PDA

View Full Version : Fightin' Sorcerers

Voltaire
08-08-2006, 21:28
Having scoured the Internet, I believe it is quite simple to field marginally offensive Sorcerors. A Sorcerer of Slaanesh on a Steed of Slaanesh with a Chaos Daemon Sword would be a very effective unit in my opinion, for example. This wouldn't make things much more expensive than they normally are and would mean that your Sorcerors aren't just flitting around avoiding flyers, and if they are, they are fighting back.

So, if you had the chance to field a Sorceror who could hold his own in combat, would you use him in a more versatile role or would you stick with using him as a hermit of sorts, detatched from units and firing big balls of fire?

Mephistofeles
08-08-2006, 21:52
If you want aggresive sorcerors who can fight, you almost have to play some kind of Chaos, or else it won't work. And if you want a fighty spellcaster, why not just take a daemon and be done with it?

I don't think anyone else can have spellcasters who can fight in any real way.

(Slann, Vampires and Imperial Wizards with Van Horstmann's Speculum doesn't count :P)

(To answer your question; If I could have a warrior-wizard, I would have him in a unit. Characters are always of more use in units)

Highborn
08-08-2006, 22:15
I'd keep him with a unit still, to keep him safe from the new targetting rules. I wouldn't rely on him as a hitty character, because for the amount of points you'd be giving up he'd be the most expensive hitty character around.

DeathMasterSnikch
08-08-2006, 22:32
I'd keep him with a unit still, to keep him safe from the new targetting rules. I wouldn't rely on him as a hitty character, because for the amount of points you'd be giving up he'd be the most expensive hitty character around.

Exactly what I was going to say. The day of the hermit is going to become a lot more difficult I think.

shadowprince
08-08-2006, 23:02
the fighting mages is always a fun and interesting aspect. Chaos can do it, a truthsayer can, empire mage on a pegasus with van hostmens speculem. High elfs have two items that turns fighters into wizards, Ogres, Ulric priests Chaos is nice though becuase you get armor.

Voltaire
09-08-2006, 12:05
I know some armies have the ability to create havoc with a single character (Mage on Dragon for example), but I fear that the somewhat lacking toughness of most wizards means they wouldn'tbe very tactically viable unit. However using something like the Daemonsword or Van Horstmanns Speculem would be a nice idea.

maze ironheart
09-08-2006, 12:17
I agree with shadowprince using van horstmann's speculem with a battle wizard is a good item.It's interesting when they come up against a hero that would usaully destroy them in a duel.

chivalrous
09-08-2006, 12:28
There aren't many wizards who could get away with being fighty as most only have a basic soldiers profile with most importantly only a single attack (in fact doesn't a sorcerer of Slaanesh only have a single attack?) makes the points you spend on that wonderful weapon of doom a bit pointless (Chaos daemon sword being the exception). There are also much better ways to spend your points, such as all the wonderful arcane items on offer.

As to where to place the character, if mounted then always in a unit as you're not loosing anything in terms of your line of sight.
If on foot, the decision is a little more difficult since you trade the protection of a unit, with a reduction in your arc of vision (reduced from 360 degrees when alone, to 90 degrees in a unit).

I do think in 7th ed that in a unit is the best place to be although I don't think the loss of the 5" rule is going to be as nasty for wizards as everyone suggests, since archers can't split their fire any longer making the decision to pick a target a little more considered.

(Slann, Vampires and Imperial Wizards with Van Horstmann's Speculum doesn't count :P)

I don't see why they shouldn't, Vampires certainly are the epitome of fighty wizards.

CarlostheCraven
09-08-2006, 12:35
I really enjoyed my chaos daemon sword weilding nurgle sorcerer lord on chariot. US 5 for the rank negating action. Most do not even see the big sword coming...

On another note, high elf wizards with seer can be tooled for combat if your pick from the right lore - flaming sword of ruin, bear's anger, etc. I think you can squeeze in a ward save as well.

Cheers

Voltaire
14-08-2006, 14:08
Well, seeing as how in the next edition the 'Fightin Sorceror' is going to become more of a necessity, how are you all going to adapt to this?

I am planning on playing my Sorceror in with my chosen Knights giving him the Lore of Fire and giving them the Banner of Wrath. This should provide a nasty suprise when fireballs and bound spells go flying round followed by it obviously being a monstrous combat unit.

Rae'arc
14-08-2006, 17:15
Yeah I like that idea... sorceress in the heavy cav. She'll even get a 5+ armour save on the cold one. Fast and hitty so that there probably won't be too much to strike back at her when it's their turn to strike. It's nice.

The only problem is that the unit becomes even more of priority to kill... if that was even possible. It's a big loss.

For the first time I think the sect emnity rule might come into play. Who would've thought? Not that many people seem to play the assassin these days...

Now i'm just going off on tangents...

As you were...

Scythe
15-08-2006, 10:05
I do think in 7th ed that in a unit is the best place to be although I don't think the loss of the 5" rule is going to be as nasty for wizards as everyone suggests, since archers can't split their fire any longer making the decision to pick a target a little more considered.

Well, if I have the choice between nailing a wizard or killing 2 rank and file troopers with my ten bowmen, I know where I will be aiming for...;)

maze ironheart
15-08-2006, 11:23
Here's a question dose executinner's get their killing blow aganist chaos worriors.

DeathlessDraich
15-08-2006, 11:45
Yes. man-size model

Voltaire
15-08-2006, 12:59
Is that even relevant?

My beastmen shaman will be hiding in a large herd while another will be acting as support for my trolls. :)

TheWarSmith
15-08-2006, 13:21
My sorcs are always fighty, cause they're champions of tzeentch.

HAZAAAH!

coelomate
15-08-2006, 17:25
Once Bear's Anger becomes spell 1, a spellsinger/weaver on a unicorn could be scary - especially if it joined a unit of Wild Riders for protection.

And really, wizards belong on unicorns, it'd be worth it just for the model!

vampires are cool!
15-08-2006, 18:13
fire! muchly fire!

TheWarSmith
15-08-2006, 19:37
They'll probably amend Bear's Anger to only work on models on foot. It is odd in that you can use it on a model in the unit who's on foot, but it doesn't say the caster can't be mounted. I think they'll change this.

To the poster below:: Technically it's remains in play, so you could theoretically have had it from last turn, but for the most part, you're dead on. Just like orange fire, but chances are a tzeentch champion can handle his own in combat anyway.

10th clancannach rangers
15-08-2006, 19:58
The problem with using spells like the bear's anger is that you'll have to charge you wizard into combat before seeing if the spell will be cast.

Scythe
17-08-2006, 07:52
Indeed. Which is the problem with most combat spells really. Some remains in play spells which affect the opponent are even worse; the opponent gets a chance to dispel in his own magic phase before the combat phase rolls along.

maze ironheart
17-08-2006, 09:16
You do know that if your opponent trys to despell a remain in play spell on his turn he is using his own power dice as despell dice.Because my opponent use to do that until i checked the rule book and it says that if you opponent wishis to despell a spell on his turn he has to use his power dice as despell.

Scythe
17-08-2006, 09:50
Sure, it will cost him 2-3 power dice, but it is usually worth it to keep his until from dieing in the combat phase.