PDA

View Full Version : Eldar BattleForce Boxed Set (the £50 one)

Anaris
05-08-2006, 15:55
Direct from the mouth of the mail order guy at the end of the phone.

GW staff can adavnce order this and the army box deal as of the 9/9 (Warhammer Release Data), so I got the guys in the local GW to phone up and ask what was in it.

Here ya go.

8 Guardians
1 Guardian Heavy Weapon Platform
5 Dire Avengers
1 Wave Serpent
1 Vyper Jetbike
1 War Walker

Nice deal if you ask me, but I won't be getting it as I already have enough Guardians, Vypers and I prefer the FW Wave Serpents.

orangesm
05-08-2006, 16:21
It is a good core for the army it seems. Two of them would give enough vehicles to add another unit or two of aspects to mount in the wave serpenats.

Thalandor
05-08-2006, 16:22
5 Dire avengers ? Is the squad size even so small (I never played eldar).
Is it me and this list is a little short on troops.. we're talking 15 models + 3vehicles...

Eideu
05-08-2006, 16:28
5 dire avengers is the minimum squad size, why a wave serpent?its useless in that force really, why ferry round gaurdians?

Crimson Pies
05-08-2006, 16:31
5 Dire avengers ? Is the squad size even so small (I never played eldar).
Is it me and this list is a little short on troops.. we're talking 15 models + 3vehicles...

This seems strange to me too. I would prefer that they skipped the WW or the Vyper and added more of the lovely DA's.

The Purple Ninja
05-08-2006, 16:42
I would have rather had 5 more Dire Avangers than the Vyper. What is it with Eldar boxes and including a single Vyper? It's cool and looks neat, but something else would be a lot more useful.

Death_walks
05-08-2006, 16:52
this dosn't seem to me like a great deal i mean what cann u do with 8 guardiens? and i don't use a vyper!! plus only 5 Avangers? i mean thats crap. the warwalker is ok, but isnt there a rumor about a temporary 3 WW box?

Wave Serpent? what for? 5 DAs?

wouldnt buy this not even for £25

Eideu
05-08-2006, 17:31
thats about 80 pounds worth of stuff, a better box would have been
18 gaurdians
2 Grav platforms
8 dire avengers
a warwalker.

Thalandor
05-08-2006, 17:39
This info must be wrong. Compare this with a recently released Battle force : Tau Empire Battle Force 2006.

1 Crisis suit
1 APC
3 Stealth Suits
6 gun drones
12 firewarriors
12 kroots

Comparing to eldar box:
That's 24 man sized models, compared to 13 in eldar box
The 6 drones and gravity platform somewhat compare to each other
1 transport vehicle in each box, ok
Crisis suit is approximatly same as war walker, I suppose
3 stealh suits is about equivalent to vyper

So the boxes are roughly the same, except Eldar is really short on troops. That's why I suspect they get 10 guardians and 10 dire avengers, int he very least.

stahly
05-08-2006, 17:41
thats about 80 pounds worth of stuff, a better box would have been
18 gaurdians
2 Grav platforms
8 dire avengers
a warwalker.

Maybe, but GW doesn't include broken up sprues in their boxes.

Eideu
05-08-2006, 17:44
borken up sprues?were?

n00bLord
05-08-2006, 17:49
This set isn't very appealing. It should be priced around 40 USD. I would only buy it for the serpent. The older one (current) is a much better deal.

carl
05-08-2006, 17:51
What i think he means is that each sprue holds 4 guardians. Thus to have 18 guardians needs a half sprue. 16 with 2 platforms makes more sense.

Thalandor
05-08-2006, 17:54
I concur. So I suspect its 12 guardians + platform and 10 dire avangers (5 per sprue ?) or 8 if its 4 per sprue

Eideu
05-08-2006, 17:59
sorry i meant 16, like the current 18 pound box.I was working on the 80 pounds limit.

Some Muppet
05-08-2006, 21:08
Direct from the mouth of the mail order guy at the end of the phone.

GW staff can adavnce order this and the army box deal as of the 9/9 (Warhammer Release Data), so I got the guys in the local GW to phone up and ask what was in it.

Here ya go.

8 Guardians
1 Guardian Heavy Weapon Platform
5 Dire Avengers
1 Wave Serpent
1 Vyper Jetbike
1 War Walker

Nice deal if you ask me, but I won't be getting it as I already have enough Guardians, Vypers and I prefer the FW Wave Serpents.

why would they give you 5 dire avengers when it is confirmed that thre are 10 in a box

Brimstone
05-08-2006, 21:09
why would they give you 5 dire avengers when it is confirmed that thre are 10 in a box

Because you get 5 per sprue so this is half a box.

Some Muppet
05-08-2006, 21:12
yes, but they said they were moving away from guardians being the core, and making DAs the most common troop, so it makes more sense to have atleast 10 DAs

BTW - brimstone - you are earily quick at replying - are you really a person??

static grass
05-08-2006, 21:44
I think the emphasis is on adding more aspect warriors as a troop choice then the amount of guardians should reduce.

Just because you think something makes sense it doesn't mean it does.

Some Muppet
05-08-2006, 21:46
Correct me if i'm wrong but i thought GW had said that they wanted more of an emphasis on the aspect warriors, with guardians being in more of a supporting role (except the black guardians of course!)

sanctusmortis
05-08-2006, 21:47
I have to admit, it seems pretty darn useless to me. Why not lose the guardians and platform, and have more dire avengers and 2 jetbikes?

Some Muppet
05-08-2006, 21:56
Whats the point of 2 jet bikes - do you mean the vypers or the normal ones

Vermillion
05-08-2006, 22:07
guardians being in more of a supporting role (except the black guardians of course!)

I thought they're called Storm Guardians, or is it Black Guardians?

I agree with comments already made, they deffinetly should be more than 5 DAs and more than 15 troop models

Some Muppet
05-08-2006, 22:13
I thought they're called Storm Guardians, or is it Black Guardians?

I agree with comments already made, they deffinetly should be more than 5 DAs and more than 15 troop models

storm guardians are eldar who went down the path of the warrior in either the banshee or the scorpian shrine, but have now returned to normal life

Black guardians are the elite guardians from the Ulthwe craft world. because ulthwe have few aspect warriors, they have very skilled guardians

Karhedron
05-08-2006, 22:19
Actually I find this box set quite plausible. It contains 2 Troop units (both min-sized but still legal) a Transport, one Fast and one Heavy. Sounds like just the sort of Mix that GW like to include in these boxes.

Eideu
05-08-2006, 22:26
dropping the Vyper and putting in a squad of 5 Harks or spiders would have fixed it.

Killgore
05-08-2006, 22:31
I'd buy 2 of these

my Eldar army needs wave serpents, warwalkers, vypers and new Dire Avengers

the Guardians are an added extra really, thou i do need more gun platforms :evilgrin:

Tom
05-08-2006, 22:35
Actually I find this box set quite plausible. It contains 2 Troop units (both min-sized but still legal) a Transport, one Fast and one Heavy. Sounds like just the sort of Mix that GW like to include in these boxes.

Now, buy two of them and you have some awesome win here.

Reason no other aspects? They're not plastic!

Karhedron
05-08-2006, 22:40
Reason no other aspects? They're not plastic!
Precisely! The £50 box sets are always all plastic, as are the Mega force deals. It is only the Ltd edition army deals that include metal models.

Knighty
06-08-2006, 00:39
It doesn't seem that bad really. Buy two and you've got a deacent foundation for an army. Though I'm not entirely convinced by the guardians. All you'd need is an HQ and some aspect warriors, all of which are metal.

I'm going to buy at least one.

Hellebore
06-08-2006, 01:35
I have to admit, it seems pretty darn useless to me. Why not lose the guardians and platform, and have more dire avengers and 2 jetbikes?

Because apparently, platforms are compulsory with every defender squad, so it would be an illegal unit.

Hellebore

bryankia
06-08-2006, 02:39
So I have been watching these threads for a while and have not posted. I think this is a great box set for people who do not play Eldar. Darn shame that I will not be buying this because it does not work for me.

Bryan

Son of the Lion
06-08-2006, 06:36
I'm not sure what the problem is. This looks ok in terms of 'value for money' (if there is such a thing where GW is concerned). Granted, it's not an ideal purchase for a beginner (unless you buy 2 of course - quite possibly the devious plan all along), but it's a good selection of 'booster' stuff for any eldar player.

I am quite suprised there aren't more DA in the box though, since they seem to be the new darlings of the design team.

Vermillion
06-08-2006, 08:58
storm guardians are eldar who went down the path of the warrior in either the banshee or the scorpian shrine, but have now returned to normal life

Black guardians are the elite guardians from the Ulthwe craft world. because ulthwe have few aspect warriors, they have very skilled guardians

ah I understand now, thanks

Michaelius
06-08-2006, 09:55
That's great box actually get two of those and you have nice guardian squads 10 Das with 2 serpents and 2 vypers and 2 walkers which make great army at low points.

sendinthetanks
06-08-2006, 17:32
Uhh does this boxset sound a little BS to anyone else?

What sense does it make if Guardians have a min squad sizeof 10 that they'd only give you 8?

5 DA's when their trying to push them on you?

This just all sounds a little questionable to me

Gauthic
06-08-2006, 18:00
I'd think they'd give a whole box of Dire Avengers.... instead of half a box.

It's not like the Tau boxed set came with 5 fire warriors.

Just stream-of-conscious.

Eideu
06-08-2006, 18:05
its a 50 pound box, and the grav platform crew takes it up to 10,yes but we do get 15 core models, the tau got a simalur number

Thalandor
06-08-2006, 18:32
its a 50 pound box, and the grav platform crew takes it up to 10,yes but we do get 15 core models, the tau got a simalur number

My earlier post showed how TAU get 24 core models and just a lot more stuff than eldar does.

Tom
06-08-2006, 19:05
Hello, Tactical Squad, the obligatory inexplicable combat squad, Command squad and Razorback. There's a cack battleforce for you.. This one's decent enough.

Of course, it's getting replaced, which is nice.

[What's with the bizzare craze of capitalising Tau all the way through?It's started popping up recently and... well, it narks me a little. It's like the phrase 'could care less'. Yes, it doesn't make sense does it? I'm ranting...]

Binky
07-08-2006, 07:21
What sense does it make if Guardians have a min squad sizeof 10 that they'd only give you 8?

I assume the two crew of the heavy weapon platform make up the last two members of the squad.

Saraketh
07-08-2006, 11:45
ummm, i prefer the current box set tbh, has more troops, and why oh why are there no JETBIKES :( With their apparent points cost lowered in the new dex, won't they be alot more effective and annoying to your enemies when zooming up the flanks, softening the enemy for your wave serpent loaded with deadly scorpions or banshees. Still the new one does lack troops, although am glad to see the war walker in there, it may persuade me to buy it as i dont have one.

Some Muppet
07-08-2006, 13:20
I assume the two crew of the heavy weapon platform make up the last two members of the squad.

but how do we know that they count towards mini/max squad size. they didn't in the old codex, so how do we know they will in this one???

WokeUpDead
07-08-2006, 13:27
we don't. and we won't, until the dex is out.
but: it's not like you're life depends on it..:wtf:
it's just a box of minis.. I fail to see why there's so much hot wind around it.

Homer S
07-08-2006, 13:58
but how do we know that they count towards mini/max squad size. they didn't in the old codex, so how do we know they will in this one???
See this (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=853783&postcount=715)...

Support for the two crew being part of the ten, especially if Guardian Defenders must take the platform.

Homer Out

abaddonseviltwin
07-08-2006, 17:52
Seems to be a small hit and run force, nice idea, fast moving, hit em hard but I'd rather have a few more DA in there, but I guess with the jetbikes being redone at some point in the future they were never going to make it into the box were they, but down grading the wave serpent to a falcon, and putting in a 5 more DA would have made more sence to me, though this way they force us to buy a whole new box of DA if we want to add to the 5 in the battleforce...cynical, me?

Homer S
07-08-2006, 19:38
ummm, i prefer the current box set tbh, has more troops, and why oh why are there no JETBIKES :( With their apparent points cost lowered in the new dex, won't they be alot more effective and annoying to your enemies when zooming up the flanks, softening the enemy for your wave serpent loaded with deadly scorpions or banshees. Still the new one does lack troops, although am glad to see the war walker in there, it may persuade me to buy it as i dont have one.
I think it is likely that those Eldar units without new models, primarily Warp Spiders and Jetbikes, will be redone next year. If they include them in the Battlebox, they will have to redo them again and that won't happen. So, no jetbikes.

The cost works out in USD compared with the current box. The price point is $90 and the current box is $150 retail. As listed, the rumored contents is $155 retail, $150 if the WW is $30 and not $35.

Homer Out

Thalandor
07-08-2006, 20:12
I think it is likely that those Eldar units without new models, primarily Warp Spiders and Jetbikes, will be redone next year. If they include them in the Battlebox, they will have to redo them again and that won't happen. So, no jetbikes.

The cost works out in USD compared with the current box. The price point is $90 and the current box is $150 retail. As listed, the rumored contents is $155 retail, $150 if the WW is $30 and not $35.

Homer Out

Maybe, but what sucks with this box is the content. I calculated its worth and its definitively worth more $ than SM mark 2 or Tau boxes. However, there's far too many vehicles and too little troops to make it viable for a player who buys this to start an army. The wave serpent is fairly useless with only 5 dire avengers to transport... And war walker is not something I'd consider fielding. They shoulda got rid of it and put more dire avengers/guardians.

Mirumoto
07-08-2006, 20:34
I see much more viable a force consisting of 10 dire avengers, a serpent, maybe 10 guardians with platform and a Vyper. Or swapping the Vyper for a WW.

All in all, I think the actual one is much more worthy for its price.

Thalandor
07-08-2006, 20:35
I see much more viable a force consisting of 10 dire avengers, a serpent, maybe 10 guardians with platform and a Vyper. Or swapping the Vyper for a WW.

All in all, I think the actual one is much more worthy for its price.

Amen to that

Darkona
08-08-2006, 06:32
i think they should drop the viper and get 5 more dire avengers then switch the lovely war walker for the even better wraith lord

like the carnefix for nids

Thalandor
08-08-2006, 12:39
Yup, but in any case, I won't hold my breath on the box content. GW red shirt information is not always 100 % accurate, especially this long before release. I'll keep my hopes up for a better box.

striderzero
14-08-2006, 02:59
Man, I'm going to have to get a few of the current battle forces before switch over to the new one (need so many jetbikes and Vipers). Now if only I could figure out what I'm going to do with 4, possibly 5 with the army box, falcons.... and all those guardians.

Deathjester
14-08-2006, 08:29
This is an awesome deal for it's price:

Guardians £9
Dire Avengers £9
Platform £9
Wave Serpent £20
Viper £15
Warwalker £15-20

= £78-82 for £50 Nice one GW.

The Judge
14-08-2006, 08:51
Looks like something I might buy - although I wouldn't buy more than three War Walkers so the three WW boxset might not be purchased...

Thalandor
14-08-2006, 13:18
This is an awesome deal for it's price:

Guardians £9
Dire Avengers £9
Platform £9
Wave Serpent £20
Viper £15
Warwalker £15-20

= £78-82 for £50 Nice one GW.

Ya, but its useless by itself. Most battle forces are well rounded up so you had an HQ and you're good to go. With this force, you get so little troops and a practically useless transport.

Deathjester
14-08-2006, 17:13
Ya, but its useless by itself. Most battle forces are well rounded up so you had an HQ and you're good to go. With this force, you get so little troops and a practically useless transport.

I disagree, with just the addition of an HQ this would be a nice little force, arm the warwalker with a starcannon/brightlance combo, and slap a starcannon on the guardians (it's the only thing they're ever going to hit with) and a starcannon on the viper, (oh and a holofield & spirit stone while you're at it). then add an autarch with a fusion gun & power sword & banshee mask, brightlances on the waveserpent with spirit stones & star engines. put the avengers & the autarch in the WS and fly it forward while the rest provides fire support & keeps things pinned down. No danger.

Ok so it's a little light on troops but the other choices are fantastic.

bringerofdecay
15-08-2006, 20:18
to be honest, if that is the eldar box i will NOT buy it, it is a poor choice of models, troops are low, no HQ, why is it all newly released £50 boxes contain all the necesities to play from out the box (HQ, 2 troops, and extras) when the eldar one wont, it just seems a little fishy is all, and i dont think this will be the final box set. and yes, the tyranid boxset had a HQ, the warriors.

also, wtf is up with the eldar guardians and having to buy a support platform, another way to screw an eldar player out of points, 1st they have to buy the £18 eldar guardian box and then the £10 for the support platform making a standard eldar troop choice £28, where as every other race (to the best of my knowledge) has a playable, cheap troop choice straight from the box and in the case of tyranids and tau there are 2 troop choices for £18, and although we can upgrade the guardians to storm guardians point wise, i bet the special weapon upgrades will not be in the box, they will be a seperate blister of either 1 or 3, in blisters of 1 so that we have to spend more money to buy the second, or in blisters of 3 so that we need to buy a second blister to make an even number, but there you go, thats just games workshop for you.

RANT OVER

i will start playing eldar, and helped create my friends eldar, i just think the old box had far greater play-abilty and was just a better deal.

Thalandor
15-08-2006, 21:24
Hum good point about screwing ppl with having to buy a platform in addition to guardians, BUT I wouldn't be surprised if they repack the guardians to 8 or 12 models + a HW platform.

wascloud
15-08-2006, 21:31
im getting the army box, and have just bought 1,00pts of eldar already, so i wont be buying the £50 box, but that is the only reason. i know that it is very short on bums on seats as some ppl put it, but with the addition of a farseer or autarch it could be vary hard, all that armour would be very hard to get rid of in smaller games.
wascloud

chrishin
15-08-2006, 21:37
bringer the 50 pounder ones aren't the limited army box. it's only army box that comes with hq. 50 pound ones are the battle force. no race's battle force comes with an hq

TomKamakazi
15-08-2006, 23:04
bringer the 50 pounder ones aren't the limited army box. it's only army box that comes with hq. 50 pound ones are the battle force. no race's battle force comes with an hq

Tyranid Warriors?
Tau Crisis Suits?
Space Marine Comand squads? (with a fairly plain looking "comander")

At a stretch you could possibly call the DA Exarch an Autarch.

bringerofdecay
15-08-2006, 23:22

uh, yes they do,
tau has a battlesuit,
nids have warriors,
spacemarines got a whole command squad,
black templars also got a whole command squad
chaos marines, just take a chaos marine and use as a leiutenant or somthing, its what i did (ok, so that one doesnt count so much, but its an option)

every box released since 4th ED has come with a HQ

those box sets that remain since before 4th ED do not
dark eldar
eldar
orks
'crons
imp guard
chaos space marines

it just seems that they started a trend with 4th ED to have a playable legal army from straight out the £50 box, please do some re-search before you contradict my points, i have bought many of the £50 boxes, and i know what they contain :cool:

BT's (actually the original 4th ED space marine battle force with the BT sprue)
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=WEB035&orignav=10

space marine 4th ED battleforce is now removed from the GW online store as the new one has been released, 4th ED is still being used as the black templars composite from the online store, the new ED does not contain a dedicated HQ but it does contain a scout squad, a 10 man tac squad with rhino (2 troops) and a 5 man combat squad, which one could mod as the command squad without any effort
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99120101045&orignav=10 the original DID contain the command squad.

tyranids
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99120106008&orignav=10
i hope you can see the 3 warriors clearly pictured

tau empire
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99120113011&orignav=10
theres the battlesuit, the one that is used as my commander

all released sine 4th ED all contain a HQ, thankyou very much /bows :skull:

lets hope the eldar do infact continue the trend, so that new starters can play for £62(including 'dex) not more in te regon of £70 (inc' 'dex)

bringerofdecay
15-08-2006, 23:24
Tyranid Warriors?
Tau Crisis Suits?
Space Marine Comand squads? (with a fairly plain looking "comander")

At a stretch you could possibly call the DA Exarch an Autarch.

lol, curses, let me defend myself, or at least post first :rolleyes:

thanks for the back up man, i dont like being told i am wrong, even if i am, but more so when i am right!

edit:hadnt thought about the DA :) but i got you with the chaos, no *****, i use 2 CSM's from the box sets as leiutenants, ok, one got lightning claws recently, but they just had conversions at first

Lord_Salamander
16-08-2006, 02:29
Ok, I have just heard from a "Red Shirt" (mind you, in my local GW store, they just wear casual clothing) that the box may contain the following...

- 20 guardians
- 10 dire avengers
- 1 war walker (maybe)
- 1 wave serpent
- 1 wraithlord

Im not sure bout this one.. it looks a bit too good to be true....

Asuril
16-08-2006, 03:10
Highly unlikely. I'm pretty sure guardians are being repackaged with 12 + platform... so...

Plus, I dunno... thats 2 heavies in there. I don't think it'll be both a lord and a walker.

Lord_Salamander
16-08-2006, 07:53
Yeah, im thinking that they wont have the walker, but they'll have the wraithlord (please!!!), as well as the wave serpent and troops, though with a reduced number of guardians.

Looking at the 'nid box with the 'fex in it, im thinking its possible.... :D

bringerofdecay
16-08-2006, 10:46
Ok, I have just heard from a "Red Shirt" (mind you, in my local GW store, they just wear casual clothing) that the box may contain the following...

- 20 guardians
- 10 dire avengers
- 1 war walker (maybe)
- 1 wave serpent
- 1 wraithlord

Im not sure bout this one.. it looks a bit too good to be true....

i think:
12 guardians
1 heavy weapon platform
10 dire avengers
1 war walker
1 wave serpent (i would like to say grav tank, but i doubt that will happen, too much like the old box)
and chances
1 vyper

sound feasable(sp)? it sounds abot right to me

Eideu
16-08-2006, 12:06
This rumour starts by saying its from the mail order guy and the GW sytaff can order it now.

Homer S
16-08-2006, 13:14
Highly unlikely. I'm pretty sure guardians are being repackaged with 12 + platform... so...

Fact: On the latest order guide for stores, the Guardian box is unchanged. The Storm Guardian box is no longer available.

Guess: I think they will repackage the Stormies but not the Guardians.

Homer Out

TomKamakazi
16-08-2006, 13:49
i think:
12 guardians
1 heavy weapon platform
10 dire avengers
1 war walker
1 wave serpent (i would like to say grav tank, but i doubt that will happen, too much like the old box)
and chances
1 vyper

sound feasable(sp)? it sounds abot right to me

I think that lot, minus the Vyper would put it at about right in my opinion.

Looking at the more recent battle force boxes (in AUD and GBP) your $150 or £50 gets you:

Tyranids:
Guants: $50/£18
Warriors: $50/£18
Genestealers: $40/£15
Carnifex: $65/£25

Tau:
Crisis Suit $30/£10
Fire Warriors: $50/£18
Kroot: $50/£18
Stelth suits: $35/£12
Devilfish: $55/£20

Which would lead me to believe:

Guardians + Platform: $50/£18 (Speculation)
Dire Avengers: $50/£18
Waveserpent: $65/£20
Warwalker: $50/£15 (Current price)

Slightly less value in Sterling, but around about right in Aussie dollars. Assuming that the warwalker dosen't change in price.

boogle
17-08-2006, 10:08
well if it does actually come as stated, then i would hope that when the Eldar get their Megaforce, i would imagine, that they will get the following:
12 Guardians + Platform
10 Dire Avengers
2 Warwalkers
1 Wave Serpent
1 Wraithlord
1 Falcon
1 Vyper

that would give:
2 troops (or 1 HQ with a little bit of DA fiddling), 1 with Transport
2 Fast Attack (if the Warwalkers are to be moved to FA from HS)
2 HS

not a bad all round selection, just needs a Farseer, a couple of Aspects and some Rangers for a good all-round force

Gen_eV
04-10-2006, 00:50
Why is it all newly released £50 boxes contain all the necesities to play from out the box (HQ, 2 troops, and extras) when the eldar one wont, it just seems a little fishy is all

Well, Marines, Tyranids, Tau, BT and Chaos all have Plastic commanders.
Eldar don't.

It's as simple as that, really. The way Eldar are, the Commanders are utterly different in look to the basic troopers, so Eldar players are stuck with having to shell out for a Commander. Personally, I don't see the problem - it still comes out at incredibly good value (relative to individual boxed sets, not as an absolute, obviously)

Myself, if I ever collect Eldar, I'll give it a miss based on the fact that I'm not gonna be taking any War Walkers, Vypers or Guardians in my aarmy, no matter how poorly it'll play on the tabletop. A full Swordwind force for me, I think.

Bregalad
04-10-2006, 08:45
Well, for the same price you get the Autarch and Farseer in different variants. Plastic has a little less detail than metall (and metall less than resin), so having a couple of more detailed minis to chose from, is not bad.

self biased
06-10-2006, 00:38
what always perplexes me is why people who already have plenty of X or Y feel the need to contribute to these threads. as someone who has for the last few years desired to start an eldar army, the army box and two battalions makes an excellent foundation for any eldar army. bottom line is that the battalion boxes aren't aimed at older players.

it reminds me of the way people whine when the marines get something new/and/or different. marines are the gateway drug of 40k. the batallion is a fantastic deal if you buy two, which is what i'm planning on doing.

charlie_c67
06-10-2006, 15:53
it reminds me of the way people whine when the marines get something new/and/or different. marines are the gateway drug of 40k. the batallion is a fantastic deal if you buy two, which is what i'm planning on doing.

Ah but moaning bout marines is a natoinal sport for non-marine players don'tcherknow? Least it often seems that way :angel:

Just a thought but if you're going for two battleon boxes why not save the extra 45 and go for the biggy?

TheWarSmith
06-10-2006, 16:03
So, are there any confirmations on what are in the battleforce($90) and the megaforce($150 usually)?

My only for sure predictoin is that there will be 3 warwalkers in the megaforce. We saw this with the piranhas and I think it will be the same.

charlie_c67
06-10-2006, 16:11
Yup, believe it's here:
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99120104010&orignav=9
here:
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=60110104092&orignav=9
And cos it's funny:
http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2772721

shin'keiro
06-10-2006, 16:27
he's white and dirty.... does he get an invunerable save?...lol

aylw
06-10-2006, 17:41
what always perplexes me is why people who already have plenty of X or Y feel the need to contribute to these threads. as someone who has for the last few years desired to start an eldar army, the army box and two battalions makes an excellent foundation for any eldar army. bottom line is that the battalion boxes aren't aimed at older players.

Just wanted you to know, the old box( about £75 value) was a lot better priced. The new box (about £65 value) gives you like, £10 less value and no jungle trees (!). In fact, the new box is just a bit over the value of the WORST value boxes set, Dark Eldar. If I were starting out I'd buy at least 1 set of the old boxed set instead. Or play marines (£72 value boxed set).

Oh, and I have a feeling WW are going to continue being unsatisfactory Heavy choices, rather have that Vyper.

Wolf-Tau
06-10-2006, 18:18

I am helping my brother start an Eldar army, I have plenty of 40k knowledge but very little in the way of putting an Eldar Army together.

My question is for the PURE starter, (my brother player Chaos in 3rd ed and left due to money reasons) does it look like the Army Box is the best deal troop and $$$ wise??

The one that is $245 US. Because personally I don't think he cares about the limited edition HQ, but he wants more bang for his buck. So are there better ways to get the necessary troops cheaper? to me I say no, because the battle force boxes really seem to lack something. And if I take over his army down the road, I feel the Army box is gives a better seletion of troops. Am I wrong?

WT

charlie_c67
06-10-2006, 18:18
he's white and dirty.... does he get an invunerable save?...lol

No, but he gets an extra Ld for being nerdy ;)

Back on topic, I'd say go for the bigger box to start with as it gives you a mix of core units and others, you get the relevant codex from the off and you get a nice special mini to take pride in.

Karhedron
06-10-2006, 19:46
and you get a nice special mini to take pride in.
Or buy a reguar Autarch and sell the Ltd Ed one on eBay for silly money to recoup some of the cost of the army in the first place. ;)

TheWarSmith
06-10-2006, 21:27
any clue what will be in the "megaforce"?

Not the battleforce or the army, but the megaforce

self biased
08-10-2006, 03:44
it's going to be the army deal with the autarch, and two batallions. i should have made that more clear.

Lornak Bloodgreed
15-10-2006, 22:50
I got to pre-order my battleforce today, ^^. In the Megaforce, or the "Special Edititon Autarch Box" you get 10 guardians, 10 new Dire Avengers, 6 new Banshees, 6 new Fire Dragons, a new Heavy Weapon Platform, the new Wraithlord, a Falcon Grav Tank, a Vyper Jetbike, and the Limited Edition Autarch. I pre-ordered that one too, I cant wait until the 26th of October. Eldar Rule man!

Leminy_Fresch
16-10-2006, 04:02
I think they should switch out the Wave Serpent for a Falcon Grav Tank.
More guardians are needed.
You can drop the Vyper for more basic troops.
The War Walker is fine.

invivos
16-10-2006, 10:12
Geez, I prefer the old/current Eldar box, this new one is a major rippoff! One crappy looking warwalker? Why not have something useful in the box like the plastic Wraithlord hmmm ala the Carnifex in the nid box? A serpent, oh yeah a must have in a battle box.... :rolleyes: Dire Avengers...oh sure they“re new and made of plastic, they just need to be in the box!!! *sarcasm off*

I won“t buy this for box sure.

Inq. Veltane
16-10-2006, 10:19
I'd rather more of the new Avengers and less Guardians. Honestly, people need to realise that under the new codex Avengers are AWESOME. Far better than Guardians. I agree about the WW though, I'd much rather a Vyper.

The Dude
17-10-2006, 00:03
Geez, I prefer the old/current Eldar box, this new one is a major rippoff! One crappy looking warwalker? Why not have something useful in the box like the plastic Wraithlord hmmm ala the Carnifex in the nid box? A serpent, oh yeah a must have in a battle box.... :rolleyes: Dire Avengers...oh sure they´re new and made of plastic, they just need to be in the box!!! *sarcasm off*

So, what, are you saying that you want a box with 1 minimum size squad of Guardians, a Wraithlord, a Falcon and 3 Vypers or something? Get a grip :rolleyes:

I think people aren't really getting what this box is for. Yes it gives you the basis for a starting army, but it also gives a VARIETY of miniatures. Yes they may not create a dynamic, tournament ready army, but it gives people who are starting a tate of everything.

I personally will be quite happy to start an army with this box.

bobert the great clen one
17-10-2006, 00:17
well id buy this box buuut i think i just sold my soul to the laughing god (im buying 30 harlies:D)

Cheesehead
17-10-2006, 01:44
I've got my codex and war walkers pre-ordered at the GW shop down here. The manager said he "hoped" they'd get both in before the 11/4 release date. I have a game that weekend and I'd love to have the new book. Does "release date" of 11/4 mean that it will be available in the store that day?

Lornak Bloodgreed
17-10-2006, 19:36
First off, :rolleyes: the war walkers look awsome,:D much better than before at least, I would have prefered to see a robotic or wraithbone walker unmanned and uses 4 heavey weapons instead, like those things from MGS 4, the weapon walkers. Nextly, the contents of the battleforce COULD be better, more close combat choices and generally more in it, but I thinkfor the money it is fine. Also, the battle force is just a battleforce, a detachment, a... fraction of the total army, a combat force for the race, so it wouldnt have anthing less than 2 or 3 special units in there and the rest are normal units. Finally, I also think that maybe GW should rethink thebattle force idea, I alsays belive that the battleforces were all the units that are made for special missions, or like my previous statement that they are detachments from the main army insted of the actual main army. This making tyhem EXPANSIONS to the main army youhave built up. ok?:D ;)

Wolf-Tau
17-10-2006, 21:17
I ordered the Eldar army box for my brother. It looks like it will good for the beginner. I wish they would throw in a bit more for the price. $245 with about $275 worth of stuff. They/GW should have given it a "value" of $300.00 at GW prices., GW would sell more boxes that way and save on packaging. Hell, I might have gotten one for myself, NEW Army Syndrome is contagious.

WT