PDA

View Full Version : Chaos without Daemons viable?

Jackal-God
04-08-2006, 15:22
While our group continues to sort out army selection (one Ogre, one Empire so far) nobody has really given a thought to Chaos.

Is a Mortal and Beast army viable? No Daemons mind you. Warriors flanked by Minotaurs kinda thing. Is the lack of ranged shooting too much to overcome?

coelomate
04-08-2006, 16:35
I'd actually say chaos without Daemons are MORE viable. Daemons are good, but the mortal and beast lists seem to have the real ace choices.

The lack of shooting will only bother you if you enjoy shooting - you're going to be plenty fighty to compensate, and on the darkest hours you can always pack a heard of mages or a hellcannon.

Gorbad Ironclaw
04-08-2006, 18:30
While some of the demons are good(furies, screamers and nurglings) those are the only ones I'd take outside of a Demon Legion list.

I think you might miss the flying units, but else you will do just fine without demons.

gorenut
04-08-2006, 19:14
I agree.. Chaos without daemons, paired only with mortals and beasts make a very excellent army. Have your blocks of marauders/warriors, flanks protected by the more mobile gors/ungors.

Bloodknight
04-08-2006, 19:25
As Gorbad said: you´ll have to substitute the flying daemons with mounted Marauders or Centigors, but other than that you´re on the right way. All daemonic infantry suck horribly.

TheWarSmith
04-08-2006, 20:43
Daemonic infantry are bad in mortal lists generally, but I'd say bloodletters have a place. Also, mounted Daemonettes(they're not in the army book) are GREAT. M10(and fast cav right?) is the way to go. 6+ save, 5+ ward, poison mount, 2 S4 attacks. MMMMMM...

Shaitan
05-08-2006, 03:13
Yeah! An other possible Chaos follower! :)

The only daemonic units I use in my (mainly) mortal army are Furies. And sometimes the mounted Daemonettes.

A mortal/beast list will be a good list. The lack of flying creatures can be compensated by the ambush-ability you will get in a beast army.

The lack of shooting is not much to worry about....

Jackal-God
05-08-2006, 12:18
Thanks for the feedback.

Which would be the way to go as a newbie to Chaos? The Warriors box is only a whopping 12 minis. Maybe Marauders and Minotaurs?

I'm leaning towards a Mortal General.

Also, is it me or do the Chaos Knights look a bit weedy compared to the foot Chaos Warriors? Any alternatives? EDIT : Talking about the minis here.. they just look small!

Bloodknight
05-08-2006, 12:41
The biggest problem Chaos IMO has, is that everything with a chaos warrior tag isn´t good if it isn´t chosen.
That means: Chaos warriors suck, Chosen are good. Chaos Knights are weak for their points, Chosen are good...

BuckFlashback
05-08-2006, 13:01
Which would be the way to go as a newbie to Chaos? The Warriors box is only a whopping 12 minis. Maybe Marauders and Minotaurs?

Warriors have their place, but Marauders are the real mainstay of a Mortals army (Arguably the best light infantry in the game). Marauder horsemen are a great unit also, fast cav and if you give them flails (easy conversion) they hit as hard as chaos knights on the first round of combat. In a mortal army Chosen Chaos Knights are practically a must, but they draw a terrible amount of fire so it'd be wise to invest in a screen.

Personally I like Warriors (They look awesome), but a Chaos army without any doesn't lament them too much. Also I suppose no warriors leaves room for plenty of beast units.

Shaitan
06-08-2006, 00:32
I could recommend buying a box of Marauders. Definitely a must in any chaos army from my point of view! They come in boxes of 16.

For the beast theme you could start with a unit of warhounds or minotaurs. Or maybe even a beast chariot (wich is easy convertible to a marauder chariot if you like)

ekxw
06-08-2006, 00:52
uhmm warriors are a great unit if the enemy shoot you a lot, one of 12 with banner sword and shield, champion and a hero inside with the armor that makes the enemy reroll sucesfull impact hits, thats hard like a rock they wont make that unit flee easily.

uhmm the screamers and furies are a must, to kill anoying units.

Latro
06-08-2006, 07:34
uhmm warriors are a great unit if the enemy shoot you a lot, one of 12 with banner sword and shield, champion and a hero inside with the armor that makes the enemy reroll sucesfull impact hits, thats hard like a rock they wont make that unit flee easily.

Armour of Damnation only works in close combat, and only for the character actually wearing it ...

(Still a very good item though)

:cool:

Jackal-God
06-08-2006, 14:36
Excellent reads.

As a Mortal will most likely be my General, he'll be on foot as we start low points games. Maybe a bit premature, but Chaos is one of the few armies that can field a Dragon and I'd like to mount him up as the army swells.

Any links or advice on for/against Dragons? Again, just looking down the road here, so 7th would be up and running for sure. While I'm not out for the Dragon option alone, is there an army that's better able/equipt/designed to support a Dragon (High Elves, etc..)?

..I think that sounds like what I'm thinking :eyebrows: