PDA

View Full Version : Colors and fluff for my new SoB force

Mikko
07-08-2006, 08:17
I finally got my Adepta Sororitas army started (with a Canoness, two boxes of Sisters and two boxes of Seraphim, for now). Now I gotta figure out how to style them: paint scheme, names, theme, that sort of thing. I want to go for something a bit off the beaten path, so probably not the standard black/white/red. With that in mind, I've had some ideas.
- Order of the Brazen Rose, in brass/bronze armour and royal purple robes
- something somber, black robes on grey armour or vice versa, or perhaps black robes with dark metallic armour, with some select highlights in white
- The Little Sisters of Latveria, in grey metal armour and dark green robes, lead by Canoness Victoria von Doom

So far, I like that last one. :D

I'd love any ideas and comments you could throw at me. Ever wanted to see something unusual done with an army? Here's your chance to see it realized!

So... suggestions?

FearFrost
07-08-2006, 08:35
I'd like to see sisters in dark blue armor...never really see that.

Dark Apostle197
07-08-2006, 08:40
He might be able to do that with the second option, dark blue instead of the grey or black.

Mikko
07-08-2006, 23:04
Dark blue... it would certainly be uncommon for sisters. I think I could work something out with, say, Regal Blue. Maybe Regal Blue armour, Red Gore robes. That should look quite good, but I've no idea for the theme or symbolism... any suggestions?

Or how about gold armour and white robes? Order of the Radiant Star or something. Perhaps a space-born order, based on a space station on low orbit around a sun. Emphasize the angelic aspects of the Sisters, faith, valor, deadly beauty...

(Come to think of it, the Doom thing would probably be best left for an Inquisitor Lord in power armour and hooded green cloak, with a great big horde of faceless Stormtroopers...)

ThousandPlateaus
07-08-2006, 23:14
Hey Mikko.
Beware - this thread may get moved to MPT!

Anyway - I'm painting my SoB a combination of Purple, Gold/Bronze, and White. I've painted my Cannoness' armour in Gold and Bronze and I wouldn't recommmend it for all troops, it's too much. Her Celestians are in white armour with Purple robes and gold detail, whilst the rest of the troops will be in purple-black armour with gold detail and white robes. Kind of like tesselations of each other.

Dark blue is a good idea and quite rare for SoB, perhaps blue and a grey/creamy-white, like a night sky. Have them in orbit around a moon, make them shadowy and sober, melancholy, mourning - perhaps they keep vigil, almost convinced the Emperor is on the verge of death and they must keep immolating to keep him alive. Silver detailing would look excellent with this colour scheme.

Mikko
07-08-2006, 23:39
Hey Mikko.
Beware - this thread may get moved to MPT!
If it's at all acceptable, I'd like to have it stay here, since the paint scheme is really just one part of what I'm looking for. Or if it must be moved, then rather to the Background forum. Just a humble request, mods; it's your call, natch.

Anyway - I'm painting my SoB a combination of Purple, Gold/Bronze, and White. I've painted my Cannoness' armour in Gold and Bronze and I wouldn't recommmend it for all troops, it's too much. Her Celestians are in white armour with Purple robes and gold detail, whilst the rest of the troops will be in purple-black armour with gold detail and white robes. Kind of like tesselations of each other.
Yeah, I thought all gold might get a bit heavy, kind of oversaturating even to the point of becoming bland...

Dark blue is a good idea and quite rare for SoB, perhaps blue and a grey/creamy-white, like a night sky. Have them in orbit around a moon, make them shadowy and sober, melancholy, mourning - perhaps they keep vigil, almost convinced the Emperor is on the verge of death and they must keep immolating to keep him alive. Silver detailing would look excellent with this colour scheme.
Hey, not bad! Maybe blue armour, a very dark, inky cobalt blue - midnight blue, if you know what I mean - with white, silver or gold details, denoting rank, and creamy off-white robes. Order of the Blue Moon. Perhaps they are waiting and watching for something, a sign or a message, or the fulfilment of some prophecy... Maybe they're astrologers, looking for some answer in the stars or just waiting for the day when the "stars are right". PS: Naturally, blue crescent moon facial tattoos in place of the usual fleurs-des-lys, ][ etc.

Not bad. It's definitely worth considering.

ThousandPlateaus
07-08-2006, 23:52
Hey, not bad! Maybe blue armour, a very dark, inky cobalt blue - midnight blue, if you know what I mean - with white, silver or gold details, denoting rank, and creamy off-white robes. Order of the Blue Moon. Perhaps they are waiting and watching for something, a sign or a message, or the fulfilment of some prophecy... Maybe they're astrologers, looking for some answer in the stars or just waiting for the day when the "stars are right". PS: Naturally, blue crescent moon facial tattoos in place of the usual fleus-de-lys, ][ etc.

Not bad. It's definitely worth considering.

Yeah, that's a good idea ;)
A very dark blue, midnight blue on black gives a lovely hue - I use it for my Arbites clothing and it looks very good. That way, you could decorate with either gold or silver, too, according to rank as both metallics highlight such a dark blue well.
Perhaps the robes could only just be white, then; very pale grey with only white highlights - if you use Space Wolves Grey as your base colour, it'll 'echo' the blue of the armour and give the robes depth.
How about the Order of the Waning Moon? I like the idea that they're a slowly decimating Order with no replacements, so all Sisters are particularly precious...

Mikko
08-08-2006, 00:35
Yeah, that's a good idea ;)
A very dark blue, midnight blue on black gives a lovely hue - I use it for my Arbites clothing and it looks very good. That way, you could decorate with either gold or silver, too, according to rank as both metallics highlight such a dark blue well.
That's what I was thinking, yeah.

Perhaps the robes could only just be white, then; very pale grey with only white highlights - if you use Space Wolves Grey as your base colour, it'll 'echo' the blue of the armour and give the robes depth.
Or, if it turns out bad, it will look as if the color washed off their armour in laundry. :D

How about the Order of the Waning Moon? I like the idea that they're a slowly decimating Order with no replacements, so all Sisters are particularly precious...
Waning Moon would perhaps be a little blatant... I mean, implications are usually more effective in names than outright statements. It does have a ring to it, though. I just like "Blue Moon", not least because it echoes the detective agency Blue Moon, originally named City Angels, from the shamefully underrated '80s TV show Moonlighting (starring young Bruce Willis and smoking hawt Cybil Shepherd)... :)

Anyway, warrior astrologers. The dark side of a moon, the side where the sun never shines, would of course be an ideal place for their observatory fortress... probably a vaguely Death Star-like space station, built around a huge telescope rather than a giant laser. It would also be a really damn cool thing to model as a terrain piece - or as an entire themed board, more like.

And I do like the idea of a waning order. Brings a kind of melancholy to the whole thing, carrying on the blue theme...

ThousandPlateaus
08-08-2006, 00:39
I think you've got yourself a very nice army! :)

/although Blue Moon just reminds me of that song...go for the blatant, the SoB aren't exactly fans of subtlety.

Mikko
08-08-2006, 00:57
I think you've got yourself a very nice army! :)

/although Blue Moon just reminds me of that song...go for the blatant, the SoB aren't exactly fans of subtlety.
You have a point, there. :)

And what's wrong with Sinatra? :D

Although, I have this other idea, too... Order of the Wandering Star. Boltgun metal armour, brown robes. Little decoration, mostly very simple and practical. A free-roaming order with no permanent base of its own, with vows of poverty and charity, based on the mendicants (basically, travelling beggar monks) and knights errant of Medieval Europe.

ThousandPlateaus
08-08-2006, 10:00
That'd be o.k - it's nice fluff, but painting a colour scheme like that would be difficult to get right; it could very easily look half-ars*d, even when it's not.

Mikko
08-08-2006, 12:49
It would be a challenge to paint, sure. I like challenges. :)

Of course, to keep with the mendicant theme, they wouldn't have any vehicles or other fancy stuff, just their personal weapons and gear. Nothing they couldn't carry - and maintain! - on their own. That in itself would present some challenges...

ThousandPlateaus
08-08-2006, 22:49
In that case, why not get them one battered vehicle - either a Chimera with some IST proxies, or a Rhino and model a trailer on the back, the one at the bottom of this:
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/trailers.htm.

'Sister it up' quite a lot as if it contains all their worldly possessions or turn it into a mobile Shrine (that'd be cool)...

Mikko
08-08-2006, 23:20
Actually, come to think of it, one could make a mobile Shrine out of an Exorcist with a Holy Icon, and a mobile monastery/barracks out of a load of Rhinos... It would fit a travelling force, even if you'd have to flex the vow of poverty a bit. But then, you could argue it's all just equipment necessary in the service of their faith. :)

emperorpenguin
08-08-2006, 23:26
Blue would indeed look very good but just a word of warning...

be prepared to have them called "The Blue Nuns" after the cheap plonk! :D

ThousandPlateaus
08-08-2006, 23:52
I thought that but was hoping it wouldn't be available in Finland - surely only the English can buy cr*p like that :)

Mikko
08-08-2006, 23:55
Weeeeell... (http://www.thewinedoctor.com/germany/bluenun.shtml) :D