PDA

View Full Version : Scatter rolls!

Toppan
06-08-2006, 03:45
I love my scatter rolls! (i use lobbas) Theyre sadly funny and bring a lot of fun to the game no matter what they hit. So here we go, tell me your stories about amazing hits, or amazing misses, whatever!

Mine was, my last ork in a squad got a direct hit on top of his wee head after being scattered 6 inches. The circle was right over his poor head...it was horribly funny. Its also sad that nearly every time i scatter i hit a vehicle, but my lobbas cant hurt them most of the time.

What about you?

Norminator
06-08-2006, 03:57
I once fired a demolisher cannon at Marneus Calgar, is scattered and took out a devastator squad, a tactical squad and a command squad :D

MadJackMcJack
06-08-2006, 03:59
My only scatter roll storys are from Warhammer, like the time my rock lobba dropped a rock right on top of both a unit of my orcs and the swordsmen they were fighting. The hit was enough to force a panic test in both, both units ran, and as they were both in CC, we decided that it should count as breaking from combat, which caused panic tests in other units. Needless to say, half our armies ended up running :rolleyes:

Malphax
06-08-2006, 04:11
My only scatter roll storys are from Warhammer, like the time my rock lobba dropped a rock right on top of both a unit of my orcs and the swordsmen they were fighting. The hit was enough to force a panic test in both, both units ran, and as they were both in CC, we decided that it should count as breaking from combat, which caused panic tests in other units. Needless to say, half our armies ended up running :rolleyes:

Morale sounds a lot more complicated in Fantasy. I am totally confused by your statement. Why would they all...? I'm lost.

starlight
06-08-2006, 05:10
Running away in WFB can cause nearby units to become paniced and also run away.

My Story:

3rd Ed - last turn of the game - my Orks against his Marines - Objectives.

We've been battling hard for the objective all game - finally he has it and he's running away and there's almost nothing I can do to stop him.

Almost.:evilgrin:

I call 37.5" and roll a *Hit*.:D KA-Chang-BOOM.:evilgrin:

My last shot of the game drops an Earthshaker round square on his Commander and obliterates the entire Squad. The Objective falls to the ground - Draw.:D

Toppan
06-08-2006, 06:48
i love guess rolls, i think im going to make it a rule to do that every time even if they changed it :P

johhny-turbo
06-08-2006, 07:27
I was playing against my friend's IG and the mortar landed behind the unit firing it

MadJackMcJack
06-08-2006, 08:01
Morale sounds a lot more complicated in Fantasy. I am totally confused by your statement. Why would they all...? I'm lost.

It is. Basically, if a unit breaks while in close combat, nearby units have to take a panic test. Some tactics are built around that rule, smashing one unit in order to cause panic throughout the enemy ranks.

neXus6
06-08-2006, 08:14
I love guess range, it's so much fun. :p
Hmm, I really need to get one of my Fantasy armies painted. Hah, like that'll happen.

Best 40k scatter story, Demolisher cannon at a Dark Angels command squad right in front of a Standard Russ. True to form the shot ploughs into the side of the Russ and obliterates it. :p
Yes I could have just shot the Battle Cannon but where's the fun in that. :D

Krusk
06-08-2006, 08:34
Hitting my own Steam Tank with MY Great Cannon, and nearly destroying it is memorable to me. And how can I not mention the games in which my Rock Lobba hit NOTHING, despite the fact that the Empire army was in the classical "fortress" formation, and I was guessing right on every shot, and then the next game, the damn thing destroy's all the enemy artillary, a unit of Inner Circle Knights, and routes half the enemy army.

neXus6
06-08-2006, 08:41
Krusk that's brilliant. I can just imagine the background for that incident seeing how rare Steam Tanks are. :p

As for the Rock Lobba surely the fact that it didn't fall to bits during the first turn of both games is something to be happy about. :D
This is all making me want to do a guess range heavy army now. :rolleyes:

Scythe
06-08-2006, 09:30
Hmm, the funniest scatter roll lately has to go to my opponent firing his Vindicator at my guardsmen. The shot went 6" wide and landed on his pimped Librarian rushing in to smash my battleline apart...

It should be noted that that same Vindicator only managed to kill space marines the whole battle...;)

UnRiggable
06-08-2006, 15:31
Best Scatter roll = hitting the person who shot it

Codsticker
06-08-2006, 16:50
My favourite shot was during a game this past spring against a Black Templars.

-Demolisher shell on a Land Raider Crusader loaded with Assault Terminators (with obligatory Chaplain and Emperor's Champion) that's going like 90 towards my lines.
-Direct hit.
-Rolls a 6 to penetrate.
-Rolls a 6 on the Ordnance penetrating Chart- everybody on board killed.

Outlaw289
06-08-2006, 19:40
I was playing against my friend's IG and the mortar landed behind the unit firing it

Mortars dont scatter, IIRC

MadJackMcJack
06-08-2006, 20:26
You IIRC wrong. Page 31 of the rule book.

Outlaw289
06-08-2006, 20:30
You IIRC wrong. Page 31 of the rule book.

Thanks but that first part doesnt make any sense

brother_fandango
06-08-2006, 21:06
I fired the mine type missiles at my friend's IG, but they scattered into my Assult Marines, who didnt have jump packs... and i didnt want to risk them moving and setting off the mines, so i moved a squad of Bolter Marines into position to cover them.... but as it turns out I took them out with a not so goodly place vindy shell. not a good day.

and on top of it, he took out 6 marines and a Termie aurmored chaplin with a 10 strong squad of ratlings....

_The Brother

Lostanddamned
06-08-2006, 21:11
I won a game because my demolisher was one of two things left on the table. the other was a marine librarian of the Big kind who was standing ON the objective

I closed my eyes for the scatter roll, but it hit and then destroyed him.

Since then I seem undable to miss with IG ordnance... So tempted to take an AC

Lt. Co Steel
06-08-2006, 21:41
my story;

i was playing blood angels with my IG, and at around turn three i fired my basilisk at a rhino (the only thing left not in combat) and it grossly scattered. hitting a armoured fist seargent who was in combat with a squad of BA, the funny thing is that the previos assault phase the AF squad had been reduced to one man in combat, who then past his ledearship test, the BA then piled in around him in a perfect circle...............all were killed apart from the ba seargent.

Norminator
06-08-2006, 21:44
I once had a spore mine fired at my Dreadnought. My opponent was hoping it would hit the rear armour, which he had a good chance of damaging. However it scattered into the front of my Landraider crusader, which was just about to get into range and slaughter his gaunt brood. I thought 'well, there's no way he can hurt the LRC with a spore!' Then he got a glancing on the armour and then a vehicle destroyed result :(

Thylacine
07-08-2006, 02:12
Worst scatter stories?

I gave my son two Drop Pods and told him to watcht that they don't scatter off the back of the table. He placed the markers on either end of the table rolled and scattered off opposit sides of the table! That was not one of his better games, now he makes sure that he places the marker well into the table.

Second worst scatter event?

He takes his new Warhound Titan out for a walk, it is a bigish game 2,500 points, each time the Plasma Blast-gun fired it scattered either 11" or 12". He was totally devistated as not one shot hit. First thing he did was to pick up a tin of those black and silver dice, they are the only dice that he will use for the Titans, Drop Pods and the Vindicators. The new dice seem to work as he now lands most on his shots on the marker.

Thylacine:chrome:

Outlaw289
07-08-2006, 02:59
my story;

i was playing blood angels with my IG, and at around turn three i fired my basilisk at a rhino (the only thing left not in combat) and it grossly scattered. hitting a armoured fist seargent who was in combat with a squad of BA, the funny thing is that the previos assault phase the AF squad had been reduced to one man in combat, who then past his ledearship test, the BA then piled in around him in a perfect circle...............all were killed apart from the ba seargent.

Oh my! Thats awesome. Imagine something like that actually happening fluffwise? :p

cailus
07-08-2006, 03:52
Playing under 3rd ed. I had a 10 man 300 point unit of Assault Marines deepstriking into the battle. They scattered about 10 inches straight on top of the opposing Chaos force. Bye bye Assault Marines!

I once witnessed a huge 4,000 point battle between Iron Warriors and Khornate Black Legion. Both sides used about 18-20 Terminators a side. The Black Legion guy deep striked his 20-odd Khornate Termies and they scattered straight on top of the Iron Warrior force and all perished. With weapon upgrades this unit would've cost about 900 points and all they did was go splat.

Sergeant Tanthius
07-08-2006, 10:49
Best scatter?

I played a BA guy in a 1000 point once. His demolisher managed to kill 5 of his own veteran assault marines (tooled up to the max), shaken itself and stun his own landspeeder. He was also unable to kill by chaplain after 3 consecutive dead on hits, who was also the last model on my side of the field by turn 4. The demolisher just can't get 2+ and get me to roll 4-.

xibo
07-08-2006, 11:59
Best Scatter roll = hitting the person who shot it
Jappa. My defiler blasted himself!

onnotangu
07-08-2006, 15:52
I've fielded an all IG mortar force. 15 mortars at 1500 points. only 1/3rd of his army ever got to anything and it was shot to next week when it got in range.
Also melted half of a 2000 point Chaos army with 3 Mycetic spore sacks/
WHF:
I've scattered Posion wind globes into combat, and that vortex skaven grenade into Archaon.

Gargamel
07-08-2006, 16:40
Best scatter: my Catachan Junglefighter threw his bomb on some Chaos-Raptors, killed all of them and himself and i lost the game `cause of this 20 Points:mad:

Scythe
08-08-2006, 13:04
Look on the bright side: you would also have lost if the rapotors remained alive...;)

Eversor
08-08-2006, 13:42
:skull: Back in 2:nd edition, a friend of mine would routinely miss with his Hive Tyrant's Venom Cannon (it used to have a Thudd Gun template; 4 small templates arranged in a barrage fashion). It would invariably proceed to scatter on top of nearby Genestealers or Tyranid Warriors, making them go splat.

I even have vague memories of him having the thing scatter back on the Tyrant once. Or maybe twice. Aah, those were the days ;)

As for myself? I never miss ;)

x-esiv-4c
08-08-2006, 15:04
I had 5 out of 6 scatter rolls roll a hit.
I thought that was pretty unusual.