PDA

View Full Version : Is this Appropriate (proxy general question)

Exploited
07-08-2006, 17:29
now being the cheap person i am im a firm believer in proxying to assess whether sinking my hard come by cash into a new load of models.

just a question of aesthetics - would it be appropriate to proxy BLANK round bases as stealth suits in a tau army?

this isnt a rules Q - as our club allows sensible proxies (sensible added after one club member used a mug with "worlds greatest dad" as a daemon prince from hell)

its not asking fora matchbox to represent a landraider. but rather a few un-minied bases to be proxies for stealth suits (ill use my trap markers - actually based)

any opinions?

Ex

cookiescrumble
07-08-2006, 17:32
I would say No. Even if you use other models, thats better than bases.

Toppan
07-08-2006, 17:34
depends on the player youre fighting against. if it were me, i would let you use a shoe to depict one kroot model. i really dont give a damn...id probably proxy stuff myself.

jfrazell
07-08-2006, 17:38
How about little pieces of paper on same stating "stealthsuit." There have been many atime we have proxied EPIC or BFG in this manner. This way you can really experiment while you lock down the preferences in your list.

Hey when GK termies cost $15 a piece and landraiders $60, I become amazingly flexible.
http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=List_Models&code=302212&orignav=300866&ParentID=210758&GameNav=10

Damien 1427
07-08-2006, 17:45
Yes, on the condition you added a piece of tree, or sprue, about the height of the suits onto the bases. I'm of the frame of mind to make modelled bases with footprints for those kind of units, so I wouldn't have any trouble with you doing so.

BaronDG
07-08-2006, 18:50
I wouldn't like it since I would forget they were there until they bit me in the backside. If your opponent is used to proxies and doesn't mind, then go ahead...

A neutral shade of black.
07-08-2006, 18:52
I'd allow it provided they were the only miniless bases on the table. After all, stealthsuits are hard to see, so...

BrainFireBob
07-08-2006, 18:55
I'd allow it provided there was something Stealth-suit sized-ish to check LOS with. It'd be amusing. But you need to have something to cover the LOS issue!

Getz
07-08-2006, 19:06
I've got half a dozen objective markers based on 25mm bases. I've made them look like little grave markers (a rifle stuck in the ground with a helmet hung off it....). Although they're niminally loot/rescue counbters, I've used them for all sorts of things, including proxy squads tokens. Very handing things to have in your army box...

Exploited
07-08-2006, 19:50
I'd allow it provided there was something Stealth-suit sized-ish to check LOS with. It'd be amusing. But you need to have something to cover the LOS issue!

thats a poin which was adressed in the rulebook mate. los is determined base to base - with the amount of intervening terrain classing against it.

otherwise whats to stop a necron player having heads and guns on all his bases to claim 2+ coversaves from grass?

Inq. Veltane
07-08-2006, 20:06
Yeah, 'real' LoS isn't actually used any more. Draw a line base-to-base and if there is no size 2(+) terrain in the way you have LoS.

Locke
07-08-2006, 21:04
models should be used to represent models...

stealth suits = wraithguard, old termies, and other models of such size

40mm could be replaced for any other big creature and so on....

We had a guy use plastic red cups for drop pods, and it was fine to test them out, but it got frustrating seeing 6-8 cups on a table after a year, and we finally told the guy to stop. Even if he bought one or two forgeworld models (it wasnt as if he couldnt afford them...) than it would have helped, but he refused so we made him stop all together.

Most people dont care if you are testing a unit, to see if you want to buy them, or using a chaplain as a librarian as long as when the model is placed it stated what it is...

grg3d
07-08-2006, 21:13
If your game group is proxie's whats the problem....I rather you use the correct base size than a "shoe" or coffee mug :p

posted by Exploited Whats to stop a necron player having heads and guns on all his bases to claim 2+ coversaves from grass?

Well it didn't help with my Necrons Sprayed them clear coat and had them on the porch railling....windy picked up droped them in the grass in time to meet Mr lawn mower :eek: