PDA

View Full Version : New Special Character (Skaven)

n00bLord
06-08-2006, 02:13
This guy will be used for a campaign that'll be held with a few friends and I would like some imput from the special people here at warseer. I am trying to make him characterful as can be but not uber.

Skreesk must be used exactly as presented. He must be the army's general

Skreesk Hassk - Pts 325
Type : Warlord
M/ WS/ BS/ S/ T/ W/ I/ A/ LD
5---6---5--5--4--4--6--4--8

Weapons: X2 Hand Weapons. X2 Warplock Pistol

Armor: Heavy Armor

-SPECIAL RULES-

Gun Slinger: Skreesk can fire both Warplock pistols at a target but by doing so there seems to be a streak of bad luck that follows. Before rolling to hit roll a d6 for both shots. On a 1, or a 2 Skreesk's weapons back fire and inflict 1 strength five hits with a -1 to armor for each failed roll. If this happens more than once Skreesk's second pistol is completely destroyed and this ability cannot be used for the rest of the battle. Only both pistols can be fired in this manner

Zero Tolerance!: If Skreesk is apart of a unit and that unit is fleeing from any situation roll a d6. The number rolled equals to the number of models killed by Skreesk out of anger. Victory points are not awarded to the opposing player.

Sword Mastery: Skreesk is effectively a master in a more defensive style of fighting. This allows an addition +1 modification to Skreesks armor save. Only usable in close combat. In addition Skreesk can deny himself the additional bonus attack, but aswell deny an attack of any enemy model in base contact.

See Ya: If Skreesk fails his Ld test at the end of any round where he was in a challenge; he goes strait to the back of the unit and the challenge is ended. If he is not with in a unit he stays puts.

Magic Items

The Foul Pendant - Page 38 of the Skaven Army Book

The Feigling Tabard - The Feigling Tabard reduces the weapon skill of all enemy models in base contact by one and their initiative.

Skalm V2.0- Page 38 of the Skaven Army Book. (Only heals Skreesk)

Tell me if you can reword any of the special rules because they may seem confusing. And if the points are off just tell me.

Nell2ThaIzzay
06-08-2006, 02:18
I dunno what his magic items do, but that's probably more balanced than anything that's actually in the Skaven book...

n00bLord
06-08-2006, 02:20
Foul pendant does a ward save on a 5

Ring Of darkness (1) magic resistance and items can be scryed or revealed. Only the ring would show up.

Skalm fully heals a unit. v2.0 isn't a normal item it only heals him. Hope that helps.

DeathMasterSnikch
06-08-2006, 02:34
That v2.0 is confusing me...

Appart from that is he supposed to be from a warlord clan or one of the 4 greater clans? I'm sure he could have a more characterful item than the ring of darkness.

n00bLord
06-08-2006, 02:37
Just a Warlord clan the White Fangs. My army ;)

Well I wanted him to be more of a fun guy instead of major pwningness. I may swap that.

Or heres a nother deal for ya. Cursed Blade of Delerium and the Languisher sword with warp stone armor and warp stone ammy. Hows that? :eek:

DeathMasterSnikch
06-08-2006, 02:53
...First of all I wasn't trying to make teh uber strong 1337 character...otherwise it would be zomg! he has teh fellblade, twisted crown, skalm and teh storm demon for he is a lvl 4 mage zomg U R teh n00b! I pwnt you...*slap myself while repeating hero-hammer is gone* not sure what came over me...

second the only Skaven who can have 2 magical weapons is Queek :) although i prefered it when it was Dwarf Gouger instead of 'The gouger' and 'Dwarf-Slayer'.

'I just dont think the ring of darkness is very characterful for a warlord, plus its a Talisman just like foul pendant, only 1 per character (I know it's a special character but still...). Try some form of armour or somthing, could always make him carry his own standard (banner of the swarm etc)

Edit: putting fullstops or underscores will make the numbers aligned with the stat

n00bLord
06-08-2006, 02:56
Yeah i see. I'll lop of the ring. I don't want to make him to armorish... Maybe a standard like you noted? I'll check it out.

By the way how are the special rules?

DeathMasterSnikch
06-08-2006, 03:36
Special rules?

Edit: Forget that, don't know where the moment of blank mindednes came from.

Special rules look great, See ya and Zero Tolerance are realy characterful, although I think you might be overpricing him, Snikch was priced at 515 in the WD and he was a monster.

Consider making him also count as the army standard bearer if you decide to give him one of the magic banners. That way it could justify making him cost a quarter of an average games points.

Edit 2: Stoutys points below are good. Higher BS and the defensive style.

Stouty
06-08-2006, 03:38
Wouldn't rules dev be a better place for this? [/*******] Sorry :)

Since the main point of him is that he's a skaven gunslinger I'd get rid of as much of the generic stuff as possible.

See ya, whilst charcterful doesn't really work that well in terms of mechanics. It would be better to say if he fails his Ld test at the end of any round where he was in a challenge; he goes strait to the back of the unit and the challenge is ended. If there is no unit, tough.

Wouldn't a high balistic skill rather than weapon skill make sense? Ws-5 Bs-6?

If he's mastered defense would it not make sense to lose the extra attack for 2 hand weapons? Seems to me he's just parrying as much as possible. Maybe you could trade attacks (you minus 1 attack from yourself to minus one from any enemy in BTB contact).

To me it seems like there are to characters in that guy:
1)Cowardly gunslinger (rather cool I might add)
2)"Hard as..." warlord type that gets mad and kill stuff when his troops run away.

Kinda conflict to me. Pick a theme and run with it.

n00bLord
06-08-2006, 03:47
Well he can't be a single dimensional character other wise he gets boring. I'll re do some stats and swap some stuff the imput has been majorly helpful.

@ Stouty. The killing the clan rats is like "If it wasn't for them I would have succeeded" sorta thing. So to hide his own mistakes he blames his own men and kills them for it. I kinda like it. I'll make him lean a little more to the gun slinger and make him also a BSB.

[edited text}

I like your version of See Ya a bit better Stouty I will incorperate that :)

Ganymede
06-08-2006, 04:39
I don't think this model should be a BSB, as he would no longer be able to dual wield swords and pistols.

Additionally, I think his wounds and leadership are excessive. I'd drop them both down a point.

Alathir
06-08-2006, 05:00
Looks good to me, I love it when people make their own characters. Its been said before but it seems to me he has two conflicting personalities... the malevolent leader who despises cowardice and failure but he is also a coward himself... although this may be kind of appropiate for a Skaven... I dont know much about their pysche.

Cool rules by the way

n00bLord
06-08-2006, 05:14
Ganymede you right, I'll drop the BS.

@ Alathir. The personality makes perfect sense. He is a coward but he doesn't want his higher ups to know that. And by doing so he will kill clan rats and blame them of on their failure or other such units. But when he is faced with say a Blood Dragon he'll pop up for a round or two of shooting and get the heck outta there.

The Ld could be plausable. If I drop his Ld a point hes gone standard and 3 wounds is standard. I'll play test him with my own models real quick in certain situations and tell every one about it.

[edit]

I took off the Battle Standard and added a custom magic item that fits in I guess. Tell me what you think?

DeathMasterSnikch
06-08-2006, 05:57
I don't think this model should be a BSB, as he would no longer be able to dual wield swords and pistols..

I don't believe the current skaven warlord model has a problem with having a banner pole and a 2h weapon...This is a special character. Normaly I don't think you can dual wield pistols, a banner pole doesn't need to be held with hands.

Edit: Characters looking good at the moment, personality fits that of Thanquol who I find amusing, custom magic items good not an uber powerful item and fits nicely.

n00bLord
06-08-2006, 06:02
Well I did some test playing with him alone. He went up against these competitors.

20 spear rats

1 assassin with warp stone stars

1 plauge priest with bands of power x2 weapons

The Deathmaster!

Heres how it went with the spear rats. Skreesk started off first about eight inches away and fired off two rounds with his pistols at the same time killing two. Than after that the rats charged him he held and their attacks were futile. He retaliated and killed two. Than for the rest of the fight he killed two at a time until the reduced them to ten. Mind you he never discounted his additional attack. He finished off the last three rounds like this. He killed four than one than five in the end. He was hit several times but his save pulled through

A shooty battle between the assassin. They stood about six inches away Skreesk won the roll off and fired both pistols. Well he got a one on one dice and suffered a wound whilst dealing one to the assassin. Than the assassin threw three starts in return one missed the other two hit dead on but were saved by luck. He fired his two pistols off again. Rolled a two :eek: and blam wounded himself again. But in turn killed the assassin.

The plauge priest didn't go first. He was about seven inches away when it started. Skreesk did what he does best. Shoot. Capping off two shots one failed him again 0.o but he saved. Nothing happened to the priest. The priest activated the bracers through a little rules twist :rolleyes: and pulled off his plethora of attacks and wounded Skreesk thrice. Ouch! Skreesk returned the favor and luckily killed the priest in one go.

The Deathmaster... This was a odd fight. Skreesk went second this time. The Deathmaster started off hurling warp stone stars. To Skreesk's luck he was wounded thrice and spent his turn healing with the Skalm. I fired back at the assassin and did surprisingly no damage. One went through but the ward save caught it. Snitch (My name for DMS) charged and had his WS downed to 8 but still landed three attacks. The rest were surprisngly saved by Skreesk and than it was his turn. All misses. The next turn Snitch swung out to kill and guess what. Killing Blow! :evilgrin: And it turned out his mark was true and he put out the little warlord.

How does that look to you?

DeathMasterSnikch
06-08-2006, 06:05
Like I said it's looking good. Manages to hold his own against rank normal heroes yet isn't the monster snikch is.

n00bLord
06-08-2006, 06:08
You shoulda seen my old Plauge Lord special character I pull out once to get a friend to shut up about his executioners :)

DeathMasterSnikch
06-08-2006, 06:10
Custom character or are you refering to Skrolk?

n00bLord
06-08-2006, 06:12
Custom this guy was like phr34k1ng uber. By the way I am pleased with Skreesk and I have decided to create a model for him. Planning on using Queeks body as the base hack of his hands and head and GS a tabard on him and other such work and swap a new head. And more GS work. Would be my first real conversion.

DeathMasterSnikch
06-08-2006, 06:16
Nice, sweet choice of model too, hands are in good positions for a pistol user. I was going to use the Queek model as a warlord at one point and even converted a warplock pistol for him from a plasma pistol and some greenstuff work...couldn't bear to cut up Queek though considering it was the only one I had.

Make sure you post pics of the conversion when it's done.

n00bLord
06-08-2006, 06:20
I own the Death Master's beautiful model and for a second I thought of cutting one up. Never once did that again...

The queek model I need possesion first, who else sells it other than GW themselves. For the hammer hand of Queeks I am going to just hack it off. The other one I'll just cut the sword off at the cross guard and replace it with a different one. I got some nice bits to throw around but I want something truly unique. Ideas on the swords would be nice.

Should I have both swords sheathed With pistols out? Both swords out pistols holstered? Or one of each in hand?

DeathMasterSnikch
06-08-2006, 06:24
Queek can be found on ebay right now, I'll try to find the link (saw him earlier when looking for Skrolk, the only special character I don't have yet). As for the model go whatever way you like. Getting 2 plasma pistols converted could be hard but it would be a pretty sweet conversion.

Snikch is was started my army :) Uncle painted it 12 years back and it's my most prized model (People will get sick of me saying that eventualy).

Edit: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warhammer-Skaven-WARLORD-QUEEK-HEADTAKER-OOP_W0QQitemZ200014021826QQihZ010QQcategoryZ44130Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That won't be any good if you dont live in the UK but mail boxes don't narrow it down that well :p
Think GW will still stock it in the collectors part.

n00bLord
06-08-2006, 06:30
Well it does make a difference that I live in the US. You did inspire me to create this, when I get my hands on that model. Very soon. I'll let you know. I got over 100 USD right now... I got enough to play around with for him.

Now I am damn overly excited about this project...

DeathMasterSnikch
06-08-2006, 06:33
Sadly the US sellers on ebay only have a painted queek (poor job too). Either wait for one to come up on ebay or use the store. Doubt Queek would go above 15 dollars including p+p on ebay...

Edit: That's not including p+p but thats never much.

n00bLord
06-08-2006, 06:37
The one at GW is 8 bucks with the 15% shipping rate thats not too much. I may order it tomarrow depending on how everything goes. As me not having a credit/debit card thats a little on the hard side ;) I thank you for your efforts.

DeathMasterSnikch
06-08-2006, 06:41
If your incredibly lucky they may still have some in the GW stores classified as warlords. I almost picked up Ikit Claw that way...then I relised id spent more than planned on new pots of scab red and stormvermin...got it off ebay for under £6 so no problem there :p

...Now to win this WHQ Chaos warrior...

n00bLord
06-08-2006, 07:09
Problem is I don't have a GW by me. City of over 60,000 isn't got a chance. I'll most likely order it or Ebay it. My exponentially older birthing patriarch owns a ebay store so I may get him to order it for me if I shell out the cash. Where is a good place to get Green stuff any way?

DeathMasterSnikch
06-08-2006, 07:19
Only place I know of is GW website im afraid.

Edit: I used the Tallarn Desert Raider Sergeant 1 plasma pistol as a warplock pistol, prefer that the the ones that the normal warlock engineers carry. Lucky considering I think I found that lying on the road on my grandparents street as a child.

Part Code: 9947010500506

Stouty
06-08-2006, 16:36
It's good that you playtested him versus some stuff but that sort off stuff may hold little relvence in a game situation. You seem like you have a fairly friendly and open gaming group (consider yourself lucky) so see if you can't use him in a couple 2000pts games and see how he gets on.

Be as beardy as you can with him or you'll never know his limits.

n00bLord
06-08-2006, 18:25
I have made some cheesy characters to mess around with and I do know limitations fairly well in what will and won't work.

TheWarSmith
07-08-2006, 03:53
A suggestion for zero tolerance

Version 1: If skaven fail a Ld roll while being led, roll a d6 and kill that many models. In addition, lower their roll for ld. This essentially kills off models to scare them into fighting.

Version 2: (maybe he can choose) Remove as many wounds from the unit as the unit lost combat by. Basically makes them undead kinda.

Version 3: Remove X models, automatically pass break test(must choose before the roll)