PDA

View Full Version : Forcefields

Ikkaan
08-08-2006, 13:18
Hello warseers,

i have a question about the categories of forcefields. Some people may know the d20 Warhammer Roleplaying Rules made by Daniel Saier, at the moment we are discussing gaming values for forcefields (D20 rules, not TT).

Forcefields on our list: Projectile Deflector, Refractor Field, Rosarius Field, Displacer Field, Iron Halo, Powerfield (imp.), Holo-field (eldar), Void Field (eldar), Salamander Mantle (imp.), Dark Eldar Shadow Field, Kustom Forcefield (ork), Tau Shield Drone, Tau Shield Generator

I hope my question is not related to a rules question, i think its more background related...which of these fields make it harder to hit (by diverting an attack, shrouding the wielder) and which ones weaken an attack (by slowing a projectile or disspating energy) ? Looking at tabletop values won´t help me, i need background info on the mentioned fields. If someone knows a forcefield on the list, feel free to tell me. Also: Is the salamander mantle an armor item or a forcefield ?

Oberon
08-08-2006, 14:10
Harder to hit:
Displacer field(teleports you away)
Holofield
Shadow field

Weaken:
all kinds of force fields/-shields not mentioned above(rosarius, refractor, kustom, tau shields, halo) deflect or atleast slows the impact, Void fields absorb it.

IMO

Ikkaan
08-08-2006, 14:22
That helps a lot.

More questions:

Projectile Deflector, Refractor Field and Rosarius are small technical gadgets worn on the body.

Iron halo...where does this stem from...what form does it have ? Is it a sort of circlet ?

Salamander mantle...is this a cape or something ? Sorry for the stupid questions, i just don´t know what it is.

Displacer Field: Can you tell me how far away the displacer field teleports the user ?
Interestingly i was believing that only heavily shielded suits could withstand teleportation through the warp (e.g. terminators). That an unshielded user in underwear could be teleported by a displacer field leaves the impression of a design glitch.

Prodigalson
08-08-2006, 14:28
The rosarious is (or was) a conversion field. It worked by converting kenetic energy into light. In 2nd edition when it was struck and you saved a bright flash went off and anyone without auto senes could be blinded (which really just meant orks and some guardsmen).

A displacer field, which I am unsure made it to later editions of the game, worked by teleporting you a small amount of distance.

There has never been a decent definition of Tau shield technology, although they have something called Deflector fields on their BFG ships, and something akin to Void Shields on their Manta missile destroyers. All of the pictures of them normally show a bubble field that envelops them when a shot comes in.

Ikkaan
08-08-2006, 15:07
Thanks for the info about the rosarius, this will influence the rules for this item.

Leaves the Iron Halo, Salamander Mantle and the teleporter range of the displacer field.

Is the salamander mantle identical to the firedrake salamander mantle of the salamander space marines ? In this case it is some sort of cape, isn`t it ?

Sai-Lauren
08-08-2006, 15:10
Hello warseers,

i have a question about the categories of forcefields. Some people may know the d20 Warhammer Roleplaying Rules made by Daniel Saier, at the moment we are discussing gaming values for forcefields (D20 rules, not TT).

Forcefields on our list: Projectile Deflector, Refractor Field, Rosarius Field, Displacer Field, Iron Halo, Powerfield (imp.), Holo-field (eldar), Void Field (eldar), Salamander Mantle (imp.), Dark Eldar Shadow Field, Kustom Forcefield (ork), Tau Shield Drone, Tau Shield Generator

Void Fields/Shields are Imperium (titans and similar scale war machines, important structures and starship).
There were also the defensive screens on the Ordinatus, but they're unique constructs.

Power Fields are Ork. Work in a similar way to Imperial ones (take energy to a point, then fail), but Void Shields can vent excess energy and come back up again, whilst Power Field Generators are rendered useless once they've absorbed sufficient energy.

Eldar have Dathedi screens/holofields which break up the targets image, making targetting difficult (think the ultimate in dazzle camoflague schemes ;)) - I did propose a while back that this is related to the Eldar's war against the Necrons, where heavy armour and shields are all but pointless against their weapons, and not being hit in the first place is much more important - although the Wave Serpent has it's own type of field which has changed since it's original inception in 2nd edition epic (was impervious, but could also be used offensively to disrupt enemy formations - leaving the Serpent vulnerable until it recharged, but now more simply modifies weapon strengths).

I got the impression that the Tau Shield Drones don't so much project a field as interpose themselves between enemy fire and their controller (more Bodyguard Drones than Shield Drones).

I hope my question is not related to a rules question, i think its more background related...which of these fields make it harder to hit (by diverting an attack, shrouding the wielder) and which ones weaken an attack (by slowing a projectile or disspating energy) ? Looking at tabletop values won´t help me, i need background info on the mentioned fields. If someone knows a forcefield on the list, feel free to tell me. Also: Is the salamander mantle an armor item or a forcefield ?

Aside from the Eldar dathedi screens (as mentioned), I think the Dark Eldar shadow field shrouds the bearer. The rest of the shields interpose something between the bearer and the attacker.

Salamander mantle is a cloak that physically blocks attacks, so it's an item.
Rosarius is simply a religious icon device that also contains a Conversion Field generator IIRC, and the Iron Halo is of similar design.

As for fields missed out, there's the restraint fields Forge World produced for Imperial Armour 4, and there's also (going way back into the past) Stasis Fields - which effectively remove the bearer from space/time for a short while, meaning anything that happens to where they were (be it a bullet passing through to a direct meteor strike) doesn't happen to them.

Of course, they've still got to deal with what happened when the stasis bubble collapses and they come back.;)

There's also a few more unique fields out there (like Commissar Yarrick had in 2nd and 3rd edition).

Dspankdo
08-08-2006, 15:15
the iron halo is a deflector shield generally worn by marines above or behind their head

Eisen
08-08-2006, 15:16
The Iron Halo takes several forms. Normally it's a back-mounted unit that gives the user the appearance of having... well... an iron halo. However, there are simplified versions on a number of minis (and the way I prefer to mount mine) that do in fact work as a circlet or coronet.

salamandercaptain
08-08-2006, 16:15
From the RT rule book pages 114 onwards:

Conversion field: this is an energy field and except when taking effect is invisible. The field converts all incoming energy into light including combat and shooting damage. A successful save causes a flash that illuminates an area = to weapons strength in inches. Within this area troops will be blinded on a D6 4,5,6 unless wearing eye protection. A conversion field protects the wearer from being blinded and also acts as a photochromic visor to other blinding lights. Conversion fields give a save of 4,5 or 6.
blinded models remain blinded until the beginning of their next turn and while blind cannot shoot, take part in hand to hand combat and count their WS as 1 for purposes of defending theirselves.

Displacer field:
This is an all enclosing energy field that remains invisible until it takes effect. The field reacts to combat or shooting damage by activating a tiny warp drive mechanism located in a belt pouch. On a successful save the model is moved D6" in a random direction. A safety mechanism prevents the model transporting into a wall or other solid object. A displacer field offers a save of 4,5 or 6 and should be taken before armour saving throws.

Refractor Field
This is an all enclosing energy field powered by a small pack. When it is turned on the wearing is surrounded by a hazy band of light. This gives away hidden troops in the sameway as weapons fire. Weapon damage is partially refracted round the wearer it offers a save on 5 or 6.

Stasis field
This is an all enclosing energy field. It works on a similar principle to warp dirves as used on spacecraft. The field can be turned on at the beginning of a players turn and then remains active until the beginning of his next turn. The effect is to generate complete stasis round the wearer. The user becomes etheral and cannot be harmed in any way at all; he appears transparent and hazy. While the effect lasts the model can do absolutely nothing. As far as the wearer is concerned time does not exist. The armour cannot be used for 2 turns in a row- if a character attempts to do this he is instantly transported into interstellar space and destroyed.

salamandercaptain
08-08-2006, 16:33
There were also Orky Fields (from p96 of 'Ere we go)

DEFLEKTOR
The deflector provides an invisible barrier which deflects damage- incoming shots simply ricochet off of the field. The Deflecktor gives a save of 4,5 or 6 against all damge sustained from a single shot. Any shot successfully saved will ricochet 6" in a random direction hitting the first target in it's path if there is one.

REFRAKTOR
Any shots striking this field and caught by the energy barrier and forced into an encircling orbit round and round the Ork. Within a fraction of a second the shots energy is completely disapated; shells drop harmlessly to the floor and energy beams fade to nothing.
Sometimes the field will not be strong enough to absorb all of the shots energy and it will still reach the Ork. If the Ork is lucky enough energy will have been disapated to make the shot less destructive.
Roll a D6 and deduct that value from the strength of the attack. if the strength is reduced to 0 or less the shot has no effect. If the result is one or more then the shot has penetrated the field but it's energy has been disapated and it's strength is reduced to the amount indicated.
If a weapon has no strength value but works in some otherway then the refraktor cannot affect it.
(It's intersting to see how this would work with 4th ed rules)

KUSTOM FORCE FIELDS
Meks tinkering unreliable etc. Roll a D6

1: None- the shot penetrates the field and strikes the Ork. work out the effect as normal.
2: Overload- The shot is absorbed by the field but this overloads the mechanism causing it to explode. The Ork suffers a D6 strength hit and 1 wound if damaged. Should the Ork survive he is covered head to toe in black soot and left without the benefit of a force field.
3: Rebound- the Shot rebounds 4D6" directly back towards the firer and has no effect on the Ork. If the firer is within this distance he is automatically hit and the shot worked out as if shot with his own weapon.
4: Freeze- The energy of the shot cause the force fiedl to become solid. The shot is nullifed but the Ork is trapped inside and cannot move or shoot until he rolls 4,5 or 6 at the start of any subsquent turns. While any attacks are automatically saved as if rolled 5 or 6
5 or 6: Save- the shot is saved and has no further effect

Ikkaan
08-08-2006, 16:41
This answers all my questions. Thank you very much.

Skrittiblak
08-08-2006, 19:23
Hey Ikkaan - nice to see you've been checking Warseer for info.

Good forcefield stuff all around. Thanks guys.