PDA

View Full Version : Colours of the Emperor

Tulkas
19-06-2005, 09:52
I seem to recall something about "the colours of the Emperor", by which I mean the colours Imperial officials (Preachers, Chaplains etc) use to show they serve the Emperor directly. One of them is the black that Chaplains use, but what colours are "mandatory" (taking mandatory very lightly) for preachers and missionaries.

The reason I'm asking this is because I'm going to re-paint my old Uriah Jacobus miniature and I want some "fitting" colours. If anyone has an answer, please post.

Thank you.

Grumnir
19-06-2005, 10:01
Liche Purple? as in the association between purple and royalty

bho
19-06-2005, 10:47
Yes, purple would make sense since the Emperors Children were the only legion permitted to use that colour, and his symbol.

TenTailedCat
19-06-2005, 11:26
Half right - the emperor's children were the only legion allowed to use the Imperial Eagle, the purle colour has no relation at all and no mention in their IA.

What we know for sure is that he wore golden armour, but that's it. No mention is ever made regarding his colours. But purple, deep reds and white are all traditionally associated with royalty.

TheSonOfAbbadon
19-06-2005, 11:55
What we know for sure is that he wore golden armour, but that's it.

Where does it actually say he wears golden armour?

Randallw
19-06-2005, 12:03
Well putting aside for the moment the dispute that the cards deviate from the established background I daresay the fact that the Emperor has golden armour in all the cards portraying him is pretty much the basis of this assumption.

TenTailedCat
19-06-2005, 12:05
Many places. The Space Wolves IA and the Night lords IA just off the top of my head.

In the space wolves one he wears a cloak at first but then throws it off to reveal "burnished golden armour swathed in light" if I remember rightly.

In the Night Lords IA it says again about his armour and the healing light reflecting from him and how anyone who looked at him had the image of is golden armour burned into their retinas forever.

EDIT: Exact quotes:

"Time seemed to stop as the Emperor of mankind threw away his cloak, the hood falling from his face, his true form revealed.
Standing far taller than any man present, swathed in light and clad in baroque golden armour.
The God-Emperor stepped onto the banqueting table."

"Those who dared to glance directly at the burnished gold of the Emperor's power armour found their delicate sight lost to them forever, the shining image of Mankinds saviour burned indelibly into their jet-black eyes."

Everybody happy?

Tulkas
19-06-2005, 19:51
Eh, anyone still up for discussing about the topic?

Cloudscape_online
19-06-2005, 21:15
:p pwned :cool:

TenTailedCat
19-06-2005, 23:23
Eh, anyone still up for discussing about the topic?
Not sure there is a topic, it's never been mentioned as far as i'm aware.
All I know is that he had golden armour and that his personal symbol was a thunderbolt before the Imperial Eagle. Aprt from that you're on your own i'm afraid. You can read up about his history and early life but that has no mention of any colours or heraldry. During the crusades and Horus Heresy he's always wearing armour.

If you want an opinion, i'd say go for regal colours - purple, reds, whites, golds.

EmperorsChamp01
19-06-2005, 23:32
I was reading in the old SM codex and it says that the chaplians must wear black armor it honor the fallen Emperor.

TenTailedCat
19-06-2005, 23:35
Black is a colour of mourning, it's also a traditional colour for priests in real life, so that's no big suprise.

Best bet is to look at real life equivilents , Roman Emperors for instance, see what they tended to use.

Tulkas
24-06-2005, 19:43
No what I really mean are the colours that the priests of the Emperor wear. Read something about that a long time ago and I was hoping one of 'ye olde fluffnuts' here could help me out. Well no matter, thanks anyway.

Inquisitor S.
24-06-2005, 21:22
Well I know that e.g. Astropaths have chosen the color "green" but there's nothing about the priesthood in the corresponding chart (Rogue Trader).

TenTailedCat
24-06-2005, 22:33
Priests of the Red Redemption wear deep red robes with white, gold or fire coloured trim. They're a cult however. The Ministorum wear a massive variety of colours, depending on rank. Just look at catholic monks and priests in the real world and you'll get the idea.

Inquisitor Samos
25-06-2005, 03:27
There really wasn't any such thing as the Adeptus Ministorum back in the Rogue Trader days....... at least, not that was mentioned as such. The idea of the Ecclesiarchy as a separate entity came along later.

I think TenTailedCat is on the right track: use the colors worn by real-world religious orders, for example such as the Catholic Church uses.

It's always seemed to me that GW based the Ministorum colors on the Middle Ages Catholic Church; I recall seeing miniatures of Ministorum characters painted with black, red, white, off-white/cream, and some purple for colors of their robes ands vestments, sometimes with gold and/or silver ornamentation, in the GW 'Eavy Metal and Studio collections.

If those don't suit you, just pick the colors used by another historical or current religious priesthood that you like better, and use those.

Inquisitor S.
25-06-2005, 10:13
There really wasn't any such thing as the Adeptus Ministorum back in the Rogue Trader days....... at least, not that was mentioned as such. The idea of the Ecclesiarchy as a separate entity came along later.

The Ministorum was there in RT.

Sojourner
25-06-2005, 10:32
I don't think there's any particular colour. Black is almost like a secular devotion to the Man and not the Message, which is why it's extensively revered by space marines. Purple seems popular with priests, as does red, but that's very generic.

Damage,Inc.
16-12-2005, 02:45
The Emperor's colors were white and gold. His symbol originally was a thunderbolt. This comes in part from WD 129 and in part from the Horus Heresy board game, circa 1990.

Commander Ozae
16-12-2005, 14:50
The Emperor now has the sign of the Double-Headed Eagle and lots of gold, also i've seen references to lions several times in art.

schoon
16-12-2005, 21:30
Well, one thing I seem to remember from Rogue Trader days was that there were assigned colors for the robes of the various Imperial organizations...

Anyone remember those - or have one of the old books handy to check my memory?

Inquisitor S.
16-12-2005, 21:35
Well I know that e.g. Astropaths have chosen the color "green" but there's nothing about the priesthood in the corresponding chart (Rogue Trader).

Nothing new there.

Griefbringer
16-12-2005, 21:59
Well, one thing I seem to remember from Rogue Trader days was that there were assigned colors for the robes of the various Imperial organizations...

Anyone remember those - or have one of the old books handy to check my memory?

From the hallowed pages of Rogue Trader:

-Adeptus Mechanicus, page 139: "Tech-priests wear a simple uniform that echoes their monastic life-style, comprising a habit (usually white and often double-breasted) and sandals. Their hair is tonsured as a symbol of their status."

-Adeptus Custodes, page 139: "Their uniforms are traditional but effective, leather breeches and and boots with a long black cloak over naked torso."

-Adeptus Arbites, page 139: "Their uniforms are basically black leather breeches and jackets, with extra padding at the elbows, knees and shoulders."

-Adeptus Astronomica, page 140: "Habits form the main item of clothing, usually blue and hooded. Fully trained members of the order have shaven heads."

-Administratum, page 140: "The basic colour for the lowliest scribe is black, whilst as an individual's standing increases so his clothing is lighter, various shades of grey and eventually pure white. Only the High Lords of Terra wear red robes, but they may wear pure white for informal occasions and daily use."

-Adeptus Astra Telepathica, page 148: "The colour adopted by Astropaths as a symbol of their status is green, although a robe will often incorporate several shades of the colour, ranging from pale near-grey to almost black."

Happy enough?

Inquisitor Maul
16-12-2005, 22:38
Gold is the highest "rank" when it comes to colors. Silver (or white) is number two.