PDA

View Full Version : Where do you shop online to get deals on GW merchandise these days?

Shadowfax
05-08-2006, 02:52
I've done business with gc-minis.com before. Their 30% discount is nice.

Are there any online merchants with an even better discount, or is 30% off of retail the standard bargain?

Then there's ebay, of course. I have never used it for 40K stuff, but I'm going to be following it for the next little while to try to scope out some bargains on Tyranid units.

n00bLord
05-08-2006, 03:03
I do Worldofhobbies. 20 % off and no shipping and handling for purchases of 75$ or more.

Omegadeath63
05-08-2006, 03:06
I get mine from the warstore. 20% off and low shippin no matter the size

Colonel_Kreitz
05-08-2006, 03:18
Far and away, The Warstore is the best retalier I have ever worked with. I've bought from Neil for 6 years. In that time, I have had one shipping error, ever (the wrong color of Vallejo paint) and in that case, he got me the right one in literally 2 days.

The shipping is ridiculously fast (I live in CA, Neil's on the East Coast, and I still usually have my stuff in 3 days) and if only part of an order is in stock, he'll usually ship each part out seperately, without additional charge.

Oh, and it's 20% off everything GW. I sounds like a commercial, I know, but seriously. The Warstore really is the best (dirt cheap shipping, too).

Shadowfax
05-08-2006, 03:19
Ordering from a USA-based online store has always seemed like a conundrum to me. 20% off of US prices is actually cheaper than 30% off of Canadian prices, but its impossible to predict how much the shipping/customs charges will amount to.

n00bLord
05-08-2006, 03:32
Well you can go through a fake order (not finish it) and see how much it would cost. Most likely you'll still come out on top money wise.

Da Reddaneks
05-08-2006, 03:33
i have also ordered from thewarstore.com and was very satasfied. There was once a relatively minor screw up with an order and when i called him about it he fixed it immediately. as a business man myself i could not ask for more.

The Purple Ninja
05-08-2006, 04:36
SciFi Genre (http://www.scifigenre.com/browse.aspx?sid=JUUXM2NQVUSQJU1&nSubCategoryID=135&nExpandToID=1050) is another 20% off free shipping over $75 store. They usually have better stock than World of Hobbies. Their shipping is pretty fast, and all their orders have been reliable [except for when I ordered Imperial Sectors, they had some snafu on those, and the order was majorly delayed, and they let me cancel the order. Which actually turned out to be a good thing because i'd be flat broke if I didn't hang on to that cash].

starlight
05-08-2006, 05:27
Actually, The Warstore gives an additional (I think) 5% off if you are over a certain limit.:D This makes some things actually cheaper than buying in Canada - even from GC Minis:eek:. Do your homework.......

For Canadians, there is a special back door......have Neal ship to someone (friend/family) in the US (for free) and then have them ship to you as a gift valued under $60 - saving you Customs and such.:D

chris_valera
05-08-2006, 06:51
The warstore is the best but lately I;ve been buying a grip of OOP/hard-to-find items off ebay. I have a huge list-

*coughsigcough*

-so it's been slow going.

I've been considering using chaosorc.com, but I dunno...

--Chris

whiteshields1830
05-08-2006, 06:54
does anyone know a online store that has a discount of greater than 10%, and has free/cheap shipping to australia?

Shinohai
05-08-2006, 10:03
you should support your local brick and morter shop, not the GW shops they have plenty of cash but the actual small time game and hobby shops that carry 40k need support. if you like going places the game such as those shops, they wont be around without support. as far as a good online shop if you must use one, warstore has goood customer service.

hellfire
05-08-2006, 11:56
last time i looked the warstore doesn't sell anything online don't you have to call them?

chris_valera
05-08-2006, 14:23
you should support your local brick and morter shop, not the GW shops they have plenty of cash but the actual small time game and hobby shops that carry 40k need support. if you like going places the game such as those shops, they wont be around without support. as far as a good online shop if you must use one, warstore has goood customer service.

Not everyone has a store nearby, not every hobby shop offers in-store gaming.

--Chris

lordbeefy
05-08-2006, 15:33
Anyone got any good UK ones?

Moralein
05-08-2006, 19:33
In the UK, Maelstrom Games offers 10% and free postage. You can get a 15% discount on large orders, again with free postage. Does anyone know any UK based online store that offers a better discount?

Colonel_Kreitz
05-08-2006, 19:47
last time i looked the warstore doesn't sell anything online don't you have to call them?

Yes, you do. They can't sell online due to the new online sales policy GW adopted a few years back.

The number is on the website and calling them is quite easy. It's not at all like calling into some places where you get a rude fool that is wholly unfamiliar with what he's selling; Neal is really very friendly and knows all his product lines extremely well.

Like I said, I probably sound like a commercial. But seriously, he's the best around.

Shadowfax
05-08-2006, 23:30
Actually, The Warstore gives an additional (I think) 5% off if you are over a certain limit.:D This makes some things actually cheaper than buying in Canada - even from GC Minis:eek:. Do your homework.......

For Canadians, there is a special back door......have Neal ship to someone (friend/family) in the US (for free) and then have them ship to you as a gift valued under $60 - saving you Customs and such.:D
I don't know anyone in the USA to help me out with a scheme like that.

Have you ever ordered from thewarstore and had it shipped directly to you? If so, how bad were the s+h and customs/customs broker charges?

starlight
05-08-2006, 23:32
I haven't yet, that's just from talking with him. However Neal is getting a price check for my next order in Sept, so I'll post the results. Sorry if that isn't soon enough.

Shadowfax
05-08-2006, 23:38
I think one of my friends and his family keep a P.O. box address down in the states so they can take advantage of US prices.I might be able to figure something out with him that involves us driving down there to pick up a package from thewarstore.

Although I might end up paying as much in gas/food costs as I would for shipping and customs. :rolleyes: This stuff can get pretty tricky. I wish I could just walk into a Games Workshop and get a decent price on things...

starlight
05-08-2006, 23:50
....and while you're at it, I'd like a pony.:)

.....a Rending Pony.:D

Norminator
05-08-2006, 23:55
Maelstrom Games is the best I know of in the UK. Very prompt service, cheap prices and free shipping (which is great on the smaller items, where postage could exceed the discount from other stores). 10% off the RRP.

GrandReaper
06-08-2006, 02:36
A couple quick points. I live in Canada and am good friends with the postal workers in my area. From them and personal experience I have learned that "gifts under $60" no longer get special treatment. Not in Canada anyway.

Secondly, if customs does intercept and charge for your purchase, you only face a charge of GST/PST plus $5 or so, and you'd have to pay the tax buying from gc-minis anyway.

I'm not saying I've worked out the costs and Warstore is better, just some points to remember.

*edit: Oh yeah! Does anyone know of an alternate source for ordering bits/sprues, or is that solely GW's territory? *

starlight
06-08-2006, 02:53
Good points......

More points:

A) Gifts are usually hit and miss anyways, but *some* chance is better than *no* chance.

B) You only pay PST if you live in Ontario when ordering from GC Minis.

C) Battlewagon Bits is selling Bitz. http://www.bwbits.com/

YMMV - do what works for you.:D

Shadowfax
06-08-2006, 02:55
Secondly, if customs does intercept and charge for your purchase, you only face a charge of GST/PST plus $5 or so, and you'd have to pay the tax buying from gc-minis anyway.

There are also potential "customs broker" fees. Most online stores ship using Fedex or UPS instead of Canada Post, and those companies can hit you with unexpected charges... its happened to me once or twice before.

starlight
06-08-2006, 03:02
These charges can be significant. In one case they were more than the items purchased:eek:. Of course the shipper labeled the contents *Metal Sculptures* instead of *Toys*:rolleyes:.

Oh, and Canada Post doesn't operate down there.:p

Shadowfax
06-08-2006, 03:08
I'm not sure what I meant... "regular mail" maybe?

Although I just took another look at the warstore, and he says that shipments to Canada are done through the USPS. That seems like good news to me.

smokingmonkee
06-08-2006, 04:57
Have any Canadians tried these guys yet? http://www.gc-minis.com/

starlight
06-08-2006, 05:15
Many have and I've yet to hear a complaint. Good service, fast responses to enquiries. I'll be using either GC Minis or The Warstore depending on overall costing for my next purchase.

neXus6
06-08-2006, 06:13
Hmm looking at Maelstrom Games site their 15% off if you buy a whole army thing is pretty good, might even save my plans for getting an Eldar army once the new codex comes out.

That said I currently don't have a Credit Card, and I like it that way, so that could easily shoot down that plan. :p

Aaron M
08-08-2006, 10:46
Just wondering if anyone here has used http://www.wargamesworkshop.com before. They're based in the UK. I'm looking at getting stuff delivered to an address in the Republic of Ireland, and I would prefer to try and order from the UK if possible. The shipping is 18% of the order according to the site, but they have 15% off boxed sets.

There's also another store here called http://www.dwhs.co.uk but according to the front of their store page their prices EXCLUDE VAT which displeases me.

ExxonValdez
10-08-2006, 00:54
Do not shop at Battle Master Games. They are idiots, unorganised and not very friendly. They currently owe me 60 Sterling which they will not pay me until I drop the paypal complaint (in which case then they have no obligation to pay)

BodhiTree
10-08-2006, 01:04
I actually did the math for GC Minis last night compared to in store prices. Realistically, you're getting a 13% discount off the real list price instead of 30% for Ontario, but then again, I'm not amazing at math. Their shipping fee is 10$ CAD per order, plus 3% of the total price of everything you've ordered, plus the 14% worth of Ont. PST and GST. From what I understood on my calculation, despite all of this, buying 3 boxes of Assault Squads in store came to 120$ CAD not including tax. But 3 boxes from GC Minis came to 108.28$ including tax and shipping. I guess the moral of the story is to make your purchases significant, so that you at the very least off-set the 10$ of shipping. But then again, everyone probably already knew this, and I'm only running off my mouth.

...But then again, I've been drinking Black Russians tonight, so I probably didn't make any sense.

Estragor
10-08-2006, 01:35
http://www.miniaturesbypost.com/

20% off Warhammer and 40K. Postage to UK depends on how much you order. Best way to buy is to put in a large order (get a group of friends to order with you) and fork out the maximun £10 posatge for large orders.

Have had no problems ordering from them in the past.

Yuuya
10-08-2006, 02:08
i get my mostly from maelstromgames in the UK.
10 to 15% off.but most importantly,they are fast,reliable and with free shipping worldwide.especially i stay in the far east.Singapore.

from US,i used to order from scifigenre.20% off.they are also good.
but i save more with free shipping.

thewarstore is also a good option in the US.may be getting from them some items.they have huge varities of games and stuff.:rolleyes:

BLZBOB
10-08-2006, 09:14
Another vote for Maelstrom in the UK and a cautionary note for Battle MAster GAmes aka BMG ltd. They do sell what appear to be bargain items but they are exactly what they say, for instance I ordered two sprues of staelth suits and some devilfish and when they arrived the fishies had no gun drones and the stealth suits had the drone/objective/suit upgrades snipped off. Was a bit peeved at that and am now very wary. I did dispute the lack of suit upgrades saying that he could keep the marer drone and the deepstrike marker but the suit upgrades were part of the stealthsuit, but apparently not.

Norminator
10-08-2006, 09:56
That's really mean (as in tight-fisted) to do that. Something like leaving the marker drone out of the stealth suits is one thing, but actually clipping things off the sprue? Madness...

t-tauri
10-08-2006, 11:05
That's really mean (as in tight-fisted) to do that. Something like leaving the marker drone out of the stealth suits is one thing, but actually clipping things off the sprue? Madness...

People sell in demand bitz separately on ebay-marker drones for example. They have to come from somewhere. The auction description may have included this info in a sneaky way "parts to make three stealth suits" as opposed to "complete sprue of three stealth suits". There are some sneaky individuals on ebay

Norminator
10-08-2006, 11:46
Not as sneaky as the epic lot, and whilst technically they aren't do anything wrong they aren't being particularly nice either. That's what I like about Maelstrom, is they're friendly with great service and they'd never pull a fast one on you like that.

lord_blackfang
10-08-2006, 14:22
Hm, my only two items that ever got "lost in the mail" (out of 100+ internet purchases) were from Maelstrom, and in both cases their customer service was appalling.

Cyboss GrimTeef
10-08-2006, 16:36
I live in the US and I've bought from Maelstrom as they had by far the cheapest prices on Terminators a while back. I think I got each box for around $30 US, when they were $50 US from any store around. Also, no shipping charges to the US! I had to wait about a week until they arrived, but who cares! They arrived and I saved $60 or so.

A few stores in my area around home or work offer discounts on GW because of the local GW stores, and in order to move product they discount it a bit. One store gives 20% off all boxes of GW items, but not blisters. Nice because it's near work. Most places online don't give that much, and you have to pay shipping to boot.

Neal is my main guy, he's great and very accomodating.