PDA

View Full Version : What do you enjoy most about wargaming?

Cap'n Umgrotz
07-08-2006, 17:29
What do you enjoy the most then?
For myself, it's the games themselves. I love the narrative being played back and forth, the way a unit builds a certain character over time, and the challenge of a good opponent. (It's why I dislike 40K these days, I don't like the rules much and feel the misrepresent the background)
A close second is the background material- when it's good, it's very good, but it can be dumb and ill thought out. I enjoy a mix of humour with seriousness in my bakground, so the current "All Gothic, All the Time" stuff for 40K leaves me cold, the Fantasy stuff is quite good though, especially the Orc and Goblin stuff. I love almost all the artwork for the games.
Painting and modeling are a tied third. I like having done it, hate actually doing it. I can do fairly well if I'm bothered, but most of my stuff is only okay, because I'm impatient.
Fourth is list selection. I don't mind it, but feel it is over emphasised sometimes. (Winning with your list rather than your play annoys me. Which is another reason why 40K annoys me)
Last comes collecting. Why? Because it's damn expensive, that's why!:)
So, what do you like and why?

cookiescrumble
07-08-2006, 17:34
Well, you've missed:

Making new friends

Meeting new people

Seeing other peoples work

Competing in Tournaments

Telling your mates they suck, when you beat them!

Cap'n Umgrotz
07-08-2006, 17:38
Hah!
That goes in under "playing games", as that's when I tend to do all of those social interactiony things.Y'know, with the talking and whatnot.
With people.Face to face.

Some guy (UK)
07-08-2006, 17:43
You should have made this poll multi choice, and/or put modelling and painting together. I voted painting, as out of the two, this is my better skill.

Later, Some Guy

Chaos and Evil
07-08-2006, 18:23
Well, you've missed:

Making new friends

Meeting new people

Seeing other peoples work

Competing in Tournaments

Telling your mates they suck, when you beat them!

Take tournaments out of that list and I'll agree with it. :rolleyes:

Cap'n Umgrotz
07-08-2006, 18:27
Ah, the tournament scene in Ireland is fairly relaxed, I've run a few non official ones...woah 6 now that I count them out!And I don't consider myself or anyone who played in any of these tournaments to be "Out to win at all costs".
In fact, me forcing the painted models only rule made most of the people paint all their armies.

Agamemnon2
07-08-2006, 20:07
oh darn, I was ready to answer: "The unique perspective it grants into the competitive and loathsome Weltanschauung of my fellow man."

Simsandwich
07-08-2006, 22:21
Singing Ere We Go with the Store Manager, Store Staffer, Random bloke, and other Ork Player after I won.
PROPPA!

Crazy Harborc
08-08-2006, 01:01
Playing the games. In my book that's because I've got several opponents I've known for over 30 years. They are friends as well as opponents. There are a few "newer" opponents that make the games fun too.

I almost said all aspects you listed.........my regular opponents make it #1.

tzeentchgiant
08-08-2006, 01:23
I say modelling, but I'd also like to have said painting.

Could a mod fix the poll please so that it's at least multi-choice?

TG

EvC
08-08-2006, 01:56
He also missed, "buying the models", which is a key aspect of The Hobby (TM), according to far too many people...

neXus6
08-08-2006, 02:15
It used to be purely playing the games, I've never really painted much in the last 12 years. :p
But seeing as I only get a chance to play in a GW store and they've now imposed rules that means the army must be all done to a playable standard I'm having to jump into the deep end and actually paint an army.

Anyway in the gap I've been mostly sticking to the background as I've not played a game in months.

The boyz
08-08-2006, 13:39
I enjoy all aspects of the the hobby really. I like pretty much everything from buying the miniatures to painting them to gaming with them and meeting new people. I must admit painting can be a real pain sometimes, but when you get that regiment/unit finished it is quite satisfying.

purplehoob
08-08-2006, 13:56
For me it has to be playing the game, I am an indifferent painter and rarely have the time to sit and paint.

It is a choice between painting or playing so i'd like to take a momement to thank all the little people at e-bay who made my gaming life possible.

The social aspect and the heavy drinking that comes with a game of 40k at my house comes a close second...

Dspankdo
08-08-2006, 14:07
for me its all about the painting (even though I'm not that great at it) although i do like th background and gaming

Bloody Gauntlet
08-08-2006, 21:11
I like all aspects, but according to what I do most (for lack of time for the other options :cries: ) it's "Reading the background/Admiring the artwork".

Forgotmytea
08-08-2006, 23:49
All of them :). I love games, the background and art is amazing (with a few exceptions *cough*stormofchaos*cough* :p), love buying old old models such as Citadel Daleks, and right now it's nearly midnight and I'm still modelling skaven and Eldar Pirates on my desk while listening to music and browsing Warseer :D

-Forgotmytea

Alabama-Shrimp
09-08-2006, 13:10
I chose modeling the army as i like to do small conversions and thigns like that.
I would like to chose playing the game but 40K is just too full of people that fell the need to have far too many giant guns or 5 attack every CC just spoils it all, If the real armies were like that then they would be over in a day as super choppy bloke with 5 power weapon attacks just wanders through evrything on the field.

f2k
09-08-2006, 14:48
Iím a converter first, reader of fluff second, painter of figures third, and gamer last.

I blame it on playing most of my early games in a club. The extremely competitive, WaaC atmosphere put me of gaming for quite a few years. Today Iíve found a couple of friends who likes to play for fun Ė not for winning. And so Iím slowly beginning to actually play games again. But I will probably always be a modeller first and foremostÖ

Insane Psychopath
09-08-2006, 16:46
I like all part of this hobby off hours truth be.

Modeling: Converting alway been my high point in this hobby. Any army I plan for a tournament will ALWAYS he high converted. It also thanks to my skills I am in a Model Making course in Scotland :D all free plasticard I want. Also it was said my IQ high on the building & change stuff.

Painting: I find this relaxing after a hard day of college or what ever. Also again that the Scottish Conflict I came 3rd in 40k for best painted army, won best painted in my local GW last year as well. Again tournament armies I will spend a lot more time. Bog standard armies I will paint to same but little more lazy as in longer time.

Gaming: Again it a great way to relaxe in my view. As after college I tend to head right to my GW for the Vet night. It great local GW ten min walks from college. I enjoy tournaments gaming as well, I enter as many tournament as I can, just face new armies & get new challegeies.

But again conversion alway been my strength & I alway got to convert my models.

IP

BlazeXI
15-08-2006, 21:12
Drinking while playing,
reading about it,
collecting minis,
playing,
painting,

Gen_eV
17-08-2006, 21:06
Modelling, certainly. It's the bit I do the most of - rarely get round to playing, don't find the background that amazing, and tend to find painting more of a chore to get my nicely-converted models to a usable state.

You missed out the real main one though, and that's the social aspect. Playing the game is less fun than chatting with people before/after/during the game. Plus, Warseer certainly falls into the more social bracket as well.

starlight
17-08-2006, 21:11
Social aspects - IE - none of the above.:p

lord_blackfang
17-08-2006, 21:19
Modelling/converting is my greatest joy. Gaming second, fluff third, painting last, with all the other stuff somewhere in between.

yerpo
17-08-2006, 21:59
For me, it's painting (as lord_blackfang will no doubt confirm ;) ), with modelling, gaming & fluff close behind.

Anvilbrow
18-08-2006, 04:13
Playing the Game. Followed closely by collecting the models/armies. I don't like to paint, but will not stoop to paying others to do it for me so I only have about 10% of my models painted (still a hefty 10-12000 points). I have no qualms about playing with unpainted minis and don't intend to ever paint the vast majority of my stuff.

Basically if I have three hours to kill, I play the game every time. I also enjoy collecting the models, I especially like getting hard to find stuff like Man O War, Quest, Talisman, Space Fleet etc. I also have managed to get my hands on about 30 of the limited figures for fantasy. Anyone have a spare mounted Chaos Sorcerer??? Bruagh the Slavelord?

3 0f 6
18-08-2006, 09:25
i d have to go with playing the games, i do tend to only use painted models, since most my 40k playing of late is at tournies, but then i play necromunda to and i have 2-3 gangs painted out of like 9 we use in a campaign...

When i m at the gt, i find the meeting new peeps aspect much more compelling than the winning games bit, though if you see my results last year you d understand why... haha

RevEv
19-08-2006, 19:59
Definately playing the game - at home vs the wife with easy access to some whisky.

I would then have to say being able to go anywhere in the UK and meet like minded people at GW stores.

And then - making the models.

anarchistica
21-08-2006, 03:17
Writing/adapting rules.

starlight
21-08-2006, 03:39
After some thought....

The social aspects are tops, but building/converting cool stuff is a close second.:D

strv
21-08-2006, 09:13
The smell of my army, wich reminds me of the time I put down painting, basing and putting it togheter.

Chuffy
21-08-2006, 10:46
To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and to hear the lamentation of their women!

VetSgtNamaan
21-08-2006, 19:18
Well though I am a fluff bunny first and foremost a close second would of course playing the game.

Getifa Ubazza
21-08-2006, 20:14
For me its wrighting a nice themed list and then building the army itself. I hate painting but love to see an army fully finished and on display.

Cpt. Drill
22-08-2006, 00:29
I enjoying the modelling and maybe the painting to a certain extent....

But I really enjoy playing interesting people whith fun and fluffy armies....
Also combined with alcohol....

No you are not interesting if you play SAD or RAF!

Crazy Harborc
22-08-2006, 01:33
I prefer to build my armies on the edge of the box, NOT in the middle of the box. It's a quirk of my nature, to not settle for a "typical army list". Usually I satisify my quirk(s) by my choice of minies to use in a unit. DoW heavy cav instead of knights is an Empire army "quirk" of mine.;)

A neutral shade of black.
23-08-2006, 19:16
I not fond of modelling, suck at painting, dislike gaming, hate spending money and basically am only interested in GW games for the rules mechanics (or how to make them functional) and the background. I needed an expensive hobby to kill time.

Splagbot
06-09-2006, 04:41
Playing the games, for me painting the models is just something I have to do to get there.

Zealot
06-09-2006, 05:18
While I find painting very meditative (maybe because I'm so slow that I almost lull myself to sleep), I must say that collecting armies is my favorite thing to do. I love thinking up an interesting army and then collecting all the models to make it... and then trading it away to get a different army that I just recently decided to build.

Rinse + Repeat = Fun!

Maybe that's why I don't have a singe assembled/completed army, yet have enough models to make 4 or 5 separate ones... There are just so many different aspects of army collecting to keep me interested.

Jedi152
06-09-2006, 09:05
To be honest, actually playing the game is below reading and enjoying the background on my list of enjoyments.

But the thing i like most is that i can walk into a GW anywhere in the world and meet anyone and instantly have a conversation about a common interest.

giner
10-09-2006, 17:05
I put down playing games but, its probably only becase of the friends I have made that I stick with the hobby.

Cap'n Umgrotz
10-09-2006, 17:33
Sorry about not specifically putting in a "meeting friends" option, but because playing the games is the social aspect I thought I had it covered.Forgot that folks on here like things to be clear.(Probably because of all the rules queries we have to deal with ;) )
So, if you want to say "Friends" vote playing the game.
Cool?