PDA

View Full Version : The End Times, Be there or be Square

La'mour Le Breton
05-08-2006, 07:36
Im sure everyone has read some fluff on the end times, wether its about Russ coming back to fight the last battle, or about cypher and the lion sword bringing the emperor back, to maugen Rah (sp?) being the last eldar to die in the last battle and so on. but if there is to be one huge battle, who exactly is going to be there? my knowlege on the fluff is pretty low, so im not sure of all of the participants. feel free to enlighten me (and everyone else) on the subject
P.S. A big organised list would be greatly appreciated

shutupSHUTUP!!!
05-08-2006, 09:03
The fluff does indicate a royal rumble of preposterous proportions, I don't think it means one huge battle though. Most likely it refers to the entire galaxy being ungulfed in wanton destruction of a scale sickening compared even to the current state of affairs, when the Imperium finally comes to an end. The Tyrannids, Necrons, forces of Chaos, Orks and anyone else looking to overrun the universe will have an easy ride without the Imperium of Man around to play stalemate with them.

Lastie
05-08-2006, 09:27
The Tyrannids, Necrons, forces of Chaos, Orks and anyone else looking to overrun the universe will have an easy ride without the Imperium of Man around to play stalemate with them.

I don't know about the universe, but the Milky Way will sure be up for grabs.

Most ofthe various apocalyptic prophecies in the 40K fluff seem to point towards one giant last stand against Chaos. Whether Chaos is actually going to be destroyed utterly (thus prompting a large series of questions about the repurcussions of such an act) or the Eye of Terror is just going to be closed remains to be seen.

Then we have the Necrons and Tyranids, whose true numbers remain undisclosed and could possibly already have a nice claim on a fair number of galaxies (remember, it's never told where the Necrontyr homeworld was).

Lt. Co Steel
05-08-2006, 09:28
Not my topic of expertise, but i wounder if the Tau are involved. Ervery one talks about the impirium being over-run with orks, nid's, chaos, etc, etc, but the Tau are always left out of these equations, i wounder why?

Lastie
05-08-2006, 09:34
Not my topic of expertise, but i wounder if the Tau are involved. Ervery one talks about the impirium being over-run with orks, nid's, chaos, etc, etc, but the Tau are always left out of these equations, i wounder why?

To be brutally honest with the Tau, they occupy a rather small area of space (possibly even smaller than the Ultramarine's 'Model Empire', Ultramar). While they possess highly advanced technology, they lack sufficient numbers to compete in a full-scale intersteller war against the Imperium, any major Ork Waaagh!, or a full-blown Tyranid Hive Fleet (on the scale of Behemoth, Leviathan, or Krakken). The fluff talks about many other alien species on similar scales to the Tau elsewhere in the galaxy, so small alien empires aren't that unusual. Large alien empires, like the Orks (although fractured and uncooperative with each other) and the Tyranids, are few in number but large in significance. Not trying to downplay Tau or anything (As a former Tau player).

Commander Ozae
05-08-2006, 14:03
Almost all the Imperial end of times has something to do with the Emperor coming back and the return of the primarchs. This would be a great time to go on a rant about the Star Child and the Numen but since GW doesn't seem to like that fluff anymore we shouldn't. Oh well, good luck humans.

Sephiroth
05-08-2006, 15:02
To be brutally honest with the Tau, they occupy a rather small area of space (possibly even smaller than the Ultramarine's 'Model Empire', Ultramar).

The Tau Empire is bigger, actually. Ultramar is a single sub-sector, with about eight systems, if I recall correctly.

The Tau Empire by contrast, is approximately three hundred light years in diameter, with the Tau homeworld at its centre, and just over a hundred settled worlds.

Khaine's Messenger
05-08-2006, 16:08
but if there is to be one huge battle, who exactly is going to be there?

1) Ancient Heroes Return or are Redeemed to lead into a new golden age (the Wolf Time, the return of the Emperor/Primarchs); this includes Cypher and, assuming he remains at his present power levels, Arquleon Veq (or whatever his name was, from Daemon World)
2) Ancient Heroes Die (the Phoenix Lords will fall "for good" in the shadow of Ynnaed's birth; the Rana-Dandra will usher in the end of the Eldar)
3) New Gods are born (Ynnaed, the Star Child tutored by Cegorach)
4) War...Forever (Ragna-Ork! Waaaagh!)
5) The Great Work and the Red Harvest (C'tan...yawn)
6) Black Crusade (we'll make it to Terra eventually...)

Most of the other races don't have endgame gambits as such. The Tyranids' conception of time is far removed from our own, and since their central credo is to SURVIVE FOREVER ("Hive Fleet Horror"), admitting there's an End of Time would feel rather odd. The Tau also don't have much of a need for an End of Time move, as their generally progressive outlook seems to ignore the idea of growing to such a size that imagining a time where it could all end would be necessary.

For clarity's sake, I really don't think the background entertains the notion that all of the End of Times gambits will get pulled off, or even really be "the end of times" as such...merely another time of transition.

La'mour Le Breton
05-08-2006, 19:26
I remember reading some fluff about the nids and chaos fighting in the end (maby one of many battles) and something about the hive mind "snapping" or just like going nuts and losing control over all the nids, at which point they all go feral

nurgleman
05-08-2006, 19:39
The eldar believe at the end times the material and immaterial universe will mutually destroy each other.

BodhiTree
05-08-2006, 21:45
Certainly not canon, but I remember a White Dwarf which had an IG/Eldar force versus the Tyranids in 2nd Ed. Eldrad was leading the army, and said something along the lines of "All will fall to the great devourer in time, either together or alone". Ever since then I imagined that the Tyranids were the be-all and end-all to the galaxy. If the powers of Chaos are only able to enter into the Milky Way instead of other galaxies, then one could possibly imagine that the Tyranids are a larger force.

Also, I remember an old drawing of a Tyranid army on the move, it had an Imperial Guardsman wearing a helmet with the symbol of Khorne, yet he had been infected from some Tyranid ploy and was thus a turncoat twice over. Take that as you will. :wtf:

But then again I've come to the conclusion that virtually all 2nd Ed. fluff is pretty useless/ignored, probably because a lot of it seems sort of goofy compared to what's available now. The feeling I got from 2nd Ed. was that the Imperium was pretty invincible, despite all the threats it faced. Now after the whole Eye of Terror thing, I've done a 180 on my opinion.

Heard of Till?
05-08-2006, 22:39
Also, I remember an old drawing of a Tyranid army on the move, it had an Imperial Guardsman wearing a helmet with the symbol of Khorne, yet he had been infected from some Tyranid ploy and was thus a turncoat twice over. Take that as you will. :wtf:

Khornate Genestealer Cults is probably the thing I miss the most about the current fluff.

BodhiTree
05-08-2006, 23:28
Khornate Genestealer Cults is probably the thing I miss the most about the current fluff. How the.. but the... and the.... abuh?! :wtf:

MrInsomniac
05-08-2006, 23:51
I loved the Eldar fluff about the 'End Times', it created the best images in my mind about the 40k universe. Although I'm a chaos player and love the Dark Powers dearly, there's just something in me that really wants the Eldar to banish it forever in an apocolyptic battle.

If I recall correctly, Fuegan is the first to die in the battle and Maugan Ra is the last. Unfortunately I don't really know what else happens during it, suffice to say I think it lasts a fairly long time.

Shaper Shakra
06-08-2006, 04:21
3) New Gods are born (Ynnaed, the Star Child tutored by Cegorach)

Wait...the Star Child's taking lessons from the Laughing God? Wow...how did I miss that? Isn't that...like....heresy? :p

Khaine's Messenger
06-08-2006, 04:38
Wait...the Star Child's taking lessons from the Laughing God?

That is what a character in the Inquisition War claims the Harlequins told him--that Cegorach will tutor the Star Child in the ways of godhood.

Malphax
06-08-2006, 05:34
Laughing God = The Deceiver?

I don't know a whole lot about the Eldar fluff but my buddy who plays Harlequins said that's who it is. Yes/no/maybe so? If that's true it seems like it would add a whole new level to the Old Ones/Necrontyr/C'tan/Eldar/Krork/Immaterium love triangle-thingy OF DOOM!

Khaine's Messenger
06-08-2006, 05:42
Laughing God = The Deceiver?

They represent similar ideas, share the same masks, and are yet considered seperate entities, so they are related and yet different in very important ways. So it would be inaccurate to simply equate them.

If that's true it seems like it would add a whole new level to the Old Ones/Necrontyr/C'tan/Eldar/Krork/Immaterium love triangle-thingy OF DOOM!

Even if it's not true, the mere consideration of its potential as a truth adds to the whole...round and round the dance goes, where it stops, not even Cegorach knows....

Fir Lirithion
07-08-2006, 05:51
Fuegan is the last to die.

Damien 1427
07-08-2006, 09:43
How the.. but the... and the.... abuh?! :wtf:

If memory serves, Genestealer cults would sometimes call out to the Warp for aid if their Hive Fleet was a fair bit away, or they neded help taking down the planatery government. And sometimes the Powers Most Foul would listen, and grant them favour in return for their worship.

So yeah. Khornate Genestealer Cults. That's nothing, though. Ork Khornate Genestealer Cults. That's where it's at. :p

Lord Zarkov
07-08-2006, 09:45
so for the Ork equivalent of neophytes that's 6 attacks on the charge...

Sergeant Tanthius
07-08-2006, 11:18
The End Times is:

1. The day Roboute boy breaks his stasis field and run up to marneus and demand his gloves back
2. The day russ comes back. A.K.A Wolftime
3. The day Lion storms out of the dungeons of the Rock and shouts at Cypher
4. The day Cypher remake the Lion sword and ask for the forgiveness of the fallen.
5. The day the Pheonix Lord gather together to do battle.
6. The day all the Pheonix Lords die.
7. The day the Black Crusade hits home.
8. The day The Eye of Terror ends as we know it, for good or for ill.
9. The day Tau just vanished from 40K.
10. The day the khan comes out of the webway.
11. The day in which everybody kills everybody else.
12. The day Tyranids launch Hive Fleet Apocalypse
13. The day Necrons rise to claim the Galaxy.
14. The day Mars starts to rumble as the Void Dragon awakes.
15. The day when Corax comes back to the Ravenspire.
16. The day the Imperium stops fighting itself and try to keep itself together.
17. The day all races end as we know it.

Last but not least...

*Drum Rolls*

THE DAY THE EMPEROR BURSTS FROM THE GOLDEN THRONE AND LEAD US TO VICTORY!!:D

BodhiTree
07-08-2006, 14:38
If memory serves, Genestealer cults would sometimes call out to the Warp for aid if their Hive Fleet was a fair bit away, or they neded help taking down the planatery government. And sometimes the Powers Most Foul would listen, and grant them favour in return for their worship.

So yeah. Khornate Genestealer Cults. That's nothing, though. Ork Khornate Genestealer Cults. That's where it's at. :p
I will someday convert this army. So it is written, so too shall it come to pass. :angel:

Gorbad Ironclaw
07-08-2006, 18:27

Because the Tau wasn't around or even thought of when all of this was created. They don't really have a place in it all. And frankly, currently they are not terribly important on galaxy wide events. They might have a moderatly sized empire in the easter fringer. But unless your bordering that, they are not really a concern. They are just not dangerous on the same level as a Hive Fleet, or a chaos invasion, or necrons(supposedly, even if I hate the C'tans).

La'mour Le Breton
08-08-2006, 06:50
would it be plausible to say that the Tyranids eat all the matter in the universe and create a galaxy wide black zone (not sure what the hive mind interferance is called) that cancels out the eye and the maelstrom?

Malphax
08-08-2006, 06:56
Well the warp is just a manifestation of the strength of a soul and its emotion in the real world. All of the chaos "gods" are just emotions or elemental forces that gained more and more power as more and more people felt those things, or believed in them. That's why daemons can only manifest in places where there's a large amount of belief in them.

So... since the Tyranids liquefy all the biomass on a planet and then suck it back up into the Hive Fleet, there's not much left. No life, no emotions, no warp. The Tyranid do produce something called the "Shadow in the Warp" but the destruction of all life would render that somewhat moot, wouldn't it?

La'mour Le Breton
08-08-2006, 07:00
it makes sence that thats how it all will end (if GW ever stops loving money)

Sergeant Tanthius
08-08-2006, 10:36
it makes sence that thats how it all will end (if GW ever stops loving money)

Impossible! :eek:

Perhaps if the 40K branch needs a closing someday in the unforseeable (sp?) future.

We can always imagine but...