PDA

View Full Version : anybody actually met a geniunely fun staff member

TCUTTER
08-08-2006, 14:45
just wondering, i personal havent, ive met a couple who were so synical about the company they were funny but theres never been on thats really captured the fun of the game

gjnoronh
08-08-2006, 16:03
I've absolutely met some funny GW guys. Some more so than others of course and some who are funny without trying to be so :)

Jedi152
08-08-2006, 16:04
Loads - Almost all the guys at WW are a real laugh, and the Derby guys are pretty cool.

The Winslow
08-08-2006, 16:05
Lots of them.

Bombot
08-08-2006, 16:08
just wondering, i personal havent, ive met a couple who were so synical about the company they were funny but theres never been on thats really captured the fun of the game

Hold on, is your definition of fun ‘capturing the fun of the game’?

Maybe why you’ve not me that many perhaps…

Dr.Chud
08-08-2006, 16:34
ive known a couple that were a lot of fun. one guy in particular was just amazing and it made the day go by so much faster when you knew you were gonna be working with him. the problem is this type tends to dislike the whole rules thing and runs afoul of the humorless corporate shills who tend to get the management positions. So they typically dont last long.

Archaon
08-08-2006, 17:48
One of my opponents at a recent GT tournament was the boss of one of GWs stores in Germany.

He played a Goblin Mage horde which was an awful game for me but personally he seemed like a nice guy.

Festus
08-08-2006, 17:54
Hi

Quite a few of my friends and fellow club members are GW employees. From key timer through red and blackshirt and on...

Festus

Lostanddamned
08-08-2006, 19:50
Simon, formerly of GW Eastbourne, Last heard of at WW...

There was a great guy, I belive that Jedi has met him before and was treated to a dwarf impression/explanation of the oathstone.

Charax
08-08-2006, 20:08
Hey, I *was* a genuinely fun staff member.

...for given values of "Fun"

Bloody Gauntlet
08-08-2006, 20:33
The web master of GW Germany is a really cool guy. You can discuss funny and serious matters (GW and non-GW) equally well with him. And if he wants to, he's really funny - especially if roleplaying!.
Look out for his pictures on the GW Germany web site (for example the live event for the Medusa Campaing http://www.games-workshop.de/home/veranstaltungen/gaming-events/2006/M5-01/livebericht/live.shtm).
It's for show, but in character!

Lardidar
08-08-2006, 20:45
My group of pretty close friends (11 of us) are or have been GW staff and I think we are all pretty fun.

Loads of the guys/ gals on this site are or have been staffers and the ones I have met in the fleash (so to speak!) have been cool.

Other than that, I met a few guys at the full timers meeting a while ago now (4 years I think) and the staff tournament (I came 10th in fantasy :)) and all were pretty fun guys to be around.

Don't think that just because someone is 'not fun' at work that the aint pretty cool out of work. eg. At work I sometimes have to order staff to do things they don't want to do and bollock those that do not do as I say, it is not fun and I know the member of staff thinks I'm an **** afterwards but it has to be done, once outside work I would never tell anyone what to do.

Simsandwich
08-08-2006, 20:56
The guys at GW Glasgow are great guys, all of the staffers I have met have been fun to talk to.

UltimateNagash
08-08-2006, 20:56
One I met was making Chuck Norris out of a Catachan character (the one with the power fist I believe). That was funny.

ThousandPlateaus
08-08-2006, 23:40
I always end up with the ones with some kind of *issues* talking to me... Like I said, some staff members have confided some really weird stuff in me before... *shrug*, God knows what that's all about...

The GW stores in London can be a bit unfriendly sometimes (I'm not going to say which ones in particular), especially compared to provincial stores, GW Brighton and Liverpool are particularly friendly, I remember.

RampagingRavener
09-08-2006, 00:42
Personally, I've found the staff at GW Edinburgh fairly pleasent to chat with about the hobby while I'm making my purchases. I remember having a conversation about a CoD table they were making, and one of them pulling out a copy of the codex (before it was released) and giving me a look.

I know its fairly common, but it made me feel special. :D

Oh, and I've never had one of them try and pull a "hard sell" on me before.

EDIT: Oh, yea, I've also visited the GW's in Dundee and London Oxford street while on holiday, again all rather pleasent chaps and not had them force stuff on me I don't want.

Jedi152
09-08-2006, 08:14
Simon, formerly of GW Eastbourne, Last heard of at WW...

There was a great guy, I belive that Jedi has met him before and was treated to a dwarf impression/explanation of the oathstone.
Yeah! Simon is the best staffer ever! We get impromptu impressions all the time, but i do love his dwarf.

Haven't seen him there for a while though, i do hope he hasn't been moved on.

Sleazy
09-08-2006, 13:19
ive known a couple that were a lot of fun. one guy in particular was just amazing and it made the day go by so much faster when you knew you were gonna be working with him. the problem is this type tends to dislike the whole rules thing and runs afoul of the humorless corporate shills who tend to get the management positions. So they typically dont last long.

I know that firsthand:skull:

Dspankdo
09-08-2006, 13:37
the staffers are all pretty cool over here in nz though i think thats a national trait:p

Aaron if your reading this then i do not mean you:)

75hastings69
09-08-2006, 13:41
I have to say that the manager of GW Norwich is pretty funny, I think he is called Rob?

cookiescrumble
09-08-2006, 14:09
The only cool staff member that has been at Portsmouth (as far as i know) is the great Peter Jarmen. I've also met Christian Bryne, he's a great guy to play and kept his cool when i knocked his models over. ;)

asmodai_dark86
10-08-2006, 00:04
Whilst all of the manchester staff (might have changed I've not been there in a year sadly - stuck with the hell hole that is Preston GW *shudders*) are absolutely fantastic and completely love the hobby (remember the big skaven cannon that was about 6 foot long, or the titan battle - that was manchester), the guy with the black pony tale and the tash was ace.

Plus we used to see em all down jillys rock world all the time so they were normal people.

*Shudders again as he remembers that he is stuck with preston GW*

ThousandPlateaus
10-08-2006, 00:37
the guy with the black pony tale and the tash was ace.

David Seaman moonlighted at GW Manchester?!

DeathMasterSnikch
10-08-2006, 00:45
There were funny staff at the GW in middlesbrough...Most of them don't work there anymore :(

Have seen one of the newer members fall over...that was funny but he wasn't fun just kept trying to help me pick skaven out before he fell over, even though I made it clear I knew what I was doing.

Me: *Picks out a unit of plague monks and a new skaven warlord*
GW guy: HEY! Theres a new lustria plague lord model out to go with that!
Me: No thanks, never liked clan pestilence much and the new plague lords don't look that great.
GW guy: How can you say that?

After that continued for a while I decided to just claim I had no money spare. I know he was just trying to sell stuff but he was too persistant for my liking. The old staff were realy nice though *sob*

whiteshields1830
10-08-2006, 00:52
Loads id say.

For those who go to the sydney battle bunker, these blokes called Tim and Mitch are great GW staff, what more to enjoy the hobby than to make fun of the fluff that GW makes...

Warden
10-08-2006, 12:58
All of the staff at GW dundee are nice guys, except forone who worked there eyars ago, he was an **** and seemed to go out of his way to make Small Children cry!

Most of the ones there now i remember when they didnt work there just played games there.

Shadowseer Crofty
10-08-2006, 19:09
the guys from the old sheffield gaming centre were great guys, especially rob. Shame the place closed, rob went to wakefield, chris went back to sheffield city centre (i think) and dave got made redundant. last time i was at the place i'm stuck with now, the staff weren't that nice. I asked two of them a question about kill team and they pointed at a random customer and said 'ask him'. and i asked to register a medusa V battle and they just sat playing top trumps and ignored me.
and the staff at warhammer world are good guys, though ive not been there often and havent seen this dwarf impression yet.