PDA

View Full Version : Night Goblin Archers

DeathMasterSnikch
05-08-2006, 18:57
Anyone think night goblin archers are dodgey? They spend their time living in caves yet they can shoot as well as normal goblins. They wear hoods to prevent their eyes being damaged due to sunlight so surely normal goblins should be better archers. Anyone think it would be more characterful to have night goblin archers with a penalty of some sort to shooting? That way normal goblins might be more useful. So far Night goblins dominate normal goblins due to there being no real stat difference and the ability to house fanatics.

Ganymede
05-08-2006, 19:08
There is really no point at giving the night goblins some sort of shooting penalty. As the effectiveness of both varieties of goblin shooting is already of questionable worth, any nerf would make it so no one took them.

You are better off disallowing any shooting at all for night goblins; it will achieve the same effect without a dreamy pretence that people might actually still take the night goblin shooting.

squiggoth
05-08-2006, 19:34
But everybody knows that Night Goblins only fight when it's dark outside, and thus it's very dodgy that Common Goblins can shoot as well as Night Goblins in the same army, even though their eyes aren't adapted to the darkness.

:p

DeathMasterSnikch
05-08-2006, 19:52
Still, there better be some incentiveto include normal goblins. everyones using night goblins these days. Claiming that night gobbos only fight when it's dark should surely mean that other armys should be less accurate...

deadkez
05-08-2006, 20:00
Night gobs vs Common gobs:
I think the fact that ngs have a lower Ld and can't take armour is a big drawback. I think your choice of artillary should be reduced if you don't have common goblins (ie chukkas and lobbas become a rare choice, no doom divers).
Perhaps new rules will contain something along these lines.

Night goblins are going to be popular at the moment- they are in the next box set.

As for the shooting thing, you can't make goblins any worse at shooting, they are pointless enough at it is.

squiggoth
05-08-2006, 20:14
Yup, the new book will bring back some of the older 'if-then' restrictions that the 6th edition army book lacked - for example, you must have a unit of Common Goblins to field a Common Goblin Warboss (who has the better Ld, so is normally the Warboss of choice for all-goblin players) and you need Common Goblin mobz to field certain war machines.
Right now, there is no need at all to field Common Goblin archers, apart from looks - the current Night Goblins have clunky, square hands and the Common Goblin hands look much better. Ruleswise, Night Goblin archers are the better choice due to (the threat of) Fanatics, and not being able to take armour isn't a problem for archer mobz anyway. The only redeeming feature of Common Goblin archers is their higher Ld.

DeathMasterSnikch
05-08-2006, 22:40
I just miss the fact that common goblins are rarely used (I know many people on the forums will disagree but I havn't seen any used in stores in a long long time :( ). Supose making them worse at shooting would be about as good as removing it,(not that im against that (but I know everyone with night goblin archers will) because when are night goblins going to be using bows in tunnel fighting?) it just struck me at one point that it was strange that a unit spending it's time in dank tunnels, fearing light were just as good at shooting as goblins who lived on the open plains and hills.

strv
06-08-2006, 09:50
Night goblin have the classic archer role. because they're sneakier and used to be last last editions archers.

truthsayer
06-08-2006, 11:02
Lord of the Rings goblins can shoot bows!

*Runs for cover*

Bortus
06-08-2006, 11:15
Hey, you know what? I think it's all in the mushrooms!

Gazak Blacktoof
06-08-2006, 12:13
Honestly people have you seen the size of some of the "tunnels" that the dwarfs, night goblins and skaven fight wars in? They are huge!

There's enough room down there for entire armies and warmachines. If the ceilings were too low the squigs would keep hitting the ceilings and braining the goblins on their backs (?/tops). If there's enough room to go crazy and start swinging a ball on a very long chain whilst being jumped up on funny fungus there's plenty of room to fire a bow.

truthsayer
06-08-2006, 12:46
Honestly people have you seen the size of some of the "tunnels" that the dwarfs, night goblins and skaven fight wars in? They are huge!

There's enough room down there for entire armies and warmachines. If the ceilings were too low the squigs would keep hitting the ceilings and braining the goblins on their backs (?/tops). If there's enough room to go crazy and start swinging a ball on a very long chain whilst being jumped up on funny fungus there's plenty of room to fire a bow.

'Shoot' a Bow.

I agree though, they wouldnt be using bows in smaller tunnels but when in the halls of dwarfs they would potentially have lots of room.

Cpt. Drill
06-08-2006, 13:06
In all fairness... how many night goblin archers do you ever see on the battlefield?

I have only ever seen two units ever in my whole existyence of gaming!

And Gazak BlackToof is right.... this is the fantasy world there are going to be massive underground caverns with ceilings higher than 16" or is it 24" for a goblin bow?