PDA

View Full Version : Battle report: Sylvania v. Lizardmen

Latro
08-08-2006, 20:09
Once again it was time for me to prove the claim that my allround Army of Sylvania tournament list is still undefeated in combat (6 wins, 4 draws ... two of which were time-outs in a favourable position). I'm not too shy to boast a bit every now and then, especially when it leads to challenging battles!

Anyway, behold the power of Sylvania:

Vampire Count (2nd lvl mage)
- Great weapon
- Summon Bats, Eartbind
- Book of Arkhan

2 Vampire Thralls (they’re twins!)
- Great weapon, heavy armour, shield
- Summon Wolves, Wolf form

Wraith, mounted
- The Cursed Book

19 Sylvanian Militia
- Full command

2x 19 Sylvanian Levy
- Full command

3x 5 Dire Wolves
- One unit scouting

2x 5 Fell Bats

10 Drakenhof Templars
- Full command
- The Drakenhof Banner

We both agreed on trying our regular tournament lists against eachother, but I had never actually seen that list in action and only a vague idea of what I was going to face … a 2nd generation Slann mage-priest. I knew he liked Skinks as well. As it turned out I didn’t have to face the 40K Skinks nightmare, but a well-balanced (and deadly hard) list with a lot of variety:

(... from memory, but I think I'm pretty close)

Slann Mage Priest (2nd generation), Battle Standard Bearer
- Plaque of Tepok (+1 spell)
- Diadem of Power (store up to 2 dice)

Saurus Scar-Veteran, Mark of Tepok
- Great weapon
- Gleaming Pendant of Chotec

19 Saurus Warriors, Mark of Tepok
- Full command

16 Temple Guards
- Full command

3x 10 Skinks
- Blow pipes
- One unit scouting

5 Saurus Cavalry
- Full command

3 Kroxigors

3 Terradons

2 Salamanders

... and yes, that magical powerhouse of a frog did make me a bit nervous with just 3 dispel dice and no scrolls :eek:

The battlefield was a large 4 by 6 feet table with several terrain features. My deployment zone had some ruins and some difficult terrain, his deployment zone and both flanks had several small forests … the centre was open terrain though. I decided to place my grave markers in the centre, one scattered into a forest near the Lizardmen lines.

Deployment didn’t show any daring or radical tactics. My opponent used a strong central line of infantry with the Saurus Cavalry and Kroxigors guarding both left and right flanks of the line. The Salamanders guarded the right-rear area and the Terradons the left-rear area. The scouting Skinks hid in a forest on the left flank and the remaining Skinks deployed close to the centre as well.

I deployed in my usual formation of a strong centre. The infantry formed a solid centre battle-line, the Cavalry behind them … ready push through an opening in the line or swing around the flank, depending on how the central battle developed. The Bats and Wolves were divided between both flanks to disrupt any plans of my opponent. The scouting wolves deployed deep on the right flank.

My Count had the Invocation and VanHels as his spells, the Slann used his mix-and-match ability to browse through several lores and ended up with The 2nd Sign, 3 damage spells and the one that destroys weapons from the Lore of Metal.

… so let the battle begin!

Latro
08-08-2006, 20:11
Turn 1:

The Lizardmen made the first move as his troops started to march forward towards the open terrain in the centre. My opponent kept most of his battle-line close together, but the Kroxigors had to move around a small forest and were isolated from the rest of his battle-line for the moment. The Salamanders moved into position and destroyed all my scouting Wolves with a well-aimed squirt of fire. On the opposite flank his scouting Skinks emerged from their cover between the trees and fired a salvo into a Dire Wolf unit … quickly followed by a magical barrage coming from the Slann. Both the Fell Bats and Dire Wolves on my left flank were still standing though … a bit scorched and full of needles, but still standing.

… and with a mighty moan, the undead started to march forward as well!

Already losing the fight for control on both flanks, I decided to use the bloodpower summoning to reinforce both my flanking forces instead of threatening the rear of his infantry line. With these fresh units on the right flank the Salamanders were now surrounded by several Dire Wolf units and Fell bats, while on the left flank some Bat Swarms and more Dire Wolves started searching for prey.

… things were looked better already.

Taking advantage of the opportunity, a Dire Wolf unit moved towards the Kroxigors to lure them away from the main action in the centre. The Bulk of the undead forces marched forward in close formation: both Levy units towards the enemy lines, the militia taking position between the terrain to guard the right flank and the Templars following behind, still in reserve for the moment … and both the Thralls sneaked out of their units and lurked around keeping a hungry eye on the Saurus Cavalry.

The surviving Bats and Wolves on the left flank had charged the Skinks … but after a stand-and-shoot volley and a disastrous combat round, only one Wolf and a wounded Bat remained … damned Skinks.

Fresh (okay, a bit smelly) troops wanted to claw their way from their graves to the battle-field, but the magical prowess of the Slann kept them all locked beneath the ground for the moment.

:skull:

Latro
08-08-2006, 20:14
Turn 2:

A bit more careful now that the enemy was in sight, once more the Lustrian line of battle advanced forward. Their Saurus Cavalry (wary of the fast Thralls and the flanking Wolves) decided to hang back a bit to cover the flanks better. On both flanks the action had already started on several combats raged on. The mighty Kroxigors crushed a small unit of Dire Wolves, but were drawn out of position because of that … the Salamanders managed to torch another unit of Dire Wolves to ashes while evading all their attackers at the same time … his Skinks on the left flank failed to defeat the final Bat and Wolf though … the Terradons however were way too scared to charged the Bat Swarms and just circled around a bit, doing nothing.

More poisoned needles and another magical barrage came down on my lines and several Militia Skeletons scattered to pieces … so far I don’t think my 3 dispel-dice are quite enough to stop his 10+ power-dice.

At this point I made my first attempt to grab control of the battle:

- On the right flank I had delayed the Kroxigors for at least two more turns before they could help in the centre. The Salamanders were doing a damn good job of killing my fast support units though … so I planned to retreat the surviving Dire Wolves and Fell Bats back in to reserve, ready for any opportunity or else grab a table quarter later in the game.

- In the centre I had two solid Levy units against two enemy infantry units, who were now without flank support while I still had my Militia and Templars nearby … time to block and lock them down in combat, maybe then the Slann would stop blasting my poor Militia with magic ( oops, slight mistake there … )

(mental note: a Slann mage-priest can cast from combat)

- On the right flank his Skinks were still in combat and my Bat Swarms were about to chase the Terradons off the table. Summoned Dire Wolves and two fast Thralls were in range of his Saurus Cavalry … with both the Terradons and the Saurus Cavalry gone there would be nothing left to really threaten the flank of my battle-line … mission accomplished!

- With magic I would keep trying to reinforce my units and with a bit of luck raise new units behind enemy lines … now if only that damn frog would stop dispelling everything!

… and did it all work?

Well, sort off. The plans for my flanking operations went all as planned. The right flank was evacuated and my units were standing by for counter-attacks should the Salamanders or Kroxigors get too close. Deep behind enemy lines on the left flank, the Terradons suddenly found themselves surrounded by swarms of tiny (cold)bloodthirsty bats. One Terradon crashed into the ground and the other two decided that surviving was much more important than a glorious last stand … they fled with the bats flapping in close pursuit behind them. :evilgrin:

The Skink-Scouts killed the final Bat and Wolf though … but there wasn’t anything important for them left to shoot so that was fine by me. Suspecting a flee-reaction that would leave them stranded in front of the Saurus Warriors, I chose not to charge with the Thralls. The Dire Wolves however, did charge the Saurus Cavalry hard in the flank, dragged one Saurus from the saddle and won the combat! The Cavalry ran for it, but not fast enough and the victorious Wolves caught them all before slamming into the flank of the Saurus Warriors … uh oh …

In the centre one Levy unit charged into the Temple Guards while the other one blocked the Saurus Warriors. As it turned out, Temple Guards are quite capable fighters and Levy are definitely not (also no surprise) … and due to the high strength of the attacks, their armour was much help either. I lost more than half the unit in that assault! :cries:

Behind enemy lines a fresh unit clawed their way from the grave. The Slann made sure that no reinforcements arrived for my damaged units though.

Latro
08-08-2006, 20:17
Turn 3:

Both Lizardmen infantry units finished the fights they were in: the Temple Guards killed the last few zombies in my once proud Levy unit … *sigh* … and the Saurus Warriors killed the Dire Wolves that had overrun into their flank. The Kroxigor were also on their way back to the action … great, more enemies.

The Slann wiggled his little frogfinger in a magical and mysterious manner and soon after a new barrage of magical death and destruction slammed into the Count and his Militia bodyguards … the Vampire was running out of skeletons to hide behind. The Salamanders looked around and noticed a new unit of Levy behind the Temple Guards … a few squirts of flaming fluids later and just three remained.

… my troops were dropping a lot faster than I could raise them so far.

One Levy unit destroyed, the Militia at half-strength due to magic and shooting and now his Kroxigors are coming back … I needed to do something fast to regain control in the centre. Time for another attack!

The Drakenhof Templars charged into the Skink screen in front of the Temple Guard, whiped them away with ease and overran into the Temple Guard. Meanwhile on of the Thralls had used his wolf form to launch a charge on the Temple Guards as well, counting on the overrun of the Templars to assist him. While the brave Thrall was hacking two Temple Guards to shreds the poor thing suddenly noticed that the Templars still hadn’t arrived yet … and he crumbled from the shock. :(

(mental note: don't try to use 7th edition tactics under 6th edition rules, it doesn't work and makes you look stupid)

The magic-phase turned out to be a bit more effective than before. Both the newly raised unit and my remaining Levy unit got reinforcements, but all attempts to help my Militia or use magic to move the Levy units were dispelled … the Book of Arkhan ran out of pages too.

Latro
08-08-2006, 20:20
Turn 4:

Yet another volley of poisoned needles and devastating magic slammed into my Count and his bodyguard, leaving just the standard bearer and the Count with two wounds … :eek:

The Lizardmen army was doing a good job so far of grinding my main battle-line to dust in one-on-one combats. The Saurus Warriors charged the large Levy unit blocking them. The nearby Wraith with his Cursed Book prevented them from scoring a lot of kills though … only a few zombies crumbled and there was still a very large unit of them left. The previous charge of the Drakenhof Templars proved to be unable to defeat and break the Slann leading his Temple Guard … a draw was all they could manage.

By that time my army (or what was left of it anyway) was fighting a losing battle, but not yet hopeless:

- The Kroxigors were now in range to assist their own battle-line, but also in range of a counter-attack by my Fell Bats and the Vampire Count (who just realized that being in combat with Kroxigors was probably safer than hiding behind his single skeleton bodyguard)

- The Levy and Templars were holding on for the moment, if I could get more support into those combats I should be able to win.

... Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarge! *moan*

The Fell Bats charged into the flank of the Kroxigors and the Count assisted with a surprise-charge from his … uhm … unit of one skeleton. They only managed two wounds however and though the Kroxigors didn’t kill anything back, they also refused to break. Meanwhile the combats in the centre raged on with neither side having a real advantage. The lonesome Thrall charged and took care of the Skink scouts on the left flank.

Magic however, finally came through this turn! With the Slann distracted by all that noise around him, he failed all his dispels and soon after two large Levy units were behind enemy lines, ready to charge next turn. The Count also used a quick dose of Necromancy to heal all his wounds. :D

Latro
08-08-2006, 20:25
Turn 5:

My opponent tried to take care of the threatening rear-charges, but both the Slann’s magic and the flames coming from the Salamanders were unable to kill enough of the zombies! :evilgrin:

The Fell Bats and the Count killed two Kroxigors during a very successful combatround, the Bats caught the last Kroxigor during pursuit while the Count restrained himself … he had other plans!

Still stuck in combat, both the Saurus Warriors and the Temple Guard were now rear-charged by ranked Levy units and the Count charged into the flank of the Temple Guards to add a few kills of his own. The Saurus Warriors managed to survive the combat without breaking, but the Temple Guard were not so lucky and decided to leg it from their fear-causing opponents … not far enough though.

At that point my opponent conceded ... losing a 1000+ pts unit and having his last combat unit caught in a Levy-vise sealed his fate!

... but what a battle. Up until the final few combat rounds I was sure I was fighting a losing battle. In the end my trusted Sylvanians proved themselves to be very reliable and able to keep on going to the bitter end!

:cool:

Ivan the Terrible
09-08-2006, 23:30
Thanks for the report! Nice job hanging in there! I'm surprised you don't use more magic in your army.

Latro
10-08-2006, 07:50
Thanks for the report! Nice job hanging in there! I'm surprised you don't use more magic in your army.

Well, it is the Army of Sylvania so I'm limited to just my Grave Markers with their bound spells and one Vampire that can cast. I could beef-up my magic defence a bit by using a Lord and taking the Black Periapt and/or a few scrolls ... but even then it will be no match for a strong magical attack.

Instead of that I use my strong points to more or less negate and deal with magic. I have a lot of troops that can and will put pressure on the enemy very early in the battle:

- 3 Dire Wolf units, 2 Fell Bat units
- 2 summoned Dire Wolf units from the rear/flanks (turn 1)
- 2 summoned Bat Swarms from the rear/flanks (turn 1)

... all of that can attack on turn 2, which makes most magic users really nervous. In this case all the magic came from one big tough frog ... but most of the time the tactic works. :)

And the Templars and the Militia have Magic Resistance, which helps a bit ... too bad I forgot to use it in all 11 battles so far. :eyebrows:

Str10_hurts
10-08-2006, 14:21
I loved that battle report!
Nice that you managed to get a victory in a late (losing) battle.

you wil add pictures next time.

DeathlessDraich
10-08-2006, 16:43
Another enjoyable battle report Latro!
A crucial Turn5 it seems.

I use a 2nd gen Slann when I occasionally play LM but with 18 TG and 4X3 Kroxigors.

EvC
10-08-2006, 17:48
Reading that fifth turn, I was going to say, "Hang on, don't Slann cause fear, so they shouldn't have broken..?"... but then I read rhe relevant part of the army book, realsied that Slann actually don't, and thus the Lizardman player I fought on Saturday was actually a complete lying git when he said that Slann cause fear, and so I should have broken his Temple Guard with Slann on a similar charge! ARGH!!!!

Good report though, nice win, didn't see it coming.

Ivan the Terrible
11-08-2006, 03:25
He could have had a banner that caused fear.

Latro
11-08-2006, 07:02

Yes, Totem of Prophecy I believe. If the Slann has a BSB upgrade he can carry it and make the unit he is in cause fear. Lucky for me we agreed to try our regular tournament list and he didn't tool-up against undead ... in that case I would have had a much smaller victory in the end.

ardude
13-08-2006, 17:17
hi, I'm the guy who managed to lose at the last moment.
just new to this forum, heard about it from Latro.

anyway, was a nice battle. shame about the ending but it was fun.
as Latro already sayd who agreed using our normal tournemant army, if I would've made a special army against undead then I would atleast made my Slann cous fear.

@ DeathlessDraich
I never like to make armys of that kind, 4x3 kroxigors is a litle mutch and the more allround I play the more fun battles i usually have.

EvC
13-08-2006, 17:29

The way he said it indicated otherwise: he specifically said that the Slann caused fear, whereas the banner makes the entire unit cause fear, not just the Slann. Also we went through what our characters were at the start of the game and he made no mention of a battle standard... so I'll put this down to a flub on his part, either he forgot to mention it or mis-remembered. Never mind, just gets put down to experience.

It really is a good battle report though, next time I'm sure I'm gonna lose I shall remember this report!

MalcolmRodgers
15-07-2013, 17:22
Once again it was time for me to prove the claim that my allround Army of Sylvania tournament list is still undefeated in combat (6 wins, 4 draws ... two of which were time-outs in a favourable position). I'm not too shy to boast a bit every now and then, especially when it leads to challenging battles!

Anyway, behold the power of Sylvania:

Vampire Count (2nd lvl mage)
- Great weapon
- Summon Bats, Eartbind
- Book of Arkhan

2 Vampire Thralls (they’re twins!)
- Great weapon, heavy armour, shield
- Summon Wolves, Wolf form

Wraith, mounted
- The Cursed Book

19 Sylvanian Militia
- Full command

2x 19 Sylvanian Levy
- Full command

3x 5 Dire Wolves
- One unit scouting

2x 5 Fell Bats

10 Drakenhof Templars
- Full command
- The Drakenhof Banner

We both agreed on trying our regular tournament lists against eachother, but I had never actually seen that list in action and only a vague idea of what I was going to face … a 2nd generation Slann mage-priest. I knew he liked Skinks as well. As it turned out I didn’t have to face the 40K Skinks nightmare, but a well-balanced (and deadly hard) list with a lot of variety:

(... from memory, but I think I'm pretty close)

Slann Mage Priest (2nd generation), Battle Standard Bearer
- Plaque of Tepok (+1 spell)
- Diadem of Power (store up to 2 dice)

Saurus Scar-Veteran, Mark of Tepok
- Great weapon
- Gleaming Pendant of Chotec

19 Saurus Warriors, Mark of Tepok
- Full command

16 Temple Guards
- Full command

3x 10 Skinks
- Blow pipes
- One unit scouting

5 Saurus Cavalry
- Full command

3 Kroxigors

3 Terradons

2 Salamanders

... and yes, that magical powerhouse of a frog did make me a bit nervous with just 3 dispel dice and no scrolls :eek:

The battlefield was a large 4 by 6 feet table with several terrain features. My deployment zone had some ruins and some difficult terrain, his deployment zone and both flanks had several small forests … the centre was open terrain though. I decided to place my grave markers in the centre, one scattered into a forest near the Lizardmen lines.

Deployment didn’t show any daring or radical tactics. My opponent used a strong central led light (http://www.niceledlights.com) of infantry with the Saurus Cavalry and Kroxigors guarding both left and right flanks of the line. The Salamanders guarded the right-rear area and the Terradons the left-rear area. The scouting Skinks hid in a forest on the left flank and the remaining Skinks deployed close to the centre as well.

I deployed in my usual formation of a strong centre. The infantry formed a solid centre battle-line, the Cavalry behind them … ready push through an opening in the line or swing around the flank, depending on how the central battle developed. The Bats and Wolves were divided between both flanks to disrupt any plans of my opponent. The scouting wolves deployed deep on the right flank.

My Count had the Invocation and VanHels as his spells, the Slann used his mix-and-match ability to browse through several lores and ended up with The 2nd Sign, 3 damage spells and the one that destroys weapons from the Lore of Metal.

… so let the battle begin!
Just gone through entire thread and I really liked the report.. Can you share some more reports on latest battles.. I am highly excited to read them.. Thanks in advance:)

outbreak
17-07-2013, 23:09
Just gone through entire thread and I really liked the report.. Can you share some more reports on latest battles.. I am highly excited to read them.. Thanks in advance:)

I guess thread necromancy is in the spirit of sylvania? lol