models - to my mind, this means the Ork range (as we have seen nothing new for SMs and Chaos and Eldar weren't different to how they are currently really). Personally, I still hold out for Orks as early 2006, in line with the adversary theory. Especially since we know that GW have been working on ork vehicles for a while now, and the codex doesn't need too much work done to it.

Speculation for models would be :

Plastic Grots
Battlewagon, truks and traks (the combined vehicle kit)
Bikes
A few new metal figs - docs, big mek, maybe a new warboss, kommandos

Sir_Turalyon
20-06-2005, 19:18
sigur I'd love to see alternative Ork infantry sprues with somewhat less archaic clothes. I'd like to see some uniforms again, a bit of equipment, etc. All in all, making everything look less ....like taken straight from the trashyard

Signing it with both my hands. While current sprue is good to represent "gorker" orks (including goffs, dethskullz and snakebites) there should be alternative sprue to represent "morker"orks - blood axes, evil sunz and bad moons included. These morker orks should wear clothing instead of leather underwear; uniform-style clothing would be good if they were not at all similiar.

the_fufu
21-06-2005, 06:23
The ork's army needs to change 2 things :
-Change truk / trak / and buggy model !
-New motos !

I think the new codew would relaese at the end 2006 / start 2007....We would wait, but it will be ok as soon as we would get it...

Insane Psychopath
21-06-2005, 08:21
The Trukk & Battle tank are getting new model. It the Trukk been out since Gorkamorka days. It like the Termies for Marine they where out for how long & it was time for change... so yeah they will for 100% be change.

EffCee
25-06-2005, 12:09
Though not essential, plastic Killa Kans/Mega Armour Orks would be nice.

Mojaco
25-06-2005, 17:03
Although it's fun to dream about what will one day come, I wouldn't hold my breath for a new codex. Yes, it is old, but it's still functional. Since Orks and Eldar are both HUGE releases, and Eldar are the more pathetic of the two (elements that are way overpowered and elements that never see battle), I don't expect orks for a long time.

Predictions sound realistic and in line with what GW has done sofar. Especially the trait-like system would be cool, but do remember that Tyranids, after starting that tradition, are the first codex out after that to not have a system as such (not counting witch- and daemonhunters, for obvious reasons). I'm not expecting that to be the new trend (they just didn't need it), but just don't get your hopes up too much that every codex will have a customizable rules-set.

Brizzle
26-06-2005, 17:22
A black shirt at my local GW store believes that they will pull a total revamp for the orks. This entails treatment similar to what GW did to the wood elves: pulling all product from the shelves and totally redoing the product line. Normally, I would be skeptical of what is said by any employee at a GW store, but I tend to place a higher opinion upon what is said by this particular employee due to his close ties to the LA bunker.
Although it seems unlikely to me that they would remove a race like the Orks from the shelves, we will see when the orks are coming well in advance.

Great Harlequin
26-06-2005, 17:25
A black shirt at my local GW store believes that they will pull a total revamp for the orks.
I am led to believe quite the opposite. I think only a few of the Ork figures will be redone.

Brizzle
26-06-2005, 17:28
I actually agree with you. Most of the Ork range is fine. What really needs to be changed are the vehicles. New Kommandos and Skarboyz would be nice. Plastic Nobz and Warboss would be a dream, but highly unlikely. Oh, and please plastic Grotz.

boogle
26-06-2005, 19:16
definatley New Kommandos and Skarboys, plus Flash Gitz and Freebooterz

Nazguire
28-06-2005, 11:47
definatley New Kommandos and Skarboys, plus Flash Gitz and Freebooterz

I'd like to ask what are Freebooterz first.

Then I'd like to agree with thee, Kommandos, Skarboys and Flash Gitz DO deserve their own models or at least a seperate sprue to individualise them. yes the Orks are the army of conversions but give the collector a break! :cries:

boogle
28-06-2005, 12:36
Freebooterz are Orky Pirates

Senbei
28-06-2005, 13:48
Arr! Avast Ye!

Yup, Freebooterz are needed... But - I feel they'd make a better 'mini-codex' than just a single new unit....... alla Orky Daemon Hunters....... Just... without the Daemons.

Karhedron
28-06-2005, 14:26
Speculation for models would be :

Plastic Grots
I doubt it sadly. Apparently it took years for the studio to push through plastic Terminators because they had to make a financial case for them. Grots sell in much smaller quantities than Terminators so I doubt they will be done in plastic for a while.

Battlewagon, truks and traks (the combined vehicle kit)
I think this is pretty much a given.

Bikes
Like the space Marines, they will probably redo the rider but leave the bike pretty much alone.

A few new metal figs - docs, big mek, maybe a new warboss, kommandos
Sounds about right. Considering that Black Templars are rumoured to be getting 3 or 4 ne Chaplains as part of their range, I can easily see Orks getting some new HQs. The current Warbosses are pretty nice, it is only the others that need doing IMHO.

boogle
28-06-2005, 14:50
isn't the problem though the fact that grots are in metal int he 1st place?, if they went into plastic they would sell more i would guess

charlie_c67
28-06-2005, 15:02
Would be an interesting point for GW to consider. Bit of market research needed there methinks. I mean, how many people are going to be buying fexes now they're plastic and have multiple options?

boogle
28-06-2005, 15:08
bet they are one of the biggest non SM sellers of the year, i for one woudl probably buy some grots, if i was to do an Ork army, plus it will make the battleforce a lot more interesting:
16 Boyz (18)
20 Grots (18)
3 Bikes (15)
Vehicle Kit (20)

Dead orc
28-06-2005, 15:51
If they do plastic Grots I would buy soo many of em. ATM it costs the same to buy a box of goblins and some necromunda weapon sprue's to arm them with as it does to buy them in blister packs. well, 1 difference.

Warlord Gnashgrod
28-06-2005, 19:38
Well, you could always try to find old 2nd Ed Grots. They were made by GW and are still usuable. they may not be the best looking models, but they're cheap. I use them myself.

Avian
28-06-2005, 20:20
Grots sell in much smaller quantities than Terminators so I doubt they will be done in plastic for a while.
Silly logic. A lot of the reason something doesn't sell much is often that the current minis are either 1) ugly as sin, and/or 2) damn expensive.

The question is: How many would we sell if we gave people nice minis at nice prices?

Insane Psychopath
28-06-2005, 20:47
Grot are one of the best cannon fodder. Come on 5+ cover save for your boyz.

I think it would be great if they where multi part grot.. just like the gobbline for Orger from fantasy

boogle
28-06-2005, 21:03
the gnoblaras aren't really multi part, only the heads are seperate

Insane Psychopath
28-06-2005, 21:07
Come on.. it the only exsample I can think of. But still be cool if the made new Grot like it make them ethe very funny or what ever you want.

Ohh wait sorry I for got about the Goblines (sp) for WFB... come I don't play WFB.

PKAGustov
28-06-2005, 21:21
I'd like to see Blood Axes take IG "advisors" and vice-versa. Now that would take things back to 1st/early 2nd ed.

CassiusDraconis
28-06-2005, 22:11
I actually agree with you. Most of the Ork range is fine. What really needs to be changed are the vehicles. New Kommandos and Skarboyz would be nice. Plastic Nobz and Warboss would be a dream, but highly unlikely. Oh, and please plastic Grotz.

I would say that there is a good likelyhood of them making some new accessory sprues with some extra parts like they did with the space marines. I don't think the Nobs and Warbosses would be all that unlikely, I think the plastic Dreadnought models are a good example of there being a case for them being made. Defintely Ork Dreads and Killa Kans are needed in plastic.

hood_oz
29-06-2005, 00:27
Defintely Ork Dreads and Killa Kans are needed in plastic.

Kans yes, dreads, not so much.
You need several killa kans for an army, but not as many dreads.

Extras on sprue. They might re-cut the boyz sprue to have the special weapons like the SM range. And I hope they add some grot oilers on the vehicle sprues.

I can see the importance of plastic gretchin, and everyone has been asking for them. As well as new vehicles of course.

The rumour of Orkz by Jan 06 is in my opinion fanciful, but they may get a vehicle release to keep you happy in the lead up. Like the wave serpent came out on its own.

Extra goodies on the sprue will more than likely make for interesting bitz. I can see them adding enough to make them cover most of the range of orkz, and with the inclusion of an extra plastic sprue, we may get all the other squads.

I for one am hoping for a box set of the trukk boyz. One vehicle with a squad of boyz. It will make purchasing my evil sunz speed freek army much simpler. (my army is due for an update and getting new miniatures with upgraded vehicles would be lovely)

plastic bosses, not likely.

Sashu
29-06-2005, 03:32
http://images.google.com/images?q=Ork%20Trukk&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&sa=N&tab=wi
A google of Ork Trukks.
GW Trucks that are "normal" = 3
Trukks that are strongly converted = 3
GW pictures were not counted.

What is my point? Ork are a strange army... they are no longer a normal GW army. Ork players don't convert their vehicles, they rebuild them. Why, the Ork vehicles are
poor. They are like canned baked beans, on their own they are crap... but if you know what you are doing you can make some changes.... errr... throw most of it out, and remake it into some thing nice and Orky. Now if GW makes new trukks people will play Orks for what is there, not as they do now, for their potential. If GW made a good trukk most ork armies would field them. The thing is, alot of the zest and flavor of orks would be lost. Orks would become canned. A zap gun has to be this gun, it wouldn't be acceptable to say "Those Lascannons, those are looted and count as Zap guns... and well... so do those multilasers." You take away that freedom and there wouldn't be the high concentrations of gem such as there are now. I mean take a look at some of these.

Here
http://www.ifelix.co.uk/phosf1-1.html
Here
http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=8213
From http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12487
http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=8157
From http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12438
And
http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12212
Please note that these are my opinions, and only mine. The peoples vehicles are just examples of creativity.

So, well, IMO I don't think they should really bother to remake the Vehicles. It would hurt the glory of orks. Skarboyz, sure, Grots, sure, the infantry could use remaking... but remake something other than the vehicles. And keep the Orks independence from "must be this" limitations.

Brizzle
29-06-2005, 04:04
The problem with the current Ork vehicles is that they are way out of scale. They are based on the old editions wih smaller minis. Just look at the drivers. Hopefully, they will actually release the Ork multi-vehicle kit which should create lots of freedom in modelling Ork vehicles.

the spook
29-06-2005, 06:54
My thoughts on new plastic grots are this:

Given that the grots are supposed to be unpopular to sell, but a core of a proper ork army much like say - rippers or scarabs for instance - the smart thing to do would be to include a grot or two on the ork boyz sprue, as well as with your new trukks and bike etc.

After enough purchases to fill out 1500 - 2000 pts of orks, you'd probably probably have enough grots to fill out a squad. Then all you have to do is buy a slaver.

lordmetroid
29-06-2005, 07:09
I hate that Idea... It's as annoying as the previous tyranid range. 8 termies 8 hormies in one box, what the! My brother had to buy double the amount of gaunts to properly build his army, he also planned to have lots of rippers. HA! Only a minimum sized ripper swarm could be done after all what he bought. It's stupidity!

Grot
29-06-2005, 08:47
If they do grots... all I hope is that they keep them the same size as their current metal counterparts, and give them ball-and-socket joint shoulders, like zombies and skeletons, instead of the flat... well, jointless shoulders, like goblin sprues. Imagine how much easier it would be to model a grot hanging onto / off of something, climbing, dragging, pushing, loading, reaching, or whatever, if he's not as big / bulky as an ork, and if you could rotate his arm all over the place without having to resort to greenstuff. Grots are certainly supposed to be thin enough for a zombie-esque sprue, but... knowing GW, any new models (of any kind) will end up being much bigger and over-the-top than the older ones, assumably because it makes them more expens... impressive. Well, as long as the plastic grots don't go night-goblin and go for the hands big enough to crush a man's torso, it should be fine.

And while I'm on my soapbox, I hope that GW realizes not every ork player is a speed-freaks player, wants to be a speed-freaks player, or even likes the speed-freeks. Some people actually like hordes of footsloggers. (As far as I know, AKA 'Gorkers'). I hope they don't forget about the legendary 'green seas' of the orks themselves while they're busy dreaming up some fantastic vehicle kit that will change the way orks are collected.

And finally, I don't know how relevant this will be, ever, but even if it barely comes up as a sidenote in a line of fluff, please, please let GW remember why ork 'stompas' are called STOMPERS. It's not because of tank-tracks. Those would be 'rollas'. Tank tracks do not stomp. I don't care how the model looks. Gargants, especially stompa gargants, walk, or 'stomp'; they do not, and should not, ever roll. I really, really hope somebody remembers that in order to stomp, to actually STOMP on something like say, puny infantry soliders, stomp all over the battlefield, stomp around, etc., you need a pair of, oh, I don't know, FEET. NOT a pair of freaking TANK TRACKS.

[/] GW Hates the fluff rant. With a capital H.

boogle
29-06-2005, 08:51
My thoughts on new plastic grots are this:

Given that the grots are supposed to be unpopular to sell, but a core of a proper ork army much like say - rippers or scarabs for instance - the smart thing to do would be to include a grot or two on the ork boyz sprue, as well as with your new trukks and bike etc.

After enough purchases to fill out 1500 - 2000 pts of orks, you'd probably probably have enough grots to fill out a squad. Then all you have to do is buy a slaver.

that seem like a good idea but for one thing, that woudl mean a complete reworking of the Ork sprues and i don't think they are going to invest that much time in doing that to be honest

hood_oz
30-06-2005, 00:12
that seem like a good idea but for one thing, that woudl mean a complete reworking of the Ork sprues and i don't think they are going to invest that much time in doing that to be honest

Recutting a sprue is cheaper in development cost than making a completely new one. And the ork sprue is fairly old, so they could justify the cost of the update of the sprue. Especially as they are re-visiting so much of the plastics range.

plastic gretchin on the ork sprue, will probably happen if the sprue is re-cut, or they may add a special weapon / command sprue to the set. (which could have the gretchin on it)

I can see an ork or two, and gretchin being on the vehicle sprue.

But honestly, a lot of people have been asking for a dedicated gretchin sprue. It is in character to have squads of gretchin out front as ablative armour, to clear minefields, and the rest. I honestly dont want to use goblins as they dont have the right look for gretchin. Fingers crossed, but not holding breath. Just like gargoyles. Maybe next time around in v5 of 40k.

I dont think a vehicle kit will make players all have the same looking army.
They are still orks, and the gamers will convert and do strange things to them.

The B.O.V. kit or the multi-function kit will be a godsend, if they can get it working correctly. Perhaps it will just be lots of parts and stuff, allowing you to build a trakk, a trukk, or buggy. Hopefully, but again, we must wait and see. I am certainly happy to wait a little bit longer to see what they have in store.

boogle
30-06-2005, 07:55
I believe that they will go so far as allowing you to make a Battlewagon out of the kit

hood_oz
01-07-2005, 02:12
I believe that they will go so far as allowing you to make a Battlewagon out of the kit

Previously the plan was to be able to combine sets. One set makes a buggy, two a trukk, three a battlewagon.

These days I think the plan is to make a generic chassis to build upon, and with the addition of parts, make the various vehicles.

Wether it is one set for everything, or a set for the battlewagon, and a smaller set for everything else, well thats yet to be seen.

Rumours are appearing of an orky release in the new year, the possibility of it being a vehicle kit are being bandied around. WHo knows, this might actually come to light soon, as six month rumour window closes in on the january releases.... NOT the codex, but a ork related release. Miniature or vehicle is the best bet. IF it is true, and not some glue addled GW developer giving out red herrings again. (which in fact could be a great way of getting feedback on possible development stuff and if it is panned heavily, they dont make it, otherwise it gets the green light for starting development)

Hmmmm, I come across as a complete conspiracy theorist there... shame on me.

Nazguire
01-07-2005, 09:41
Previously the plan was to be able to combine sets. One set makes a buggy, two a trukk, three a battlewagon.

These days I think the plan is to make a generic chassis to build upon, and with the addition of parts, make the various vehicles.

Wether it is one set for everything, or a set for the battlewagon, and a smaller set for everything else, well thats yet to be seen.

Rumours are appearing of an orky release in the new year, the possibility of it being a vehicle kit are being bandied around. WHo knows, this might actually come to light soon, as six month rumour window closes in on the january releases.... NOT the codex, but a ork related release. Miniature or vehicle is the best bet. IF it is true, and not some glue addled GW developer giving out red herrings again. (which in fact could be a great way of getting feedback on possible development stuff and if it is panned heavily, they dont make it, otherwise it gets the green light for starting development)

Hmmmm, I come across as a complete conspiracy theorist there... shame on me.

The idea of 1 set: Buggy, 2=Trukk and 3=Battlwagon would be ridiculous as it would cost (knowing GW's prices) a fortune....at the moment the Trukk's and Buggy's are quite cheap but that is due to their smaller size and lack of conversion bits...with GW's trend towards sticking everything and their mothers in the boxes these days, 50 dollars AU being the standard price for a Transport, I'm looking at 150 dollars AU if I want a battlewagon...or 100 for a Trukk :eek: :eek:

magos_mechanicus
10-07-2005, 13:58
The idea of 1 set: Buggy, 2=Trukk and 3=Battlwagon would be ridiculous as it would cost (knowing GW's prices) a fortune....at the moment the Trukk's and Buggy's are quite cheap but that is due to their smaller size and lack of conversion bits...with GW's trend towards sticking everything and their mothers in the boxes these days, 50 dollars AU being the standard price for a Transport, I'm looking at 150 dollars AU if I want a battlewagon...or 100 for a Trukk :eek: :eek:

If they did that, it's be cheaper to buy an imperial vehicle (even a Land Raider) to form a chassis for a battlewagon. Making 'one kit fits all (or even most)' ork vehicle/player requirements is a big task, cuz no matter what they release, a good proportion of ork players won't be happy with it. They would be better off releasing kits that are a bit more like the old 'Gorkamorka' conversion kits that were a big bag of assorted vehicle sprues, so you could stick 'em together however you saw fit. that's what I've resorted to (A box of Boyz for crew, Imperial tank wheel sprues, track sprues wheel sprues and plasticard) .

highmarshaldave
10-07-2005, 18:20
Silly point but I think there is one thing that must, without a shadow of a doubt, go in the new Codex. . . a summary page!!! Sorry.

I agree with most of the wish lists here (and I'm not an Ork player). One other thing, though. . . I heard that they may bring back the Shok Atak Gun.

Dave out.

Bryndyr
10-07-2005, 19:13
12 months ago I saw some concept sketches for new ork vehicles. When asked whenthey would be available I was told 2006. They also said that the Tau codex would be re-done first, but as this was the first codex where they did major planning etc for it, that it would only need a small tweak when re-released.

As I posted on the old Portent, the idea with the Orks was to bring back some of the fun (but not all) of the old 2d edition. Their was/is a strong belief that they went two far for the third edition and took all the fun out of playing orks.

Now a complete guess would be that the orks as per other codex will be able to take traits. Some of these will be preset for well known groups such as bad moon, speed freaks etc

My take on all this is that their will be one big codex next year either ork or Eldar. The new codex from Tau will be a quick overhaul, similar to the SM specific chapters with the odd new model thrown in to keep us all happy...

Flame Boy
10-07-2005, 19:56
I hope a generic Ork vehicle kit would allow for plenty of "gubbinz" like various pieces to stick together to look like engines, loads of different exhaust pipes and belts and cogs and stuff, so that you can stick various engine bits together and make a buggy, then add more bulk to the engine block if you want to make a truck. Basically I'm thinking of lots of parts that look like generic machinery that can be cobbled together, rather than enclosing everything, so you can get a fair bit of detailinto a model. It would be a lot harder to pull of like that, though.

It would be interesting if they made the vehicles a lot more flexible rules-wise as well. If you could bolt on weapons here and there you could end up with some interesting kit, as long as you don't end up with small buggies armed with grot bombs... wait... they have a grot-bomb wartrak at the forge world site... I'll shut up now. hehe.

hood_oz
11-07-2005, 01:06
The idea of 1 set: Buggy, 2=Trukk and 3=Battlwagon would be ridiculous as it would cost (knowing GW's prices) a fortune...with 50 dollars AU being the standard price for a Transport, I'm looking at 150 dollars AU if I want a battlewagon...or 100 for a Trukk :eek: :eek:

Yes, true, but they would have to drop the price point down to 30 or 35 Au dollars to make it fit in the standard pricing structure.

But it was just the plan discussed by Jes a few years ago, I dont think that is still the development plan, as the sketches I am told took a different path, and a more 'gubbinz' style kit was being discussed. How this is reflected in the codex, and in the actual sprue of the kits, I dont know just yet.

Am looking forward to it. Have waited a LONG time. As I STILL hate the gorkamorka stuff. (sorry didnt like it when it came out, and still dont like it)

Voss
11-07-2005, 05:04
actually, I don't see how the gorkamorka stuff could look anything but worse. At the time I didn't think they were that bad (comparatively speaking), but looking at them now, the drivers look more like grots than orks, particularly compared to the rather more massive current line.

They could do 1 set as a buggy OR a trukk. have a base chasis + either a transport section (which would overhang the chasis, maybe with an extra axle) or a gun mount.
Options for tracks rather than wheels.

If the basic chasis was actually two pieces you could add 'extensions' (to make it wider/longer) in seperate sprues in the battlewagon set. Basically, an arrangement where the right side of the chasis has tabs, and the left has slots. And the extension in the battlewagon kit is tabbed/slotted the same way, so that when glued together its a fairly solid basis for the rest of the model to be built on.

If they did it right, they could price the buggy/trukk in with other light vehicles, with extra plastic sprues in the battlewagon set to push it up to ~tank cost.

If they want to get really silly, they could put options for Kustomized vehicles in the new codex, where each chasis has slots for transport area/weapon mounts/force field generators, etc. and you build the vehicle based on how you design it on paper.

Darkness
11-07-2005, 11:07
For sure I think GW will bring out a Battlewagon kit, and this will be a seperate release. The idea of the combined kit is ridiculous. The Battlewagon would cost you probably the same as a Land Raider (or close to...), so what if you only wanted the kit to make a buggy out of? I don't think you'd be too pleased paying 30 for a buggy... I know I wasnt too pleased at the price of 12 for such a small piece of plastic...

I've been told that all the Ork vehicles are to be redone fairly soon. Now I was told Autumn this year, but that does seem very close already, and perhaps unlikely. This came from what our GW's Manager had been told while speaking to his friends at Head Office where he used to work, so is fairly reliable. However I think perhaps Autumn is now a little close - Early next year would seem more believable, though who knows. I'm almost certain they will just be a one-off release though, like the Eldar Wave Serpent. The rest of the redone Orks aren't out for a while yet, so if the Autumn/Early'06 release date is to be true, I think it'd be a pretty good bet to say it will be one-off releases.

As for the original point of the topic. Ork Boyz will perhaps be redone, though to be honest I don't think they need it. As we saw with the SMs and Tyranids, neither of those got their troops redone as the models were fine, and I think it's the same with the Orks. I think the Orks will just get a new codex, and all the rubbish models will be replaced with half-decent ones, as was done with the 'Nids and Marines, but I don't believe the Boyz are currently in the "rubbish" models area.

What I could see being done however is to redesign the sprues and allow them to have more options, such as burnas, rokkits, etc. as well as Stikkbombz or Tankbusta bombz. That would mean that the numerous boxes and blisters for the various units of Boyz with just different wargear would be removed from the shops, hence much more space, and ultimately better more customisable plastic Boyz. Burna Boyz, Tankbustas, Stikk Bombaz, Boyz, 'Ard Boyz, etc. could all be made out of one plastic set - and this would really not be too hard to do. We've seen GW do a similar thing with the Tyranid boxes (Carnifex, Genestealers are a prime example) where you can make any of the biomorphs out of one box, and I really could see them doing the same thing here.

hood_oz
12-07-2005, 00:44
For sure I think GW will bring out a Battlewagon kit, and this will be a seperate release. The idea of the combined kit is ridiculous. The Battlewagon would cost you probably the same as a Land Raider (or close to...), so what if you only wanted the kit to make a buggy out of? I don't think you'd be too pleased paying 30 for a buggy... I know I wasnt too pleased at the price of 12 for such a small piece of plastic...

As for the original point of the topic. Ork Boyz will perhaps be redone, though to be honest I don't think they need it. As we saw with the SMs and Tyranids, neither of those got their troops redone.

What I could see being done however is to redesign the sprues and allow them to have more options, such as burnas, rokkits, etc. as well as Stikkbombz or Tankbusta bombz.

Yes, the rumour has always been of the B.O.V. Big ork vehicle. This kit has been rumoured for god knows how long. One off release, yes. That is how the rumoours fall, as there is a strong rumour of something green early 06 (ala the wave serpent release)

SM tactical sprue was re-cut with a slightly modified helmet size and extra goodies on the sprue. I can see the orks getting a re-cut sprue with extra weapon and gear sprues being made to fill the special weapons and command gear options for the squad. Hopefully we will see TWO of most of the weapons for a squad, rather than one burner, one big shoota, and one rokkit... as ork squads normally bulk out with more than one of a weapon.

re-cutting a sprue is MUCH easier in comparison to making a brand new one. Less development time, but they still have to make the steel moulds for the injection plastic machines. I believe the main focus for plastics manufacture at the moment is the upcoming BT marine releases. (manufacture, not development) Or I could be wrong, have been out of the loop for a bit, they might still be on wood elf manufacture.

Orcdom
12-07-2005, 02:55
i would say the BT and WE are allready done, no manufacturing to worry about, a product should be in full swing production 3-6 months before a release

Steve

Karhedron
12-07-2005, 08:44
I think that Orcdom is right. The new Wood Elves will be finished by now and I would be very surprised if they were still working on BTs.

However to the best of my knowledge they are not working on any Ork boyz at the moment. I do know they are working on something very interesting though that should be out in the middle of next year.

Watch this space. ;)

highmarshaldave
12-07-2005, 09:55
Hmm, sounds. . . interesting. I shall await with baited dreath.

Dave out.

Orcdom
12-07-2005, 23:17
but even something due by say june of next year should be done by december/january for shipping overseas ect, to cover any hastles, screw up (god knows we are talking about GW here) or whatever. 6 months is easy to believe for stuff to be done within the release time.
that way GW stores (not indies) can be stocked on the release date no matter what, and having 2 things ready at once gives them more time to see what would make beter money if 2 things release dates were swapped, like if 1 system sales had been dropping and the other going strong, the release would help the failing sys.
i think GW does this alot, alot of the time you see releases pretty close between the 2 major systems, i think this is the whole reason.

Steve

Karhedron
13-07-2005, 21:54
Hood_oz: The helmet size changed on the new SM sprue? Did they get bigger or smaller?
Neither as far as I am aware. Allegedly the bare heads are fractionally smaller (so that they could actually fit inside the helmets ;)) but I am pretty sure the helmets are the same size.

+_Void_Crusaders_+
14-07-2005, 05:23
The best way to please everybody!
I think they should do one last campaing for armaggeddon! This we we can see:
Great Coat Imperiial Guard regiment
New Ork codex and models
New black Templar codex and models.
Worldwide campaing again.

This would appeal to the masses methinks but not to GW. It would be a LOT of work to do to set everything up. And yet it would be sooosoooOooOoso Awesome!

What do you guys think?

hood_oz
14-07-2005, 07:12
Neither as far as I am aware. Allegedly the bare heads are fractionally smaller (so that they could actually fit inside the helmets ;)) but I am pretty sure the helmets are the same size.

the ones in the battle macragge box have a slightly smaller helmet, and the bare heads are meant to be smaller. But to be honest, I cant see it in the minis. I could sit down with a 3d laser mapper and give you exact measurements, but I would rather spend my time painting than mucking around with a computer for an extra few hours in a day. ;)

I am sure there is someone on the list who has already mapped out the minis and could give you the measurements....

highmarshaldave
14-07-2005, 10:35
On the subject of heads, I've found that "human" heads, from the IG or Fantasy human (Empire/Bretonia) ranges, make great replacements. Also some of the Eldar and Elf heads look good on marines too (if you want long, flowing locks).

Dave out.

P.S. Come laser-mapper-guy!