PDA

View Full Version : which is better daemon prince or greater daemon

lorcan
06-08-2006, 08:57
I was just wondering which charcter would be best served leading a daemon legion army. Would you choose a daemon Prince with the mark of Khorne or a Bloodthrister in a 2k army

maze ironheart
06-08-2006, 10:17
A bloodthrister could be going over board due to the fact that they cost about 600 point or more.I think thats wasting points if you face a army thats good at taking down deamons.Also you will then be limited to only a small amount of troops and if you face a horde army that could make it very hard.So you should go for a deamon prince.

Voltaire
06-08-2006, 10:26
Daemon Prince would serve you better.

Having played with a D.Prince, and then being able to use Spawn, a Giant or even a Hell Cannon, I find that the rare slot taken up by Greater Daemon is a hinderance. The extra support you can get from a Giant/Hellcannon/Spawn is going to do much more damage than the Bloodthirster.

DeathlessDraich
06-08-2006, 12:00
Having played against DP, Bloodthirster, Unclean One and a Keeper in DL armies, I can see the merits of both. It's almost impossible to choose.

In combat the Greater Daemons are stronger plus CR benefits. Their special abilities and magic in addition also justify their extra pts.

A DP army is more flexible especially if it is Undivided with more units and possibly no Large targets. There is less temptation to target a DP than GD.
I've seen a Keeper slain by a hail of Elven shooting in 1 turn!

If you prefer to use a DL army of a particular mark then GD is a very strong option but if you prefer to combine the strengths of the daemons of different marks then choose a DP.

shadowprince
07-08-2006, 03:31
Ahh go bloodthirster, It is just more fun. If it wasn't khorn I owuld say a demon prince, but the Khorn Demon princes are pretty weak.

Latro
07-08-2006, 07:08
Ahh go bloodthirster, It is just more fun. If it wasn't khorn I owuld say a demon prince, but the Khorn Demon princes are pretty weak.

... 6 strength 6 attacks with re-rolls to hit and no armour saves allowed is weak?

Damn, you set pretty high standards for your characters! :p But I do agree, a Bloodthirster is worth its points here simply because of the pure carnage it can deliver on it's own while the Daemon Prince has to be more careful about it's targets.

:cool:

Neknoh
07-08-2006, 08:08
And let us not forget, a frenzied Daemonprince is a LOT more subjecatble to being lured away than a Bloodthirster.

For every Greater Daemon except the keeper of seecrets, I see their Large Target rule as a bonus, they can charge and cast spells over intervening units, the Keeper cannot charge over, and all spells but one does not require line of sight, thus, only the Keeper really looses somethin on being a Large Target

UltimateNagash
07-08-2006, 19:41
Don't Daemon Princes last longer (can get a 4+ Ward save, and Dispel Scroll like abilities, and more)?
And isn't a Greater Daemon all you Dragon Eggs in one very large basket?
Just ignore me if I just confused you even more.

shadowprince
07-08-2006, 19:58
... 6 strength 6 attacks with re-rolls to hit and no armour saves allowed is weak?

Damn, you set pretty high standards for your characters! :p But I do agree, a Bloodthirster is worth its points here simply because of the pure carnage it can deliver on it's own while the Daemon Prince has to be more careful about it's targets.

:cool:

Weak in comparison to a bloodthirster. Also the daemon prince only has toughness 5 with a five ward save, big difference between five and 6. And no it isn;t all your eggs in 1 basket. Also a bloodthirster survives better against shooting and magic
They both are great, but when I go all daemons and no magic, I want the most scar thing out there. What descrbes fear better thana bloodthirster.
O ya and killing blow.