PDA

View Full Version : Formulating a FAQ for 40K Background

Minister
07-08-2006, 20:42
It has come to my notice that certain topics return more often than a Necron with a resurection orb. Therefore, I intend to resurect the FAQ thread (and request that it be stuck). To this end, what questions are, in your opinions, asked with sufficient frequency?

Also, would anyone have handy a copy of the old Portent background FAQ?

Skrittiblak
07-08-2006, 20:47
If you were feeling particularly dedicated you could list all the most commonly asked background questions and as part of the answer section of the FAQ include:
1.) Most commonly espoused beliefs on the topic.
2.) Links to the best discussed threads on the topic.

My 2 cents.

Minister
07-08-2006, 21:10
This was the thought. In the most simple cases, it would take the format of:

Q) Is it possible for a Space Marine to be female?

A) No.

"They must be male because zygotes are keyed to male hormones and tissue types..."
Rites of Initiation, UK WD 247, also found Here. (http://uk.games-workshop.com/spacemarines/initiation/1/)

Whereas a more complex issue might take the form of:

Q) Are the Tau evil?

A) The Tau have been recorded as having taken actions which may be thought of as morally questionable for the good of their Empire, however the same may be said of any nation in the modern world at one point or another. Certainly, they undertake considerably fewer actions which would be considered reprehensible to modern society than any of the other major 40K races.

For more on this subject see Thread 1 and Thread 2.

The whole thing would, of course, have to have a disclaimer that this represents the mainstream background, as published by Games Workshop, combined with the general consensus of opinion found on Warseer, and that the individual is free to modify or ignore sections of the background as he or she sees fit.

Khaine's Messenger
07-08-2006, 21:15
Also, would anyone have handy a copy of the old Portent background FAQ?

Yes. :p link (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8688) There's one question stuck on the last page due to space restrictions, though. And it does need updating and the text could use some simplifying (my love for complex sentences knows no bounds).

Minister
07-08-2006, 21:28
I vaguely recalled the existance of a previous attempt to recreate the thing, but could not recall what happened to it. Anyways...

Would you care to continue the Great Work, or shall I raid yours and make attempts at expanding/updating?

Forces Unknown
07-08-2006, 23:12
I submit the following questions for inclusion in the FAQ as I think they come up often enough. That old Portent one is good stuff though and only needs a few additions.

Fluff Questions

Can Space Marines have sex? If not, how do they reproduce?

Who is Ollanius Pius? Why do people talk about him on Warseer?

Why do Dark Angels and Space Wolves hate each other?

Who is Inquisitor Czevak? What does he have to do with the Eldar?

The Meaning of Words Questions

What is 'fluff'?

What does 'canon' mean?

What is considered canon?

What is 'Rogue Trader'?

Phunting
07-08-2006, 23:40
Good. I had started re-wording a couple of the questions with some later bits, but as interest seemed gone in this idea I trailed off. I'll get back on it if we can actually get this thread stickied this time!

edit: I suggest when we're ready we start a new thread and the first person makes at least 5 posts, possibly more. We don't want to run out of space later on like last time.

I've always thought this is a damn good idea, let's see if we can get it a little further off the ground this time...

Khaine's Messenger
08-08-2006, 00:42
Well, the last one was just for discussion. When it came to anything concrete, it would have gotten more of a whizzbangery treatment. ;)

That said, I hold no exclusive claim over the FAQ. I'll compile and contribute if necessary, but since others are chomping at the bit, there's no reason to limit ourselves, in my opinion.

Chem-Dog
08-08-2006, 00:57
A a couple of suggestions for questions that should be in the FAQ:-
What happened to the Primarchs?
The Missing Legions?

And perhaps a glossary of terms that people can refer to, I saw somebody asking what "Canon" is, a glossary would help, also a complete list of abbreviations eg WE= World Eaters, also Wood Elves (boy was I surprised to see the guardians of Athel Loren had taken part in the assault on the Emperor's palace).

Minister
08-08-2006, 01:55
The glossary seems reasonable, but a full list of abreviations seems, to me, more suited to the 40K general boards.

I was also wonderign if anyone had a copy of the Portent one, which does have some items that Khaine's Messenger's one lacks? It would be handy.

It also occurs that we may need two sticky threads: the FAQ and the related discussion thread.

Khaine's Messenger
08-08-2006, 02:07
Hmmm. What does mine lack? I have a copy of Alekensis' original-original FAQ on hand (or at least the original copy I spruced up before he politely asked I remove his "bad jokes"), so I'm not quite sure what's missing in mine.

*EDIT: I should note that my old Portent handle at the time was "AncientAsirnoth"--the edition there is a sprucing up of the original from Portent.

Minister
08-08-2006, 02:10
I recall a bit by me on the Marine chapter layout which was added at some point (and which I can put back no bother), but the ommission of this one implies that there are probably others that I don't remember (with my sub-par memory and all).

It's not a haenous problem anyway, but it might be handy if someone has it sitting about.

Khaine's Messenger
08-08-2006, 02:22
Ah...I'd forgot about that one. That's the only reason the mention of shoulderpad colors are in there now, but I'll admit that's not as extensive as the original entry as written by you. No, I don't have a copy of that piece on hand. I think that was around the time I'd become a poor steward of the FAQ, and then Portent croaked, and I washed my hands of it for a bit. Spilled milk, I suppose.

Minister
08-08-2006, 02:46
Not a problem, I was just trying to think of what else might be missing.

Still, the nature of such things means that if it's not asked frequently when missing, it shouldn't really be there in the first place...

La'mour Le Breton
08-08-2006, 07:07
there sould be a whole section on pre imperium history

La'mour Le Breton
08-08-2006, 07:11
and pre pre imperium history