PDA

View Full Version : LatD rules any fluff representation?

xibo
06-08-2006, 11:55
Ok, the LatD are IMO supposed to represent the scum of the universe, hated by everyone and mostly ignored by the dark gods, because there is so much scum the single one doesn't care to them.
And that is why a traitor guardsmen, who is inferior to a normal one is more expensive pointwise than a loyal and better one...? 'obviously' because I can have more leman russ's if i have more traitors.
I hate russ's but its ok for me.

Next unit: Mutants. Scum. Cheap. Incapable. -> Fodder. OK imo.

... Chaos Cultists: No matter if I want to use the 'Chaos Cultists' from Chapters Approved or the Alpha Legion 'Cultists', they have both to be inserted as chaos allies, and I can therefore at most have 2 squads of them, restricting me to one of deamons :eyebrows:

Isn't it the cultist gangs who spread chaos? How many guard regiments deflect compared to the amount of chaoscults arise? IMO it's just so wrong that i get less demons because i have more people sacrifice and pray to the dark gods :(

However even with all the current faqs and erratas I can still get this imperial cavalry squad's vetsarge who has access to the guard's armoury and can take...
a honorifica imperalis o_O

IMO this is just so very wrong. Is GW wanting LatD to become the min standarts+oblit+2 russ's+defiler+2 guard scouts army, or how shall i interpret it *frustrated*

Simsandwich
06-08-2006, 11:56
No, they want you to be creative and mnake a fluffy force.
LaTD are a great army to play, and play against, now stop whining.

cerealkiller195
06-08-2006, 12:24
first post ever that is complaining about LATD. the versatility of the list makes it easyily the best "counts as" army so far. So many options are opened to the player.

Seleucus
06-08-2006, 13:25
Your forgetting that 'Traitor' does not just mean traitor IG, but any humans that have turned to Chaos - so they can be your cultists, hence the use of autoguns/pistols and heavy stubber.

Adding in one or two cultist units from C/A gives you the extra bits/fluff?

The extra cost for them, is for the frag grenades and 'infiltrate' rule.

Seleucus

ashc
06-08-2006, 14:45
LaTD are one of the fluffiest lists out there thanks to how open the list is; i cannot at all understand what you are moaning about; they aren't overpowering either.

Ash

xibo
06-08-2006, 15:23
I did not mean the army is over or underpowered. I was talking about the cultists to be some kind of conscripts counterpart as they are imo just civilians who grabbed weapons and rebel.
And that we should be able to field hordes of this kind of 'cultists', just like you can field tons of mutants.
Imo LatD forces should be able to have at least the same amount of minatures a guard has, but less 'elite' units like oblits, csm, heavy tanks, and so on.

I wrote that *frustrated* thing, because i and another latd were playing against each other ( tzeentch vs. khorne oriented ) when he told me my list is illegal because i may not field c.a. cultists ('any chaos army may field cultists as troops choice' - latd are not chaos??) as troops ( what means 200 cultists and 18 screemers less in 2000pts ), while himself he was fielding two roughrider squad whose one seargent had a honorifica and the other a macharian cross, which are imo only awarded to the most loyal and 'righteous' imperial guardsmen - who surely will not be found in latd ranks.

ashc
07-08-2006, 08:33
well it sounds more like you have beef with your opponent and not the list if you ask me; you may think him having roughriders with honorificas etc isnt on but if you play 'counts as' then those medals can represent 'blessings of the dark gods' or something, and of course remember just because they turned traitor it doesnt mean they go and forget all the skills they had before.

On the subject of your cultists, i wouldnt have a problem with it but it can come down to interpretation; it says if you take legion specific csm's then you may use their rules; i would allow for the use of cultists but your opponent may not; you have to decide.

Ash

AventineCrusader
07-08-2006, 08:46
Yes, you have to remember that C.A. cultists are opponent permission only, due to the fact that they are very outdated and are superceded by the Cultists in the newest C:CSM, so he has every right to disallow your use of them.

I personally like the option of giving a RR sarge an Honorifica, because this is the only way of getting a human HQ in the army. No matter how decorated an officer is, he is still susceptible to Chaos.

Also, how does fielding Cultists prevent you from taking more daemons?

Crusader

Colonial Rifle
07-08-2006, 09:07
I'd have problems with this too - the C.A. Cultists are no longer valid. It would be like someone trying to use the Codex: Armageddon Black Templar list!

'Traitors' represents a whole raft of generic scum; pirates, mercs, ex-PDF, etc. Sure their not much cop, but then do we expect cultists to be any better? I don't think we need a seperate entry. How would it be substantialy different?

xibo
07-08-2006, 10:28
Also, how does fielding Cultists prevent you from taking more daemons?
Crusader
The C.A. Cultists are CSM and not LatD troops, therefore they are allies, and become elite sections. like demons. If i take 2 cultist squads i remain with only one choice for the demons.

'Traitors' represents a whole raft of generic scum; pirates, mercs, ex-PDF, etc. Sure their not much cop, but then do we expect cultists to be any better? I don't think we need a seperate entry. How would it be substantialy different?
They are different by the number of bodies. There are only 15(+1 Aspiring Champion) Traitors in one troop choice while there may be up to 50 cultists.
It seems to be a rule that one may not field more than 6 troop choices at <2500pts, so using enough smaller squads is not an option either.

ashc
07-08-2006, 10:40
Im slightly confused at this really; Are you using Chapter Approved Cultists or Chaos Space Marine Codex Alpha Legion Rules Cultists?

Ash

xibo
07-08-2006, 10:52
Chapters Approved Cultists, but the Alpha Legion Cultists also are elite.

cerealkiller195
07-08-2006, 12:29
no they are not, ONLY if an ally is marked are they put into the elite section. Why else do you think you can take 2-3 Allied Troops. You can take aplha legion cultists (w.o MOCU) as troops. CSMs as troops

ashc
07-08-2006, 12:32
Cerealkiller195 is correct; and really i would be willing to say that you shouldnt be using the Chapter Approved Cultists as really they have been superceded by the LaTD list AND the alpha legion cultists.

Ash

muskrat
07-08-2006, 21:44
The whole reason alpha legion gets cultists is so people dont have 200 man cultist armies anymore for every chaos army.

CA cults are gone. and al cults can take an icon without a mark, i believe.

Psycho_Laughs
08-08-2006, 05:17
alpha legion cultist need to buy the mark of undivided to have icons.