PDA

View Full Version : Where are GW products manufactured?

Shadowfax
05-08-2006, 23:31
Do they have manufacturing facilities in both the UK and North America, or is everything made in Britain and imported to North America?

Aurelien
06-08-2006, 00:18
I believe they have facilities in both places, and I heard they were looking at setting some up in Oz as well. Believe that when I see it however.

Though the US might be limited to either plastic or pewter, but not both. I could be mistaken however.

n00bLord
06-08-2006, 00:22
Look it up on the web you should be able to find it. Sadly I have no answer

Chaos and Evil
06-08-2006, 00:29
They've been increasingly outsourcing some products from China too.

starlight
06-08-2006, 00:40
Lenton is the primary factory which supplies the world minus America. Memphis, Tenn in the US is the factory for the US. Canada is slowly switching from the UK to the US factory (it's been three years and they still haven't sorted it out).

Gotchaye
06-08-2006, 08:34
The price of their miniatures is just about the strongest argument I've ever heard for globalization and outsourcing. Is there a reason why they haven't moved to China?

Aurelien
06-08-2006, 09:06
Because of the PR stink that will happen when they do and their prices go up;)

Chaos and Evil
06-08-2006, 09:11
Also they already have the factories established. Once you have them set up it's cheaper to produce them yourself.

For anything they don't have set up, (like making army cases, or mass-production resin scenery pieces ala the Cities of Death ones), outsourcing is cheaper.

Crazy Harborc
07-08-2006, 04:10
Now that the USA "factory" is coming on-line with more made in the USA goodies, costs will be reduced. No more (exit taxes going out of the UK) for sure no more import taxes into the USA. No more shipping costs from the UK to the USA. Will GW reduce USA/Canada prices to reflect the companies shipping, import fees/ taxes etc.........why certainly, just like they did in July.:rolleyes:

starlight
07-08-2006, 04:15
Canada still isn't reliably getting product from the US. It's only been three years of attempts and the Yanks *still* can't seem to get the orders right.:( So instead of fixing the problem (the US picking) they've decided to simply force the issue through and accept that there will be massive amounts of mis-ships - thus costs are on their way up............again.:(

While I was at GWCan the accuracy from the US factory was about 50% and according to *information*:angel: it hasn't improved.:(

insaniak
07-08-2006, 05:18
Lenton is the primary factory which supplies the world minus America. Memphis, Tenn in the US is the factory for the US. Canada is slowly switching from the UK to the US factory (it's been three years and they still haven't sorted it out).

Actually, a lot of Australia's stock comes from the US as well now. Or at least, quite a lot of the boxes I've received over the last 3 months have had GW US's 'Product of USA' sticker on them.

Sai-Lauren
07-08-2006, 09:49
The price of their miniatures is just about the strongest argument I've ever heard for globalization and outsourcing. Is there a reason why they haven't moved to China?

Yes, the issues associated with having their developers producing greens and 3-ups in Nottingham, then having to package them up and ship them to the other side of the world, and have the chinese production team work out what they want, produce it (remember I-Kore? :eek: ), ship the protoypes back for approval, get change requests or confirmation.

Admittedly, with the 3d modelling for plastics, that's less of an issue (ftp'ing files), but there's still a lot of hassle and time taken.
It could also be that GWs production numbers don't make it economic (or as economic as it could be), their production runs are probably in the thousands rather than 10s of thousands (or even millions) that someone like Hasbro can order. And that's not counting all the other products that are being produced in those countries.

Plus GW keeping it in house means they can respond quicker to problems (mould issues, stock shortages caused by under-estimation of demand and so on).

Also, places like China may currently be cheaper than in house, but who's to say that'll still be the case in three-five years time? IIRC, average wages in the sorts of economies you're talking about have been rising massively recently.
Also, GW could well be getting some government grants or tax breaks for providing employment in an "economic regeneration area" or something similar.