PDA

View Full Version : Are Vostroyans a splash release?

BrainFireBob
04-08-2006, 22:46
Per the title, are Vostroyans a splash release?

Simsandwich
04-08-2006, 22:47
I suppose so, nearly every metal Guard Regiment is.

BrainFireBob
04-08-2006, 22:56
The old ones weren't splash, they've been phased out as they've switched to plastic.

brother_fandango
04-08-2006, 23:00
"they" as in cadains and cattys..... half of which suck and a annoying to paint.

Getz
04-08-2006, 23:00
I would suspect that they will retreat to mail order in the same way as the Steel Legion eventually, so if you want them, get them while they're hot...

devolutionary
04-08-2006, 23:02
Yeap, eventually they'll be mail order only. I'm picking up as many as I can now (3000pts worth, wooo) simply for a future project.

Getz
04-08-2006, 23:18
You'll never be able to buy the rank and file as cheaply as you can now...

(mutter, grumble, £2.50 a figure Valhallans :mad:)

devolutionary
04-08-2006, 23:32
Lordy is that how much they charge for them? That's disgusting! They're bloody guardsmen :(

And I wanted some Valhallans for my peasant conscripts too.

stecal
05-08-2006, 01:50
go ebay -- I NEVER pay more than $ 1-2 for Steel Legion or Valhallans.

Epicenter
05-08-2006, 02:13
Tell me how you're getting these huge deals on Steel Legion on eBay, stecal. ;)

I've been trying to bulk up my force of SL (and phasing out Vahallans - anyone wanna trade? ;)). Bidding is insane for SL. Especially for the plasma guns and heavy bolters that GW doesn't seem to carry at all anymore.

Colonel_Kreitz
05-08-2006, 10:39
The other implication of a splash release (at least for the US) is that you won't be able to get deals from places like the WarStore.

Get the 20% off whie you can I guess. In fact, now that you mention it, I guess it's time for me to start stocking up on some more Vostroyans...

Lordy is that how much they charge for them? That's disgusting! They're bloody guardsmen :(

And I wanted some Valhallans for my peasant conscripts too.

Hey! That's what it was like playing IG back in the day (okay, I'm making myself sound older than I am. I've only played for 6 years). When I began my first IG army, if you didn't want to go the Crapachan route, IG infantry was very, very expensive to play. I remember getting an IG platoon from Trollboss Bob's Bargain Basement (Metal Cadians) for $75. That's 25 guardsmen, something like 200 points, for $75. And that was a deep discounted price. Granted, some units are somewhat more efficient in terms of dollars to points, but I would say that 200 points really did average out to 75 or so dollars (since the 75 is already a discount).

I'm talking about USD, by the way, not Canadian. My old Steel Legion and Cadian armies probably cost six or seven hundred dollars each for 1500 points or so. I still don't know why I decided to play infantry armies with metal armies and mechanized when the plastic Cadians came out; I'm just an idiot...

devolutionary
05-08-2006, 11:17
Hey! That's what it was like playing IG back in the day (okay, I'm making myself sound older than I am. I've only played for 6 years). When I began my first IG army, if you didn't want to go the Crapachan route, IG infantry was very, very expensive to play.

Expensive, yes, but I remember when they were even cheaper, a blister of 3 for NZ$10 or some such. Mind you, Terminators were also $7.95 a pop, and 3 Dark Reapers set you back less than $10. Man, now I'm feeling old.

Epicenter
05-08-2006, 11:23
Expensive, yes, but I remember when they were even cheaper, a blister of 3 for NZ$10 or some such. Mind you, Terminators were also $7.95 a pop, and 3 Dark Reapers set you back less than $10. Man, now I'm feeling old.

Yes, but before anything thinks we're complaining about the price "rises" since then, remember we used to complain about the prices back then, too. ("$20 for three measly pieces of plastic Rhinos? This is highway robbery!")

Bregalad
05-08-2006, 11:27
Technically, the Vostroyans are NO splash release, except for the 30 mini platoon box. Everything else is readily available. Otherwise, you must also call the Dark Eldar a splash release, because stocks are diminishing after 7 years or so.

Wintermute
05-08-2006, 13:00
The Vostroyans ARE a splash release and will be available in store for the duration of the Medusa V campaign. After that they will be available from Direct Sales only. GW produced enough minis to supply the stores for three months. If they run out all they have to do is cast some more.

Bregalad
05-08-2006, 16:42
GW has a special definition of splash release, and all splash releases in the GW online store are marked with a special "splash release" icon. No current Vostroyan blister or box has this special icon or is otherwise marked as being of limited availability. So officially they are no splash release. IIRC a WD stated that they will be around for a longer time. Where does your info come from?

It has happened that the GW website gives false information (like that the Grotek&Felix special minis can be converted to Warhammer Fantasy special characters). But then they should be told not to lie.

Wintermute
05-08-2006, 19:22
G Where does your info come from?

From my local indie store who got the info from their GW Rep.