PDA

View Full Version : A suitable leader for the guard

yohanes13
06-08-2006, 17:39
now although a lot of the gw models for hq choices are superb i and many others find one of the most exiting thing about an army is making an awesome leader, now when i collected marines and chaos it was easy you could add all kinds of spikes, feathers etc to thier armour anything you could imagine really, tau can do all kinds of things with battlesuit commanders and orks, well orks can have loads of fun, what i was wondering has anyone ever managed to create an immpressive imperial guard hero that stands out and you could imagine him charging into battle with his men following him roaring battlecries. anyone?

Adlan
06-08-2006, 17:54
I find a bright colour makes a good guardsman stand out, a red cloak amoungst the kahki troops. a flashing blue sword. Somthing eye catching works best.

Adept
06-08-2006, 17:56
has anyone ever managed to create an immpressive imperial guard hero that stands out and you could imagine him charging into battle with his men following him roaring battlecries. anyone?

I know I certainly haven't. As far as I'm concerned, the place for an Imperial Guard general is behind the lines poring over maps, charts, reports and so on. He shouldn't be anywhere near the front line, and if by some chance he was, under no circumstances should he go running at the enemy screaming like a loon. Thats what Sergeants and Whiteshields are for.

HobbitTank
06-08-2006, 18:39
I find that it's not so much the actual leader that stands out, but rather the entire HQ squad that he is a part of. Make each each member of the squad look like they know their stuff. Maybe an extra antenna on the vox-caster, or some added gear for the medic. For the commander himself, I find just giving them a sword and binoculars good enough. Maybe an officer cap in place of a helmet. May want to play around with the trademarked item concept as well. Not for that specific upgrade, but just to find ways to make the officer stand out.

Zink
07-08-2006, 04:43
What I did, aside from the slightly different equipment was gave my officers white uniforms where the ordinary guardsmen had grey on the trousers and sleeves. Bad idea in a real war but they look a little sharper and stand out against the green and grey hordes.

Maximus_Prime
07-08-2006, 05:24
well IMO maybe you could use a moridian guard sargeant, they look like commanders to me

cailus
07-08-2006, 05:25
I had an idea involving Caste Guard.

Basically the regiments come from a highly caste driven society. So lots of conscripts that represent the lower castes. However the officer class (and their retinues) would be extremely well equipped with carapace armour and power weapons. These guys would be adventurers who are seeking glory. Whereas the conscripts would have drab uniforms, the officers would have shiny ones with lots of gold! These officers would charge ahead in an attempt to outdo each other, to prove that they are the best.

However the cost of such an army is prohibitive so it's merely an idea.

MadJackMcJack
07-08-2006, 05:52
I know I certainly haven't. As far as I'm concerned, the place for an Imperial Guard general is behind the lines poring over maps, charts, reports and so on. He shouldn't be anywhere near the front line, and if by some chance he was, under no circumstances should he go running at the enemy screaming like a loon. Thats what Sergeants and Whiteshields are for.

Technically, the highest level of officer you'd see in 40K is a Colonel, and it's not so silly to think of them leading from the front (just see We Were Soldiers).

Speaking of which, I think this guy (http://uk.games-workshop.com/imperialguard/miniature-gallery/25/) makes a perfect front-line leader. He's got a cigar ffs! I'd follow him into hell just for that! Also, I think it should be compulsory that all Guard sergeants should be black and have a cigar firmly lodged in their teeth.

Barbarossa
07-08-2006, 06:57
I play Praetorians regularly, but I wanted a (better armoured) frontline leader too, so I did a small headswap on a stormtrooper sergeant, which left me with a pretty nifty commander. Unfortunately he isn't painted yet:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y68/StBarbarossa/Praetorians/PraetorianerOberstI.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y68/StBarbarossa/Praetorians/PraetorianerOberstII.jpg

Alco Engineer
07-08-2006, 07:19
Speaking of which, I think this guy (http://uk.games-workshop.com/imperialguard/miniature-gallery/25/) makes a perfect front-line leader. He's got a cigar ffs! I'd follow him into hell just for that! Also, I think it should be compulsory that all Guard sergeants should be black and have a cigar firmly lodged in their teeth.

MMMM. I use Col. Schaeffer in my guard army too. He's a great looking leader and you know that he's hard core. I usually feild the rest of the last chancers as a hardened Vet squad.

What about Lord Solar Macharius (spelling??) he's a bit flambouyant. Creed's also a bit of a cool looking leader.....

Adept
07-08-2006, 07:40
What about Lord Solar Macharius (spelling??) he's a bit flambouyant. Creed's also a bit of a cool looking leader.....

Creed is a very cool model. Another Cigar chomping officer. Macharius though...

Well, Macharius is certainly in the running for the ugliest model of all time. I mean, he's got some stiff competition with Captain Cortez and the new Posessed but he's in the top twenty, at least.

ArtificerArmour
07-08-2006, 09:45
I converted iron hand straken and gave him a powerfist and sotorm bolter. He looks grizzled. I'll try and get a photo.

Barbarossa
07-08-2006, 10:39
Creed is a very cool model. Another Cigar chomping officer. Macharius though...

Well, Macharius is certainly in the running for the ugliest model of all time. I mean, he's got some stiff competition with Captain Cortez and the new Posessed but he's in the top twenty, at least.

Hey don't badmouth the Lord Solar! I love that mini! (it's really one of my favourites.

infernus31
07-08-2006, 12:27
I use Schaffer looks the part well. I also love te Valhallan officers , so flamboyant I use them for Lieutenants .

Sleazy
07-08-2006, 12:39
I use the Creed mini.

Back in the day when I was a staffer it was always joked that Solar was i abit... erm y'know.

I think he at least played for Man City AND Man Utd.

Half rice half chips?

Jo Bennett
07-08-2006, 15:31
I have a converted HQ diorama, my officer has a trimmed down chaos marauder head, going for the ww1 german dress uniform.

lee
07-08-2006, 18:26
well when i started playing guard many moons ago. i used the lord solar with the head copped of and replaced by a steel legion officer head .he looked ok but he has been replaed by the new forgeworld cadin officer. who looks soooo good

Valo
07-08-2006, 18:43
Well for th eless creative of us,the new FW cadian command squad has some pretty awsome models,alsoteh cadian uprgrade packs are excellent.I use the officer head with the respirator as well as the torso thats drawing a laspistol out of a holster and stuck a sword at his belt.Trying to make a cloak outta Green stuff but its not woring out to well.

Getz
07-08-2006, 19:10
Swish Guard officers? I think perhaps you're missing the point with the Guard... ;)

Personally I use the Valhallan Officer model for my Captain and the Mordian officer for my Leuitenant in my Valhallan army. I have Creed but, he's being upgraded to lead my High command unit when I finally get round to building it....

On the other hand, my HQ section does have a flag, so it is still slightly flamboyant...

revford
07-08-2006, 20:01
Guard Officers should look like the men around them really, saves them being picked out and killed.

I've got two different Guard commanders I'll use depending on the size of the game and the weather, both are converted from the basic plastic cadians.

First we have Major Noscov, sporting this seasons favourite, the power fist with purity seal:
http://revford.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/guard-major-noscov.png

And second the infantry's favourite officer, Captain Gerstov, with oversized power sword and ego:
http://revford.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/guard-captain-gerstov.png

Bregalad
07-08-2006, 21:42
There are several options:
1.) There are some cool Commandermodels in the official range, like the FW officer (pic 1) or the Vostroyan HQ (pic 2).
2.) You can have Governors or Nobles of some sort as leaders, like Medusa Governor Soloman (see: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42270) .
3.) You can take an Inquisitor as leader, Ordo Hereticus (pic 3 or Inquisitor Karamasov) or Ordo Malleus (pic 5). Either rulewise as normal commander or using the Witchhunter or Daemonhunter rules.
4.) Give him a bike or put him into a tank. FW has some nice tank commanders, even characters.
5.) Search Necromunda, e.g. Delaque or Escher.
6.) Search non-GW-products. Possible are War Machine Khador for Vostroyan types, Starship trooper Roughnecks, Urban War (or VOID) Viridians (pic 4) or Alpha Forge Games Spacers.

Just some ideas.